The Beautiful Game thread, season 2015/16

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Re: The Beautiful Game thread, season 2015/16

Post by pk500 »

fsquid wrote:
pk500 wrote:
wco81 wrote:To the Brits it is, though I'm sure they know deep down that Barca, Bayern and Real would probably dominate the EPL.
Don't be so sure of that. The Premier League is far deeper than La Liga and deeper than the Bundesliga, so let's see how strong those super teams would be after a 38-game slog against tougher competition.
that's what they get for chasing the mighty dollar. Also thinks it hurts the English team in WC and Euros
No doubt. The lack of a break definitely hurts the English team in international play. So does the money flowing through the EPL, which attracts a lot of foreign talent to the league.

A lot of top EPL sides have only a couple of English-born starters. But that problem is up to the FA to solve through better training, coaching, etc. No way the genie of foreign talent flooding to England can be put back into the bottle. Far too much dough.
"You know why I love boxers? I love them because they face fear. And they face it alone." - Nick Charles

"First on the throttle, last on the brakes." - @MotoGP Twitter signature

XBL Gamertag: pk4425

XXXIV
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by XXXIV »

Though I did not like the attack on the open goal at the end, that was a sweet win today for Liverpool.

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

Man I'd hate to be an Everton fan today after seeing how they got shafted twice.

dougb
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dougb »

You might hate even more to be a Liverpool fan today. Good lord they didn't have anybody up front with a scoring touch, and with calamity Jane in net they pretty much have to put as many balls into the net on the opponent as possible. I think things will pick up with Klopp in charge but that'll depend to a great extent on how good they are in bringing in some fresh talent into the team - and getting rid of that idiot in net.

Doug
"Every major sport has come under the influence of organized crime. FIFA actually is organized crime" - Charles Pierce

RobVarak
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by RobVarak »

dougb wrote:You might hate even more to be a Liverpool fan today. Good lord they didn't have anybody up front with a scoring touch, and with calamity Jane in net they pretty much have to put as many balls into the net on the opponent as possible. I think things will pick up with Klopp in charge but that'll depend to a great extent on how good they are in bringing in some fresh talent into the team - and getting rid of that idiot in net.

Doug
It's a rough season. It's one thing to be inept at set-piece defending or toothless in attack. Being both simultaneously is pretty damn infuriating.
XBL Gamertag: RobVarak

"Ok I'm an elitist, but I have a healthy respect for people who don't measure up." --Aaron Sorkin

dougb
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dougb »

RobVarak wrote:
dougb wrote:You might hate even more to be a Liverpool fan today. Good lord they didn't have anybody up front with a scoring touch, and with calamity Jane in net they pretty much have to put as many balls into the net on the opponent as possible. I think things will pick up with Klopp in charge but that'll depend to a great extent on how good they are in bringing in some fresh talent into the team - and getting rid of that idiot in net.

Doug
It's a rough season. It's one thing to be inept at set-piece defending or toothless in attack. Being both simultaneously is pretty damn infuriating.
I really don't understand how a team can be so awful at defending set pieces. It's not exactly a mystery on what you have to do on a corner kick - free kicks can be somewhat more difficult. Still the basics of covering your man are something that is pretty much understood, if not executed, from school age football.

Doug
"Every major sport has come under the influence of organized crime. FIFA actually is organized crime" - Charles Pierce

RobVarak
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by RobVarak »

dougb wrote: I really don't understand how a team can be so awful at defending set pieces. It's not exactly a mystery on what you have to do on a corner kick - free kicks can be somewhat more difficult. Still the basics of covering your man are something that is pretty much understood, if not executed, from school age football.

Doug
Can't we blame Rafa for this anymore? Macca, tell your Dad to cut out the zonal marking! :)

"Ok I'm an elitist, but I have a healthy respect for people who don't measure up." --Aaron Sorkin

dougb
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dougb »

RobVarak wrote:
dougb wrote: I really don't understand how a team can be so awful at defending set pieces. It's not exactly a mystery on what you have to do on a corner kick - free kicks can be somewhat more difficult. Still the basics of covering your man are something that is pretty much understood, if not executed, from school age football.

