Apple and Macs: New products, iMacs, iWork, iLife

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

$250 for an 80GB iPod Classic, $349 for a 160GB iPod Classic. So much for the argument that iPods are overpriced.

160 gigs for the same price as the existing 80-gigger -- that's a hell of a deal for anyone seeking a high-capacity MP3 player.

Take care,
PK
"You know why I love boxers? I love them because they face fear. And they face it alone." - Nick Charles

"First on the throttle, last on the brakes." - @MotoGP Twitter signature

XBL Gamertag: pk4425

greggsand
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by greggsand »

iTouch looks cool - but 16gb seems a bit small. I have a 40gb iPod now & would have to 'whittle' down alot of stuff for an iTouch.

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

The iTouch has only 8 and 16gb of space...not sure if I like that. And I also wonder if it will work with my existing car setup. Everything is hardwired to my Kenwood deck. Not sure if the old interface is compatible with the new. If it were, I'd be all over the 16GB I touch I think. Especially with the WIFI built in...so wireless syncing to your PC. NUTS.

(see Sport, when they come out with cool sh*t, I buy it...lol).

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

pk500 wrote:$250 for an 80GB iPod Classic, $349 for a 160GB iPod Classic. So much for the argument that iPods are overpriced.
Yeah, as of last gen, they were fairly priced. I argued it until then. $350 a year ago for an 80GB was a hellova deal at the time. Now, twice the capacity, same price. Can't argue with that.

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

greggsand wrote:iTouch looks cool - but 16gb seems a bit small. I have a 40gb iPod now & would have to 'whittle' down alot of stuff for an iTouch.
That's way to small for me even at 16GB. I guess we're asked to pay for the wow factor and newness of the product. I have close 14 GB of Star Trek episodes alone.

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

Rodster wrote:I have close 14 GB of Star Trek episodes alone.
That's not something you want to admit publicly, man. ;)

Take care,
PK
"You know why I love boxers? I love them because they face fear. And they face it alone." - Nick Charles

"First on the throttle, last on the brakes." - @MotoGP Twitter signature

XBL Gamertag: pk4425

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

pk500 wrote:
Rodster wrote:I have close 14 GB of Star Trek episodes alone.
That's not something you want to admit publicly, man. ;)

Take care,
PK
:lol:

But, but I can explain. A rats it's no use.

Diablo25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Diablo25 »

dbdynsty25 wrote:IPhone also down to $399 for their 8GB model. A 200 dollar price cut...sh*t.
I can't imagine they would cut the price that much that quickly. Are you sure?
XBLive Gamertag - Diablo25
PSN Name - EPDiablo25

Sudz
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Sudz »

it is down..

and do u need 14G of star wars eps on you at all times?

JRod
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by JRod »

The iPhone 8G is now $399.

Guess after-launch sales were't that strong. Lovely for those that paid 699 two months ago.
[url=http://sensiblecoasters.wordpress.com/][b]Sensible Coasters - A critique of sports games, reviews, gaming sites and news. Questionably Proofread![/b][/url]

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

JRod I read on some tech website that Apple has already sold like 4.5 million units which far, far exceeds their initial plans. My guess is that if the price is too far out of whack with the new iPod consumers might just lean on the latter.

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

Rodster wrote:JRod I read on some tech website that Apple has already sold like 4.5 million units which far, far exceeds their initial plans. My guess is that if the price is too far out of whack with the new iPod consumers might just lean on the latter.
Not exactly the correct analysis in my opinion. Fact is, most people who wanted an iPhone, already bought one. People just aren't buying them anymore. I have a feeling you're going to see a significant drop off in the August numbers...which resulted in this huge price cut. I'm sure they'll come out with a new, higher capacity before the holidays to capitalize on that market, but for the most part, it has slowed considerably from a selling standpoint.

Spooky
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Spooky »

Wow! $200 less!?!? That is a lot in a 3 month time frame. I could see like $50 or something, but $2-freakin'-hundred!?!?

