XBox One AND PS4 Discussion

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Re: XBox One AND PS4 Discussion

Post by pk500 »

Electoral map for popularity of PS4, Xbox One in each U.S. state based on social postings. Interesting, if inconclusive:

http://www.polygon.com/2014/6/22/583187 ... nsole-wars
"You know why I love boxers? I love them because they face fear. And they face it alone." - Nick Charles

"First on the throttle, last on the brakes." - @MotoGP Twitter signature

XBL Gamertag: pk4425

wco81
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by wco81 »

sportdan30 wrote: It played decently on next gen, but compared to the other sports games on next gen, it was severely lacking IMO. I really hope they bring it for 15. I believe EA acknowledged it was basically a port with few enhancements.
Operation Sports did a pretty long interview with the guy in charge of Madden in their podcast a week or two back.

He took over just before Madden 25 shipped. He played football in college and he says a lot of the right things in the interview but we'll see if they implement the things he talked about.

XXXIV
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by XXXIV »

pk500 wrote:Electoral map for popularity of PS4, Xbox One in each U.S. state based on social postings. Interesting, if inconclusive:

http://www.polygon.com/2014/6/22/583187 ... nsole-wars
:lol:

That is a funny map.

Looks like the heartland all about the PS4.

Cant argue that $100 is $100. :P

Diablo25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Diablo25 »

XBLive Gamertag - Diablo25
PSN Name - EPDiablo25

vinny-b
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by vinny-b »

Pete1210 wrote:
XXXIV wrote:At some point we have to stop incrementally improving consoles and f***in do something different. Maybe Steambox will be it? Something that can easily get my Steam library on my TV. And possibly more powerful hardware than XB1/PS4 at a competitive price?
mark me down as someone leaning towards a Steambox, instead of a next gen console purchase. For myself, the cons would be offset with the ability to have mods. Am tired of console franchises which take 2 steps forward, then 1 step back (looking at you Assassin's Creed) by taking away features such as custom camera angles, for no good reason. Mods will remedy this. Additionally, would look forward to playing GTA V with vehicle physics from GTA IV. The way it should've been, to begin with (IMO). Instead of publishers catering to a vocal minority. I expect Steambox will solve these current 'trends'

don't expect it to happen, however if Red Dead Redemption were ever released for steam (and modded) i would pretty much kill for it.

Aristo
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Aristo »

I don't think going back to the days of half-assed PC games that only became good when gamers stepped in to fix them is a big plus for the Steambox. I think it will be great for a small niche of gamers, but the Steambox is supposed to be a way for PC gaming to become more console-like. Limiting the hardware means gamers don't have to tweaking their rig and software to run games better. You really ought to just get an actual PC and some box that is going to make upgrading harder.

There are more tun enough good games released that I would rather skip the poor games and just play the good ones, rather than dick around fixing some a game that is half-assed. I personally don't think console and PC going compete as much as some people think. Many have both because they each fulfill a different need. I can tell you that what I like about console gaming can't be done by a PC. When I stopped PC gaming in favor of console gaming, I did so with the understanding that I was choosing to focus on a different type of gaming that wasn't better or worse.
XBL Gamertag: JayhawkerStL

vinny-b
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by vinny-b »

Aristo wrote:I personally don't think console and PC going compete as much as some people think. Many have both because they each fulfill a different need. I can tell you that what I like about console gaming can't be done by a PC. When I stopped PC gaming in favor of console gaming, I did so with the understanding that I was choosing to focus on a different type of gaming that wasn't better or worse.
thank you for the input.

btw, wouldn't you rather play GTA V (on your television) via PC or Steambox? Providing Rockstar does a decent port, that is. For me, the option for an "open system" looks attractive. As you know, mods aren't only about fixing broke games. But also rather, offering gamers additional options/choices. Often creative.

that said, i've never been a pc gamer. And maybe mods, are not all that. :?:

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

vinny-b wrote:btw, wouldn't you rather play GTA V (on your television) via PC or Steambox? Providing Rockstar does a decent port, that is. For me, the option for an "open system" looks attractive. As you know, mods aren't only about fixing broke games. But also rather, offering gamers additional options/choices. Often creative.

that said, i've never been a pc gamer. And maybe mods, are not all that. :?:
Mods depending on the game can massively enhance the fun factor. That's where Steam excels that some on the Steam community create free mods and are offered as free downloads. And mods could be new free cars or tracks to a racing game. I built my own Steam Box because console gaming has regressed the last several years and paying $60 for rehashed sh*t that doesn't cut it anymore. You also can get killer deals this time of year on Steam.

vinny-b
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by vinny-b »

Rodster wrote:Mods depending on the game can massively enhance the fun factor. That's where Steam excels that some on the Steam community create free mods and are offered as free downloads. And mods could be new free cars or tracks to a racing game. I built my own Steam Box because console gaming has regressed the last several years and paying $60 for rehashed sh*t that doesn't cut it anymore. You also can get killer deals this time of year on Steam.
this is my perception/view. 100% You nailed it. Right down to the Steam prices. I mean, between Macca's unopened steam purchases and your collection, you two have the capital/inventory to compete with GameFly.

do you still have your console games, Rod? :)

Macca00
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Macca00 »

vinny-b wrote:I mean, between Macca's unopened steam purchases and your collection, you two have the capital/inventory to compete with GameFly.
LMAO!!! It's the Steam Summer sale and I've bought even more games (that I'll never get round to playing). I need to join a support group!

