NHL 13

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

Leadfoot5
Starting 5
Starting 5

Re: NHL 13

Post by Leadfoot5 »

10spro wrote:Sorry about the poor quality as uploading videos from the early release is not allowed. Last night my team couldn't do anything and before you had the puck there would 2-3 guys on top of you. So when that happens don't be shy about dumping the puck in and in the odd case, even score a lucky one... 8)
I'm actually hoping they "patch" that part of the net up. I lost a game due that exact glitch. My goalie had his skate firmly planted against the post and the puck just morphed through the bar and into the goal. REALLY frustrating! Other than that though, the game is pure gold.

Jimmydeicide
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Jimmydeicide »

Terry, Vader whats your AI learning set at? I some times feel thats where the scoring droughts come in you could tone it down a few notches see if that helps but i usually leave it where it is as it adds a little realism.
But if it gets too bad its something to look at. :)

TCrouch
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by TCrouch »

Uh...default? :lol:

After I posted that, I went back and played a game at lunch. I had to play the Islanders, and I knocked home 5 goals. I think that's the key...I had no idea there was a "learning" slider, but whenever I changed up strategies, it worked. I think that's the best type of slider--one you don't adjust, but you freaking learn to deal with it or sink like a rock in the standings!

It's a very cool setting if that's what it is, because it certainly works.

Zeppo
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Zeppo »

Does anyone have tips for face offs? I was awful in the demo and I'm still awful with the full game. I just don't have a clue what I'm missing or where I'm going wrong.

Gangrel
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Gangrel »

Tip one: Turn down the slider a notch or two.

Tip two? Get ready as soon as you see the refs hand move and make your stick flick. Also, there is a bit of rock paper scissors stuff, as some grips tend to overpower others. I saw a post or video a year or two ago, maybe on OS..... when i'm not lazy, I'll see if I can find it. Right now I'm drinking beer and paying some bills online. :P Well, after this of course.
gamertag: Ace EZ

Once a Dragon, a Dragon for life!

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

Zeppo wrote:Does anyone have tips for face offs? I was awful in the demo and I'm still awful with the full game. I just don't have a clue what I'm missing or where I'm going wrong.
I found moving the right stick to the right when addressing the draw and then rotating in a downward semi-circle to the left won the draw with good faceoff centers, such as Jarret Stoll in the demo. Stollie would draw the puck back to the D men with that motion. Good for blasts from the point on power plays.
"You know why I love boxers? I love them because they face fear. And they face it alone." - Nick Charles

"First on the throttle, last on the brakes." - @MotoGP Twitter signature

XBL Gamertag: pk4425

Gangrel
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Gangrel »

http://eanhl.blogspot.ca/2010/09/face-offs.html

youtube link included in the blog. Old, but still relevant.
gamertag: Ace EZ

Once a Dragon, a Dragon for life!

Diablo25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Diablo25 »

Good stuff Sudz. I agree!
XBLive Gamertag - Diablo25
PSN Name - EPDiablo25

vader29
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by vader29 »

Scored what ended up being a game winning goal in a quick Memorial Cup Tournament with Steve MacIntyre in the goal crease, played around a bit with different strategies tonight and this goal came with the play set at crash the net. Ended up with a 5-2 win.

"Two rules man: Stay away from my f***in percocets and do you have any f***in percocets?" ~ Marco Belchier
https://www.ea.com/games/nhl/nhl-20/pro ... rm=xboxone

sportdan30
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by sportdan30 »

A new tuner update came out last night and I saw a couple more penalties playing against the CPU. Good sign.

Last night cemented a purchase for me. I saw several things playing against the CPU that I rarely if ever saw in NHL 12. In '12, the CPU was far too robotic and rarely made any mistakes. Far from it this year.

I now am seeing errant passes in which the puck slides all the way back in to their zone. I've seen the CPU break a stick on a slap shot and the puck only goes 5 or 6 yards. They were called for offsides twice in a game, something that was almost unheard of in '12. When trying to clear to puck, they've made a tactical error and I've been able to intercept the pass in their zone. Icing actually happens against the CPU in '13. I'm not seeing the CPU dump the puck over the boards for no reaon. There have been some really cool animations from the goalies. The one last night was a slap shot by me in which the goalie tried to catch it in the air only for the puck to jump out his glove and then back in.

