Any Boardgamers out there?

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

Bill_Abner
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Bill_Abner »

Sweet, thx Jared.
No High Scores:
http://www.nohighscores.com/

Gurantsu
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Re: Any Boardgamers out there?

Post by Gurantsu »

So I recently got a copy of Star Trek Fleet Captains (which led to playing Star Trek Online, but thats another thread.) It has become in a short time one of my favorite games. It is dripping with theme, but none of it feels "tacked on", everything is there for a reason. All the different parts work together very well. There is a large random factor, as your ships, missions, and the map are all randomly allocated at the beginning of the game (although your missions are based on your ships, so strong fighting ships will get more combat missions, etc).

Most games we've played so far have been very close, the only exception being a Klingon blitz that utterly destroyed the Federation (the first victim was Kirk while captaining the Enterprise E).

I've even posted a Deep Space 9 variant on Boardgamegeek that we use now and then.

It's certainly not cheap (the 24 sculpted mini's included no doubt raise the price), but for sheer value for your dollar it's worth every penny for me. Any of you other boardgamers out there give it a shot?
2319!

Gamertag: "Gurantsu"

Leadfoot5
Starting 5
Starting 5

Post by Leadfoot5 »

Gurantsu, sounds cool...

I just discovered Memoir '44, although I guess I'm about 8 years late to the party!! Unfortunately, I don't have any gamers in my family or circle of friends, so I'm trying out the on-line version. Anyone else play this game on-line?

Danimal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Danimal »

Allow me to do a plug for my site.

http://www.oldboardgamers.com/2011/revi ... -expecting

Scoop is one of our writers for Digital Games so check out his stuff as well.
Follow Me on:
YouTube - www.youtube.com/maxpixelation/
Twitch - twitch.tv/maximumpixelation
Twitter - twitter.com/maxpixelation

Gurantsu
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Gurantsu »

Danimal wrote:Allow me to do a plug for my site.

http://www.oldboardgamers.com/2011/revi ... -expecting

Scoop is one of our writers for Digital Games so check out his stuff as well.
Excellent review! I agree with it, although I got my copy from Amazon and it was a newer version where all of the cards were in a plastic cover, and the ships were covered with foam, so no damage at all for me.

I even had a non-Trek fan ask to play a second time, although I think he was just hoping for the opportunity to shoot down Wesley Crusher. :lol:
2319!

Gurantsu
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Gurantsu »

And to continue my obsession with Fleet Captains, I created a set of miniatures rules using the ships and cards from it. I posted them in a message on the Boardgamegeek page. Since I think the Star Trek Heroclix Tactics game is terrible (I do like the minis though), I took matters into my own hands. If any of you guys try them out let me know what you think.
2319!

Danimal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Danimal »

G -

I would love to see those rules. I agree the Wiz-Kid clix stuff sucks. I'm not even going to waste any time reviewing it's so bad.

BTW I am looking for writers. Can't pay you anything but maybe an occasional free game from a publisher.
Follow Me on:

Gurantsu
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Gurantsu »

Dan, PM me your email address and I'll send you a copy. I wouldn't mind taking a shot at writing for your site. Been a while since I did any serious writing in my Navy days but it might be fun now and then.
2319!

Gurantsu
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Gurantsu »

I recently picked up a copy of the new Axis&Allies miniatures game "Angels 20", and I have to say it's pretty solid.

When using the full rules, it's a decent little WW2 air combat game. The planes don't move far per turn (with 5 inch hexes how could they?) but they act as you would expect and after modifiers (pilot skill, angle of attack, etc) it can be hard to shoot down a plane. However if can get a good tail shot lined up, you can take a plane down in one shot.

The plane models themselves are really nice. In the starter box you get 2 Hurricanes and a Spitfire for the British, and 2 BF-109's and a BF-110 for the Germans. The wingspan on the 110 is almost 7 inches, huge for a miniature game, and the paint jobs are well done too.

The game is a bit pricey retail, but can be found for a decent price online. Not a bad game at all if you are into WW2 air combat.
2319!

Gurantsu
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Gurantsu »

Have any of you guys watched the internet show called TableTop? Is was designed and is hosted by William Wheaton (who played Wesley Crusher in Star Trek The Next Generation... yeah I know, but I prefer to remember him from Stand By Me! :lol: )

Basically, Will has some celebrities come to play boardgames with him. Granted, you won't see Tom Cruise show up, but the folks who do are funny and really down to earth. They go over rules, play the games, discuss strategy, and while they do it they give you a really good idea of the mechanics of a game. I've already bought one game after watching the show, and have two more on my list.

Any of you boardgame nerds out there should check it out. You can find it on http://www.geekandsundry.com, or on YouTube.
2319!

Danimal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Danimal »

I watch it.

I liked Wheaton more before he decided to cash in on his nerd cred. Did you see the godawful show he host after Falling Skies. It was a rip off of that walking dead post show but only 100 times worse.

