Halo 2 available on Internet

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Halo 2 available on Internet

Post by pk500 »

If you're a big-time pirate, a French-dialogue copy of Halo 2 was leaked this week and is available now on the Internet. In fact, I saw a link to the torrent on the home page of suprnova.org this morning.

Warning: Gamespot.com is reporting that anyone who is caught downloading this is subject to a $100,000 fine.

And no, no, no: I didn't download it and am not downloading it. I don't download software. I use P2P for audio delights and a few episodes of TV shows, only.

Plus I pre-ordered a legit copy of Halo 2 ...

Take care,
PK
Last edited by pk500 on Thu Oct 14, 2004 9:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
"You know why I love boxers? I love them because they face fear. And they face it alone." - Nick Charles

"First on the throttle, last on the brakes." - @MotoGP Twitter signature

XBL Gamertag: pk4425

Diablo25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Diablo25 »

I also refuse to DL software. IMO, you are gutless if you DL it. With that being said, I can't wait for my legit copy of Halo 2 to arrive Nov 9th. I have feeling that the online battles are gonna be epic. Looks like great fun. I haven't played CTF since the TFC mod of Half Life.
XBLive Gamertag - Diablo25
PSN Name - EPDiablo25

Spooky
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Spooky »

That's funny that you bring this up because I just realized that they had X-Box games on the suprnova site. How the heck to you use those anyway? Do you just download them and burn them to a DVD or do you need a modified drive in your X-Box? I am not planning on doing it (seriously), I am really just curious if it is that easy to pirate games.

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

Spooky wrote:That's funny that you bring this up because I just realized that they had X-Box games on the suprnova site. How the heck to you use those anyway? Do you just download them and burn them to a DVD or do you need a modified drive in your X-Box? I am not planning on doing it (seriously), I am really just curious if it is that easy to pirate games.
No clue. I've never done it. I'm almost sure you need a modded console, though.

Parker downloads and burns backups of games of which he supposedly owns the retail version, which by the way makes zero sense to me. Maybe he can shed some light on it.

Out,
PK
"You know why I love boxers? I love them because they face fear. And they face it alone." - Nick Charles

Airdog
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Airdog »

Spooky wrote:That's funny that you bring this up because I just realized that they had X-Box games on the suprnova site. How the heck to you use those anyway? Do you just download them and burn them to a DVD or do you need a modified drive in your X-Box? I am not planning on doing it (seriously), I am really just curious if it is that easy to pirate games.
You can burn them to a DVD or network your XBox to your computer and copy them to the hard drive. Most people with mods also buy a larger hard drive so they can fit more games on it.

And obviously I don't have a mod, or I'd post more often on games (the only games I've gotten in the last year are NFL and NHL 2K5). Halo 2 will probably be my next purchase.

tsunami
Utility Infielder
Utility Infielder

Post by tsunami »

-Double post-
Last edited by tsunami on Thu Oct 14, 2004 11:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

tsunami
Utility Infielder
Utility Infielder

Post by tsunami »

pk500 wrote:
No clue. I've never done it. I'm almost sure you need a modded console, though.

Parker downloads and burns backups of games of which he supposedly owns the retail version, which by the way makes zero sense to me. Maybe he can shed some light on it.

Out,
PK
Yes, you do need a modded console. And there is no way that Parker owns all of the retail versions of the games he talks about, especially since he mentions alot of European releases and Japanese games(most which aren't even released to retail yet). I am aware of the "scene" and coincidently, he talks about getting games that have just been released on the Internet.

But, you'll probably have to wait until his self imposed "business trip" is over to get clarification from him.

Or, until the blod stop pouring from his eyeballs so that he can see the screen and type something.

sportdan30
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by sportdan30 »

Does anyone really think for those who didn't pre-order, that it'll be difficult to find on release day? This is the most anticipated XBox game ever. One would think there's going to be a massive amount of copies available just about everywhere (Best Buy, Circuit City, GameStop, EB Games, Wal-Mart, etc.).

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

Dan:

Well, Microsoft could pull a "Sony" and create artificial shortages around the release time to build demand, which spawns more press coverage and buzz.

Sony did the same thing with the PS2 at its launch. It had to know this would be the hottest-selling console ever, yet it didn't produce nearly enough to go around for the first couple of months. I still believe to this day that Sony did it on purpose to generate buzz about the PS2 and gaming in the mainstream press.

It worked. Gaming started to go mainstream with the PS2.

A pre-order is $5. So if you're concerned about shortages, just drop an Abe Lincoln on the counter at your local EB the next time you cruise by. That's what I did -- figured it couldn't hurt.

Take care,
PK

bdoughty
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by bdoughty »

Waiting for our friendly neighborhood pirate Parker to give us those impressions.

Parker
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Parker »

"Yes, you do need a modded console. And there is no way that Parker owns all of the retail versions of the games he talks about, especially since he mentions alot of European releases and Japanese games(most which aren't even released to retail yet). I am aware of the "scene" and coincidently, he talks about getting games that have just been released on the Internet.

But, you'll probably have to wait until his self imposed "business trip" is over to get clarification from him.

Or, until the blod stop pouring from his eyeballs so that he can see the screen and type something."

None of the betas or retail games from Europe and Japan I talk about I have downloaded. Either I have imported them myself or I have taken advantage of the media connections I have.

As far as Halo 2, I could have an English beta they will be sending out to mags in about 2 weeks. I don't know anyone in France and since I don't download full games off the net, I can't help you yet. But I'm not much of an FPS fan anyway.

