The IPhone is totally awesome oh my gawd thread

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Re: The IPhone is totally awesome oh my gawd thread

Post by dbdynsty25 »

Diablo25 wrote:
dbdynsty25 wrote:
Diablo25 wrote:I'm bitter. First off, I missed the early preorder window because my alarm didn't go off so I could order at midnight (3 am EST). I ended up ordering at 6 am on the 14th. A friend of mine ordered his later in the day (afternoon actually) and he just received his shipment confirmation email. Me, I got nothing. I'm pissed.
That's what you get for being a Philly fan. Even Apple hates Philadelphia. :) The left coast is the best coast as 2pac would say (either hologrammed or alive).
I can understand the hatred from a Braves fan but if you want to talk hip hop...the east coast destroys the west coast. Always has, always will. West coast is the east coast's little brother.

I'm still bitter. Almost called Apple's customer service just to see what they would say.
Haha. Yeah. Says the Phillies who won't be playing in October this year. And I was referring to living on the west coast not the rap game. Just was quoting the late great PAC. I agree for the most part east coast dominates.

Call Apple. They will hook you up. They usually do.

Diablo25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Diablo25 »

I did call them this morning and just got the company line. Still no email or shipping confirmation.
XBLive Gamertag - Diablo25
PSN Name - EPDiablo25

WPatrick
Panda Cub
Panda Cub

Post by WPatrick »

The Apple podcast app stinks. Why did they pull it out of the music app?

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

Weird. Since the iOS update, my apps on the iPhone doesn't ask me for the password but on the iPad it does.

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

Just got my shipping notice. Receiving it Oct 2nd. Was playing with it over the weekend with my daughter at the Apple store, and I was surprised how feather light it was. For $99 I am thinking of adding Apple care for the 1st time since I owned the iPhone 3.

The white color looks the best.

Naples39
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Naples39 »

10spro wrote:Weird. Since the iOS update, my apps on the iPhone doesn't ask me for the password but on the iPad it does.
Both devices are on iOS 6? I know iOS 6 was going to change that.

Having had my iPhone 5 since release has been great. I can't meaningfully dissect it against other smartphones, but perhaps my favorite thing is that it is FAST. Starting and switching apps is significantly quicker than my iPad 2.

Now i just need to get all the apps up to iPhone 5 spec...wasting screen space with black bars otherwise!
XBL-Naples39; Steam-scrub47; GameCenter-MasterOnion39;

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

Naples39 wrote:
10spro wrote:Weird. Since the iOS update, my apps on the iPhone doesn't ask me for the password but on the iPad it does.
Both devices are on iOS 6? I know iOS 6 was going to change that.

Having had my iPhone 5 since release has been great. I can't meaningfully dissect it against other smartphones, but perhaps my favorite thing is that it is FAST. Starting and switching apps is significantly quicker than my iPad 2.

Now i just need to get all the apps up to iPhone 5 spec...wasting screen space with black bars otherwise!
Yep, both are updated to iOS 6 and only the ipad keeps asking me for the password.

Diablo25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Diablo25 »

10spro wrote:Just got my shipping notice. Receiving it Oct 2nd. Was playing with it over the weekend with my daughter at the Apple store, and I was surprised how feather light it was. For $99 I am thinking of adding Apple care for the 1st time since I owned the iPhone 3.

The white color looks the best.
I'll have mine on Thursday the 27th. Looking forward to it.
XBLive Gamertag - Diablo25
PSN Name - EPDiablo25

tjung0831
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by tjung0831 »

Alright this is for Scott, I've given him a lot of crap for his love of phones over the years but I respect his knowledge. I think i'm going to pass on the iPhone 5 and stick with Android. My question is should I grab the Galaxy SIII for $100 at best buy on Sunday or should I wait for the quad core phones that are coming out. I know that LG is going to have the next Galaxy nexus phone shortly and I know that HTC has some newer HTC one's one the way. The $100 price on the GSIII is tempting but I'm sort of tempted to see what LG might do.
Tim

"tjungin it"

PS4 - tjung0831
Xbox - NHLTIM

wco81
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by wco81 »

I'd wait for reviews of those new phones first. Not clear the software will make use of all those cores.

Do you play "console-like" games on your phone? Or do you think quad core CPU will make Angry Bird like games better?

The Note 2 is also coming out and that also has quad-core. I guess it's between a phone and a tablet so not ideal as either but more convenient to carry than a tablet (though it probably looks stupid to hold up that big slab up to your ear).

