Racing Sim Thread, Part II

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

DChaps
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by DChaps »

Team Players has just released the first installment of the 1955 F1 mod for rFactor.

http://www.rfactorcentral.com/detail.cfm?ID=1955%20F1

This is the same team that produced the Porsche Fabcar Challenge mod.
Since so many of you have been waiting patiently for the release of this mod we decided to do something a bit different. We will be releasing each car as an add-on to the mod as we complete them. Since we have worked for over 2 years on the Mercedes W196 we thought it would be nice to let you enjoy what we have done so far. We will continue working on the other cars and when they are complete we will make the updates so you can build the mod as we progress with each car.......

We have included a lot of accurate features to the Mercedes like the actual drivers faces, accurate paint jobs depicting specific paint jobs from different tracks and correct car numbers. Driver and car info as well as accurate tire graphics.

We have also created some new features in rFactor, we have created a new leaning driver and a actual moving shifter to show you what gear you are in. If you can refrain from using the hud display, virtual mirrors or outside views your driving experience will be as close to what you would get in 1955.

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

Thanks for the tip, Don! :)

Take care,
PK
"You know why I love boxers? I love them because they face fear. And they face it alone." - Nick Charles

"First on the throttle, last on the brakes." - @MotoGP Twitter signature

XBL Gamertag: pk4425

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

8O Thanks Don, wow rFactor is great. How did those cars handle back then? Were they pigs on the road? The only time I tried driving cars like that was in a 1999 Dreamcast game and I forget the name. It had Grand Prix cars as well as 50's cars. It wasn't a licensed game.

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

Rodster:

In a nutshell: Tons of power, very little mechanical grip, little to no aero grip. Sheer beasts, although the 1930s Auto Unions were even more evil to drive. :)

Take care,
PK
"You know why I love boxers? I love them because they face fear. And they face it alone." - Nick Charles

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

I think I remember the game now. Monaco Grand Prix Racing for the Dreamcast. Boy were those 50's Grand Prix cars a tough nut on the track. I have the utmost respect for anyone who drove those death traps during a race.

TCrouch
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by TCrouch »

Got the full version of Race 07 and had no framerate issues or anything like that. I set the resolution to 1680x1050, the visual settings to "Maximum" and don't have a problem at all, for what it's worth. Kind of saw some of the older posts just now, sorry. Loading times weren't even that long, either. Maybe 30 seconds or 45 to get to a track.

DChaps
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by DChaps »

TCrouch wrote:Got the full version of Race 07 and had no framerate issues or anything like that. I set the resolution to 1680x1050, the visual settings to "Maximum" and don't have a problem at all, for what it's worth. Kind of saw some of the older posts just now, sorry. Loading times weren't even that long, either. Maybe 30 seconds or 45 to get to a track.
Where did you find it? It chaps my hide that since they are using Steam that it would not actually be released on Steam first. The digital Steam release us not until 10/15/2007 a good three weeks after the game has been available in DVD format in other parts of the world. I actually enjoyed the demo and am looking forward to the full version.

Terry, did you buy the DVD version for $19.99? That is what the US release on DVD is supposed to be, yet the Steam version is $39.99 which makes no sense at all unless it has features that the DVD version does not. There seems to be some confusion in the RSC forums regarding the whole thing.

TCrouch
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by TCrouch »

I got it straight from the manufacturer (OS Review). No idea on price, sorry. It is the DVD, though...and it had to be activated through Steam. I actually kind of like Steam, so it wasn't a big deal for me.

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

DChaps wrote:
TCrouch wrote:Got the full version of Race 07 and had no framerate issues or anything like that. I set the resolution to 1680x1050, the visual settings to "Maximum" and don't have a problem at all, for what it's worth. Kind of saw some of the older posts just now, sorry. Loading times weren't even that long, either. Maybe 30 seconds or 45 to get to a track.
Where did you find it? It chaps my hide that since they are using Steam that it would not actually be released on Steam first. The digital Steam release us not until 10/15/2007 a good three weeks after the game has been available in DVD format in other parts of the world. I actually enjoyed the demo and am looking forward to the full version.

