HB Studios Next-Gen golf game: The Golf Club

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

Danimal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Re: HB Studios Next-Gen golf game: The Golf Club

Post by Danimal »

Any PC member want to play the first round of the Open tonight?
Follow Me on:
YouTube - www.youtube.com/maxpixelation/
Twitch - twitch.tv/maximumpixelation
Twitter - twitter.com/maxpixelation

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

Watching the Open earlier today, I am convinced that the heavy rough is not as hard as it appears on TGC2 nor the breaks are as dramatic in the greens. Either that, or the Pros really made it look easy.

DivotMaker
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by DivotMaker »

Danimal wrote:Any PC member want to play the first round of the Open tonight?
Would love to, but I don't get home til tomorrow.

Maybe catch a round this weekend?

DivotMaker
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by DivotMaker »

10spro wrote:Watching the Open earlier today, I am convinced that the heavy rough is not as hard as it appears on TGC2 nor the breaks are as dramatic in the greens. Either that, or the Pros really made it look easy.
The rough is not as difficult IRL as it is in the game.

Rough penalties could definitely be improved.

vader29
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by vader29 »

Patch out on Xbox One, 4.4 GB
"Two rules man: Stay away from my f***in percocets and do you have any f***in percocets?" ~ Marco Belchier
https://www.ea.com/games/nhl/nhl-20/pro ... rm=xboxone

Danimal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Danimal »

Had a 1 stroke lead in round 1 and then #17 happened and I got below the pin, ended up 2 strokes off the lead at +5. Came back and shot a +3 in the 2ns round for +8. Going to hold off on the next round for a day or so.
Follow Me on:

J_Cauthen
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by J_Cauthen »

Danimal wrote:Any PC member want to play the first round of the Open tonight?
I played round one earlier this afternoon with Naples38's ghost, but I'll be up for playing round 2 if it's convenient. This tournament round at Royal Birkdale today was one of the most enjoyable rounds of cyber golf I've ever played. I didn't tear the course up... in fact I came in with a bogey, double-bogey finish to stumble in with a 73. I developed a swing path induced draw that occasionally got away from me as I played, but I relished the challenge of making corrections and fighting it off.

Naples and I were missing fairways with equal proportions, and we both made some storybook pars. Even though I knew Naples was also going to shoot a 73, it still added some presence to the round. I don't know what HBS did to distinguish this tournament's atmosphere (it's the first "Major" in which I've played in any Society), but there's something really special about it. It's subtle, but it's there.

The cyber version of Royal Birkdale does seem to over-present its undulations, but with the Medium speed setting that Yeltzman has set for the course, it gives you a fighting chance to cope with them. I had two double bogeys in today's round, but the first one was due to my hooking my tee shot into some heavy rough, and then trying to carry a stream with what would have had to have been a perfectly struck 3-hybrid... it wasn't :cry:

I hope everyone else enjoys this first round as much as I did! My XBox One version patch is just about finished downloading and I'm ready to tee it up there and see how I fare... I might ought to play a few practice holes first to make sure nothing's changed about the swing that I need to get accustomed to.

ddtrane
Starting 5
Starting 5

Post by ddtrane »

If anyone comes across a course called Tarantula, stay away, it has shoestring thin fairways and if you hit them it has humps to influece your ball to go into the rough or the bunkers. And the greens have speed bumps and all holes are on side lies, or at least I thought so.

This course truly plays unfair. The only reason I played it because I used a template for my career and was to lazy to choose from the courses availabe. Just like spiders, this thing will bite you.That is all...
gamertag: ddtrane65

Pete
Starting 5
Starting 5

Post by Pete »

I have struggled with this game but have gotten better.

I think to improve even more, I needed to move to the Tour clubs as distance obviously plays a huge factor. Hitting long irons, hybrids and woods into greens on the longer courses just doesn't cut it.

I moved to the Tour clubs but was having trouble with accuracy. I then tried using both thumbs on the stick to swing the club. I have seen a big difference in the consistency with my swing. I still take it back too slow, according to the feedback, but my accuracy of the downswing is much better.

This is with the PS4 controller. Give it a try if you are having problems.

FifaInspected
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by FifaInspected »

2nd round at Birkdale in the books. Violently hooked my tee shot on 1 left, second shot rolled through the fairway back into the rough. That was the sign of things to come. An eagle on 17 the only bright spot of my round.
PSN - Fifa-Inspected
XBOX - Fifa Inspected

J_Cauthen
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by J_Cauthen »

FifaInspected wrote:2nd round at Birkdale in the books. Violently hooked my tee shot on 1 left, second shot rolled through the fairway back into the rough. That was the sign of things to come. An eagle on 17 the only bright spot of my round.
I'll be playing my second round in the PS4 tournament later today. An eagle at 17 is not an easy feat.. congratulations on that! I just had one of the most humiliating rounds of my Golf Club 2 career in the third round of the DSP Society (PC) tournament at Royal Birkdale. A round that included three double bogeys and only two birdies.

