DSP Boxing thread. Ding! Ding!

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Re: DSP Boxing thread. Ding! Ding!

Post by pk500 »

P.S.: Did anyone see the special edition of "Friday Night Fights" that aired last night on ESPN before the Mayweather-Cotto main event? Jay-zus, did Demetrius Andrade DETONATE his opponent with that two-punch combination at the bell ending the first round.

One of the most impressive knockouts I've seen this year.
"You know why I love boxers? I love them because they face fear. And they face it alone." - Nick Charles

"First on the throttle, last on the brakes." - @MotoGP Twitter signature

XBL Gamertag: pk4425

Jackdog
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Jackdog »

[img]http://www.ideaspot.net/flags/Big_10/small/mich-sm.gif[/img][img]http://www.ideaspot.net/nfl/NFC_North/small/pack1-sm.gif[/img]

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

Very sad about Tapia. Only 45. This guy's life would make a movie too incredible to believe it's truth.
"You know why I love boxers? I love them because they face fear. And they face it alone." - Nick Charles

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

The bad news just keeps coming today for The Sweet Science: Paul Williams was paralyzed from the waist down in a motorcycle accident.

http://espn.go.com/boxing/story/_/id/79 ... rgia-crash

"The Punisher" is one of my favorite fighters. My thoughts and prayers are with him.

Jackdog
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Jackdog »

What an idiotic question. Manny has earned every penny. I'm sure he's donated a great sum of money to his country.

http://www.mrctv.org/videos/fareed-zaka ... ur-country
[img]http://www.ideaspot.net/flags/Big_10/small/mich-sm.gif[/img][img]http://www.ideaspot.net/nfl/NFC_North/small/pack1-sm.gif[/img]

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

Exactly. What a moron. Manny has donated so much to everyday Filipinos.

Jackdog
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Jackdog »

Just secured 3 tickets for Manny's fight at the MGM Grand Saturday. We're in Vegas from the 7-10th. Dom and Carol are going to be surprised! I'm pretty stoked myself. :D
Last edited by Jackdog on Mon Jun 04, 2012 1:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

Jackdog wrote:Just secured 3 tickets for Manny's fight at the MGM Grand Friday. We're in Vegas from the 7-10th. Dom and Carol are going to be surprised! I'm pretty stoked myself. :D
Holy sh*t! What a thrill! I'm jealous.

But I'll take some consolation. I'll be in Canastota this Friday and Sunday to see your Detroit homeboy Tommy Hearns get inducted into the Boxing Hall of Fame.

Have fun in Vegas! Bradley will upset Manny -- mark it down. :)

Jackdog
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Jackdog »

pk500 wrote:
Jackdog wrote:Just secured 3 tickets for Manny's fight at the MGM Grand Friday. We're in Vegas from the 7-10th. Dom and Carol are going to be surprised! I'm pretty stoked myself. :D
Holy sh*t! What a thrill! I'm jealous.

But I'll take some consolation. I'll be in Canastota this Friday and Sunday to see your Detroit homeboy Tommy Hearns get inducted into the Boxing Hall of Fame.

Have fun in Vegas! Bradley will upset Manny -- mark it down. :)
Tommy is the man! I think your right PK. I'll bet 100 on it. Why not right? :D

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

Bradley is a tough son of a b*tch. He's in unreal shape, and I disagree with Freddie Roach that Bradley's muscle will make him slower. He's ripped, but not bulky like Berto.

Desert Storm also can fight inside and dirty, billy-goating with his head, if needed. Who's the last guy who tried to fight Manny inside and dirty? You need to reach pretty far back. Maybe Morales?

I also question the effect of the turmoil between Freddie and that glory-seeking d*uchebag Alex Ariza in Manny's camp. Freddie is making a VERY wise choice keeping Ariza out of Manny's corner this Saturday night, but I still think the discord must have dented training a bit. Plus I wonder how Manny's mindset and killer instinct will be changed by his newfound devotion to God.

On paper, this looks to be a much more interesting fight than Mayweather-Cotto. But that matchup proved to be more intriguing in the ring than on paper. Let's hope the opposite doesn't happen here! But I think Bradley is game as hell.

I like Bradley, too. He is charismatic and confident without being a brash dick. Appreciate his devotion to his family and his hometown, too.

Jackdog
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Jackdog »

pk500 wrote:Bradley is a tough son of a b*tch. He's in unreal shape, and I disagree with Freddie Roach that Bradley's muscle will make him slower. He's ripped, but not bulky like Berto.

Desert Storm also can fight inside and dirty, billy-goating with his head, if needed. Who's the last guy who tried to fight Manny inside and dirty? You need to reach pretty far back. Maybe Morales?

I also question the effect of the turmoil between Freddie and that glory-seeking d*uchebag Alex Ariza in Manny's camp. Freddie is making a VERY wise choice keeping Ariza out of Manny's corner this Saturday night, but I still think the discord must have dented training a bit. Plus I wonder how Manny's mindset and killer instinct will be changed by his newfound devotion to God.

On paper, this looks to be a much more interesting fight than Mayweather-Cotto. But that matchup proved to be more intriguing in the ring than on paper. Let's hope the opposite doesn't happen here! But I think Bradley is game as hell.