Show is funny enough but it's not an original idea, well the D-List celebs are but not the show in general.
Follow Me on:

webdanzer
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by webdanzer »

I figure the boardgamers on here are mostly aware of the Hot Deals section of the Boardgamegeek forums, but I thought this was worth mentioning:

http://www.miniaturemarket.com/aeg5401.html

Ninja:Legend of the Scorpion Clan is on clearance there for 15 bucks. It has mixed reviews on BGG, but I personally really enjoy it. I have played it with my 10 year old son, and we've found quite a bit of fun tension as guards and ninjas played a deadly game of hide and seek within a two-castle compound.

Definitely some luck involved in deciding the winners and losers, but I think it's a pretty neat hidden movement game.

EDIT: Also, Eclipse is 75% off at Barnes and Noble in the clearance section, but good luck finding it! Sold out everywhere by me for that price, and the ones that showed on the web as being in stock are all on hold for someone else.

Danimal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Danimal »

I think Ninja is a really bad game personally, so bad I didn't bother reviewing it. However everyone has different tastes, all my friends love Planet Steam but I would rather you kick me in the jimmies for an hour before I would play that again. :D

Eclipse for the iPad was submitted this week, if there is enough interest here I would love to get a group game going.
Follow Me on:

webdanzer
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by webdanzer »

What bugged you about Ninja, Dan? We haven't played it much, yet, but so far it's been really fun for me and my son.

What else has everyone been playing?

Recently I've been tearing it up (for me), getting in some plays of:

Ninja
Love Letter
Conquest of Planet Earth: The Space Alien Game
Garden Dice
Snake Oil
Kingsburg
Ghost Stories
For Sale
Sentinels of the Multiverse
Claustrophobia
Friday
Neuroshima Hex!

Most are on the simpler end of the scale, as I usually play with my sons. Anyone know if the Apocalypse expansion for Conquest is any good?

Danimal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Danimal »

webdanzer wrote:What bugged you about Ninja, Dan? We haven't played it much, yet, but so far it's been really fun for me and my son.
Honestly there is too much room for human error and it can ruin the game. In a situation with a family member or someone you can kind of check on I see the appeal.
What else has everyone been playing?
I know you're not asking me to critique your choices but here is what I think on some of them.

Love Letter - Haven't played heard it was good.
Conquest of Planet Earth: The Space Alien Game - I really like this game but no one else does so it sits on my game shelf.
Garden Dice - Never heard of this one.
Snake Oil - Favortie family and party game. My go to game besides skull and roses for dinner parties.
Kingsburg - Good game
Ghost Stories - Awesome game but a tad on the hard side for some.
Sentinels of the Multiverse - If you own the 2nd edition with counters good game. If you're a slub like me and got the 1st edition yuck.
Claustrophobia - AWESOME Game, must buy expansion.

The game that gets the most play at my house is X-Wing. If you came to my house and said every game must go but one it would be X-wing (and you would need a moving truck). Also big around the house: Seasons, Mice and Mystics, Star Wars LCG and Agents of Smersh.

Games I am playing for review right now. Walking Dead card game (horrible) Relic (good if you like Talisman), Convoy (really good 2 player), Fading Glory

Games big at my gaming group: Terra Mystics (only played it once didn't have a good experience), Ground floor (good game but long), NetRunner LCG

Also Zep asked me for a list of good 2 player strategy games so maybe we can all help him out since I haven't had time to wrap my head around it. Off the top of my head Twillight Struggle, 1960 Making of the President.
Follow Me on:

webdanzer
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by webdanzer »

Danimal wrote: Honestly there is too much room for human error and it can ruin the game. In a situation with a family member or someone you can kind of check on I see the appeal.
I can see that. In my plays with my son I’ve treated it almost like a single player RPG that I was GMing, so that is in line with what you were saying. I agree it wouldn’t work in situations where trust might be a factor.
Danimal wrote: I know you're not asking me to critique your choices but here is what I think on some of them.
LOL, bring it!
Web’s recent games played discussion wrote:
Love Letter - Haven't played heard it was good. *** VERY good filler game. Non-gamers seem to like it, too.

Conquest of Planet Earth: The Space Alien Game - I really like this game but no one else does so it sits on my game shelf. ***So far we like it as well. Also seems to be a game that can be luck-swingy, though, so beware if that bothers you. If you are playing competitively one player can get crappy luck on location value draws, while the other can win without leaving his board. Cool, zany fun if you are cool with that possibility, though. I hear the expansion has some elements that even that out a bit. (Adds things to do with zero-value locations---I want to check it out)

Garden Dice - Never heard of this one.***Neat game I saw recommended for families. Simple to play yet allows for far more choices than is typical for a game of its complexity.

Snake Oil - Favortie family and party game. My go to game besides skull and roses for dinner parties.***My favorite party game too. We’ve had some roll on the floor, tears in the eyes sessions with this one! :)

Kingsburg - Good game ***My son loves it. Perhaps his favorite.

