Racing Sim Thread, Part II

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

DChaps
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Re: Racing Sim Thread, Part II

Post by DChaps »

Sweet!!!! Bathurst is coming to iRacing!!
Bathurst license signed

Working on our press release but know lot of people really want this track so thought would let folks know we finally secured the license for it officially yesterday. I assume it will release next year but hopefully will get it scanned this year. Again tracks coming next are Langley in June, Zolder around August, Oran Park Sept or October.

We should be scanning Rockingham and another Oval this year, Seekonk raceway in Massachusetts! Just kidding, will not be that oval.

Took us a long while to get the Bathurst license but Steve Myers stayed after it.

Tony Gardner
iRacing Staff

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

MEGA, MEGA, MEGA! :)
"You know why I love boxers? I love them because they face fear. And they face it alone." - Nick Charles

"First on the throttle, last on the brakes." - @MotoGP Twitter signature

XBL Gamertag: pk4425

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

Holy sh*t, what a cool sim racing setup:

http://www.virtualr.net/the-most-impres ... ever-video
"You know why I love boxers? I love them because they face fear. And they face it alone." - Nick Charles

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

This 1937 Grand Prix mod looks like a winner for those still playing rFactor:

http://www.virtualr.net/1937-grand-prix ... previews-3

DChaps
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by DChaps »

pk500 wrote:This 1937 Grand Prix mod looks like a winner for those still playing rFactor:

http://www.virtualr.net/1937-grand-prix ... previews-3
The guys from the Team Vintage mod group do some fine work, and I would love to check this out as it has been a long time coming. However, I just no longer have the time or the patience for installing mods. iRacing has defnitely spoiled me from that standpoint. I was just recently trying to get my Grand Prix Legends install back up to todays standards and I just got burned out trying to get all the correct patches, car and track updates, physics, etc. and I gave up. While I purchased both pCars (Slightly Mad Studios) and the rFactor 2 beta, I just have not really put too much time into either of those sims. Granted, they are betas so some manaul work and bugs are to be expected. Recently, as I was struggling with getting something working in rFactor 2, I came across this video on the "new and easy" mod install features of rFactor 2. I don't know, I guess I am just getting dumber and lazy in my old age, because this just seems like a lot of work. I do like the voice over work though. :)

WPatrick
Panda Cub
Panda Cub

Post by WPatrick »

Don I had the same thing happen last week. Tried to install rFactor and a few mods and just gave up. I just don't have the time or the patience anymore. iRacing makes it so much easier.

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

Anyone else get in on F1 Online beta? I got an invite and had a chance to try it out tonight.

DChaps
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by DChaps »

The newest iRacingTV Episode 13 has revealed some interesting info regarding new British tracks to be scanned and added to the sim. Snetterton Circuit, Croft Circuit, Thruxton Circuit, and Mallory Park are signed and will be scanned along with Donington Park. Those are all some great tracks that have only been in a couple sims previously (Grand Prix Legends Mods and original TOCA's?). Anyway, looks like their BTCC relationship is paying off.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rxxGuyu6 ... e=youtu.be
Last edited by DChaps on Mon Jun 18, 2012 9:34 pm, edited 2 times in total.

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

Oooh, Thruxton. Scary, scary fast. Nice!

DChaps
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by DChaps »

Free 6 Months of iRacing - offer expires July 31, 2012

This is a great deal for anyone who wants to give iRacing a shot. 6 months free, 13 tracks, and 7 cars. The new build with a multitude of enhancements was just released today, that includes built in league functionality. I am going to setup a casual league using just the content that is available in this free offer. I will post more info about this league later in the week. Take advantage before July 31 to get the most bang for your buck (so to speak, since it is actually free). ** While this deal is for new members only, I believe if you are no longer an active member you can re-sign up using different user name and still get the 6 months free.
iRacing and Cadillac teamed up earlier this year, to bring the 2012 Cadillac CTS-V Racecar to the service. With the addition of the CTS-V Racecar, comes the Cadillac Cup Series.

With this relationship, Cadillac is offering a FREE 6-month membership to iRacing.com to new members.
This free membership includes the standard 10 tracks (Charlotte Motor Speedway, Mazda Raceway Laguna Seca, South Boston Speedway, Okayama International Circuit, Oxford Plains Speedway, Summit Point Motorsports Park, Lanier National Speedway, Lime Rock Park, Thomnpson International Speedway, and USA International Speedway).

The upcoming Cadillac Cup Series starts in a couple of weeks, and Cadillac will also include Mosport International Raceway, Mid-Ohio Sports Car Course, and Infineon Raceway that are on the schedule, for free as well.