Terry, did you buy the DVD version for $19.99? That is what the US release on DVD is supposed to be, yet the Steam version is $39.99 which makes no sense at all unless it has features that the DVD version does not. There seems to be some confusion in the RSC forums regarding the whole thing.
You can buy the game from EB Games for $19.99

http://www.ebgames.com/product.asp?product%5Fid=647177

Just to clarify the game comes with two modes online and offline. You can play offline without having to go thru Steam. If you want to play online that's when you have to setup a Steam account.

I have seen a little framerate stutter ever so slight at 1280x1024 with MAX visual settings and when i'm last car on the grid. It smooths out afterwards. When I dial down the games shadowing that's when it gets silky smooth. It's a nice game although I tend to favor GTR2 because the AI and damage model damage seems a little better.

DChaps
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by DChaps »

Thanks for the info Terry. I don't mind Steam either. I purchased HL2, Day of Defeat, Race 06, Bioshock, and Orange Box using it. I just don't get it that the release on Steam of Race07 is actually weeks after it has been distributed to stores around the world on DVD. Seems like defeating the purpose of having a digital media distribution channel. I am sure this has everything to do with the legal contracts Simbin must have with all the different distributors they are using.

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

Not all of us own the home version of the Cray supercomputer, though. :)

Take care,
PK

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

Gasoline Alley 1.0, the 1950s and early 1960s Indy roadster mod for rFactor, is OUT! :) :) :)

http://www.rfactorcentral.com/detail.cf ... ne%20Alley

Can't wait to run this one on the IMS oval!

Take care,
PK

GB_Simo
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by GB_Simo »

Downloaded the first instalment of the 1955 F1 mod for rFactor last night. A bit slower than I'd expected, but fun to drive, especially if you like the opposite lock, hanging wallpaper with the windows open style of driving that one might reasonably adopt if trying to fight off an octopus.

I only tried them at Spa ('88, not '67) and the Nordschleife, so I don't really know how they go on the shorter tracks we tend to run. I just know I enjoy them, and that I'll be keeping my eye out for the future car add-ons.
XBox Live and PSN Gamertag: theycallhimsim

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

The creators of the Livet Glen fictional track for rFactor just released a wet version of the track, with expanded circuit options. This is the first wet track ever offered in rFactor, I think.

I'm interested!

http://www.rfactorcentral.com/detail.cf ... vet%20Glen

Take care,
PK

Gurantsu
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Gurantsu »

Wow, the Gasoline Alley mod is a hoot. Taking Lloyd Ruby's car around Indy with a full field was sweet. Makes you wonder how the guys who drove these cars for real fit their balls in the car, because they had to have been huge!

Hey PK, any of these cars in the museum?
2319!

Gamertag: "Gurantsu"

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

Grant:

I haven't tried the mod yet, so I'm not sure what cars are in it. I downloaded and installed it, though. I'll let you know.

Quick question: Did you use the revised 1960s Indy oval AI that's available, too? I downloaded that from the Gasoline Alley 1.0 page on rFactorCentral, too.

Really eager to give it a go.

Take care,
PK

Gurantsu
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Gurantsu »

No, I used the one we raced on the other night. But I'm going to snag the 60's one also.

The 1955 F1 cars are fun too by the way. Just gave them a shot. (Followed by the 79 mod, still my favorite, and needs to be worked into a poker night.)
2319!

pigpen81
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pigpen81 »

Holy cow they look sweet. I need to try these Wednesday evening in our poker night :lol:

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

No doubt, boys. I don't want to work in more than one new mod into the mix in one week, but I'll take your word on a consensus pick for one of these two new mods or F1 79 to work into the rotation Wednesday.

Doubt I'll race tonight. Still have the closing laps of the Chinese GP to watch, followed by the Oilers-Wings and Bills-Cowf*cks. Thank God for the DVR! :)

Take care,
PK

Gurantsu
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Gurantsu »

I downloaded the 1960's IMS, but I'm not sure what it changes. Graphically it looks the same as the normal version.
2319!