I've got a bad case of the hooks, not the draws, right now and when I try to correct it, I wind up with a fade. I missed fairways and greens left and right in this round, and honestly, I felt like a total n00b trying to get a handle on my swing :oops: I tell you what though, it gave me a new respect for the game and will make me appreciate a swing that I can count on once it returns. I had a ball seeing how analogous my swing problems were in this round to what I occasionally experience in reality. But dayum... I hit some stinker shots today that eclipse anything I've done IRL over the last four years. :?
Last edited by J_Cauthen on Fri Jul 21, 2017 2:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

Yeah, but you don't talk about your -6 in R1 on the Xbox, John. I'll borrow PK's words here: Get off my lawn... 8)

Good score!

FifaInspected
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by FifaInspected »

With my weekend availability yet to be determined I just played the 3rd round. With Prince's remasted Purple Rain the soundtrack I shot my best round yet. Guess I'll keep Prince as my caddy :)
PSN - Fifa-Inspected
XBOX - Fifa Inspected

Danimal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Danimal »

Shot a -2 (68) in the 3rd round of the PC Open which was probably my best round ever in this game considering the winds. I didn't want to push my luck and play round 4 yet. I finally found a thumb position that is allowing me to hit more straight shots.
Follow Me on:

Teal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Teal »

Why does birkdale have the wind of St. Andrews?? Geez.
www.trailheadoutfitters.org
trailheadoutfitters.wordpress.com
facebook.com/Intentional.Fatherhood

DivotMaker
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by DivotMaker »

Teal wrote:Why does birkdale have the wind of St. Andrews?? Geez.
It did today at The Open....gusts to 45 mph....

DivotMaker
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by DivotMaker »

Arctic Fury has released his second TGC2 non-ported course....he is a master of his craft....

http://www.hb-studios.com/forum/index.p ... icseen#new

J_Cauthen
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by J_Cauthen »

Danimal wrote:Shot a -2 (68) in the 3rd round of the PC Open which was probably my best round ever in this game considering the winds. I didn't want to push my luck and play round 4 yet. I finally found a thumb position that is allowing me to hit more straight shots.
That's tremendous... in those winds!? You smoked me by a meager 11 strokes, but really, I had to make some scrambling pars to come in under 80 that round. My goal is to shoot a 69 in the final round.

J_Cauthen
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by J_Cauthen »

DivotMaker wrote:Arctic Fury has released his second TGC2 non-ported course....he is a master of his craft....

http://www.hb-studios.com/forum/index.p ... icseen#new
That is appointment cybergolf right there Tim... thanks!

DivotMaker
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by DivotMaker »

Danimal wrote:Shot a -2 (68) in the 3rd round of the PC Open which was probably my best round ever in this game considering the winds. I didn't want to push my luck and play round 4 yet. I finally found a thumb position that is allowing me to hit more straight shots.
Great round Dan. Sounds like your game is coming around...

Sudz
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Sudz »

man...i just fall apart around the greens.

DivotMaker
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by DivotMaker »

Sudz wrote:man...i just fall apart around the greens.
Welcome to Golf....keep working it!

FifaInspected
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by FifaInspected »

Just completed The Open:

Rd1: 78
Rd2: 82
Rd3: 67
Rd4: 71

Once my focus changed to "staying out of trouble" things started to fall into place. I traded distance for fairway as I never trusted the ball wouldn't roll through and into the rough.. and rough was the birthplace of many double bogeys for me.

Nice to see a better turnout on the PS4 society.
PSN - Fifa-Inspected
XBOX - Fifa Inspected

DivotMaker
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by DivotMaker »

FifaInspected wrote:Just completed The Open:

Rd1: 78
Rd2: 82
Rd3: 67
Rd4: 71

Once my focus changed to "staying out of trouble" things started to fall into place. I traded distance for fairway as I never trusted the ball wouldn't roll through and into the rough.. and rough was the birthplace of many double bogeys for me.

Nice to see a better turnout on the PS4 society.
Nice progression and transition to course management!

J_Cauthen
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by J_Cauthen »

I came back with a 67 in the final round in the PC Society tournament, which tied me for the lead in the clubhouse with Mike (Gibbius Maximus) at +13. This major tournament title is just twittering on the vine waiting for someone to come along and pluck it :) I had a blast playing this tournament though; I thought the combination of firm greens with medium speed made Royal Birkdale play as realistically as possible. Even at that, I don't know how many times I wound up facing a par putt that was longer than the birdie putt attempt I missed to set it up.

I'll get caught up with the XBox One and PS4 tournaments as the weekend progresses. I got it to -1 after 36 holes in the PS4 Society tournament, with a 67 that I posted today... I darn near hooked my tee shot on 18 OB, and then recovered to make par with a 28 foot putt... fun times! MUTTS, is Buggy's 2nd round suspended in progress? Just curious because I know I'd seen progress from his first round score at one point, but now he's not showing up on the leaderboard, but I'm only seeing the scores of those who've finished round 2. These leaderboards are still not up to snuff, but they're better than pre-patch.