OT: Xbox Steering Wheel Problems

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

DChaps
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

OT: Xbox Steering Wheel Problems

Post by DChaps »

With summer vacations, work projects, etc. I have not had much time for console gaming. However, recently I fired up the Xbox for some F1 2011 and Forza 4 racing. I use a MS Wireless Force Feedback wheel for my racing, and when I started racing FM4, I immediately noticed a weird feel in the controls (or lack thereof), and inconsistent force feedback. Something was definitely off. I tried F1 2011 and Dirt 3 and found more of the same. I assumed that my MS Wheel was just going bad, even though it had not shown any signs of problems previously. I happened upon a couple threads at the official Forza 4 and Xbox support forums that appear to point to this being a problem for all force feedback wheels across all racing games due to an Xbox Live Interface update that happened on or around June 16, 2012. There is a 31 page thread in the FM4 forums about this, but unfortunately there seems to be little information about what is being done about it. This really sucks since racing games are about all I play, and I am horrible with a regular controller and detest using them in a racing game.

I know there are only a couple wheel users here at DSP, but I was curious if any of you have experienced the same thing?

http://forums.xbox.com/xbox_forums/xbox ... 74854.aspx
Ironwolf50: 06-16-2012 1:42 AM
Consoles that have received the new update have had all Force Feedback support crippled. If you follow the link provided below, you will find 9 or more pages of problem reports and symptom descriptions for Force Feedback Racing wheels ranging from the Microsoft Wireless FFB Racing Wheel, to the Fanatec Official Forza Motorsport CSR wheels (and other models as well), to the Mad Catz Official XBox 360 Wireless FFB Racing Wheel. There are others listed as well. In every case the users wheel was working correctly until the latest update was downloaded. This problem needs to be relayed up your support chain, not brushed off as "the manufacturers problem". For most of the complaints listed, the manufacturer is Microsoft. The link to the problem thread on the Forza Motorsport site is:

http://forums.forzamotorsport.net/forum ... 94946.aspx
Mister Gwyther - Official Support: 06-20-2012 4:43 PM
Hey there guys! Thank you for sticking with us while we sorted this out. I want to let you know that we are aware of an issue here and are working to correct it. In the meantime, I'd like to get some more information from anyone having this issue.

If you are currently having issues with your racing wheel (no force feedback, unable to bind, etc.) after recently updating your console, please PM me directly (envelope icon below) with the following information only. Please send the PM from your main Gamertag so we can contact you if we need to. Thank you!

Title: Wheel controller issues after update - *insert your GT*
1.What is your Console Serial Number?
2.What controller type do you have? (brand, model, color, wired/wireless, any other information)?
3.What is the controller Serial Number and Part Number?
4.Does re-attaching the battery pack fix the issue?
5.Does power cycling the consoles fix the issue?
6.Do you have a headset attached?

Helpful info:

How to find Xbox product serial numbers

For the controller information, this is on the back of the controller located under the battery. Serial Number is a 14 digit number below the barcode, and part number is above in the form of: X######-###

J_Cauthen
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Re: OT: Xbox Steering Wheel Problems

Post by J_Cauthen »

Thanks for this informative posting Don! As you know, I'm up to my ears in steering wheel... well, Clubsport pedal problems right now. I'm still doing surgery with a Dremel tool, trying to get the remains of an allen set screw out of a brake mount. The information you've linked will help me deal with the issues I'll likely face if I can get these blasted pedals repaired and properly adjusted.

WPatrick
Panda Cub
Panda Cub

Post by WPatrick »

That really stinks Don. I had no idea that had happened. I really wish they would let logitech make their wheels.

DChaps
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by DChaps »

WPatrick wrote:That really stinks Don. I had no idea that had happened. I really wish they would let logitech make their wheels.
Apparently it broke the FFB and steering controls for all FFB wheels (Microsoft, Fanatec, Madcatz, Thrustmaster, etc.). There seems to be differing levels of issues depending on the wheel you have, the version/firmware of the wheel, and what game you are playing. I have read some info that seems to say they released a "fix" that has had varying levels of success, but not a definitive solution. Problem is I can find no information about how to get this fix, or how to tell if I even have it. All I know is that my racing games on the Xbox pretty much suck now trying to use a wheel.

TCrouch
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by TCrouch »

I haven't played a racing game on the XBox in a long time, or I'd have something to chime in with. Sorry, Don.

DChaps
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by DChaps »

They appear to have a fix for the FFB wheel problems that were caused by the June XBL Dashboard update. However, it looks like you need to post info in this thread to get individual assistance in fixing the problem from MS tech support. What a mess this thing has been. I can't imagine having spent a few hundred dollars on the new Official Forza Motorsports 4 branded and endorsed Fantaec wheel to have it rendered useless by this update. In some reported cases it actually broke the wheels. Yikes....

http://forums.xbox.com/xbox_forums/xbox ... ageIndex=6
08-01-2012 9:36 PM – Mister Darcy
Greetings, everyone.

I have some good news for you today. At this time we have a fix and I will be working with impacted users individually via private message to provide assistance implementing the resolution. If you are still encountering this issue, please reply once to this thread with the following information so I know exactly who to follow up with:

1. What controller type do you have? (brand, model, color, wired/wireless, any other information)?
2. Does re-attaching the battery pack fix the issue?
3. Does power cycling the console fix the issue?
4. Have you tried Mister Gwyther’s fix here and did it help resolve your issue?:
http://forums.xbox.com/xbox_forums/xbox ... px#1491388

Please reply to this thread with your answers to the questions above within the next 24 hours to make sure you are counted.

This includes those of you who posted previously or elsewhere!

Thank you very much!