OT:Smart Phones

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Re: OT:Smart Phones

Post by 10spro »

FifaInspected wrote:Fellas.

I'm thinking about moving from iphone to Android and have a question. My wife did this last year and has been unable to send our kids text messages (they have ipods) and cannot send images via text either. Is this a common problem when moving out of the Apple ecosystem? Is there a way to avoid this? Any other tips in regards to moving from Apple to Android? I'd like to continue to use my Straight Talk sim that I have in my iPhone now.. assuming that's possible.

Many thanks.
There's an app from the Play Store that resembles messages called 'Messages +6' or something close to it. It's not free but it eased my transition and pretty much acts as messages in Apple.

Funny enough I just went back to Apple 2 days ago as my HTC M8 got a very good return $$$ for me and got the iPhone 6. I will miss the customization from Android for sure but will give it another run with the iPhone.

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

FifaInspected wrote:Fellas.

I'm thinking about moving from iphone to Android and have a question. My wife did this last year and has been unable to send our kids text messages (they have ipods) and cannot send images via text either. Is this a common problem when moving out of the Apple ecosystem? Is there a way to avoid this? Any other tips in regards to moving from Apple to Android? I'd like to continue to use my Straight Talk sim that I have in my iPhone now.. assuming that's possible.

Many thanks.
It happens all the time. There are a million threads out there on it...most of the resolution comes from calling apple support and having them turn off iMessage on your account/email. Apple is the devil.

FifaInspected
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by FifaInspected »

Guys.

As my search for a new device moves forward i'm looking for suggestions on a mid price, unlocked phone that I could drop my straight talk sim card into.

I don't need the best out there as I don't want to spend upwards of $600-$700+ on a device. Ideally I would like a phone that has good voice command operation as I spend so much of my time on the road. I'm still using an iphone 4 on IOS 6 so it shouldn't be too hard to find a decent performance upgrade from that ;)

Any suggestions?
PSN - Fifa-Inspected
XBOX - Fifa Inspected

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

FifaInspected wrote:Guys.

As my search for a new device moves forward i'm looking for suggestions on a mid price, unlocked phone that I could drop my straight talk sim card into.

I don't need the best out there as I don't want to spend upwards of $600-$700+ on a device. Ideally I would like a phone that has good voice command operation as I spend so much of my time on the road. I'm still using an iphone 4 on IOS 6 so it shouldn't be too hard to find a decent performance upgrade from that ;)

Any suggestions?
I'm currently using a Nexus 4 on Straight Talk. Just about any phone iOS/Android currently offered will work on their network. The Nexus 5 can be had for around $350 and will work on their network.

FifaInspected
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by FifaInspected »

Thanks for the reply. I had actually thought about that.

Does anyone have any feedback on the Moto X? Off contract around $400 depending on how I build it.
PSN - Fifa-Inspected
XBOX - Fifa Inspected

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

OnePlus One or the Sony Z3 Compact (if you want a smaller phone). Those are by FAR the two best under $400. The new Moto X is good, however, the other two are better.

OnePlus doesn't need an invite anymore, starts at $299 for the 16gb white and goes up to $350 for 64gb black (no brainer really).

Z3 Compact, make sure you get model 5803, is just under $400 via Amazon or eBay and is small and waterproof. It's perfect for the gym or other risky activies. It's my backup phone now and it's probably what I would suggest for you if you want it to stay around the same size as your iPhone. The OnePlus is quite a bit bigger. The Lollipop update is probably one of the best iterations of the OS out there...better than the new HTC and Sony versions. It's fantastic.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00NBO ... UTF8&psc=1

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

Interesting to note...tomorrow the Moto X is going to be discounted significantly. It's a good phone too, for sure, so if it's the form factor you prefer, then by all means. The OPO and Z3C both have better cameras and better batteries...so it just depends what's important to you.

http://www.androidcentral.com/motorola- ... -225-may-5

FifaInspected
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by FifaInspected »

DB - thanks for the info. I had no idea the One Plus was available in the price range. Is that the best phone for the money? Is it faster that the Sony and Moto X? I'm assuming voice controls are built into the OS correct?
PSN - Fifa-Inspected
XBOX - Fifa Inspected

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

FifaInspected wrote:DB - thanks for the info. I had no idea the One Plus was available in the price range. Is that the best phone for the money? Is it faster that the Sony and Moto X? I'm assuming voice controls are built into the OS correct?
That's always how much the OnePlus One costs...sometimes you just had to jump through a few hoops to get one (like buying an invite on ebay or something for like ten bucks).

Faster is all subjective, and totally dependent on what you're doing. All three phones have essentially the same specs, just different form factors. Voice controls are more robust in the Moto X, so if that is of utmost importance, then that's the way to go. It's the only one where you can say "okay Moto (or whatever you want to call it)" and then make it do something all from a "sleeping" phone. The other android phones require the screen to be on at least. So again, tomorrow is the day to buy the X if the voice controls are most important. That said, the camera and the battery life of the X aren't up to the other ones standards (mainly because of the "always on" point of the phone)...so it's give and take. The X will last through the day no problem...the others will make it through almost two days. That's the difference.

FifaInspected
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by FifaInspected »

Thanks again DB.

I'm going to take a look at the Moto X sale in a few hours and check the details. As for the One Plus.. There seems to be some chatter about touch screen issues. Do you have any insight into this?
PSN - Fifa-Inspected
XBOX - Fifa Inspected

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

FifaInspected wrote:Thanks again DB.

I'm going to take a look at the Moto X sale in a few hours and check the details. As for the One Plus.. There seems to be some chatter about touch screen issues. Do you have any insight into this?
Rectified a LONG time ago. I've had 3 or 4 of them come through my house, never a single touchscreen issue. That was on EARLY software when it came out...by about November of last year, it was solved.