While the CPU still is pretty strong at passing tape to tape, they will make the errant passes from time to time. They perhaps still shoot a bit too much from just inside the blue line, but the amount of deflections really open for nice rebounds.

I also like that the CPU is more aggressive overall. The CPU goalie won't always cover up the puck for a faceoff. If they can, they will pass it out instead of stopping play. Didn't see that often in '12.

A couple questions. What is the purpose of using the sitck lift?

Also, I went in to free skate and for the life of me couldn't score one on one against the CPU controlled goalie. 30 tries and not one goal. Any tips or suggestions?

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

Yeah, I saw some offsides too from the opposition side something that's rarely called because the CPU passes are too precise, but there they were. I used to do the stick lift in some faceoff situations online when clearly the other guy was an expert and it would tie him down somehow. This year it seems a bit numbed down IMO bu the poke check is doing just fine for me so I don't use it at all. Still no penalties called from the CPU when I played offline though and about 4 on my side playing 8 minutes periods.

Naples39
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Naples39 »

Maybe it's because I'm used to OTP where everyone has a player rated ~60, but I played a few NHL games last night with a new tuner and it felt rocket fast. Is this just me?

I play on superstar, and you have to be careful or else the CPU attackers will just skate right around you on the outside.

I do like how you never quite know what the goalies are going to do---it keeps things interesting.

Also with stickhandling through defensemen being pretty tough (finally), I could see a lot of offense from defense in this game. Keep your wingers outside, slam on the brakes, and the D or trailing attacker is wide open for a dangerous shot.

Also, it aggravates me that I can't select the Flyers winter classic jersey, although it's in the game when you play winter classic mode. Speaking of winter classic, it was eerie playing the 2012 winter classic, as it forces lineups as used on that day. Even more eerie, I took a 2-0 lead with the Flyers (like RL), Jagr left with an injury (like RL), and Rupp changed the momentum with a goal to make it 2-1 (like RL). This time the good guys won 3-2 though!

Regarding breakaways, I can very consistently score with a pump-fake to forehand 5-hole move. This is kind of my personal tricks of the trade and I never see anyone else do this online, but the way I do it is;
1) if you are a lefty shot, skate in a straight line down the slot towards or slightly outside the right hand post. (or vice versa)
2) When you get slightly above the face off hash marks, press the RS to pump fake.
3) Immediately after the pump fake, cut hard across the front of goal to your forehand. You shouldn't stop, but it should be a hard enough turn to make a spray and dig into the ice.
4) The goalie will go down to his knees, but shuffle to track you across the crease. Quickly snap a 5-hole shot while at the top of the crease.

It will take some practice to pull this off consistently and get the timing and angles down, but it is highly effective. Maybe I can make a video of this later.
XBL-Naples39; Steam-scrub47; GameCenter-MasterOnion39;

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

Good stuff Naples, yes do post a video when yo have time. On SO mode, I basically do the backhand, forehand, backhand while trying to stretch the goalie and then pull the trigger up high, About 50-50 success.

Naples39
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Naples39 »

10spro wrote:Good stuff Naples, yes do post a video when yo have time. On SO mode, I basically do the backhand, forehand, backhand while trying to stretch the goalie and then pull the trigger up high, About 50-50 success.
Can you capture and upload videos from the game? Or do I have to use my crappy camera?

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

Naples39 wrote:
10spro wrote:Good stuff Naples, yes do post a video when yo have time. On SO mode, I basically do the backhand, forehand, backhand while trying to stretch the goalie and then pull the trigger up high, About 50-50 success.
Can you capture and upload videos from the game? Or do I have to use my crappy camera?
I couldn't upload my OTP video from the SP release so I took it from the iphone., so it was crappy. Offline is different I think.

tjung0831
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by tjung0831 »

Game was definitely too fast so I had to slow the game speed down which is rare for me. I like up and down the ice action and a good crisp pace but it was like NHL 2000 fast so it had to change. Slowly getting the game to my liking, still have work to do. Here are my current settings on some of the basic settings. I'm getting good games on these settings...competitive games ususally a difference of 1 goal or so.

