2007 NCAA Football Discussion

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

MizzouRah
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by MizzouRah »

All I can say is this Tiger team better get their heads out of their asses. Yes, we won... but Illinois damn near won today.

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

wco81 wrote:No Heisman hopes?
Running for 188 against I-AA competition doesn't hurt Hart's Heisman hopes, but it doesn't help them, either. It's I-f*cking-AA -- I don't care if Appy State won the national title.

Plus if Michigan loses three or four games this season, Hart's hopes will be dashed. The Heisman winner almost always comes from one of the top teams in the land.

And Michigan sure doesn't look like one of those right now.

Take care,
PK
"You know why I love boxers? I love them because they face fear. And they face it alone." - Nick Charles

"First on the throttle, last on the brakes." - @MotoGP Twitter signature

XBL Gamertag: pk4425

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

EZSnappin wrote:
pk500 wrote:At least Notre Dame is losing. That provides some comfort.
Don't you just know it! Always makes my Saturday when Touchdown Jesus has to cover his eyes in shame. :twisted:
And there was a ton of shame today. No tears here, at least from that result.

ND is pathetically slow. About the only team that might be slower in I-A is Syracuse!

Take care,
PK
"You know why I love boxers? I love them because they face fear. And they face it alone." - Nick Charles

Teal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Teal »

:evil: sigh...another year, another pathetic opening day display against a team that's supposed to be a warm up act...

It's very difficult to be an Auburn fan some days...
www.trailheadoutfitters.org
trailheadoutfitters.wordpress.com
facebook.com/Intentional.Fatherhood

RobVarak
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by RobVarak »

tjung0831 wrote:
You must have missed the part where Mizzou is considered a favorite by many to win the Big 12 north this year and have a shot at a BCS game.
Illinois is going down today for sure.
No, I didn't miss a thing. They managed to win by 6, but considering Illinois was using a true freshman backup QB for 3 quarters I don't feel any less convinced about my original statement. It's not last year's Illinois team, and if it wasn't for that back-breakng 100yd fumble return that's a very different game.
All I can say is this Tiger team better get their heads out of their asses. Yes, we won... but Illinois damn near won today.
I think they're going to be a lot like last year. That defense is better, but still probably not where it needs to be to compete at a BCS level.
Last edited by RobVarak on Sun Sep 02, 2007 11:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
XBL Gamertag: RobVarak

"Ok I'm an elitist, but I have a healthy respect for people who don't measure up." --Aaron Sorkin

Zlax45
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Zlax45 »

I attended BC/Wake Forest today and BC is really throwing the ball all over the field. Coach Jags and Steve Logan really want to use Matt Ryan to become a throwing quarterback as he ONLY threw for 5 TD's and 400 yards as the Eagles won 38-28 with Wake getting two defensive TD's.
My xbox live name is "The Zlax45"

kevinpars
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by kevinpars »

There were times when the K State QB looked like Charlie Ward. He looked really good rolling out and hitting his receiver on the run. That first drive by K State looked like something out of NCAA 08 - where the defense holds on first and second down and then the QB looks like a pro on third down. Teal, I can imagine your frustration, but a win is a win.

I hope that defense end for Tennessee is OK. That was one of those plays where as soon as you see it, you start to worry about the player being seriously hurt. He had no movement when they took him off the field - but I hope that was just temporary. Anyone heard anything? It really was a sobering way to end a fun day of watching football. I am about the least religious person I know, but I said a quick prayer as soon as I saw that hit on replay.

Jackdog
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Jackdog »

Inuyasha wrote:The annually over-rated teams, Michigan and ND lose.
I could give a s*** less about ND. But your talking out of your ass about Michigan. The difference between the two teams is Michigan has talent. They just don't have a coach that knows how to use it.

Where would you have ranked Michigan at the start of the season with all the talent they have on that team? If you say anything other then the top 10 your full of s***.
[img]http://www.ideaspot.net/flags/Big_10/small/mich-sm.gif[/img][img]http://www.ideaspot.net/nfl/NFC_North/small/pack1-sm.gif[/img]

wco81
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by wco81 »

Apparently, Jimmy Claussen, the QB whom supposedly every big program wanted, got in the game for Notre Dame but didn't do much.

One of ND's problems is suppose to be overall lack of team speed. Whoever was advising the kid must not have noticed, only figured Weiss could make him another Tom Brady.

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

wco81 wrote:Apparently, Jimmy Claussen, the QB whom supposedly every big program wanted, got in the game for Notre Dame but didn't do much.