I don't regret my initial purchase at all as it is easily worth the extra money I have paid to have one for the past few months but I am still shocked at how much they discounted this after only a short time.
XBL Gamertag: Spooky Disco

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

Spooky wrote:Wow! $200 less!?!? That is a lot in a 3 month time frame. I could see like $50 or something, but $2-freakin'-hundred!?!?

I don't regret my initial purchase at all as it is easily worth the extra money I have paid to have one for the past few months but I am still shocked at how much they discounted this after only a short time.
It's quite possible that Apple plans on releasing newer iPhones with higher capacity for the original $599 price tag. What's the HDD size of the current iPhones, 8GB? If so maybe they plan on introducing a 16GB or 32GB iPhone. Usually when Apple drops the price on their gear they usually like to clear out their inventory for a newer model.

Sport73
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Sport73 »

Given that there are two very similar products (iPhone 8GB, iPod Touch 16GB), in the same family (iPod), at the same price point ($399), it's almost a certainty that a new high-end iPhone is coming.

I suspect we won't see it until January '08:

16 & 32 GB capacities
3G Wireless
Slightly modified enclosures.

The new iPods are (of course) fantastic in my opinion. Perfectly featured and priced to give everyone an iPod option this holiday season.
Sport73

"Can't we all just get along? I'll turn this car around RIGHT now!"

Diablo25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Diablo25 »

$200 price cut is very surprising but there is not much I can do about it now. I love my iPhone and sort of got a discount on my purchase. I sold my Zune for $220 on Ebay and put that towards my iPhone purchase. I know its not really a discount but it definitely took some sting out of the price.
XBLive Gamertag - Diablo25
PSN Name - EPDiablo25

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

Now that people figured how to unlock the iphone, maybe Apple is willingly happy to share their success other than AT&T.

JRod
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by JRod »

10spro wrote:Now that people figured how to unlock the iphone, maybe Apple is willingly happy to share their success other than AT&T.
And do what go with T-Mobile. Unless they change signals there's no way Verizon or Sprint has a shot at this thing. I guess if you wanted an iPhone that was a phone but then again wouldn't that just be the new iPod.
[url=http://sensiblecoasters.wordpress.com/][b]Sensible Coasters - A critique of sports games, reviews, gaming sites and news. Questionably Proofread![/b][/url]

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

JRod wrote:
10spro wrote:Now that people figured how to unlock the iphone, maybe Apple is willingly happy to share their success other than AT&T.
And do what go with T-Mobile. Unless they change signals there's no way Verizon or Sprint has a shot at this thing. I guess if you wanted an iPhone that was a phone but then again wouldn't that just be the new iPod.
It's called the LG Prada. It's an iPhone without all the hype. Coming to a Verizon store near you this Christmas (or so).

JRod
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by JRod »

The LG Prada. It looks like Kramer's "Williard".

Really its an iphone knockoff. That would be great if Apple was creating shitty products. Until they do, I'm going to stick with Apple. They consistantly deliver.

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

JRod wrote:The LG Prada. It looks like Kramer's "Williard".

Really its an iphone knockoff. That would be great if Apple was creating shitty products. Until they do, I'm going to stick with Apple. They consistantly deliver.
Except it came out before the iPhone in Europe.

Airdog
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Airdog »

That new interface and general "coolness" is almost enough to get me to dump my 30GB and move to this one.

We'll see.
- Rob
PSN: smearobe

macsomjrr
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by macsomjrr »

$100! Woo hoo! Guess I'll be getting myself a bluetooth headset for my iPhone now:)

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

Who's getting Leopard? I look forward to the new OS, I just put a pre-order with Amazon, they have a special $20 off with free shipping.

macsomjrr
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by macsomjrr »

Me! ME! MEEEEEE!

I've been waiting to get my hands on leopard for a long time so come next Friday I'll be picking up a shiny new OS for my MBP.