The NFL 2014-2015

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

XXXIV
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Re: The NFL 2014-2015

Post by XXXIV »

Dan you are 100% correct and I apologize for lumping you in with him.

I have not let that go. I probably should stop watching the highlights of it every year. 8)

Plus...

I am still not completely over SB XIV which was 35 years ago.

No to mention the 1974,75,76, and 78 NFC championship games plus the 77 divisional playoff mud bowl.

Aside from discussing that last play call I have let go of last night as it did come with a silver lining.... Uncle pete does not repeat. I dont like the Hawks much either.

Now that the nausea has passed...I will say Brady was great and is great as in an all time great. He was awesome in the 4th qtr.... but that doesnt mean I have to like him or that scumbag coach.

Again...Gratz to Rally you deserve it especially for what you have to put with me and the Bruin stuff.

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

It's such a tough pill to swallow. I didn't sleep well last night at all. Let's recap: Under two minutes to go and with a must TD, Hawks traveled 80 yards in just a minute and 2 seconds. The catch of the year happens with no disrespect to Beckham Jr. It was destiny for SEA, right? Right? They find themselves with 1 yard to go, three plays to get to the enemy's end zone and one time out. They have Beast mode. All this with about 50 seconds to go. It's not a preseason game nor regular season where you want to experiment. No, it's Superbowl!

Then... the dumbest big play-call in Super Bowl history happens. Lets face it folks, 10-15 years from now when this SB makes it to one of the great SB NFL reels, we'll all remember it for the dumbest call in history of a SB, and NOT for the great pick by a rookie CB.

Danimal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Danimal »

10spro wrote:Lets face it folks, 10-15 years from now when this SB makes it to one of the great SB NFL reels, we'll all remember it for the dumbest call in history of a SB, and NOT for the great pick by a rookie CB.
Actually I probably won't even remember it. When it's not my team and it gets past 5 years I can't recall anything.
Follow Me on:
YouTube - www.youtube.com/maxpixelation/
Twitch - twitch.tv/maximumpixelation
Twitter - twitter.com/maxpixelation

Macca00
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Macca00 »

Neutral fan (I actually like both teams) and I thought that was an awesome game to watch. For the life of me still do not understand that call by the Seahawks - makes even less sense after Carroll's explanation - but a great spectacle nonetheless.

If I was a Seahawks fan I would be dead because my head would have exploded last night trying to process what happened at the end of that drive.

Macca00
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Macca00 »

XXXIV wrote:Gratz to Rally you deserve it especially for what you have to put with me and the Bruin stuff.
How can you not love this man? XXXIV you're the best! lol

Danimal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Danimal »

XXXIV wrote:Dan you are 100% correct and I apologize for lumping you in with him.
No worries, you were being baited by someone else and I just got caught in the crossfire. :D

Just remember DSP old school are like brothers, brothers fight but they are still brothers. (Yes I just stole a line from HSM) :D
Follow Me on:
YouTube - www.youtube.com/maxpixelation/
Twitch - twitch.tv/maximumpixelation
Twitter - twitter.com/maxpixelation

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

Sherman had torn ligaments in his elbow, will go thru Tommy John surgery.

RobVarak
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by RobVarak »

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2 ... that-play/

Outstanding step-by-step breakdown of the final play.
XBL Gamertag: RobVarak

"Ok I'm an elitist, but I have a healthy respect for people who don't measure up." --Aaron Sorkin

DivotMaker
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by DivotMaker »

10spro wrote:Then... the dumbest big play-call in Super Bowl history happens. Lets face it folks, 10-15 years from now when this SB makes it to one of the great SB NFL reels, we'll all remember it for the dumbest call in history of a SB, and NOT for the great pick by a rookie CB.
I had ZERO skin in the game and I will remember this boneheaded play call for years if not forever. It was THAT FREAKING STUPID and their reasoning for calling a pass play makes it even harder to fathom where THEIR heads were at......I feel for you 10s.....and hell, my team (Texans) have not even made it to a conference championship game....