With the Cadillac Cup’s free membership also comes seven free cars, including the Legends Ford ’34 Coupe, Pontiac Solstice, Ford Spec Racer, JR Motorsports Street Stock, Mazda MX-5 Cup, Mazda MX-5 Roaster, and the Cadillac CTS-V.

To take advantage of this offer, head over to the Cadillac Cup Website and signup. After you signup there, you will receive a promo code to enter on iRacing’s Cadillac Cup Promo Page.
https://cadillaccupracing.com/

http://www.iracing.com/cadillac/

http://iracerstuff.com/?p=921
Effective July 31st, 2012, the complimentary 6-month subscription offer will expire and be replaced by a 3-month subscription offer.

Gurantsu
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Gurantsu »

That is a crazy good deal. I'm trying to get my step-bro into it. I'm really interested to see how the leagues work out. I looks like they give a lot of flexability in setting them up.
2319!

Gamertag: "Gurantsu"

DChaps
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by DChaps »

Gurantsu wrote:That is a crazy good deal. I'm trying to get my step-bro into it. I'm really interested to see how the leagues work out. I looks like they give a lot of flexability in setting them up.
Yeah, I think I am definitely going to start a DSP Poker Night League. It would basically be free for 6 months for anyone wanting to try out iRacing. Even if no one shows up, at least I will get to try out the new League settings. As a former league admin for GPL, GTR, rFactor and NR2003, these new features are welcome. If it's everything it is promises, it should eliminate all the manual headaches that used to be involved in running leagues. Hosting, Scheduling, Points, Servers, Stats, etc. all automated and flexible. Nice.... Sometimes the internets are very cool. I will post more info about the league shortly.

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

Count me in, Don! :)

Gurantsu
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Gurantsu »

For any of you guys who use Steam, Indianapolis 500: Evolution is in the Greenlight section.
2319!

DChaps
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by DChaps »

I am so out of it that I did not even realize that despite the hurricane, Boston based iRacing released the new build this week for Season 4 2012. I took a look at the new spotter/team function that will eventually lead to driver swaps and endurance racing. Seems cool and full featured, but confusing as hell to a simpleton like me. I have a hard enough time trying to race and use the talk/chat function as it is. Maybe I will be able to pay Adam or Terry to be my spotter so that I can actually run some official races for once. ;)
iRacing is excited to release yet another feature, function and content update to the service as it does every 90 days. The constant updates are unique in the industry and we hope you enjoy the latest update as our standard Season 4 racing season is set to start.

This build was a big one for us as some massive architectural changes were completed including allowing for 64 bit computing and touch screen capabilities as well as the foundation for what we are calling Team Racing. From a members perspective – for now -- you will notice the new spotter functionality and new radio and scanner features as the start of the overall team functionality in this build. More will continue to roll out in the future.

These large architectural changes are exciting for us long-term and set the stage for many enhancements in the future.

That said, we have not forgotten about the short term either as you can see from our release notes by clicking here (http://members.iracing.com/jforum/posts ... 96707.page). Along with the spotter functionality some of the highlights include new content including Rockingham Speedway and Oran Park. One of America’s most legendary ovals, Rockingham (aka The Rock) hosted nearly 100 NASCAR Sprint Cup races over the years, while Oran Park enjoyed a special place in the hearts Australian race fans before it was demolished to make way for a housing development. Now, Oran Park and its distinctive figure eight layout will live forever . . . thanks to iRacing.

FYI, the much anticipated Lotus 49 is close to being released but not quite ready for prime time and we will get it out as soon as it is ready. We also included our latest dose of realism - a feature that produces buildup of dirt and grime on your windshield, along with tear-offs enabling your crew to give you a clear view ahead after every pit stop. Again, see our release notes linked above for full list of updates.

Gurantsu
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Gurantsu »

These new additions are awesome. The endurance racing with driver swaps could be cool. I've had a sort of spotter at times (using Teamspeak) when running with the Apex Racing guys, so having an official iRacing version will be neat. (I don't run a lot with them anymore unfortunately; the core group is much more hardcore than me, and I just can't devote the time necessary to feel like I am contributing. Still a great group though, and their motto is "once a member, always a member").

I'm really looking forward to the Lotus 49. It will be interesting to see the differences from Grand Prix Legends. Once it comes out I'll snag Oran Park as well.
2319!

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

I want the Lotus! :)

My only fear is that these architectural changes will put iRacing beyond the very limited technical capabilities of my laptop. I'm already almost at the limit now. Fingers crossed, as I'm not buying a special rig just for online sim racing.

