Interesting ESPN College Hoops Preview

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

Diablo25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Interesting ESPN College Hoops Preview

Post by Diablo25 »

http://xbox.ign.com/articles/558/558268 ... ?fromint=1
IGN listed the top 5 best things about the game...which they are saying is the best of the year.
XBLive Gamertag - Diablo25
PSN Name - EPDiablo25

Danimal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Danimal »

This is why I hate IGN
From everything we've seen and experienced (assuming Visual Concepts irons out a few bugs here and there) College Hoops 2K5 may just raise the bar on bball games of the future, both pro and amateur.
Are the f-ing kidding. Have they played a VC game before? Polish is not the seeling point of a VC released product.

One of the items that needs to be "ironed out" according to what I have read is a drastic lack of fouls. Now I haven't played the pro game, but isn't that an issue in that one as well? Sounds like an engine issue if it is in both games.

This is my most anticipated title and I nit pick the crap out of college hoop games, I just have a feeling that I will be bitching up a storm about fouls and missed lay ups again. <sigh>
Follow Me on:
YouTube - www.youtube.com/maxpixelation/
Twitch - twitch.tv/maximumpixelation
Twitter - twitter.com/maxpixelation

icvu42
Starting 5
Starting 5

Post by icvu42 »

Yes it would be nice to know what those bugs are. I really enjoyed the game last year and am looking forward to it this year. But that preview didn't mention much at all about gameplay.

Rick

Diablo25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Diablo25 »

Yeah, some of these reviewers overlook what "true sports sim guys" consider game killers...ie. fouls, poor trade AI, etc. I guess we will have to wait and see.
XBLive Gamertag - Diablo25
PSN Name - EPDiablo25

jLp vAkEr0
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by jLp vAkEr0 »

I hope the Ncaa bball games come through and deliver. Can't believe I'm saying this, but I just can't get myself to play either ESPN 2k5 or NBA Live for long periods of time.

tsunami
Utility Infielder
Utility Infielder

Post by tsunami »

I got to see some of the new college basketball game at the Digital Life Expo here in NYC this past weekend, and I didn't think it looked much different than NBA 2K5. Just the NBA game with a college overlay.

I didn't actually get to play since the kiosks were packed...only got to observe. I'm not sure what setting it was on but there were a ton of turnovers and blocked shots. Guys were swatting each other left and right (with no fouls). I'm sure it could be adjusted with sliders, but it looked odd right off the bat. I don't recall that being too much of a problem in NBA right out of the box. Who knows.

I know...doesn't mean much. Just thought I'd mention it.

Jackdog
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Jackdog »

Bugs? For me that's all Sega games have been so far this fall. I have a new X-Box and the only game that dosen't lock up is ESPN Baseball.

I really love the games too. I am really sick and tired of the freeze bugs in franchise modes of Sega games. NHL is a blast but I stopped playing it because of the freeze up's. NFL, same thing. I can't get past the playoffs due to freezing. :evil:

All my other games work fine. Sorry had to vent.

ubrakto
Utility Infielder
Utility Infielder

Post by ubrakto »

This is the bit that caught my eye (re: the new free throw shooting system).
The Natural System has no meters whatsoever and requires only that you hold and release the shoot button. As you hold the button, the free throw shooter prepares for the shot. Your release needs to match the natural feel of when the shooter would release that shot. It's an intuitive thing and your margin for error depends on the talents of the shooter.
"Natural" is a term IGN used and goes on to say there are different styles for different types of shooters. Who knows, it could be bunk, but it could also really change the way free throws are handled in basketball games (for the better).

Of course, if we can't get to the line it won't make much of a difference. :wink:
---Todd

sportdan30
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by sportdan30 »

javi wrote:I hope the Ncaa bball games come through and deliver. Can't believe I'm saying this, but I just can't get myself to play either ESPN 2k5 or NBA Live for long periods of time.
Agreed.