HB Studios Next-Gen golf game: The Golf Club

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

Naples39
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Re: HB Studios Next-Gen golf game: The Golf Club

Post by Naples39 »

As long as golf swings in any game is based on a short, simple, up/down motion, people are going to perfect it and shoot unreal scores. The problem is not with the game or difficulty, it's that the motion a player has to make is too simple.

I said it earlier in the thread, but someone has to go and rethink video game golf gameplay.
XBL-Naples39; Steam-scrub47; GameCenter-MasterOnion39;

Jimmydeicide
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Jimmydeicide »

It sure does, all my friends shoot in the 60's on the weekend. They need to figure out where they are going with this game because at this rate the scores are going to be lower than Tiger.

FUGLY

DivotMaker
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by DivotMaker »

Naples39 wrote:As long as golf swings in any game is based on a short, simple, up/down motion, people are going to perfect it and shoot unreal scores. The problem is not with the game or difficulty, it's that the motion a player has to make is too simple.

I said it earlier in the thread, but someone has to go and rethink video game golf gameplay.
IMO, nothing short of a well integrated Kinect2 / Move2 functionality will deliver a satisfying, yet challenging swing and video Golf game experience.....the gamepads just aren't capable of making a challenging, yet fair Golf swing......Again, IMO.

Naples39
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Naples39 »

There's a lot more that could be done with the sticks; Circular motion? Two stick at once? Irregular tempo throws off aim?

No devs seem interested in trying.

DivotMaker
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by DivotMaker »

Naples39 wrote:There's a lot more that could be done with the sticks; Circular motion? Two stick at once? Irregular tempo throws off aim?

Because it won't work for the casual user who wants to grab the controller and play a simple game. Only hardcore enthusiasts would embrace such a swing and there aren't enough in the marketplace to justify catering only to hardcore sim enthusiasts....had similar discussions with EA and these guys have to cater to mainstream casuals or risk failure commercially....

TheTruth
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by TheTruth »

Naples39 wrote:There's a lot more that could be done with the sticks; Circular motion? Two stick at once? Irregular tempo throws off aim?

Actually, there is a thread at HB forum where one dev said he tried some kind of circular type swings but it didn't feel right/work well with chipping etc. I think they are open to try new things, will be interesting to see what changes they make after the first round of beta.
[b]Xbox Live Gamertag:[/b] [color=red]HOGZ TheTruth[/color] Wii: 7256 9991 5571 9701

Danimal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Danimal »

Jimmydeicide wrote:They need to figure out where they are going with this game because at this rate the scores are going to be lower than Tiger.
Ok lets not get crazy :)
Follow Me on:
YouTube - www.youtube.com/maxpixelation/
Twitch - twitch.tv/maximumpixelation
Twitter - twitter.com/maxpixelation

Diablo25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Diablo25 »

It's a beta. You guys act like they can't tweak the difficulty. Let's slow our roll on judgement...for now.
XBLive Gamertag - Diablo25
PSN Name - EPDiablo25

Naples39
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Naples39 »

Diablo25 wrote:It's a beta. You guys act like they can't tweak the difficulty. Let's slow our roll on judgement...for now.
Take your prudence and get the hell out!

:lol:

Diablo25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Diablo25 »

Naples39 wrote:
Diablo25 wrote:It's a beta. You guys act like they can't tweak the difficulty. Let's slow our roll on judgement...for now.
Take your prudence and get the hell out!

:lol:
8)
PSN Name - EPDiablo25

Aristo
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Aristo »

DivotMaker wrote:

Because it won't work for the casual user who wants to grab the controller and play a simple game. Only hardcore enthusiasts would embrace such a swing and there aren't enough in the marketplace to justify catering only to hardcore sim enthusiasts....had similar discussions with EA and these guys have to cater to mainstream casuals or risk failure commercially....
Yeah. Part of the problem is that the mouse swing that the TW guys nailed so well when they did PGA 2000 just never transferred to a controller nearly as well. The only TW game that was an interesting challenge was TW 11 and its real TrueAim mode. And it sold the worst of all the recent TW games, so I can't blame them for not going back, even if it was my favorite.

I'm willing to give this new game a shot, but for now, I'm having an absolute blast with Powerstar Golf and its three-click mode. I'm only 10 hours in or so, but my drives rarely hit 300 yards, and it takes hitting downhill and and wind to do it. My scores started at +10 and I have improved to playing to right around Par. The courses keep getting harder, but the decisions are good golf decisions, and the boosts are not game changers. I'm sure that by the time I finish the game I will have unlocked some overpowering equipment and boosts, but for now, it's just great golf. Its Rivals mode is a blast, but the game really needs live multiplayer for staying power.
XBL Gamertag: JayhawkerStL

MizzouRah
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by MizzouRah »

What about something like Golden Tee has? A trackball add on?

I'm just thinking out loud here as I haven't played that game in years.