Pro
Game speed - 1 click
Fatigue - 4 clicks
Fatigue effect - 4 clicks
Fat Recovery - 4 clicks
Player accel - 2 clicks
Cpu accel - 1 click -
AI learning 3 clicks
CPU difficulty 2 clicks
CPU strategy 3 clicks
Penalties - maxed out
CPU penalties maxed out
I have most of my hitting and agression at 4 clicks..I like lots of hitting
Tim

"tjungin it"

PS4 - tjung0831
Xbox - NHLTIM

Danimal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Danimal »

Picked it up at lunch and wasn't paying attention and bought the Stanley Cup Edition. I have no idea what's in that edition. lol
Follow Me on:
YouTube - www.youtube.com/maxpixelation/
Twitch - twitch.tv/maximumpixelation
Twitter - twitter.com/maxpixelation

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

Danimal wrote:Picked it up at lunch and wasn't paying attention and bought the Stanley Cup Edition. I have no idea what's in that edition. lol
Didn't they charge you $20 bucks more for it?

Danimal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Danimal »

Receipt says 59.99 but it's definetly a SC edition I have codes for HUT packs and CCM Boosts.
Follow Me on:
YouTube - www.youtube.com/maxpixelation/
Twitch - twitch.tv/maximumpixelation
Twitter - twitter.com/maxpixelation

TCrouch
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by TCrouch »

They mistakenly gave one to you then...somebody's in trouble lol

I'm going to go demand my $20 back for my SC edition if people are getting it for regular price! :lol:

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

Danimal wrote:Receipt says 59.99 but it's definetly a SC edition I have codes for HUT packs and CCM Boosts.
I'd like to use that code if you're not planning in playing HUT. :D

Naples39
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Naples39 »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wO_gKq5N ... e=youtu.be

Here's how it's done. I like it because it's very simple, no gymnastics with the right stick or shoulder buttons, and it's more consistent anyway.

Worth a shot for you guys who can't score on breakaways.

Diablo25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Diablo25 »

Let's play tonight Ice Dragons!

Thanks for the 5 hole move Naples.
XBLive Gamertag - Diablo25
PSN Name - EPDiablo25

JRod
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by JRod »

Aside from there not being enough penalties. Just moving the penalty slider up didn't have that much of an affect. I upped CPU penalties and CPU teammate penalties.

Had one of those gaming sessions where I wasn't playing a game or the system of EA hockey but it turned into trying to winning at hockey.

Last night I fired up the playoffs mode and started out as Pittsburgh against Philly. I wasn't really expected that much as I was lukewarm to the game on Pro-Hardcore. I dropped it down to Pro and the game opened up.

In the first game I dominated Philly 6-2 with 4 goals coming in the 1 and 2 periods. Malkin had the hat trick and was on fire sending in wristers. I'm thinking too easy?

Game 2: 5-3. In the first two periods we trade two goals. I tie it up at 3 in the 3rd only to concede a late goal and then an empty netter. We are off to Philly.

Game 3, Game 4. Some of the same. they are close games but nothing seems to work. I'm not scoring. I'm not hitting just nothing.

Game 5. 4-3 winning it in over time. It was one of the close games where it stops being about EA Sports and more about closing down angles, hitting someone standing in front of the net, quick and sharp passes. It was one of those game. I go up one, they score one. I get another they get another. I felt they were going to get another late in the 3rd. But late in OT, I send in a rocket to the 5 to the five hole that is more like a sinker in the dirt. Goes though the keeper and we head back to boston.

Game 6. Had the same feel to Game 5 just a really tight game at 2-2 until we get to the 3rd and then everything falls apart. They score two within 2 minutes and then finish the game 6-2.

Nothing felt cheap as I didn't play good defense. What a feeling to a game where you actually lose yourself trying to comeback instead of trying to trick the system. The AI figured out I like to skate to the net, so I would change it up to recycling to the point, to driving behind the net, to shooting from any where on the ice and get a lucky rebound. Awesome time.

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

BTW, if you have a CM going there's an app also that I just stumbled upon in itunes and I guess you can follow up your progress there as well. There's a HUT feature as well.