DChaps
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by DChaps »

pk500 wrote:I want the Lotus! :)

My only fear is that these architectural changes will put iRacing beyond the very limited technical capabilities of my laptop. I'm already almost at the limit now. Fingers crossed, as I'm not buying a special rig just for online sim racing.
They have had some different bugs that they are about to release an update for. However, in general it appears that the 64bit has helped performance. If you already have 64bit machine, it will default to 64bit. However, you can still run the 32bit version and it should be just fine. The beauty of iRacing is that it is pretty scalable. My machine would be considered ancient, but it still runs at over 100fps with most details turned on.

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

Very true on the scalability. I have a 64-bit lappy, so maybe this new build will optimize the service even better. :)

TCrouch
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by TCrouch »

I have a problem. I formatted my machine and my Nascar Racing 2003 CD won't reinstall. It's aged pretty good and scratched up a bit, but it always detected as a valid disc when launching it. I still have the game installed on my "Games" drive, but there are no registry entries configured, so it says the installation is corrupt and to reinstall when attempting to play it.

I go to install and it hangs at 59% while trying to install some Daytona data.

So what I'm looking for is somebody who's a bit more experienced in this stuff to help me find a downloadable copy. I used to be pretty good with it, but I've been out of the game for a while. I have the legit CD, so I don't need any cracks or anything weird--just a copy of the disc that I can mount and install from, then use my normal disc for game bootup, etc.

I've never used Torrents much, but if anybody could send me a PM with some details on how to get this sucker up and running again, I'd be in your debt. I just don't want to go searching for this and end up with a fun little virus where I'll have to reformat everything all over again lol

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

Terry PM your address, i'll send you a copy or you can download it via torrent and apply the crack.

TCrouch
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by TCrouch »

Appreciate that Rodster. I think I may have figured it out at lunch, but I ran out of time to test it. If it doesn't work, I'll definitely send you a PM. Thanks again!

GB_Simo
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by GB_Simo »

Chaps,

Dug out the G25 tonight for some GPL action, having downloaded the 1966 and 1969 mods during the week. Somehow, I'd made it this far without ever playing them.

I'm still on the fence with regard to the 69 cars, just because I'm not sure how well the GPL model lends itself to increased downforce - slides feel more abrupt and snappy now, rather than turning into the throttle-controlled drifts I should still be able to pull off - but the 66 cars are tremendous fun. Decent amounts of grip give confidence from the word go and while there's enough power to get the tail out, it's nothing like as snappy and potentially overwhelming as the default GPL machines are.

I should have won a race this evening but, having ran a 5 lap race at Oulton in the 69 mod, I crossed the line thinking I'd snatched victory from Jack Brabham on the last lap at Brands, only realising that the race had 7 laps in it when I pushed Esc-Enter to return to the pits and unwittingly retired myself from the event. Paddock Hill bend, 1966-style, is a lesson in tuning out your self-preservatory instincts and drifting an Eagle through Hawthorn's and Westfield feels sublime. Brilliantly, Graham Hill's moustache is accurately represented in-game; the mod makers obviously went to some trouble to get the details right.

Between that and a quick thrash with the default cars, I fell in love with this thing all over again. It doesn't matter what we've had since then, nor does it matter what we might get in the future. Leathering through the Masta kink in a Lotus 49 never fails to exhilarate. Somehow, Grand Prix Legends just doesn't age for me.
XBox Live and PSN Gamertag: theycallhimsim

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

'Tis an ageless game.

TCrouch
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by TCrouch »

Already ranted about this earlier in another thread, but after messing with the Note II phone and a Galaxy tablet, I have perfected my racing setup until I get an actual racing cockpit. This is all just planted on a corner type desk, but I ended up doing some creative drilling for the button box, and angled some 2x4 wedges to get my shifter clamped to the desk at an angle that was tilted toward me. It all comes apart in a matter of seconds, and can be used on the same location where I play normal games and my 360. The Note II on the left is for lap times and my real time telemetry, where the right Tablet (that I stole from my wife once I figured out how to do this) handles the gear indicator, shift lights, temps, etc. The panorama shot is a bit blurry with the way the Samsung tech is, so I took a better 'straight on' shot as well:

I'm about in heaven at this point :lol:

Just had to share...sorry for posting about it a few times. Just each time I make a tweak to it, it gets that much cleaner. Those shots are sitting from probably6 inches above my head, but they at least show the perspective and how clean it is from monitor to monitor. Could be a little better, but not worth messing with over such minor discrepancies.