Doug
Can't we blame Rafa for this anymore? Macca, tell your Dad to cut out the zonal marking! :)
Macca needs to tell his dad that the English game doesn't need fancy Johnny Foreigner zone marking schemes.

Now attacking tactics are a completely different matter :D

Doug

Jimmydeicide
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Jimmydeicide »

Well Macca's Dad was there on Wednesday lol.

XXXIV
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by XXXIV »

So kicking myself for sleeping through Liverpool game this morning.

Highlights are epic! :D

fsquid
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by fsquid »

It was a hell of a game and I only woke for the second half.

Jimmydeicide
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Jimmydeicide »

You missed the battle of the century for sure ... The battle of sh it Defenses.

XXXIV
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by XXXIV »

Jimmydeicide wrote:You missed the battle of the century for sure ... The battle of sh it Defenses.
Looked like great fun...

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

A great pass by Mahrez complemented by Jaime Vardy's beautiful volley got to be one of best goals this year in the BPL. What a game this weekend between Leicester and Man City.

Arsenal is struggling to score.

Jimmydeicide
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Jimmydeicide »

Vardy. Guy is on Fire. Gotta say, COME ON LESTER!!!!!!

:lol: Oh wait thats my buddy from Guatemala i meant Leicester :lol:

XXXIV
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by XXXIV »

I would be remiss if I didnt give a shout out to Liverpool for turning certain victory into a draw.

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

UEFA league Man Utd loses to midget club Midtjylland. A total, lacklustre performance that puts further pressure on Van Gaal.

Would Mourinho be just around the corner?

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

Van Gaal must be a dead man walking. He's making Moyes look like Ferguson.

Christ, even Rodgers would be a better alternative now.
"You know why I love boxers? I love them because they face fear. And they face it alone." - Nick Charles

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

Cops America Centenario draw is out. Look forward to the Argentina-Brazil finals.

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

Historically Messi hasn't had too much success while plaiying in the UK. Today he just broke thru while showing what a liability Mertesacker is for Asene's team. Arsenal had a couple of chances via the air ball but not much to show their fans at home.

GB_Simo
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by GB_Simo »

Macca's Dad in at Newcastle, and he inherits a defence already adept at marking zones. All that's left is to get them to mark zones which might at some point contain a member of the opposing team.
XBox Live and PSN Gamertag: theycallhimsim

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

I wish Rafa the best. But the biggest problem on Tyneside remains F*cking Fat Mike Ashley as owner.

RobVarak
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by RobVarak »

pk500 wrote:I wish Rafa the best. But the biggest problem on Tyneside remains F*cking Fat Mike Ashley as owner.
This is why I'm stunned he took the gig. He can't get along with any owner, much less a buffoon of Ashely's magnitude.

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

RobVarak wrote:
pk500 wrote:I wish Rafa the best. But the biggest problem on Tyneside remains F*cking Fat Mike Ashley as owner.
This is why I'm stunned he took the gig. He can't get along with any owner, much less a buffoon of Ashely's magnitude.
Rafa is desperate to return to the Premier League. No true big club would take him, yet the "massive club" myth surrounding Newcastle is enough to fulfill his ego. Perfect fit.

Newcastle is a "massive club" only because St. James' Park is one of the biggest grounds in England and because the team gets big support in the North East. But it's a small club in terms of Ashley's ambition, which is only to avoid the drop. "Massive clubs" aim for Europe and silverware.

wco81
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by wco81 »

How much do EPL managers get on average?

That's probably reason enough for most people, keep taking those jobs as long as clubs are paying you millions. Worst case, they can you after a season or two. You walk away will millions each time.

There has to be a limit to the number of times a club will hire a manager who's been let go from other clubs. So it seems these managers are just maximizing their revenues window, until they fall out of rotation.