ICS 2005 setup page

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

ICS 2005 setup page

Post by pk500 »

Boys:

Some dude created an IndyCar Series 2005 setup portal, where people could put their hot setups for all tracks for other to try.

http://www.lanceselgo.com/dev/indycarseries/faq.html

Pretty sparse there now, but the site has some promise. I just wonder how some of these "hot setups" work in traffic with full tanks.

Time to step on the soapbox now. While I'm glad everyone is honing the performance of their car with setups, I worry that too much emphasis will be placed on tinkering and not enough on improving driving and racing skills. After all, a quick, stable car is better in a race than a blindingly fast, knife-edge car.

And a hot setup doesn't mean sh*t if you're in the wall or running behind the Pace Car under caution for half the race ... :)

Take care,
PK
"You know why I love boxers? I love them because they face fear. And they face it alone." - Nick Charles

"First on the throttle, last on the brakes." - @MotoGP Twitter signature

XBL Gamertag: pk4425

Granatofan
Starting 5
Starting 5

Re: ICS 2005 setup page

Post by Granatofan »

pk500 wrote: Time to step on the soapbox now. While I'm glad everyone is honing the performance of their car with setups, I worry that too much emphasis will be placed on tinkering and not enough on improving driving and racing skills. After all, a quick, stable car is better in a race than a blindingly fast, knife-edge car.

And a hot setup doesn't mean sh*t if you're in the wall or running behind the Pace Car under caution for half the race ... :)

Take care,
PK
[soapbox]

If you want to be successful in the quarter distance or longer races you can't just tune for speed. There are setups that are blindingly fast, but you can only run 4 or 5 really hot laps and then the tires are done. When setting cars up for the longer races you need to practice with at least 1/2 a tank of fuel and preferably a full tank to see the changes the car goes through during the entire tank. Tire wear and the weight of all that fuel will make the car handle dramatically different through the life of the fuel and tires. On the longer races it is all about average speed and not hot laps.

[/soapbox]
Hating and Insurging since '85.

DChaps
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by DChaps »

I was just going to try an setup a similar thing, pretty cool. Now I don't have to. I agree with Paul though that the key is to learn how to keep the car on the track, in traffic, and with changing conditions of the car, not just the ideal 2-4 laps.

It would be nice if the server/host had a forced default setup option. Of course you would still have the ability to make the in race adjustments using fuel mixture, weight jacker, and front wing, but at least it would be equal.

I would also like to see the option for the host server to lock in cockpit view, and no assists. I am still testing this, and I have no idea if its just related to the different perspective, but I have seemingly been turning faster laps in the bumper cam view than in the cockpit view. I will use the exact same setup, and almost immediately I am quicker. I hope this is just me, which I am sure it is. I would be good to at least have the option of forcing everyone on the server to use the same view (ie some kind of "harccore" settings).

PS - Does anyone know how the fastest laps ratings are determined? There is a Fastest Lap, Average Lap, and then a Rating. The lists rank by the rating. Take a look at the current Indianapolis lists and you will see Paul at the bottom of the list. I can only assume that all our yellow laps from a couple nights ago has killed the average. If so, this could really be a flawed rating procedure.

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

Explanation of ratings from Codemasters' forum:

http://community.codemasters.com/forum/ ... adid=42849

Frankly, I don't care where I'm rated. I know where I'm fast and where I'm not, and that's all that matters.

Take care,
PK
"You know why I love boxers? I love them because they face fear. And they face it alone." - Nick Charles

Zeppo
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Zeppo »

Don:

somwhere in here in another ICS thread, someone posted a copy of a post from the Codemasters' forums, that explains the ratings. Apparently, the way the laps are averaged, it is meant to make the yellow-laps moot, but I must say i quickly perused the post, I didn't really delve into the nitty-gritty.

Oh and BTW, the points for the 1st GT Lights race (last week) are like this:
  • P1 BBReBozo 30pts
    P2 James_E 25pts
    P3 Granatofan 22pts
    P4 Fshguy 20pts
    P5 CP Zeppo 18pts
    P6 Spooky 157 16pts
    P7 pigpen81 14pts
    P8 XXXIV 12pts
    P9 MixDJ1 10pts
    P10 Badgun 8pts
    P11 JackB1 6pts
    P12 PK500 (retired due to cat stuck in engine) 5pts
I know James got pics of the starting grid, and th final results. I will try to get a write-up to you sometime tomorrow.