Of course all these new phones will be benchmarked but benchmarks seem to be the main type of software that shows the power of the new phones. iPhone 5 is on the top of most of those benchmarks currently but beyond opening apps. faster than the previous models, it's not clear what the power gets you.

Unless you play graphics-intensive games.

I just got mine so I guess there's a bit more incentive to get FIFA13 now, which would probably be the most graphics-intensive game that I'd have.

tjung0831
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by tjung0831 »

wco81 wrote:I'd wait for reviews of those new phones first. Not clear the software will make use of all those cores.

Do you play "console-like" games on your phone? Or do you think quad core CPU will make Angry Bird like games better?

The Note 2 is also coming out and that also has quad-core. I guess it's between a phone and a tablet so not ideal as either but more convenient to carry than a tablet (though it probably looks stupid to hold up that big slab up to your ear).

Of course all these new phones will be benchmarked but benchmarks seem to be the main type of software that shows the power of the new phones. iPhone 5 is on the top of most of those benchmarks currently but beyond opening apps. faster than the previous models, it's not clear what the power gets you.

Unless you play graphics-intensive games.

I just got mine so I guess there's a bit more incentive to get FIFA13 now, which would probably be the most graphics-intensive game that I'd have.
Nope I don't really play games but possibly might get Fifa 13 when it does release for Android. The only reason I was thinking about the quad core devices is because I read that quad core will actually help with sustaining battery life on them. I guess another reason in possibly waiting on that new Galaxy nexus phone is that I know I'll get updates right away whereas you have to wait on HTC and Samsung to deliver them.
Tim

"tjungin it"

PS4 - tjung0831
Xbox - NHLTIM

wco81
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by wco81 »

I think more likely, on these flagship devices, the Android manufacturers will pack bigger batteries on them so they'll get good battery life that way, more with brute force than optimization.

Not all quad-cores are equal. The Tegra 3 which is used on a lot of Android devices uses an older ARM architecture and it does disable some cores for power saving.

But ARM has a big.little scheme due next year where they'll have multiple cores but the cores will be uneven in power. They'll have A15 cores which are better than most of what's out there now combined with more power-efficient A7 cores. So it will switch between these cores depending on the type of software you're running.

The S4 Pro in the upcoming LG phone is an A15-class CPU -- Qualcomm calls it Krait.

The A6 in the iPhone 5 is also thought to have an A15-class CPU. But Apple is trying to keep the size, weight and cost down so they only use 2 cores instead of 4. Not to mention use less power.

We'll see if that decision hurts the performance. I don't think it will, not for phones. Though maybe with the bigger screens on the Android phones, maybe people will load up a lot of tabs on the browser, which is something iPhone wouldn't be able to do -- it doesn't support tabs on the Safari when running on the iPhone. That might be the most common kind of use that really pushes the power of the phones.

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

It's really simple right now...wait a month. By that point we will know exactly what's coming out and how badass they will be.

If you have to buy a phone this minute...galaxy s3 hands down. But the new Nexus looks to be pretty sweet but there is a decent chance it may not include LTE if it is the unlocked gsm version like they sell in the google play store right now.

At least wait until the end of this month. I personally wouldn't think about buying anything from htc right now. They just keep rehashing the same stuff and I haven't been a fan of any of the new htc stuff since the Incredible 2.

All this talk about cores and benchmarks and yada yada mean very little in everyday performance. My galaxy nexus from last October still runs just as good as my galaxy s3 even though the s3 is significantly more powerful from a spec point of view. Part of that has to do with stock android which is why pretty much the only phone I'd consider getting in the next few months is the nexus 4 but I'm also not convinced that Lg can make a decent Android phone. They haven't done it yet. Supposedly the Optimus G the Nexus 4 is built off is supposed to be pretty nice but we will see.

I'm also getting to the point where I think I prefer a screen around 4.3-4.5. The galaxy s3 is just a bit too big for me to use easily. The galaxy nexus is pretty much as big as I want to go and all signs point to the nexus 4 being quite a bit bigger.

Really my idea phone right now would be the galaxy nexus 2 by Samsung with the s3 camera and 2gb of ram like the s3 has just for future proofing. I love the design of the nexus and the textured back and I'll miss that with this new nexus 4 and its pseudo glass back.

