XBox One AND PS4 Discussion

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

Danimal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Re: New Xbox AND PS4 Info/Rumors

Post by Danimal »

That's just it none of it makes sense. All this did for me, someone on the fence is make me questions what MS has up their sleeve because it must be something for Sony to want to get out ahead of it with that presentation. I've been to pressers before at E3 that was one of the tamest audience reactions to something like this I have seen.

If you're a Sony fan you were in anyway.
The press will eat it up for a week because that is what they are paid to do.

I liked a lot of the features they talked about but it would of been nice to see one in action. I'm not getting a new console though just so I can share video and watch a friend play a game.

I have no idea what they just gained by doing that and I'd give it a few days before the over hyped media realizes that was lackluster at best.

Oh and inviting Activision and not EA, that also struck me as odd.
Follow Me on:
YouTube - www.youtube.com/maxpixelation/
Twitch - twitch.tv/maximumpixelation
Twitter - twitter.com/maxpixelation

Feanor
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Feanor »

I don't see what's wrong with waiting till E3 to show the actual PS4 box, and we were never going to get the price today. That's for E3, or even later if they copy what MS did with the Kinect.

I was disappointed there was no Uncharted 4 footage, but I guess it just wasn't ready.
Diablo25 wrote:If I were Microsoft I'd be happy. They now can just respond to Sonys "announcement" at E3...and do it much better. I think Sony just blew an opportunity.
If the rumors are true that MS were planning to put 8 GB of the much slower GDDR3 RAM in the next Xbox, then they're going to be far from happy tonight.
Last edited by Feanor on Wed Feb 20, 2013 9:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

Did they mention GT6?

Danimal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Danimal »

No GTA, No sports games. Hell 90% of what they showed was video not real game play.

Really need to be a Playstation fan to see the good in tonight presentation. Amazes me that people are still console loyalists but they are still out there, kind of like Blackberry users. :D

The 8 Gigs of Ram is going to be the Sony flagpole of this gen like backwards comparability was last gen and that worked out so well.

Universally on twitter anyway this show isn't really lighting any fires.
Follow Me on:

XXXIV
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by XXXIV »

Danimal wrote:
Really need to be a Playstation fan to see the good in tonight presentation. Amazes me that people are still console loyalists but they are still out there, kind of like Blackberry users. :D
True.

With the way info is moving in today's world, fanboys have been rendered relatively powerless to spread their idiocy. These rah rah zombies are now pretty much extinct.

wco81
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by wco81 »

Rodster wrote:
Diablo25 wrote:If I were Microsoft I'd be happy. They now can just respond to Sonys "announcement" at E3...and do it much better. I think Sony just blew an opportunity.
Microsoft got Sony to play their game by dropping proprietary hardware design. Both consoles I believe are running DirectX 11.1 and i've never been a huge fan of DirectX. I much prefer OpenGL for image quality.
I doubt Sony would use DirectX.

Actually the rumored specs had Sony with the better hardware, especially the GPU. But MS was going to have 8 GB of DDR3 RAM and Sony was going to have 4 GB of DDR5.

So speculation is that it will be very hard if not impossible for MS to match or exceed. MS is supposedly aiming more at an all-around set top box, or they will have a lower-end box better for playing video and a higher end box more suited for games.

Maybe Sony felt confident that they had the better specs. which is why they announced it. Now, they have to figure out what kind of price they can deliver it at. Though they could always change the specs. Originally with the PS3, they announced dual HDMI and then took out one of the HDMI ports by the time they shipped.

Danimal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Danimal »

Just reading some more and I really like the social features, the streaming and video capture, the digital download while playing new games and many of the other features but I just can't shake the feeling this timing is beyond odd.

So you say it will be ready by end of the year That's 10 months. You don't show a box, you don't give details on specs, what does enhanced gpu mean? (I get not showing pricing at this point but no specs) and you talk about all of these features but don't show any of them in action. Lets say we don't see them in action to E3 that's 4 months from now, again I just don't get it.
Follow Me on:

Feanor
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Feanor »

The L2 and R2 triggers look better than the sloppy mess they were on the Dual Shock 3. More like the Real Triggers I had to buy to fix them.

XXXIV
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by XXXIV »

Are the 2 triggers's analog?

Huge deal for racers. Huge.

Feanor
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Feanor »

I assume so. They were analog on the Dual Shock 3, but they were slippery and mushy and awful.

XXXIV
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by XXXIV »

Feanor wrote:I assume so. They were analog on the Dual Shock 3, but they were slippery and mushy and awful.
Gran Turismo deserves the analog triggers the 360 controller has. All racing games do.

I have two ps3s hooked up that serve exclusively as blu ray players. I hope my ps4 ,and I will have at least one :P, will play games.

Feanor
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Feanor »

These are the released specs.