One of ND's problems is suppose to be overall lack of team speed. Whoever was advising the kid must not have noticed, only figured Weiss could make him another Tom Brady.
Clausen is still trying to figure out why it's wrong to be 19 and trying to buy alcohol. Maybe that fine ND education will start to kick in soon. :)

And yes, ND's lack of team speed is appalling. Same with Syracuse. I'll be hard-pressed to see two slower I-A teams than I did Friday night and Saturday afternoon on opening weekend of college football 2007.

Take care,
PK

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

Claussen is still recovering from offseason shoulder surgery. That kid is legit though. Played ball right down the street from my house so I got to see and hear a lot of him.

Teal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Teal »

kevinpars wrote:There were times when the K State QB looked like Charlie Ward. He looked really good rolling out and hitting his receiver on the run. That first drive by K State looked like something out of NCAA 08 - where the defense holds on first and second down and then the QB looks like a pro on third down. Teal, I can imagine your frustration, but a win is a win.

I hope that defense end for Tennessee is OK. That was one of those plays where as soon as you see it, you start to worry about the player being seriously hurt. He had no movement when they took him off the field - but I hope that was just temporary. Anyone heard anything? It really was a sobering way to end a fun day of watching football. I am about the least religious person I know, but I said a quick prayer as soon as I saw that hit on replay.

Yeah, I wrote that before the game ended...and I'm happy for a win. BUT...Auburn's just gotta try to put themselves into a hole early year after year. Thank God for penalties and mistakes by K State, or the game would have certainly gone the other way.

Haven't heard about the Tenn DE, but it looked really bad...
www.trailheadoutfitters.org
trailheadoutfitters.wordpress.com
facebook.com/Intentional.Fatherhood

Bill_Abner
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Bill_Abner »

JackDog wrote:
Inuyasha wrote:The annually over-rated teams, Michigan and ND lose.
Where would you have ranked Michigan at the start of the season with all the talent they have on that team? If you say anything other then the top 10 your full of s***.
Pre-season polls are still the worst part of college football, even worse than the BCS itself. That said, Michigan as a top 10 team I always thought was somewhat generous simply because of the defense. That secondary is just scary. I thought the #5 ranking was pretty darn high considering they lost top level players off a defense that got pretty much torched in its final 2 games. Sure, Henne, Hart, Long, Manningham, etc. are back and are all legit NFL talent, but you win with defense and when people are touting Crable as the leader ...yikes. So yea, I'd prolly have had them hovering around the 10-12 range until getting a chance to see the defense actually play, and then ranking them higher or lower off of that.

This remains the problem with the pre-season polls. Until they take pure opinion/speculation out of the game, it's going to be a problematic system.

It wouldn't surprise me in the slightest if we have only one team finish in the top 10 this year--whoever ends up winning the conference. I think the conference is way down this season.

I'm really curious to see where they rank Michigan now. My guess is that they'll still be ranked top 20 (I'll guess 17), which to me just makes absolutely no sense at all.
No High Scores:
http://www.nohighscores.com/

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

dbdynsty25 wrote:Claussen is still recovering from offseason shoulder surgery. That kid is legit though. Played ball right down the street from my house so I got to see and hear a lot of him.
Will he win the Heisman three times before his career at ND is done, Beano? :)

Take care,
PK

kevinpars
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by kevinpars »

Xavier Mitchell, defensive end for the tennessee Volunteers, had everybody holding their breath as the senior laid motionless on the field after a hard tackle near the end of the game.

For nearly five minutes the fate of Mitchell was unknown but before being carted of the field on a stretcher, his neck immobilized, he was able to give a thumbs up to the sold out Memorial Stadium that hosted the California Bears v. Tennessee contest.

A CT scan and X-rays were taken and showed no spinal damage and it was determined that Mitchell had suffered a concussion.
I must have missed the thumbs up, maybe it was the beer or maybe I was watching the end of the Auburn - K State game. Glad to hear the kid is OK.

Speaking of the Tigers. they have another game this week of the "win and its expected, lose and it's a shocker" against a good team when they play USF. Honestly, it is a second no win situation for Auburn. As an FSU fan, it does not matter much to me, but I know how hard it is when your team plays a game you are expected to win, but in reality is harder just showing up and playing. USF can play - they went into Morgantown and beat WVU last year.

USF is something of an amazing story when you consider that they started from scratch in 1994 and are now in a major conference and went to a bowl last year.

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

I thought Florida State changed offensive coordinators with hopes of improving???

Nozzleman_216
Starting 5
Starting 5

Post by Nozzleman_216 »

We think JB is getting to the play before it gets to Drew. Seriously though, he IS in the booth. WTF!!!!!!!!!!!! This is embarrassing. I love my Noles but this is outright sickening. We don't have the players we used to, Bobby must be killing our recruiting, I don't know what else it could be other than we are down.

