OT: Android Tablet Thread

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

jLp vAkEr0
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Re: OT: Android Tablet Thread

Post by jLp vAkEr0 »

Rodster wrote:I just snagged a new LG Pad 8.3 GPE for $225 from Expansys. I never heard of them until the deal was posted on Android Police. They have other discontinued GPE devices as well.

Are you guys aware of the app Showbox which allows you to stream free movies and TV shows on your Android device?

I'm tempted by this...

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

JackB1 wrote:
Rodster wrote:I just snagged a new LG Pad 8.3 GPE for $225 from Expansys. I never heard of them until the deal was posted on Android Police. They have other discontinued GPE devices as well.

Are you guys aware of the app Showbox which allows you to stream free movies and TV shows on your Android device?
Can't find "Showbox" on my Nexus 7
Google took it off their Play Store. Do a search for the app, enable to allow outside app installs, then install. You'll need to install the .apk from file manager.

JackB1
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by JackB1 »

Rodster wrote:
JackB1 wrote:

Can't find "Showbox" on my Nexus 7
Google took it off their Play Store. Do a search for the app, enable to allow outside app installs, then install. You'll need to install the .apk from file manager.
thanks. Just instaled it! Thanks for that tip about allowing outside app installs! Didn't even know about that :)

On a related note, how do I find more outside apps that aren't in "play store"?

JackB1
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by JackB1 »

Roadster you've always been so helpful and i appreciate that. Do you know how one would go about getting movies and TV from your android device to play on your TV?
With all these great shows available on Showbox, I could almost cancel my cable if I found a way to do this. My Nexus 7 only has a USB connector. Is here any contraption that let's you go from USB to your TV somehow?

jLp vAkEr0
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by jLp vAkEr0 »

JackB1 wrote:Roadster you've always been so helpful and i appreciate that. Do you know how one would go about getting movies and TV from your android device to play on your TV?
With all these great shows available on Showbox, I could almost cancel my cable if I found a way to do this. My Nexus 7 only has a USB connector. Is here any contraption that let's you go from USB to your TV somehow?
Is your N7 the 2013 version?

If it is you can buy a Chromecast and can now cast what's on your n7 screen to your tv.

JackB1
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by JackB1 »

jLp vAkEr0 wrote:
JackB1 wrote:Roadster you've always been so helpful and i appreciate that. Do you know how one would go about getting movies and TV from your android device to play on your TV?

If it is you can buy a Chromecast and can now cast what's on your n7 screen to your tv.
It's the original one, not the recent update. But if chromecast works with the new one, that alone is reason enough to upgrade. Also, does my TV have to be a "smart tv" or can I just use an Ethernet adapter with it?

jLp vAkEr0
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by jLp vAkEr0 »

JackB1 wrote:
jLp vAkEr0 wrote:

It's the original one, not the recent update. But if chromecast works with the new one, that alone is reason enough to upgrade. Also, does my TV have to be a "smart tv" or can I just use an Ethernet adapter with it?
Just need an empty HDMI port for the Chromecast.

The Chromecast will connect to your wifi. THEN you can cast your screen from your N7 (has to be 2013 model) to your tv via the chromecast.

jLp vAkEr0
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by jLp vAkEr0 »

JackB1 wrote:
jLp vAkEr0 wrote:

Just need an empty HDMI port for the Chromecast.

The Chromecast will connect to your wifi. THEN you can cast your screen from your N7 (has to be 2013 model) to your tv via the chromecast.

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

Man, the LG 8.3 GPE is a sweet tablet all the better at $225. :)

@Jack, you install Showbox the same way you install Flash on an Android tablet. I'm not going to write a couple of pages worth of instructions when the info is already available on the net, sorry man. First you need to do a Google search for Showbox then download the app from their website.

JackB1
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by JackB1 »

Rodster wrote:Man, the LG 8.3 GPE is a sweet tablet all the better at $225. :)

@Jack, you install Showbox the same way you install Flash on an Android tablet. I'm not going to write a couple of pages worth of instructions when the info is already available on the net, sorry man. First you need to do a Google search for Showbox then download the app from their website.
No man I got Showbox installed on my Nexus just fine. I was just trying to figure out how to get it onto something bigger than a 7" screen is all. Seems like I need the more recent Nexus for Chromecast to work with it. The only thing my Nexus has is a mini USB port.

JackB1
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by JackB1 »

Thanks JLP. Pretty sure my TV has a HDMI port. Now all I need is a new Nexus :)

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

Um...said that a year ago when it came out. :wink:

JackB1
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by JackB1 »

Is there a way to watch downloaded videos without being connected to the internet? It doesn't seem to work for me unless I connect.

Edit: just tried it again and now it works offline.

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

For any Amazon Prime members out there. Amazon now lets you have access to Prime videos and Music on any Android tablet. I don't see them leaving the Tablet business but I think this may lure those who don't want their Tablets.

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

Rodster wrote:For any Amazon Prime members out there. Amazon now lets you have access to Prime videos and Music on any Android tablet. I don't see them leaving the Tablet business but I think this may lure those who don't want their Tablets.
They didn't have much of a choice as they are getting crushed in hardware. I don't see how they can continue for too much longer. The fire tablet certainly sold a few but the phone has been a huge flop. Gotta figure out a way for them to make some money. Opening it up will likely do just that.

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

All Amazon needs to do is open their devices to the Play Store. That's why I have no desire to buy another one of their tablets. They are useless for anything other than Amazon's site or services. That aside, their tablets are priced well with kickass specs and good build quality.

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

This will probably be my next tablet. Looks great with solid specc and a 3D camera.

http://www.cnet.com/products/dell-venue-8-7000/

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

The giant bezel on the bottom just ruins the whole aesthetic. Looks out of balance.

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

Brand new LG G Pad 8.3s for 200 bucks via Newegg & EBay.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/LG-G-Pad-8-3-Ta ... 43ce26b515

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

Now this is how you design a smartwatch. Moto 360 in the house.

RallyMonkey
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by RallyMonkey »

dbdynsty25 wrote:Now this is how you design a smartwatch. Moto 360 in the house.

Wow, I actually owned something before you did!! Enjoy it. Unfortunately be prepared to never wear a regular watch again. My collection has been wasting away on my dresser for two weeks now.

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

RallyMonkey wrote:Wow, I actually owned something before you did!! Enjoy it. Unfortunately be prepared to never wear a regular watch again. My collection has been wasting away on my dresser for two weeks now.
You did? Just because I posted a picture doesn't mean it's the day I got it. ;)

But if you've had it for two weeks, you've still got me beat. My motorola credit account was not working at all when it went on sale which delayed me getting my order in...so I got mine about a week ago. I had the G Watch and the Gear Live back when they came out in July, and they just didn't do it for me aesthetically. This one is much more "normal" looking. Pissed I ran out of the house this morning in a hurry and completely forgot it.

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

Android L looks pretty slick even on a Samsung device with TouchWiz. I'm amazed how sh*t iOS has become since Scott Forstall was fired. Granted his stuff wasn't perfect but it was nowhere as bad as the stuff Jony Ive and his team conjured up. Supposedly Oct. 16th is the big day for both Android announcements and Apple's hardware lineup.

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

Yeah Touchwiz on my Galaxy Alpha...meh (but damn it's a beautiful piece of hardware so I deal). Can't wait till L comes out, tho we'll probably be waiting a while on Galaxy devices for an update.

Oh, and I finally got in on the OnePlus One invite system...got mine on the way. :)

jLp vAkEr0
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by jLp vAkEr0 »

I guess we can talk about the upcoming Nexus 6 on this thread since you know, it's basically a tablet!! hehe :D