XXXIV
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by XXXIV »

Macca00 wrote:
vinny-b wrote:I mean, between Macca's unopened steam purchases and your collection, you two have the capital/inventory to compete with GameFly.
LMAO!!! It's the Steam Summer sale and I've bought even more games (that I'll never get round to playing). I need to join a support group!
I worry about you. :P

DChaps
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by DChaps »

So two weeks ago I finally gave in and bought one of the Kinect-less Xbox One's. I love Titanfall and Forza 5, but I am starting to regret the decision to go without a Kinect. Have been running into annoyances with TV setup, Game DVR, Apps like Netflix and Amazon, etc. where Kinect is really beneficial or almost needed. Anyway, thanks to mixdj1 , I got a great deal on the Thrustmaster TX wheel for Xbox One/PC so that I can play Forza 5 in all its glory. Unfortunately, it looks like it actually requires Kinect to work propoerly. I am working with technical support now who say it should work, but according to the manual it also states the following:

If your racing wheel and pedal set do not operate correctly, or if calibration seems incorrect:
Turn off your console, disconnect your racing wheel entirely, reconnect all cables (using the mains
power supply cable and pedal set), then restart your console and your game.

CONTROLLER PAIRING (13)

To ensure correct detection of your racing wheel, the device's controller pairing (located on the upper
section of the racing wheel's base) must always remain in the KINECT™ camera's field of vision.

The wheel and pedals work on my PC in the control panel, and I can see and calibrate the wheel, pedals, buttons, force feedback, etc.. However, in Forza 5, all that works is the buttons and the paddle shifters. I have worked with Thrustmaster tech support, and tried a few suggestions from the Forza 5 forums, as well as a lot of advice from mixdj1(thanks man!), but have not figured it out yet. When I turn on the Xbox One, the wheel spins and seems to calibrate as is described in the manual. When I look at the in game control menu, everything seems to be mapped correctly and I have tried just resetting to default and starting over as well. Again, the buttons and the paddle shifters work, just no brake, steering or acceleration.

Anyway, main reason I am posting here is that at this point, I would not personally recommend going with the Kinect-less Xbox One. I am actually very happy with the Xbox One so far. Much more than I anticipated. I bought it mainly for Forza 5, Titanfall and the upcoming Forza Horizon 2. I just now wish I had the Kinext with it. Unfortunately, the Xbox One Kinect stand alone device is not going to be available until Sept/Fall 2014, so I am looking for a used one. Apparently Gamestop just started taking them for trade-in. Anyone else get the Kinect-less Xbox One, only to regret not having the controversial device, or am I the only dummy? :)

XXXIV
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by XXXIV »

DChaps wrote:Anyone else get the Kinect-less Xbox One, only to regret not having the controversial device, or am I the only dummy? :)
I finally took the dive a week or so ago too. I think it arrived last thursday? I dont know bout dummy as I was very tempted to get it without the Kinect but in the end I just did it cause Diablo ordered me to. Glad I did as I didnt get any games yet. Its great for watching TV. :lol: :lol:

It really does work well with my Comcast.

Since I didnt get the bundle (DONT ASK!) I am looking for the cheapest way to get Forza. Would be great to try a game on it. :P

Aristo
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Aristo »

Ebay seems to have several copies of Forza 5 for less than $30.

I would recommend taking a look at Powerstar Golf. It really is a fantastic arcade golf game that plays more realistic than you would think. well, it does for the first 20-30 hours, before you upgrade a ton and unlock the crazy hard courses. And while that gameplay leaves realism behind, it still is fun game to play.

They work in score chasing really well. It is more like record chasing, as you get XP for beating anyone on your friends list drive, landing closest to the hole when you land on the green, and longest putt. You can also play against anyone on your fiends list rounds, either by watching their strokes or by playing and seeing where their balls have gone.

I have wasted a ton of time in this game, and it is well worth the $15 or $20 they are asking. I never spend any money on boosts, as the game really does give you plenty of XP that allows you to buy them.