5pts at this point. I think my beloved Reds scored more than that today! :cry:

edit: On another note, our O line is small, inexperienced and they plain suck! Drew has NO time to throw, and while it sucks for him XLee needs to be put him and given some free reign to run.

HEY A BIG RUN as I am typing WOW! Antone is struggling because of the shittty Oline too.
XBL: Nozzleman 216
PSN: Nozzleman_216

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

At least the Noles are making a game of it. That third and short long run was a HUGE play for them. Seemed to get them going.

I was bored in the first half...at least it's competitive now.

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

That was a horrible call at the end of the game. Dude caught the ball, got one foot in, then stepped out, then got hit and fumbled. Ball should have been out of bounds and the clock stopped with 2 seconds left. Not quite sure how they could call that incomplete. But hey, FSU lost so who am I to argue.

Zlax45
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Zlax45 »

dbdynsty25 wrote:That was a horrible call at the end of the game. Dude caught the ball, got one foot in, then stepped out, then got hit and fumbled. Ball should have been out of bounds and the clock stopped with 2 seconds left. Not quite sure how they could call that incomplete. But hey, FSU lost so who am I to argue.
How Boston College looked this weekend compared to these two teams, I would consider them a pretty strong contender in the Atlantic Division.
My xbox live name is "The Zlax45"

pigpen81
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pigpen81 »

Zlax45 wrote:
dbdynsty25 wrote:That was a horrible call at the end of the game. Dude caught the ball, got one foot in, then stepped out, then got hit and fumbled. Ball should have been out of bounds and the clock stopped with 2 seconds left. Not quite sure how they could call that incomplete. But hey, FSU lost so who am I to argue.
How Boston College looked this weekend compared to these two teams, I would consider them a pretty strong contender in the Atlantic Division.
Oh no, not you again. :cry:

bkrich83
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by bkrich83 »

wco81 wrote:Apparently, Jimmy Claussen, the QB whom supposedly every big program wanted, got in the game for Notre Dame but didn't do much.

ND lacks speed yes. But their biggest problems are protection problems in the offensive line, and 3 QB's who've never played before. Bad combo, as you can't rely on them to check out of a bad play vs. a given defense, and their decision making process, is not yet developed, especially when it comes to forcing a play, taking a sack, or throwing the ball away. Not to mention young QB's are especially susceptible to having their internal clocks sped up immensely after taking a few hits in the pocket.

GT was the exact wrong team to start off with. They give you a ton of looks defensively, bring a lot of pressure from a lot of different directions and are very athletic on defense. You could see that beating coming from a mile away.

I am no ND fan, but they will improve, they've got some young talent, Weis has been pretty good in recruiting, it's just a matter of getting some of the young guys acclimated to playing at this level. I don't see them winning a lot of games this year, but I think in the next year or two they will again be a legit national power. That being said, I sure hope USC puts a serious beating on them. As ND is the one school I truly hate in college football.
-BK

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

Now ND just needs to pick one of the three QBs. I am a firm believer of sticking with one guy and letting him take his lumps if the team is struggling. Cycling three QBs who have never played before is a recipe for disaster...case in point, Saturday. Pick one and go.

kevinpars
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by kevinpars »

Based on the game last night, FSU obviously has a lack of talent on the offensive side of the ball. I know that their offensive line is young and inexperienced, but Weatherford takes way too long to get rid of the ball.

When FSU got the ball for one last chance with 30 seconds left, my first though was that Weatherford would waste most of that time scrambling around looking for a receiver. Sure enough, that is what he did.

I don't understand why FSU didn't run any quick routes - 3 step drop and fire off a pass. I also don't understand why it took so long to get the play called to avoid wasting timeouts to avoid delay penalties. Did I mention that Weatherford takes forever to get off a pass?

As for Clemson, the same formula that worked last year should work this year - stop the run and make them pass. And their punt team looks just as bad as it did last year.

Nozzleman_216
Starting 5
Starting 5

Post by Nozzleman_216 »

I agree, the play at the end of the game was CRAP! Would it have mattered...I doubt it, BUT we should have had one more shot at it. He caught it, his left foot went out then was hit and fumbled. The only reason I can think of that they didn't overturn was the Idiot student section was already on the field.

Like I said, I don't think it would have mattered as Drew was the most confidence lacking QB I have seen in a long time. I understand the O line was not helping things but still, when he did have time he made some horrible throws and the few throws that were borderline OK were dropped.

All in all, the Offense sucked, the D sucked in the first half but looked like the most experienced, fast, and talented D in the nation during the 2nd. I just don't get it. I wonder if Jimbo's new Offense is complicated for these kids to learn. Was it dumbed down for this game as they are still implementing things? SO many unanswered questions from last night! :cry:
XBL: Nozzleman 216
PSN: Nozzleman_216