NBA Live 10 Demo (360)

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

Well feel better Dan...

I'll have the game in a few hours. I'm definitely looking forward to this over NBA 2k...for the first time in probably 6 years. So we'll see how it goes.

AJColossal
Starting 5
Starting 5

Post by AJColossal »

Yeah, I picked it up too. Was ready for a change, and it sounded good enough this year. From what I've heard, 2K sounds like same ol' same ol', and I don't think I feel like going through that for another year.

In this day of exclusive rights, I can't remember the last time I was torn between two titles, though.

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

AJColossal wrote:In this day of exclusive rights, I can't remember the last time I was torn between two titles, though.
Isn't it great? Just imagine if the NBA sold out to EA Sports too...we'd be playing the same piece of s*** NBA Live game they came out with in this Gen of consoles. That would be VERY bad. I'm happy to support both publishers (I bought both games of course, lol)...just keep making the games better and I'll keep buying.

ScoopBrady
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Re: NBA Live 10 Demo (360)

Post by ScoopBrady »

How do you go from this
dbdynsty25 wrote:No, it's just that per usual, it's behind even last years NBA 2k. It's okay...it's better than last years Live, but still, they've got a ton of work to do to catch up to 2k.
To this?
dbdynsty25 wrote:I'll have the game in a few hours. I'm definitely looking forward to this over NBA 2k...for the first time in probably 6 years. So we'll see how it goes.
I haven't decided if I'm getting a basketball game this year. I liked last years Live but Madden and NHL are so strong this year I don't see myself playing much of any other sport.
I am a patient boy.
I wait, I wait, I wait, I wait.
My time is water down a drain.

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

Scoop, from the 2k10 thread:
Demo = ehhhh

I don't know...this thing is just same old same old. It certainly looks better than Live but I think I may just be sick of playing the 2k game. I don't know...I'm gonna buy both of course, but from the demos...after a horrible first impression, Live seems to be inching ahead. I mean, I'm sure that 2k will probably be a better game that plays more realistic, but at some point, playing the same game gets a bit tired. I play the sh*t out of the NBA games, so I may just need a year off from the 2k formula. That said, 2k will probably win in the head to head when I get em.

ScoopBrady
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by ScoopBrady »

Ah, that makes sense. That's pretty much why I went with Live last year. Having played NBA 2k since the beginning I really needed to change things up. Post some impressions when you can.
I am a patient boy.
I wait, I wait, I wait, I wait.
My time is water down a drain.

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

The early edge definitely goes to Live. 2k really does feel same old same old. There are things that it does better (namely player faces, signature styles, etc.) but from a pure fun and gameplay standpoint, I am loving Live.

EZSnappin
Starting 5
Starting 5

Post by EZSnappin »

Picked up Live today and am really, really impressed. The gameplay is very sharp, the teams - for the most part - play like their real life counterparts and for the first time in forever and a day you can play 12 minute quarters. I think fouls need to be bumped up a good bit, but I don't think I'll need to change much else slider-wise.

First game out of the box, no changes, I played Celtics (me) v Knicks, 12 min quarters. Final score: C's 113, NYK 95. C's shot 49%, NYK 42.3%. Held the Knicks to 4-19 from 3, out rebounded them by 12. They had 25 assists to my 21, and they got 10 points off the break. Turnovers were 16 for them and 17 for me, with 7 steals each.

Was a three point game at the half, but I clamped down in the third and Ray and Paul ran the PnR with both Sheed and Garnett to perfection. Up by twenty with ten minutes to go, subbed in some scrubs and they got a few steals and easy buckets to cut into the lead. A small recommendation: don't try to run a fast break with Big Baby dribbling and Perk on the wing. Didn't even make it to the arc before I got stripped.

Some individual stats:
Garnett - 22 pts, 14 rebs, 4 ast
Wallace - 12 pts, 12 rebs, 4 ast
Pierce - 24 pts, 5 rebs, 2 ast
Allen - 25 pts, 6 rebs, 2 ast
Rondo - 15 pts, 6 rebs, 6 ast
Perkins - 8 pts, 6 rebs, 1 ast (top bench player)

Curry - 6 pts, 2 rebs, 0 ast
Lee - 6 pts, 14 rebs, 4 ast
Harrington - 24 pts, 9 rebs, 0 ast
Chandler - 14 pts, 2 rebs, 5 ast
Duhon - 14 pts, 1 rebs, 8 ast
Gallinari - 13 pts, 2 rebs, 1 ast (top bench player)

sportdan30
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by sportdan30 »

My wife picked up a copy for me this afternoon. I've only mustered one half of a game. Pacers at the Heat (me). Two things jumped out at me right away. First of all, I suck playing on All-Star. I must had the ball picked off a half a dozen times in two quarters. I had trouble getting open for shots, and my defense was terrible.