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

So you won't need to be online all the time to play PS4 games and used games are fine with the new console. Check this interview:

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2013- ... ida-on-ps4

Pete1210
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Pete1210 »

Here's a link to an article with the PS4 game videos:

http://www.nbcnews.com/technology/ingam ... -1C8462914

Looked pretty good to me, but I figure graphically the Nextbox and PS4 will be very close (again). I'll probably do what I did last time, Nextbox close to launch and PS4 after a price drop or two. It's xbox first because of xbox live and social gaming. Although I have some friends on PSN, I've never joined anyone for a game.
XBL/PSN: Pete1210

Danimal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Danimal »

mike95 wrote:Here's a link to an article with the PS4 game videos:
With the exception of Watchdogs and Killzone I'm pretty sure the rest of those were videos which may or may not of been actual game play. The SE was purely concept, I'm pretty sure the Capcom one was as well.

Having said that I would expect more considering nothing shown looks better than 90% of the PC games I own.
Follow Me on:

Danimal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Danimal »

10spro wrote:So you won't need to be online all the time to play PS4 games
You may not need to but considering the core of their new experience is sharing and social I would say 95% of their features would be pointless. The system can't learn from you if you're not online and then push downloads to your machine (idea I am not crazy about) You can't watch your friends play games, take control or share videos if you're not online.

The big cloud store where you can try before you buy you need to be online.

If you're not going to be online to take advantage of these very cool features. Then I'm not sure what the selling point is for the PS4?

The online portion and streaming my gameplay are the most exciting things to me.
Follow Me on:

Brando70
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Brando70 »

For console gaming, the controller is a huge consideration for me. I don't think the PS controller is bad, but I just prefer the 360 controller so much more, especially for racing and FPS games. To see what is essentially the same controller design since the PSX days is disappointing.

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

Brando70 wrote:For console gaming, the controller is a huge consideration for me. I don't think the PS controller is bad, but I just prefer the 360 controller so much more, especially for racing and FPS games. To see what is essentially the same controller design since the PSX days is disappointing.
But it's got a giant multi-colored light on the front. The old one only has a few small red ones. Progress!

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

Killzone shadowfall video.

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

What do you guys think about the rumored price of $429 and $529 tier pricing?

Danimal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Danimal »

It's good to see I was not alone in my confusion and disdain for last night event. All over the web today writers who don't work for sites that require them to think the PS4 is cool are having the same thoughts.

I think no article sums it up better than this one though.

http://gameological.com/2013/02/more-mo ... u-like-it/

For those too lazy to read it this is my favorite line in the piece.
The reason that so many games suck is not because the technology is too modest. The reason that so many games suck is because so many games suck. Making art is hard. No microchip changes that.
Follow Me on:

backbreaker
Panda Cub
Panda Cub

Post by backbreaker »

Feanor wrote:I don't see what's wrong with waiting till E3 to show the actual PS4 box, and we were never going to get the price today. That's for E3, or even later if they copy what MS did with the Kinect.

I was disappointed there was no Uncharted 4 footage, but I guess it just wasn't ready.
If the rumors are true that MS were planning to put 8 GB of the much slower GDDR3 RAM in the next Xbox, then they're going to be far from happy tonight.
No such memory GDDR3, MSFT are according to VGLeaks are using DDR3.

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

All this memory speed talk is funny...to me, it's the least important part of a smooth running PC. A nice processor and video card are much more important, so the difference between the two is kinda pointless. It's all a big cock waving contest to say they have the best specs. If both have 8gb, that'll be sufficient and comparable. Now if one is running 8gb gddr5 and one is running 4gb ddr3...then we can care.

Pete1210
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Pete1210 »

Rodster wrote:What do you guys think about the rumored price of $429 and $529 tier pricing?
I will wait till it gets down to $300 if I buy one at all.

I do not like that there is no backwards compatibility, no ability to play the games I bought on PSN and no compatibility with PS3 controllers. Give Nintendo credit. At least the WiiU plays all Wii games and works with the Wiimotes.

I read that PS1, 2 and 3 games will be playable on PS4 via streaming. I wonder how much they'll charge for that?
XBL/PSN: Pete1210

Macca00
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Macca00 »

Don't care much either way about the game but I found the developer's intro (unintentionally) hilarious. He deserves an award for delivering that with a straight face.

I love open world games and while watching this trailer I somehow found myself opening my wallet and throwing money at the screen. :)

Uncharted and Little Big Planet aside, I feel like I got burned on the PS3. I recently turned it on to check out Gran Turismo 5 and it was the first time I'd used the thing in almost a year*. The PS4 certainly looks neat but Microsoft will really have to drop the ball with the Durango/whatever for me to go with Sony's machine. Also, I'm with Brando - I love the 360 controller and I don't know why Sony won't go with off-set analog sticks.

* For the record, it took 10 minutes to download and install the firmware updates. Then more than an hour to download all the updates for GT5, I played it for 5 minutes, reminded myself how gorgeous it looks....and also how soul-less it feels. Turned it off.