"Warning: Gamespot.com is reporting that anyone who is caught downloading this is subject to a $100,000 fine."

Gamespot is clueless as usual. Microsoft could file a civil suit against downloaders for whatever fine they want, but as far as copyright laws, that depends on what country the person is from largely. And usually even in these cases, there is a dramatic difference in the fines and/or jail sentences, on a case-by-case basis.
Last edited by Parker on Thu Oct 14, 2004 3:45 pm, edited 2 times in total.

GROGtheNailer
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by GROGtheNailer »

Like I mentioned in a post a while back, I d/load pc games, try them. If they work fine on my cpu and I like the game then I will buy it. Xbox games I dont bother, I can always rent to try plus the consoles are all the same configuration so I need not worry about that.

bdoughty
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by bdoughty »

Puts on magic Parker secret decoder ring...

Replace "media connections" with "P2P and usenet buddies"

Replace "I don't download full games off the net" with "I can get away with saying this load of BS because downloads do no come with instructions, therefore it is not a full game"

Replace "But I'm not much of an FPS fan anyway" with "damnit the link to the Halo 2 demos were already dead"

:wink:

fsquid
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by fsquid »

Like I mentioned in a post a while back, I d/load pc games, try them.
I do the same.

Parker
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Parker »

bdoughty wrote:Puts on magic Parker secret decoder ring...

Replace "media connections" with "P2P and usenet buddies"

Replace "I don't download full games off the net" with "I can get away with saying this load of BS because downloads do no come with instructions, therefore it is not a full game"

Replace "But I'm not much of an FPS fan anyway" with "damnit the link to the Halo 2 demos were already dead"

:wink:
And replace that with "I don't give a rat's ass what you believe".

If I wanted to, I could download the french beta in a few hours. There are plenty of working links.

wco81
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by wco81 »

The advantages of downloading, aside from not paying for them, is that you can run them from the hard drive.

Even the PS2 had a program which would let you rip games to a hard drive, from which they would load faster. No disc errors.

But these games running off the hard drive won't work for online games because they probably check for a disc ID of some kind.

As for possible shortages, there is no excuse for software shortages. None whatsoever. It costs pennies to press extra discs. By contrast, hardware production and inventory management is a great deal more difficult.

That is why Microsoft's profit margins are way bigger than Intel's profit margins, even though they each have huge market shares.

NovaStar
Mario Mendoza

Post by NovaStar »

How do you guys thing Halo 2 will play in single player mode? It seems that the online mode is what everyone is excited about, well, I don't have xbox live. I pre-ordered the game but if the single player version is not going to be as good as the online version should I bother?

Brando70
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Brando70 »

NovaStar wrote:How do you guys thing Halo 2 will play in single player mode? It seems that the online mode is what everyone is excited about, well, I don't have xbox live. I pre-ordered the game but if the single player version is not going to be as good as the online version should I bother?
I think Halo was the second-best game released on the XBox (after KOTOR). I am willing to give them the benefit of the doubt that the sequel will rock.

The last part of 2004 will be an FPS orgy. Call of Duty expansion pack (which is fantastic), Half-Life 2, Halo 2, and Metroid Prime 2. So much FPS action I'm going to keep a spoon handy just in case I go into a seizure.

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

NovaStar wrote:How do you guys thing Halo 2 will play in single player mode? It seems that the online mode is what everyone is excited about, well, I don't have xbox live. I pre-ordered the game but if the single player version is not going to be as good as the online version should I bother?
Nova:

Halo was single player only, and it was fantastic. So unless Bungie pulls a Ubi Soft and ignores single player to blow its load on online play like Ubi Soft did with Splinter Cell Pandora Tomorrow, I think single player will kick ass in Halo 2.

Take care,
PK

NovaStar
Mario Mendoza

Post by NovaStar »

What's up PK, it has been a minute. Yeah, I will have to fly blind on this one since the game is going to sell like hotcakes upon release. So, if the single player mode has suffered, I guess I will return it, but I am definitely going to buy it.

reeche
Starting 5
Starting 5

Post by reeche »

And replace that with "I don't give a rat's ass what you believe".

If I wanted to, I could download the french beta in a few hours. There are plenty of working links.
Certainly true. I view the whole situation as a rental although to some people that isn't "ethical". I've already bought the game myself plus I plan to play it on Xbox Live. I consider this to be like an unofficial demo although I know some people will end up not buying the game. I was as eager to try it as most people were but they'll still get my money.
http://www.whas11.com/sharedcontent/VideoPlayer/videoPlayer.php?vidId=49293&catId=49
---Lend a ***** a pencil--- Context?

Sudz
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Sudz »

well.....how is it?

reeche
Starting 5
Starting 5

Post by reeche »

Sudz wrote:well.....how is it?
Well without spoiling anything for anybody who wants a virgin experience my initial thoughts were that if you liked the first you'll like this one. More of an evolution instead of a revolution which could be viewed as good thing or a bad thing depending on how much you liked the originial. Staying purposefully vague so as not to piss anybody off or get Jared in trouble.

Still very early in and since it's in French obviously, I don't know what the hell is going on. I just have to go look in my objectives constantly.

I'm definitely going to buy it just for Xbox Live alone.
http://www.whas11.com/sharedcontent/VideoPlayer/videoPlayer.php?vidId=49293&catId=49
---Lend a ***** a pencil--- Context?