Ghost Stories - Awesome game but a tad on the hard side for some. ***Haven’t won yet. Hope they bring White Moon back in print!

Sentinels of the Multiverse - If you own the 2nd edition with counters good game. If you're a slub like me and got the 1st edition yuck.*** I got the good version! :) Still, even with counters, gets really fiddly and sometimes hard to track. Still captures the comic book battle feel fantastically, though!

Claustrophobia - AWESOME Game, must buy expansion.***Great components, very easy to set up and play, some original mechanics, and one of the go-to’s in my house. I have the expansion, have yet to use it, though.
Dan’s mentioned games discussion wrote: The game that gets the most play at my house is X-Wing. If you came to my house and said every game must go but one it would be X-wing (and you would need a moving truck). *** One of our favorites too, but it hasn’t had much play recently. Great fun. I actually watched one of your unboxing videos, Dan. The one where you seemed dead tired. :)

Also big around the house:

Seasons *** What is your thought on how this would play with a (smart) ten year old? Actually near the top of my next purchases list, but not sure if it would work with him.

Mice and Mystics***Wanted to like this more than I do. Rulebook leaves many questions, I actively dislike the cheese wheel mechanic and how much your ability to succeed is driven by luck, and how certain things can be gamed. (Kiting the last enemy to allow for more search attempts before moving the timer) I LOVE the attention paid to story, though. I still like it, but already have reams of house rules when I play

Star Wars LCG ***Haven’t played. Seems fun.

Agents of Smersh.***I like this a lot, but takes up a lot of space and tends to run long, so it doesn’t get frequent play.

Convoy (really good 2 player) ***Interested to read more about this one.

NetRunner LCG *** Played a couple games with Gameseven. Loved it!!

Danimal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Danimal »

Seasons would work fine with a 10 year old IMO. You can read my review if you like but I have yet to find anyone I teach this game too who hasn't liked it. Just know the first few games you will have no idea what cards to pick during the draft. You have to treat those games as just learning exercises.
Follow Me on:

ScoopBrady
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by ScoopBrady »

I have recently gotten back into Magic and board games in general. I am looking hard at Android: Netrunner and Castle Ravenloft.
I am a patient boy.
I wait, I wait, I wait, I wait.
My time is water down a drain.

webdanzer
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by webdanzer »

I've heavily tipped from video-gaming to board-gaming lately, for many reasons.

Netrunner is a lot of fun Scoop. Really neat asynchronous play. Make take a couple games to get a feel, but the gameplay supports the theme well!

btmmayor
Starting 5
Starting 5

Post by btmmayor »

Danimal wrote:
The game that gets the most play at my house is X-Wing. If you came to my house and said every game must go but one it would be X-wing (and you would need a moving truck)
My oldest son and I have had a blast playing x-wing. Do you have the Falcon and Slave I expansions? I live about 10 minutes away from Cool Stuff Inc which has some pretty great prices and am thinking of picking those two up.

Danimal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Danimal »

Yes I have them both. My entire collection consists of

6 X-wings
8 Tie regulars
2 Y-Wings
4 Tie Advanced
4 A-wings
4 Tie Interceptors
1 Falcon
1 Slave One

I wasn't going to buy the Slave 1 but I am glad I did. I like both the bigger ships and the added unique cards. I like the A-wings boost action as well.

I also own a Death Star Board which was cast so its not a mat. I have 4 vinyl mats and a bunch of home made asteroids. I didn't realize we had so many X-wing players I have been working on a campaign for the game and could use some play testers.
Follow Me on:

webdanzer
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by webdanzer »

Danimal wrote: I didn't realize we had so many X-wing players I have been working on a campaign for the game and could use some play testers.
Do we need to have your ship mix? 8O :lol:

I thought I had a lot, buying 1 of each pack released so far.

Seriously, I'd be up for it if it doesn't require the multiples. I only have multiples of base TIEs and X-Wings.

RallyMonkey
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by RallyMonkey »

Web and Dan,

My daughters (12 and 10) love to play games, but a long learning curve may lose them. I'm tired of playing the usual suspects and was looking for suggestions. Any help is appreciated, thanks.

ScoopBrady
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by ScoopBrady »

Does anybody play any of the board game adaptations on iOS? I would definitely be interested in playing online with people. I have a lot of digital board games.
I am a patient boy.
I wait, I wait, I wait, I wait.
My time is water down a drain.

GameSeven
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by GameSeven »

RallyMonkey wrote:Web and Dan,

My daughters (12 and 10) love to play games, but a long learning curve may lose them. I'm tired of playing the usual suspects and was looking for suggestions. Any help is appreciated, thanks.
I don't believe it's been mentioned yet, but Web introduced me to the following game and expansions. I picked it up and my kids (10 and 6) and others I've introduced to it have enjoyed it very much.