MUTTS
Starting 5
Starting 5

Post by MUTTS »

Call me old fashioned but I like the 3 button click method like hot shots golf had. The speed of the meter controls the difficulty. The earlier you click, the more you hook the ball and the later you click equals fade/ slice.
Tony

Diablo25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Diablo25 »

Dev diary about the game being 'too easy'.
There has been some talk on the forum of certain aspects of the game being a little easy but our data is just not backing those claims up. The scores being posted are realistic and there is no individual player tearing up the courses.
PSN Name - EPDiablo25

JackB1
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by JackB1 »

Aristo wrote:
DivotMaker wrote:

Yeah. Part of the problem is that the mouse swing that the TW guys nailed so well when they did PGA 2000 just never transferred to a controller nearly as well. The only TW game that was an interesting challenge was TW 11 and its real TrueAim mode. And it sold the worst of all the recent TW games, so I can't blame them for not going back, even if it was my favorite.

I'm willing to give this new game a shot, but for now, I'm having an absolute blast with Powerstar Golf and its three-click mode. I'm only 10 hours in or so, but my drives rarely hit 300 yards, and it takes hitting downhill and and wind to do it. My scores started at +10 and I have improved to playing to right around Par. The courses keep getting harder, but the decisions are good golf decisions, and the boosts are not game changers. I'm sure that by the time I finish the game I will have unlocked some overpowering equipment and boosts, but for now, it's just great golf. Its Rivals mode is a blast, but the game really needs live multiplayer for staying power.
Your post got me curious about PGA 2000 so I downloaded the PC demo and tried it yesterday. What a great game. I forgot how well the mouse swing was back then. So now I am trying to find a place where I can download the full game. Anyone have any ideas? I tried googling it and came up empty.

JackB1
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by JackB1 »

Aristo wrote:
DivotMaker wrote:

Your post got me curious about PGA 2000 so I downloaded the PC demo and tried it yesterday. What a great game. I forgot how well the mouse swing was back then. So now I am trying to find a place where I can download the full game. Anyone have any ideas? I tried googling it and came up empty.

Naples39
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Naples39 »

JackB1 wrote:Your post got me curious about PGA 2000 so I downloaded the PC demo and tried it yesterday. What a great game. I forgot how well the mouse swing was back then. So now I am trying to find a place where I can download the full game. Anyone have any ideas? I tried googling it and came up empty.
I believe this is the whole shebang. PGA installation package+patches.
http://www.golfsimclubhouse.com/pga2000/utilities.htm

JackB1
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by JackB1 »

Naples39 wrote:
JackB1 wrote:Your post got me curious about PGA 2000 so I downloaded the PC demo and tried it yesterday. What a great game. I forgot how well the mouse swing was back then. So now I am trying to find a place where I can download the full game. Anyone have any ideas? I tried googling it and came up empty.
Thank You So Much!!!

Leebo33
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Leebo33 »

Yeah, thanks Naples. I messed around with that last night for a couple hours and I forgot how much fun that game was.

JackB1
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by JackB1 »

Naples39 wrote:
I downloaded the install file and it seemed to complete the installation and then when I click the .exe file to run the game I get an error saying
"file not found - reinstall game"

I tried it all over again and same problem. Any ideas? BTW I have Windows 8.1 and the PGA 2000 demo works fine.

Naples39
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Naples39 »

JackB1 wrote:
Naples39 wrote:
I downloaded the install file and it seemed to complete the installation and then when I click the .exe file to run the game I get an error saying
"file not found - reinstall game"

I tried it all over again and same problem. Any ideas? BTW I have Windows 8.1 and the PGA 2000 demo works fine.
I think that happened to me the first time. I think I just uninstalled and reinstalled and that worked. Not sure. Maybe a restart too.

MERACE
Utility Infielder
Utility Infielder

Post by MERACE »

Leebo33 wrote:Yeah, thanks Naples. I messed around with that last night for a couple hours and I forgot how much fun that game was.
I just re-installed it and played a couple rounds tonight and boy did it bring back great memories. 8)

PGA Championship Golf 2000 introduced me to TrueSwing and I've never gone back to clicking. :wink: I played that game on the Sierra servers every night for hours when it came out over 10 years ago. If a player got disconnected you could just wait for them to reconnect and then continue on with your round.

I found out that the game can still be played online via GameRanger. :)

-MERACE

JackB1
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by JackB1 »

I still can't get PGA 2000 to work!

Anyone else been able to use that install file posted here earlier, with success in Windows 8?
I keep getting the same error message. I've tried uninstalling, reinstalling, turning off the firewall.
Still says "can't locate file - reinstall". Ughhh!

I wonder if it's looking for the CD? Do I need a "No CD" crack maybe?

Pete
Starting 5
Starting 5

Post by Pete »

I have Windows 7 but initially it would not install for me neither.

My son installed it as Administrator in Windows XP service pack 3 compatibility mode. He is much more tech savy then me so I probably would not be able to answer any questions regarding this.

Runs fine now.

JackB1
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by JackB1 »

Pete wrote:I have Windows 7 but initially it would not install for me neither.

My son installed it as Administrator in Windows XP service pack 3 compatibility mode. He is much more tech savy then me so I probably would not be able to answer any questions regarding this.

Runs fine now.
I'll give that a try. Thanks.