Ghost Recon Wildlands

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

TCrouch
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Re: Ghost Recon Wildlands

Post by TCrouch »

Danimal wrote:Get your ass on the Pc version for 1 night a week would you Terry!

I may have to break down and tough out the XB1, maybe it will be better on my XB1s
I played it for about an hour and a half last night after the wife passed out. That's about the only time I have for the PC version until she burns out on the game! :lol:

She tried the Xbox beta and wasn't feeling it, but then she tried PS4 and the magic happened. Last day of Open beta it's all we did, and same for the past 2 nights since unlock time.

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

By the way, Ubisoft has it going on, big time, in console gaming. The company has released The Division, Rainbow Six Siege, Steep and now Ghost Recon Wildlands in the last year, and they're four of my favorite games in this console generation.

Round of applause. The Frogs know how to make quality games. :)
"You know why I love boxers? I love them because they face fear. And they face it alone." - Nick Charles

"First on the throttle, last on the brakes." - @MotoGP Twitter signature

XBL Gamertag: pk4425

fletcher21
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by fletcher21 »

I downloaded the beta for GR. I ended up working 70h last week. I fired it up for the first time on Monday morning. Of course the beta was over lol.

A co worker of mine who is the definition of a video game addict said that Wildlands was a massive letdown. He said the graphics were s*** and the gameplay was stale and boring. He usually likes the things I do, and I value his opinion. Going by what you guys are saying, this is an early candidate for game of the year for 2017. How does it compare to Sniper Elite 4, which I love? Not sure why my co worker hated it so much, but he was 100% dead on when it came to the steaming pile of s*** that was the new Nascar game. Is everyone on here blown away by GR? Is it a solid game if you never plan to play with other real people and just do the campaign?

TCrouch
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by TCrouch »

Most people who are massively let down with it are playing it wrong, or focusing on the fact that it's a "Ubiworld" with icons everywhere.

With friends, it's an absolute riot. But he could hate the way it looks compared to other current games, sure. Gameplay is stale and boring is a new one to me. Repetitive could fit, since the missions are similar a lot of the time.

If you and your friend typically like the same stuff, then skip it. Opinions are like ***holes. Everybody has one.

I know that it's probably the BEST co-op game I've ever played, and you can be as sneaky and stealthy as you want, taking out entire camps without an alert going off, if all 4 players are working together--even if everybody is on Extreme difficulty with no AI. But it can also turn into Just Cause: Bolivia if you have one renegade clown in the group, or maybe sometimes somebody wants it to be that way. That's their style, can't fault them for it.

But stale and boring isn't something I'd consider describing it as. What third person shooter was "fresh and exciting" to him, then? Maybe a comparison would help.

Danimal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Danimal »

If your friend is into twitch shooters like COD and I'm betting he is then yeah he would hate this game.
Follow Me on:
YouTube - www.youtube.com/maxpixelation/
Twitch - twitch.tv/maximumpixelation
Twitter - twitter.com/maxpixelation

Danimal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Danimal »

Funny story, wish I had been recording. I went to do that mission where you steal the medical helicopter and one of my AI squad mates alerted the base somehow, first time that has ever happened. The guy was running for the copter and starter to take off an I knew I wasn't catching him so I tossed a grenade and it somehow landed perfectly and I blew that f***er up as he was about 50 feet off the ground.
Follow Me on:
YouTube - www.youtube.com/maxpixelation/
Twitch - twitch.tv/maximumpixelation
Twitter - twitter.com/maxpixelation

Pete1210
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Pete1210 »

My mixed impression of the beta was partly due to the way we were initially playing: Open world mayhem style. Then I discovered that with like minded players (or solo) you can have good Ghost Recon gameplay too.

My concern about repetitiveness was relieved after reading the Polygon pre-review.

"The vastness of the world and the ability to do it in any order makes it much more likely that, even after having spent hours and hours with the game, you and your friends will have no trouble finding something new and novel to accomplish. When you look at it through the lens of a single-player experience, it does seem a little overwhelming and repetitive, but if the ambition was to provide a co-op sandbox that stays fresh and continually presents new activities even after extensive play, thus far it seems successful."

http://www.polygon.com/2017/3/6/1483522 ... one-pc-ps4
XBL/PSN: Pete1210

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

Your friend is high, Fletch. Plain and simple.
"You know why I love boxers? I love them because they face fear. And they face it alone." - Nick Charles

TCrouch
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by TCrouch »

That's EXACTLY what I mean, Pete. Most people I've heard that disliked it, it was purely based on how they were playing, or who they were playing with.

Obviously no game is for everybody, but GRW is about the most open-ended, co-op friendly game I've ever seen. I have so much fun with it no matter when I boot it up, and what I'm doing. It's a travesty that Horizon Zero Dawn, Zelda, and Wildlands launched within a week of each other. No matter what, I'm missing out on time with some (potentially) all-time great games.