The last thing I noticed was frame rate or stuttering issues. This is on the PS3 mind you playing on broadcast cam. Now, I haven't tried out other arenas or cams, but this is very concerning, because overall I really enjoy this game. These are quick impressions partly because I haven't played much, and I don't feel a 100 percent.

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

Did they fix the free throw issues from Live 09?

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

There isn't any stuttering on the 360. Now, NBA 2k10 stutters like a mofo on the default cam.

MUTTS
Starting 5
Starting 5

Post by MUTTS »

Any truth that dynasty mode is messed up...very unrealistic stats?

Can this be countered with their season mode and the dna?

Tony

AJColossal
Starting 5
Starting 5

Post by AJColossal »

I haven't messed around with franchise or simulating stats, but I've heard some hit or miss things like Kobe only averaging 21 ppg in one simulation or Richard Hamilton taking 700 3pt. Even the worst I've heard seems tolerable, but I guess it's not perfect.

As for the game itself, the thing that comes to mind is fundamentals. Gameplay-wise, it's fundamentally very sound -- something I feel 2K was neglecting the last couple years. As for graphics, commentary, presentation (although crowd/arena sounds are awesome) -- I feel 2K still has the edge in these departments, but the gameplay really is the star of the show here.

If you feel 2K has gotten a little stagnant, I would recommend the switch.

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

It's funny...I "think" I prefer 2k this year...but then I go and play a real game (12 min.) and by the middle of the 2nd quarter I start nit picking about things that annoy me and I end up wishing I was playing 2k. It's really damn weird. I hate having two good games. It's been so easy to just dump Live in the past few years, now I've actually got a real dilemma on my hands. :)

sportdan30
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by sportdan30 »

Got the frame rate issues resolved. A quick delete and reinstall did the trick.

I lowered CPU steals and interceptions a couple notches, and had a great game played on Pro. Lost to the Knicks by 10 in Chicago, but really was distracted by my kids in the fourth quarter. Prior to that, I was leading by 3-5 points through the third quarter. This game punishes you for playing lackadaisical offense and defense.

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

Yeah, I was wondering what Framerate issues you were seeing in Live. I only get em in 2k...and its a lot of em. :) I really can't decide which game I like better. Crap.

AJColossal
Starting 5
Starting 5

Post by AJColossal »

No framerate issues on PS3 for me (NBA Live).

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

Have free throws been fixed in Live this year? Last year the were waaaaay too easy with any player including Shaq.

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

Rodster wrote:Have free throws been fixed in Live this year? Last year the were waaaaay too easy with any player including Shaq.
What do you mean, fixed? You have a little meter that fills up and you have to stop it right on the sweet spot or you miss. Bigger sweet spot for better shooters. I'm sure once you get used to the speed it'll be easy, but not any easier than 2k's version of free throw shooting.

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

dbdynsty25 wrote:
Rodster wrote:Have free throws been fixed in Live this year? Last year the were waaaaay too easy with any player including Shaq.
What do you mean, fixed? You have a little meter that fills up and you have to stop it right on the sweet spot or you miss. Bigger sweet spot for better shooters. I'm sure once you get used to the speed it'll be easy, but not any easier than 2k's version of free throw shooting.
Last year they used a meter bar that went from left to right. All you had to do was press the "shoot button" before it went into the red and your free throw was basically 100% good even with Shaq.

Zlax45
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Zlax45 »

Good deal on Gamestop...

10 percent off and free overnight shipping

http://www.gamestop.com/thedeal
My xbox live name is "The Zlax45"

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

You can buy it for $49.99 at Amazon.com with no tax and 2 day shipping with a Prime Trail membership. :)

Since you guys are talking up both games I may jump on the TRU deal and pickup both along with Uncharted 2.

jLp vAkEr0
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by jLp vAkEr0 »

Hmm would this be the year I finally get back to some video game bball?

I really liked the Live demo.

AJColossal
Starting 5
Starting 5

Post by AJColossal »

If you liked the demo, I would go for it. Plays much better than the demo, IMO.

sportdan30
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by sportdan30 »

Played a few more games this afternoon, and I'm not feeling it like I thought I would. There's a few things that are rather annoying. First, when you're driving, it's hard to stop and shoot. It takes you in to an animation you didn't intend. Also, the driving lay-ups seem a bit forced and it's easy to recognize it's going to be a missed shot. The presentation IMO is lacking which really cuts down on the immersive feeling. At least on the PS3 version, there is no music or commentary between the quarters (not sure about season play, but definitely during the quick play feature). It's rather hard to hard to hear the PA announcer as well.

After playing NHL '10, this game just feels a little less finished and exciting. Gonna give it some more time, but might be willing to sell this game at a discount if anyone is interested.