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

Gurantsu wrote:I downloaded the 1960's IMS, but I'm not sure what it changes. Graphically it looks the same as the normal version.
Grant:

Here's the skinny from the post at The Pits forum that announces the Gasoline Alley mod:

>>>I have modified a few files (including the AIW) of RacerAlex v1.0 Indy track to make it better suited to the roadsters. After installing RacerAlex track please copy those files in the Indianapolis/indianapolis_1960s folder.<<<

Sounds like AI tweaks more than anything to me, which is cool! :)

Take care,
PK

Gurantsu
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Gurantsu »

OK, if we do the 1960 Indycars then we need to run them at TPSCC Dover track.

http://www.rfactorcentral.com/detail.cf ... 20Delaware

The AI kicked my ass, but holy cow what a blast to drive these cars there. Hurling around the turns with full lock, using the throttle to help turn, with just enough banking to give a little time to save a sliding car... an absolute blast. I can see it being a great combo for online races.

I seem to recall my dad saying he saw the old USAC cars race there back in the day, so driving these cars there is not unheard of (heck the IRL even ran there one year).
2319!

GB_Simo
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by GB_Simo »

pk500 wrote:I'll take your word on a consensus pick for one of these two new mods or F1 79 to work into the rotation Wednesday.
I haven't got the Gasoline Alley mod yet, but I assume any race in the 1955 Mercedes would be sponsored by the North American Batsh*t Insane Masochists Society? Off the road we'd go, I tells ya.

I did give the 1955 car another quick run last night, and it's continuing to demand some serious respect. It's not just in the corners either - down the straights it feels like I'm having to chase after the front end. Fun, mind, but I'm not sure I'd fancy our chances of staying on the road for two corners at a time.
XBox Live and PSN Gamertag: theycallhimsim

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

A few thoughts on the two new historic mods released last weekend:

1955 F1: Sublime. No other way to describe this mod. No wonder it leapt into the rFactor Central Hall of Fame after just two days.

These cars are really, really fun to drive if you use a light touch. I expected something close to Grand Prix Legends, but they're not nearly that skittish. Still, you can't lean hard on them. Easy in, fast off, early braking, minimal movements to the wheel. While precision is rewarded, you still can do glorious powerslides through some faster corners.

I'm not ready to give these a go in a Poker Night yet, as you really need some seat time to get the feel for these babies. But they are wonderful cars to drive, and the sound is PHENOMENAL! :)

Gasoline Alley: A bit disappointed in this one, to be honest. The cars look great but don't sound that great. Plus the stock setup SUCKS.

I ran these at the 1960 Indy oval, and they were tight beyond belief. I know you can't go flat in these things like with a Champ Car. I know you need to get off the throttle in all four corners and even use some brake. But these cars just don't want to turn that well.

I'm sure a lot of it is operator error. But it's frustrating to see the AI track around the corners with ease, at a much greater pace than me, while I struggle to steer what feels like a dump truck. Some drivers slid through corners in these roadsters at Indy, but I'm having a hell of a time to get the rear wheels sliding and overcome understeer.

The late 50s and early 60s were a wonderful era at Indy, so I'm not giving up on this mod. But it's a bit disappointing, especially compared to the BRILLIANT 1955 F1.

Take care,
PK

DChaps
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by DChaps »

I was disappointed with the sounds in Gasoline Alley too, but my guess is that there will be updates coming. Gilles Benoit (creator) is a perfectionist and has great respect for recreating historical racing series. Here is what Gilles had to say about the sounds.
Bonjour, I have to react to that "Nothing was done for sounds beyond using a default from the game sound" Husky42, there was a lot of hours put into the sfx file and compare it to a "std" rFactor car. Amplitude, relative amplitude, frequency shift and range were all modified. I have recorded samples of a midget (small Offy) and I think the 1962 Indy to compare the mod sound to the real thing. Want I wanted to achieve is the "Offy boom" when you get off the throttle at the end of the straights. The best way to do that is to stay at the end of the pits and listen (from an outside view) for the roadsters coming down the straights. The best sound I could do was to move the std V8 sound files far away from their natural frequency but that introduces the presence of clearly synthetic sounds. So I had to take a step back to a little less "4 cylinder growl". If someone wants to do/modify the sounds don't hesitate to write me at The Pits or at g_bump_benoit@yahoo.ca. And yes the mod has to be played without any driving aid (even the clutch) :-) Many thanks to all - I appreciate all the feedback ! Cheers ! Gilles