Teal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Teal »

pk500 wrote:
Ask Teal, Rob and Bill about my driving ... :)

:)

And flying. Lol. Actually, you can see the carnage for yourself. I game clipped both of the instances... :lol:
www.trailheadoutfitters.org
trailheadoutfitters.wordpress.com
facebook.com/Intentional.Fatherhood

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

Teal wrote:
pk500 wrote:

And flying. Lol. Actually, you can see the carnage for yourself. I game clipped both of the instances... :lol:
I flew? Oh, yeah, the Cessna! I almost pulled off that low-altitude diving roll. Almost. :)

GNARLY! :)

RobVarak
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by RobVarak »

Tried to land that Cessna at night on an unlit rebel runway cut onto the top of a mountain that was no loner or wider than the runway itself. I was sober and it was ugly. LOL How about some lights, comrades?
XBL Gamertag: RobVarak

"Ok I'm an elitist, but I have a healthy respect for people who don't measure up." --Aaron Sorkin

Teal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Teal »

RobVarak wrote:Tried to land that Cessna at night on an unlit rebel runway cut onto the top of a mountain that was no loner or wider than the runway itself. I was sober and it was ugly. LOL How about some lights, comrades?

I just did one and landed that sucker crossways from the runway... Lol. Rounded the mountain and bang, there was the runway... Lol. I managed to get it stopped, backed up, and wound up dicing a cow with the propeller... :lol:

Teal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Teal »

pk500 wrote:Your friend is high, Fletch. Plain and simple.
Hey, you were obviously high last night, and you had a blast. Just sayin'... :D

Diablo25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Diablo25 »

pk500 wrote:
Teal wrote:
pk500 wrote:

I flew? Oh, yeah, the Cessna! I almost pulled off that low-altitude diving roll. Almost. :)

GNARLY! :)
Click the link to see PK's flying "high" skills. :D

https://gameclipscontent-d3016.xboxlive ... 4a16367e16
XBLive Gamertag - Diablo25
PSN Name - EPDiablo25

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

More huge fun last night. Thanks, Rob, Teal and Terry!

I need to be more tactical. :)

TCrouch
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by TCrouch »

...not necessarily. Some of the most fun moments are when the group hears "OK, I'm attacking these g......I'm dead."!

Similar to MGS5, Wildlands shines when the best laid plans go to sh*t. That Heat-style shootout at the Hotel or whatever that was turned out to be bloody awesome. It has a nice pace of alternating between silent-elite-team and bunch-of-Rambos-shooting-anything-that-moves.

The fact that the game allows you to transition seamlessly between modes is unbelievable. "Somebody saw us? OK I'm removing the suppressor, turning on full auto, and just going nuts". When they don't, we can quickly mark everybody, and systematically leapfrog through a town like ninjas.

That's one of the things I kept trying to champion during the betas--the game really is whatever you make it. So a little "happy PK" chaos is part of its charm.

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

True, Terry. This game is a fantastic sandbox.

But I had such a ball in the beta working with Teal as a team to wipe out this enemy camp. I need to regain that ethos instead of acting like John Rambo all the time. :)

Teal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Teal »

pk500 wrote:True, Terry. This game is a fantastic sandbox.

But I had such a ball in the beta working with Teal as a team to wipe out this enemy camp. I need to regain that ethos instead of acting like John Rambo all the time. :)
I've figured out that your level of tactical coincides with your level of "happy"...lol. The more Cheeched you are, the more Rambo you become... :D

But Terry is right. It's gets really funny to hear "Here's dudes. I'm killing them. Because I'm a man...and I'm dead." :lol:

I dearly love taking a chopper without getting into a firefight. Don't get me wrong. That needs to happen sometimes. But the "oh sh*t" moments are just as fun, scrambling to go from tactical to mere survival makes this game shine. I love it when we're taking out guys quietly, and I hear "damn, I missed", followed by purple glows coming down the road, or sirens going off. Because sh*t's about to get real... :wink:

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

Teal wrote:I dearly love taking a chopper without getting into a firefight. Don't get me wrong. That needs to happen sometimes. But the "oh sh*t" moments are just as fun, scrambling to go from tactical to mere survival makes this game shine. I love it when we're taking out guys quietly, and I hear "damn, I missed", followed by purple glows coming down the road, or sirens going off. Because sh*t's about to get real... :wink:
You're a tremendous chopper pilot. T.C. from "Magnum P.I." would be impressed! :)

Teal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Teal »

pk500 wrote:
Teal wrote:I dearly love taking a chopper without getting into a firefight. Don't get me wrong. That needs to happen sometimes. But the "oh sh*t" moments are just as fun, scrambling to go from tactical to mere survival makes this game shine. I love it when we're taking out guys quietly, and I hear "damn, I missed", followed by purple glows coming down the road, or sirens going off. Because sh*t's about to get real... :wink:
You're a tremendous chopper pilot. T.C. from "Magnum P.I." would be impressed! :)
Why, thank you very much! :D

Teal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Teal »

Ain't gonna be on tonight. Traveling to the parents, mom has surgery in the morning. See you fellers tomorrow night.

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

Teal wrote:Ain't gonna be on tonight. Traveling to the parents, mom has surgery in the morning. See you fellers tomorrow night.
Best wishes to your mom!

Teal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Teal »

Mom did fine, I'm back, and ready for some GR! Anyone up for some pew pew tonight?

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

Teal wrote:Mom did fine, I'm back, and ready for some GR! Anyone up for some pew pew tonight?
Band practice if the snow subsides. So it would be after midnight (ET) for me, if at all.

Good news about mom!