I like Bradley, too. He is charismatic and confident without being a brash dick. Appreciate his devotion to his family and his hometown, too.
Loved the 24/7 series for this fight. I like Bradley as well. His relationship with his father is very cool. Hard not not to root for him.

Ariza is an arrogant prick.Leaves in the middle of camp to train another fighter? I side with Freddie on this one.

On a side note,we are going to watch Pavlik at the Hard Rock on Friday night as well. Friday Night Fights and Manny/Bradley on Saturday,really shaping up to be a great start to what should be a fantastic family vacation.

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

Jackdog wrote:On a side note,we are going to watch Pavlik at the Hard Rock on Friday night as well. Friday Night Fights and Manny/Bradley on Saturday,really shaping up to be a great start to what should be a fantastic family vacation.
Cool! I'll look for you guys in the crowd Friday night on ESPN2!

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

I watched 24/7 Bradley-Pacman last night. There surely seems like a lot of distractions on Pacquaio's camp lately. Bradley looks hungry and ready to go but I think it will be a quick fight.

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

One of the worst decisions I've ever seen. My mouth is still agape. Bradley won one or two rounds, tops.

I'm trying to think of the reason for a fix, and I can't. Why would Arum want Pacquiao to lose? Because he wants to turn Bradley into a star and a Pacquiao-Bradley series into a trilogy? This fight REDUCES Pacquiao's bargaining power with Mayweather, so why would Arum want that?

Boxing is my favorite sport. And its oddities are part of its appeal for me.

But good Lord, I can't think of another sport that is this f*cked up.

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

Boxing took another step backwards tonight for sure. I am still shocked.

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

10spro wrote:Boxing took another step backwards tonight for sure. I am still shocked.
There are bad decisions and calls in every sport that can sway the contest, and boxing has faced dubious decisions for more than a century. This is nothing new.

But this was a bad one. Really bad.

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

pk500 wrote:One of the worst decisions I've ever seen. My mouth is still agape. Bradley won one or two rounds, tops.

I'm trying to think of the reason for a fix, and I can't. Why would Arum want Pacquiao to lose? Because he wants to turn Bradley into a star and a Pacquiao-Bradley series into a trilogy? This fight REDUCES Pacquiao's bargaining power with Mayweather, so why would Arum want that?
I can't remember Mayweather's sentencing in jail. Six more months to a year max? Arum's corrupted way to make his millions for a rematch before Floyd gets out of jail? What about Marquez?

Just shocking...

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

The consistency of the judging was stunning. Usually controversial split decisions have a wide range of scores.

miget33
Utility Infielder
Utility Infielder

Post by miget33 »

"I'm going to make a lot of money on the rematch-Arum
Just saw that on an AP story on the fight
[url=http://twitter.com/CPatt20]Twitter[/url]

[url=http://mexinjtown.blogspot.com/]My Blog[/url]

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

10spro wrote:
pk500 wrote:One of the worst decisions I've ever seen. My mouth is still agape. Bradley won one or two rounds, tops.

I can't remember Mayweather's sentencing in jail. Six more months to a year max? Arum's corrupted way to make his millions for a rematch before Floyd gets out of jail? What about Marquez?

Just shocking...
Three months. Floyd is out at the end of August.

I'm trying to think of reasons for an Arum fix. This rematch won't generate tremendous financial return because this decision was so repugnant that I can't imagine the second fight will have huge public appeal. I think there will be a small uptick in business for the rematch -- that's it.

Plus Pacquiao's bargaining power for a Mayweather fight just eroded tremendously tonight, even after Manny knocks out Bradley within five rounds Nov. 10, which WILL happen. The Money Team can look at Pacquiao and say: "Dude, you just lost in June to a nobody. I've never lost. You have ZERO right to demand a 50-50 split."

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

miget33 wrote:
"I'm going to make a lot of money on the rematch-Arum
Just saw that on an AP story on the fight
Arum's full quote, according to respected boxing writer Lance Pugmire of the LA Times:

"I'm going to make a lot of money from the rematch, but who's going to take this sport seriously," Arum said.

Is there a bowl of water and a towel nearby? Pontius Pilate just washed his hands.

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

Don't blame Tim Bradley for tonight's HORRIFIC decision. He's a VERY good dude and an honest fighter who gave his best.

If you're looking for villains, blame the judges, Nevada Athletic Commissioner Keith Kizer and Bob Arum. They all have indelible fingerprints in this corruption.

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

pk500 wrote:Don't blame Tim Bradley for tonight's HORRIFIC decision. He's a VERY good dude and an honest fighter who gave his best.
I don't and he proved that he could hang with the big boys although he definitely doesn't have enough to take down a world class caliber boxer and pound for pound legend like Pacquiao.

Manny is actually one of the very reasons I still watch boxing. But what happened tonight may just as well have taken my interest for good. Until Mayweather-Pacman becomes a reality.

What happened tonight was criminal.

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

Screw it: I'm heading to Canastota tomorrow to see what's good about boxing, the Hall of Fame Induction Ceremonies. And then I'm going to appreciate the purity and noble bravery of the sport by watching Ward-Gatti I, Corrales-Castillo I and any of the first three Vazquez-Marquez fights sometime very soon.

fsquid
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by fsquid »

Glad I put that cash on Bradley. 100 became 350 last night. Thanks Jackdog!