All that said...I picked up a new iPod touch today. Damn nice screen and design. :)

GB_Simo
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by GB_Simo »

Fellas, this kind of ties in with the thread subject, since I'm trying to update my iPad, and while I don't really want to start a new thread, I figured some folk in here might be able to help.

Whenever I try to open iTunes, it allows me to play music but fails to connect to the store. From the moment the connection attempt starts to the moment I close down iTunes, I'm unable to access the internet at all - this fixes itself the instant I close iTunes. Using advice that came up when I checked on Google and had a look at Apple's forums, I've downloaded the latest update from Apple's site, flashed the PC's DNS, reset the winsock settings and verified that anti-virus and firewalls are not the cause. What else could I be missing and how do I fix whatever it is?
XBox Live and PSN Gamertag: theycallhimsim

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

Stupid question, but have you uninstalled iTunes and re-installed it?

I don't keep my music in iTunes so I'm not sure if it wipes out your library, but I'm pretty sure it won't.

Other than that...weird. No idea what could be going on.

GB_Simo
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by GB_Simo »

Yup, tried repairing the original install, then uninstalling and starting again. No difference at all. I was expecting it to be some sort of anti-virus or firewall conflict but I've ran out of things it could be conflicting with. Thanks for the reply, mate.

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

GB_Simo wrote:Yup, tried repairing the original install, then uninstalling and starting again. No difference at all. I was expecting it to be some sort of anti-virus or firewall conflict but I've ran out of things it could be conflicting with. Thanks for the reply, mate.
Do you have a second computer that you can install iTunes on and see if that one has the same issue? I wonder if it's your actual network (meaning your router/modem) or your actual computer itself.

Another thing you can try is to assign the IP manually instead of using DNS...that way you have a static IP on the PC and you're not relying on the server to do anything for you in that regard.

GB_Simo
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by GB_Simo »

dbdynsty25 wrote:
GB_Simo wrote:Yup, tried repairing the original install, then uninstalling and starting again. No difference at all. I was expecting it to be some sort of anti-virus or firewall conflict but I've ran out of things it could be conflicting with. Thanks for the reply, mate.
Do you have a second computer that you can install iTunes on and see if that one has the same issue? I wonder if it's your actual network (meaning your router/modem) or your actual computer itself.

Another thing you can try is to assign the IP manually instead of using DNS...that way you have a static IP on the PC and you're not relying on the server to do anything for you in that regard.
Manual IP settings haven't fixed it, mate. I don't have another computer that could be used but I can access iTunes through my iPad without any problems and without anything else on the network falling over. Vista is fully updated, I'm not running through a proxy, nothing seems to be making a difference to it.

wco81
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by wco81 »

Are you going from iOS 5 to iOS 6 by any chance?

Because then you can update via wireless, without hooking up to a computer.

If you're on iOS 5, open System Settings, General, Software Update. Have it plugged in while updating.

BTW, if you want to restore from backup, then you can either back up to a computer or to iCloud with iOS 5. Then when you upgrade, it will update the OS and install all the apps. you had.

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

I'll be interesting to see if Apple is skewered for going with a plastic design like Samsung does w/ it's Galaxy phones. Sure, it's the lower cost iPhone, but still...it's plastic. And cheap looking IMO.

Oh, and the Gold 5S is disgusting.

It'll be interesting to try i0S 7 on my Mini and iPod Touch 5g...I mean it's ugly as hell, but so was iOS 6...so hopefully functionality is improved and they didn't just pastel up the icons and interface.

sportdan30
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by sportdan30 »

A7 chip in the 5S. Nice.

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

sportdan30 wrote:A7 chip in the 5S. Nice.
That would be a big boost for the 5S. I am still hoping for a lightly bigger screen say 4.5 though. Have they mentioned anything about the finger print id? Apple used to be very good at guarding their arsenal until show time but recently the pics and rumors flying around are proving too be too accurate for their taste.

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

10spro wrote:
sportdan30 wrote:A7 chip in the 5S. Nice.
That would be a big boost for the 5S. I am still hoping for a lightly bigger screen say 4.5 though. Have they mentioned anything about the finger print id? Apple used to be very good at guarding their arsenal until show time but recently the pics and rumors flying around are proving too be too accurate for their taste.
Nothing yet...but there's a new ring around the home button.

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

And now they have. Touch ID. Built into the home button. As expected.

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

It appears you can just touch the home button to completely unlock your phone. If that means you don't have to swipe either, then I'm on board and I can dig it. But if you still have to press the power button up top and then press the home button to scan your finger, that's terrible.