Macca00
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Macca00 »

RobVarak wrote:https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2 ... that-play/

Great link. Confirms that I know absolutely nothing about football! lol

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

DivotMaker wrote:
10spro wrote:Then... the dumbest big play-call in Super Bowl history happens. Lets face it folks, 10-15 years from now when this SB makes it to one of the great SB NFL reels, we'll all remember it for the dumbest call in history of a SB, and NOT for the great pick by a rookie CB.
I had ZERO skin in the game and I will remember this boneheaded play call for years if not forever. It was THAT FREAKING STUPID and their reasoning for calling a pass play makes it even harder to fathom where THEIR heads were at......I feel for you 10s.....and hell, my team (Texans) have not even made it to a conference championship game....
The NFC playoffs have been nothing short of drama, has it? Lions get screwed by the Cowboys and friendly refs, then in turn karma bites back at Romo's team, GB's conservatism by McCarthy choked the game away when they were the better team vs SEA and now the infamous call by Carroll. I don't want to take anything away from Brady, because he was great. When Lane got injured he wisely picked on Simon to pieces, he was dead on with the short route passes.

But as I was saying yesterday, it would have been much better for me to swallow the loss if Kearse didn't come up with that catch or SEA was just futile in the last 2 minutes with the football. But that wasn't the case, they just gave a SB away.

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

RobVarak wrote:https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2 ... that-play/

Very interesting dissection. But the penultimate paragraph is total horsesh*t, written by a football acolyte:

"The bottom line in all of this is that this wasn’t some embarrassing debacle, a sad way to end an otherwise thrilling Super Bowl. This was a fantastic play that made logical sense to the offense, and was just defeated by better defensive play and stellar preparation from the New England Patriots."

Was it the smartest pass selection? Possibly. But was it wise to call a pass in that situation? Abso-f*cking-lutely not. Not at that time, this time or any time. Not under Lombardi, Noll, Walsh, Carroll or the Uber-Sideline God of the future.

It was arguably the dumbest play call in a big-stakes situation in NFL history, considering all factors -- available personnel, time on the clock, field position, time outs remaining. No one or no prose ever will convince me otherwise.
"You know why I love boxers? I love them because they face fear. And they face it alone." - Nick Charles

"First on the throttle, last on the brakes." - @MotoGP Twitter signature

XBL Gamertag: pk4425

wco81
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by wco81 »

538 defends Pete Carroll and actually blames Bellichek:

http://fivethirtyeight.com/features/...-pete-carroll/

Brady himself said he was surprised NE didn't call a timeout to preserve time for a tying FG drive. But what were the odds that they were going to get in FG position on dinks and dunks with less than a minute?

vader29
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by vader29 »

"Two rules man: Stay away from my f***in percocets and do you have any f***in percocets?" ~ Marco Belchier
https://www.ea.com/games/nhl/nhl-20/pro ... rm=xboxone

RobVarak
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by RobVarak »

Was it a bad play call? Yes.

I think two things mitigate it a bit though.

100% of modern NFL offenses are reactive. Every single play nowadays is run in response to defensive personnel and alignment. When Bevel sees the DB's cheating run (even if the personnel weren't strict goal line), he thinks pass the same way your foot steps on the accelerator when a light turns green. I'm not saying it should be this way, but it is just the way modern offenses do their job. It's the price modern offenses pay for being able to run insanely complex personnel and play packages within the time constraints that they face.

The second factor is the incredibly unlikely ultimate result. I agree with the author on this one: at least 95/100 times, this is at worst a broken up pass. There were 108 passes from the 1 yard line in the NFL this season and none were INT's. Zero. It's not a high-risk play in itself and the route makes it even lower-risk. Only the Pat's brilliant preparation and the transcendent play of both Browner and Butler made that a fatal play. It was great football.

I would have run the ball. I think he should have run it and obviously, everyone agrees now that they should have. But I think it's inappropriately dismissive to ignore the factors in play at the time the decision was made that led to the choice to pass.

All this talk, not just here, about it being the dumbest call in history. Coaches make bad judgments all the time, just like players. Most fans and analysts aren't ignorant enough to think, "I wouldn't have made that stupid throw that Brady made in the 1st half for that INT." We are, apparently however, ignorant enough to think that because we watch football our whole lives, or play Madden or whatever, that we can playcall as well as guys who have done in professionally for decades.

Just because it's a purely intellectual exercise in our heads doesn't make it so on the field. Coaches are managing an incredibly complex network of coaches, players, plays and conditions. They should be afforded at least the same latitude that we extend to players, in my mind at least.