Diablo25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Diablo25 »

XXXIV wrote:
DChaps wrote:Anyone else get the Kinect-less Xbox One, only to regret not having the controversial device, or am I the only dummy? :)
I finally took the dive a week or so ago too. I think it arrived last thursday? I dont know bout dummy as I was very tempted to get it without the Kinect but in the end I just did it cause Diablo ordered me to. Glad I did as I didnt get any games yet. Its great for watching TV. :lol: :lol:

Since I didnt get the bundle (DONT ASK!) I am looking for the cheapest way to get Forza. Would be great to try a game on it. :P
Damn Skippy XXXIV! Once all of the voice commands become second nature you'll appreciate it more.
PSN Name - EPDiablo25

Diablo25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Diablo25 »

Diablo25 wrote:
XXXIV wrote:

Damn Skippy XXXIV! Once all of the voice commands become second nature you'll appreciate it more.
And oh yeah......NHL 15 is coming....shhhhhhhhh.
PSN Name - EPDiablo25

Pete1210
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Pete1210 »

XXXIV wrote:

Welcome to next gen! Amazon presently has Forza 5 on sale for $27.
XBL/PSN: Pete1210

Jimmydeicide
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Jimmydeicide »

Pete1210 wrote:
XXXIV wrote:

Welcome to next gen! Amazon presently has Forza 5 on sale for $27.
OMG XXXIV its Heavens Gate RUN!!!

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

A new map, a new vanquish confirmed mode and two new characters to one of my favorite games on the X1: Garden Warfare. All free.

It's also out already for PC and PS4 soon.

XXXIV
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by XXXIV »

I was too late.

If NHL ends up being my first, I will be okay.

Aristo
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Aristo »

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

XXXIV, I know you don't have any games yet but you're probably eligible for this or anyone thinking of buying an X1.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=851200

XXXIV
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by XXXIV »

Sadly no as it says 7/7 to 7/31.

May be a good idea for those looking to buy.

EDIT: From what Im reading they have to offer you the offer. :P

If true how classy is that?

DChaps
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by DChaps »

Clearly I need to do some more "googling" research, but I am discovering even more limitations with my "Kinect-Less" Xbox One that were unexpected. Does not appear that I can do the on the fly video capture or screenshots that I was so looking forward to being able to do while gaming. I am not talking about the picture in picture scenario, just the feature itself. For example, all I want to do is at the end of a race in Forza 5, screenshot or video capture the results so that I can view them later and not have to grab my phone and take a picture of the TV. Or while scrolling through Leadboards with the Friends filter, taking a screenshot or video capture of the lists while I switch from leaderboard to leaderboard. I am sure I am just missing something simple and/or just have not found the non-Kinect way to do it yet, but so far it seems like to do it on the fly requires the voice command from the Kinect. Sorry to be such a noob with the Xbox One questions/comments, but again my main purpose for posting this is that I have buyers remorse on not shelling out the extra $100 for the Kinect version. I knew it was a risk going in, just surprised at the things that also don't work without it (like my awesome Force Feedback Wheel that appears to require Kinect to work properly).

RobVarak
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by RobVarak »

DChaps wrote:Clearly I need to do some more "googling" research, but I am discovering even more limitations with my "Kinect-Less" Xbox One that were unexpected. Does not appear that I can do the on the fly video capture or screenshots that I was so looking forward to being able to do while gaming. I am not talking about the picture in picture scenario, just the feature itself. For example, all I want to do is at the end of a race in Forza 5, screenshot or video capture the results so that I can view them later and not have to grab my phone and take a picture of the TV. Or while scrolling through Leadboards with the Friends filter, taking a screenshot or video capture of the lists while I switch from leaderboard to leaderboard. I am sure I am just missing something simple and/or just have not found the non-Kinect way to do it yet, but so far it seems like to do it on the fly requires the voice command from the Kinect. Sorry to be such a noob with the Xbox One questions/comments, but again my main purpose for posting this is that I have buyers remorse on not shelling out the extra $100 for the Kinect version. I knew it was a risk going in, just surprised at the things that also don't work without it (like my awesome Force Feedback Wheel that appears to require Kinect to work properly).
Without the voice command, you'll clearly miss out on the "Xbox record that" convenience, but I think if you snap the Upload Game DVR using the Xbox button (or even switch to it altogether). I was totally unaware of this at first, as well, wrongly thinking that "record that" was the only option.

Details here: http://support.xbox.com/en-US/xbox-one/ ... d-game-dvr
Alternately, you can snap the Upload app to make recordings of a specific length.

Start the game you want to record from.

Say “Xbox, snap Upload.” Or, return to the Home screen by pressing the Xbox button on your controller, select Snap, select Upload, then select Record new clip. (If you don’t see the Record new clip option, select the Home option, then select Record new clip.)

Select one of the following options:

1. End clip now: You can create a video of your gameplay. You can capture the previous:
30 seconds
45 seconds
1 minute
3 minutes
5 minutes

2. Start new clip: Record up to five minutes of what you’re about to do in the game. To begin, say “Xbox, select” and “Start recording.” When you’re done, say “Xbox, select” and ”Stop recording.” Or, begin by selecting Start recording, then select Stop recording when you’re done.
XBL Gamertag: RobVarak

"Ok I'm an elitist, but I have a healthy respect for people who don't measure up." --Aaron Sorkin