DChaps
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by DChaps »

Thanks for the links. I guess I should check out the Codies forums more often. ;)

I also don't care where I am rated, but was surprised to see my Indy rating so high when I have yet to even finish a race there. I also had a rating for Homestead, and I had not raced there at all online. I guess this must be like PGR2 where it will post info as long as you are logged into XBL.

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

DChaps wrote:Thanks for the links. I guess I should check out the Codies forums more often. ;)

I also don't care where I am rated, but was surprised to see my Indy rating so high when I have yet to even finish a race there. I also had a rating for Homestead, and I had not raced there at all online. I guess this must be like PGR2 where it will post info as long as you are logged into XBL.
Listen, hotshot, the bull's eye is on your ass the next time we race at Homestead. :)

Take care,
PK

davepack
Mario Mendoza

Post by davepack »

Praise the Lord! I am so glad somebody is setting up a place where we can find setups in one place.

Believe me, I'm not normally one to mooch off the hard work of others, but I'm just not a mechanically-inclined guy. If it wasn't for pk500's wonderful tips for tuning a car at Indy, I'd still yet to be able to race in the true Indianapolis 500 option with 33 cars in the field. The stock option might be great for a race, but it was never good enough for me to put up a good qualifying run without being bumped from the field.

Hopefully, this site will soon be populated by the more knowledgable gearheads out there. For those of you who have the patience and the inclination, your work is MUCH appreciated by folks like me.

J_Cauthen
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by J_Cauthen »

I tried Wade's Texas race setup. It allows you to fly, but with its dominant right bias, I couldn't race competitively with the AI cars using it. You have to fight to make the turns and any sort of evasive action you take to the right throws you into the wall. Great for hot-lapping though!

Granatofan
Starting 5
Starting 5

Post by Granatofan »

J_Cauthen wrote:I tried Wade's Texas race setup. It allows you to fly, but with its dominant right bias, I couldn't race competitively with the AI cars using it. You have to fight to make the turns and any sort of evasive action you take to the right throws you into the wall. Great for hot-lapping though!
It did state that it was a qualifying setup. I don't know if you noticed that and I'm not trying to be a smartass.
Hating and Insurging since '85.

J_Cauthen
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by J_Cauthen »

Granatofan,

Okay, I think I may have inferred something erroneously in my first perusal of the menu. I saw a hotlink titled "Texas" and then on the same line, another hotlink titled "Qualify". I clicked on the "Texas" link and got a setup, which I copied and applied. I presumed that the "Texas" link was the race setup and the "Qualify" link was for the qualifying setup for Texas. If both links lead to the same setup then I presumed wrong.

I guess I need to go back and refamiliarize myself with that page because I have a feeling I'm going to be using it a lot :)

It's a great qualifying setup for sure - I've run my fastest laps with it!

DChaps
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by DChaps »

Hmmm...That site seems to be gone now.

Edit:

Nope, here it is:

http://www.indycar2005setups.com/

J_Cauthen
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by J_Cauthen »

DChaps wrote:Hmmm...That site seems to be gone now.

Edit:

Nope, here it is:

http://www.indycar2005setups.com/
Thanks for the ammended link Don.

Granatofan,

I did misinterpet the page. On second look it's so clear that it's a qualifying setup up that I'm embarrassed over my inability to decifer what I was looking at. I think I fell into the trap of looking at this way because that was the way the setups are done on Team Lightspeed's NASCAR 2003 setup page.

It looks like the setups are coming in strong now... can't wait to get in and try some more, especially now that I know how to read the page :oops:

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

I'm a bit suspicious of some of the speeds posted in race trim: How do we know that the driver didn't get a hell of a tow from a leading car around the track, inflating the top speed?

We don't.

But that whole setup site is useful, especially the Setup Tips section.

Take care,
PK

Talamius
Mario Mendoza

Post by Talamius »

pk500 wrote:I'm a bit suspicious of some of the speeds posted in race trim: How do we know that the driver didn't get a hell of a tow from a leading car around the track, inflating the top speed?

We don't.

But that whole setup site is useful, especially the Setup Tips section.

Take care,
PK
Considering top of the board at Motegi is hotlapping low to mid 205s and they've got a guy claiming to be running nearly 207 in qualifying (read: no tow), I find a lot of those speeds suspect.