Seattle screwed up. But I understand why they did it and I understand the role of the athletes that executed the play on both sides had in the ultimate outcome. Bottom line is saying "Worst. Call. Ever." is cheap and dismissive.

"Ok I'm an elitist, but I have a healthy respect for people who don't measure up." --Aaron Sorkin

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

Disagree with most of what you said Rob.

First...offenses are reactive for the most part, BUT...defenses substitute second, so no matter what the offense does, they can only audible out with the personnel that is on the field. The Hawks didn't do that...they called their play w/ the personnel they had on the field and then used it as an excuse when it backfired.

Second...I bet of those 108 passes from the 1...90+ were of the fade or rollout variety. With a short QB, a slant from that close has disaster written all over it. Too many bad things can happen...tipped balls, overthrows, bad snaps since it was a shotgun, straight up INTs like we saw. If you must throw...fake up the middle and rollout with one of the most mobile QBs in history...let him make the decision with his legs. If the Pats really did sell out for the run, Wilson should stroll into the end zone. Worst case, he has to make a DB miss in the open field.

Third...hyperbole to say worst call ever. But certainly not out of the question when you factor time and circumstance. Sure, there have been worse regular season calls, or even earlier in the wildcard/division rounds...but given the stakes at that point, it very likely was the worst decision ever.

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

If Blount (who struggled) was the RB for the Seahawks, maybe and that's a big maybe I would agree with Carroll about passing the ball on 2nd and 1. But i would have used a different route, a play action call would have been more appropriate, and throw the ball away if no one is open. Geez, the way Wilson can run, even throw a QB sneak in there. I wouldn't have teleported the pass as it occurred and definitely not in an area of heavy traffic. But SEA had Lynch, a truck that would have sneezed into the end zone with three opportunities to do so and one TO.

Not saying that Carroll is a dumb coach for the record, he just happened to make the dumbest call for what was at stake.

Aristo
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Aristo »

God: ‘f*** Russell Wilson’
THE HEAVENS—Following the game-ending interception against the New England Patriots in Super Bowl XLIX, God Almighty, Creator and Supreme Ruler of the Universe, confirmed Monday that He “can’t f***in stand Russell Wilson” and that the Seattle Seahawks star quarterback “can go f*** himself.” “I hate Russell Wilson, so f*** him, and f*** the Seahawks,” said the Heavenly Father, adding that Jermaine Kearse’s incredible catch on Seattle’s final drive was indeed a case of divine intervention, but only so Wilson could then throw an interception that cost his team the Super Bowl. “I mean, the look on his face right after I made him throw that pick on the goal line was just priceless. He’s so f***in annoying, so I wanted to get his hopes up and then crush him in front of the whole world. Self-righteous little prick.” Despite subsequently allowing the Patriots to win their fourth Super Bowl title, God also clarified that Tom Brady, Bill Belichick, and Robert Kraft are all “dirty f***in cheats” who will spend an eternity in Hell after they die.
XBL Gamertag: JayhawkerStL

XXXIV
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by XXXIV »

DivotMaker wrote:
Ball is snapped and I see they are going to pass and before I can finish the sentence " what the f*** are you doing? " the game is over.

My gf who is sitting there watching with me gets up and says " I dont believe they did that" and just leaves the room. Thats it. She gone girl.

...Women, dogs, cats or any ten year old playing Madden would have handed the ball to Lynch.

wco81
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by wco81 »

NFL better not puss out and not punish the Pats, just because they won the SB.

XXXIV
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by XXXIV »

Inuyasha
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Inuyasha »

wco81 wrote:NFL better not puss out and not punish the Pats, just because they won the SB.

deflate gate is done. Everyone likes the Pats now , even the haters. Nothing will be found.

on another note, Warren Sapp - you big moron!

XXXIV
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by XXXIV »

Sorry 10s but this is a bit funny. Maybe a bit sad too but still funny. The last two minutes are great. Kinda . Maybe. Sorry.

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

No worries Zorba, I was something like that but in front of your youngs ones of course you have to show some restrain. We were all with Hawks jerseys too with two other buddies while the kids were playing with each other, and then we looked at each other with that awe, empty and sickening feeling. First thing I said was Pete "Go to Hell'. :twisted:

Go #12!

RobVarak
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by RobVarak »

Inuyasha wrote:
on another note, Warren Sapp - you big moron!
See, now THAT guy is unambiguously idiotic.