FifaInspected
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by FifaInspected »

Thanks again!
PSN - Fifa-Inspected
XBOX - Fifa Inspected

jLp vAkEr0
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by jLp vAkEr0 »

Still loving the Oneplus.

The battery life was just ridiculously good on firmware 44s (Kit Kat), but it isn't AS good for me on Lollipop (CM12s). Still gets me by a full day of heavy use without a hitch.

Haven't tried OxygenOS though.

DB, which of the 2 Lollipop variants do you prefer on the OPO?

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

jLp vAkEr0 wrote:Still loving the Oneplus.

The battery life was just ridiculously good on firmware 44s (Kit Kat), but it isn't AS good for me on Lollipop (CM12s). Still gets me by a full day of heavy use without a hitch.

Haven't tried OxygenOS though.

DB, which of the 2 Lollipop variants do you prefer on the OPO?
Oxygen...not as many features, but keeps the same battery life as 4.4, so that's why I went with it.

FifaInspected
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by FifaInspected »

Just bought the MOTO X. 32 gig Pure Edition with case for $369.

Thanks again for all the feedback!
PSN - Fifa-Inspected
XBOX - Fifa Inspected

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

FifaInspected wrote:Just bought the MOTO X. 32 gig Pure Edition with case for $369.

That'll do you just fine. Especially if you like/need the robust voice controls, as I said before. You'll be happy w/ it for sure. That price is fantastic.

I had a 64gb, black leather, pure edition that was literally stolen off of the top of my car in my driveway when I was working on it and had gone inside to get something to drink. It was a sad day...and an expensive one as in that configuration when it came out, it was over $600. Couldn't bring myself to buy another one. It just hurt too bad. LOL.

jLp vAkEr0
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by jLp vAkEr0 »

FifaInspected wrote:Just bought the MOTO X. 32 gig Pure Edition with case for $369.

That's a great deal and IMO better deal at that price than the OPO, considering Motorola's track record with Android updates, customer support etc etc.

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

jLp vAkEr0 wrote:

That's a great deal and IMO better deal at that price than the OPO, considering Motorola's track record with Android updates, customer support etc etc.
Whoa, slow down. You're not going to find a better deal than the OPO @ 350 for 64gb and instant updates as soon as the source code is out. Sure, customer support may be superior w/ Motorola, but the OPO is a way better deal overall. They don't have the voice control though so that's the downside. The X is still ridiculously good so can't fault anyone for getting one. Moto makes the best radios, so the reception is the best of any other manufacturer...I do know that much.

jLp vAkEr0
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by jLp vAkEr0 »

I still think for a normal user, at THAT price, the Moto would be a better deal.

I've dealt with OPO cs and it's a nightmare. Apparently they've been getting better, but still.

And again, quick OTAs updates.

But hey, I do love my OPO.

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

Not much exposure in NA yet on Xiaomi, but my Biz partner in Asia was advising me that these guys are legit and taking a big share of the Android market in Asia and growing. Will take a good look next couple of weeks when I head back there.

http://www.zdnet.com/article/xiaomi-mi- ... -in-china/

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

There's talk of them (Xiaomi) making the next Nexus phone, but LG seems to be the frontrunner. Def interested in a lot of the Asian companies, especially Oppo. Their phone and electronics divisions are different, but I just upgraded my headphones at home to the PM-3 and my headphone amp to the HA-2 and they are both ridiculously good. And everyone knows the head guys from Oppo were big investors in OnePlus. So clearly they are churning out some damn good products in China right now.

FifaInspected
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by FifaInspected »

I've had my Moto X since Friday. My conversion to Android has been smooth as silk. I made sure to unregister my number with Apple before I fired up my new straight talk sim card. Other than getting familiar with a new OS I really like what I see with the Android OS. Coming from an Iphone 4 any new phone would be faster but i'm really impressed with the speed of this device. As has been well documented the battery isn't going to win any awards. I'm a heavy user and typically need to find a charge late in the afternoon. The size of the device has taken some getting used to and that may be my biggest adjustment. I could easily use my Iphone 4 with one hand.. no so much with the Moto X. The voice controls are fantastic though and makes getting things done while on the road a lot easier. When home I use the Motorola Connect Chrome extension to text from my desktop which has been a suitable replacement for Messages on my iMac.
PSN - Fifa-Inspected
XBOX - Fifa Inspected

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

FifaInspected wrote:The size of the device has taken some getting used to and that may be my biggest adjustment. I could easily use my Iphone 4 with one hand.. no so much with the Moto X.
That was the same for me going to the Nexus 4 phone and I think your phone is slightly bigger than my N4. Unless you have LeBron James hands I couldn't get used to a 6Plus or 6 Edge.

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

FifaInspected wrote:As has been well documented the battery isn't going to win any awards. I'm a heavy user and typically need to find a charge late in the afternoon.
Invest in a a few Quick Charge 2.0 chargers. You'll top that battery off in around an hour. Quick Charge technology is soooo good. Thankfully both the S6 and the upcoming G4 use it. It's starting to become commonplace amongst Android phones so you might as well grab a few of them. From around 5% you can get up to 50% in around 20 minutes. So it really is awesome.

Here's a highly rated one on Amazon, but they all work with each other (i.e. Moto Turbo Charger works with my S6 and the Samsung Adaptive Fast Charger works with the Moto X(2014) and so on). Yes, they all have different names, but as long as you make sure it's Quick Charge 2.0, you'll be good to go.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00WSLRCWI?psc=1

jLp vAkEr0
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by jLp vAkEr0 »

So LG seems to have made an even better phone than the S6:

Bigger (removable) battery
Kick ass camera
SD Card slot

Props.