Hockey Night in DSP-Season 2011-12

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

toonarmy
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Re: Hockey Night in DSP-Season 2011-12

Post by toonarmy »

10spro wrote:I was Ok with Shanny's decision to suspend B. Bitz for his boarding infraction on Clifford last night but he dropped the ball by just suspending Weber with a fine for ramming 's head against the glass WWE style in the NAS-DET series. He deserved at least a game for that action.
He deserved more than a game if Bitz got two games. The NHL gives us all this lip service about protecting the head, yet it's apparently okay for a strong athlete to take a guy's head and slam it into the glass completely unnecessarily at the end of the game. I guess since Weber is a star it goes unpunished. I also wonder if Shanny was reluctant to suspend a Predator since it may look like he's playing favorites with his old team if he takes out the other team's best player. Whatever the case it was a horrid decision to not suspend Weber and sends a bad message. What will happen if other players in other games decide to do the same thing since they won't get suspended?

Lancer
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Lancer »

it's finally nice to be able to watch every NHL game in the first round on basic tv.

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

Not even after a game is over, a player feels safe. As the Bruins were celebrating their OT win, fans were pounding so hard on the glassware that a big chunk of it fell on Krejci's head. Scary stuff.

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

toonarmy wrote:
10spro wrote:I was Ok with Shanny's decision to suspend B. Bitz for his boarding infraction on Clifford last night but he dropped the ball by just suspending Weber with a fine for ramming 's head against the glass WWE style in the NAS-DET series. He deserved at least a game for that action.
He deserved more than a game if Bitz got two games. The NHL gives us all this lip service about protecting the head, yet it's apparently okay for a strong athlete to take a guy's head and slam it into the glass completely unnecessarily at the end of the game. I guess since Weber is a star it goes unpunished. I also wonder if Shanny was reluctant to suspend a Predator since it may look like he's playing favorites with his old team if he takes out the other team's best player. Whatever the case it was a horrid decision to not suspend Weber and sends a bad message. What will happen if other players in other games decide to do the same thing since they won't get suspended?
Shanny's lame justification was that Zetterberg was not injured on the play. Really? He should know better that concussion symptoms can manifest themselves several days after the trauma. With the way the league approaches the game, I often wonder why it is so vitally important about controlling player discipline that makes it more valuable than having the decisions above and beyond reproach?

Whatever answer they may come up with, it'll be a shortsighted one, and with the ongoing uneven performance of the zebras, this league is way short in the integrity department and condemned to its lesser status among NA sports.

XXXIV
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by XXXIV »

10spro wrote:
Whatever answer they may come up with, it'll be a shortsighted one, and with the ongoing uneven performance of the zebras, this league is way short in the integrity department and condemned to its lesser status among NA sports.
This will never change while Betman is around.

XXXIV
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by XXXIV »

Hawks lost 3-2 in OT but at least Toews was back in the line up, played over 24 minutes and contributed a goal and an assist.

No Habs so its Go Hawks!!!

MizzouRah
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by MizzouRah »

10spro wrote:Tight game in St Louis as the home team has a slight edge over the Sharks. One thing they can't afford is to lose another goalie as B. Elliot is on the sidelines with an upper body injury. Halak seems fine now after the time out.
I don't believe for one second Elliott is hurt. Kind of a way out instead of making a decision on who to start in goal in Game 1. Hitch even said before the game Elliott was 100%, so I smell BS.

Leebo33
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Leebo33 »

Diablo25 wrote:
toonarmy wrote:Image

Philly's goal shouldn't have counted. A bit offside it looks like, lol. Pretty obvious call blown.
Pens 3rd goal shouldn't counted either. Should've been icing. A wash.
Not that it matters now because it's not the reason the Pens lost, but they did a pretty good job on the Pens broadcast of showing and explaining why it wasn't icing. The linesman has discretion to waive off the icing and it was pretty apparent from the replay that the Penguin's player was impeded from playing the puck by a Flyer. The linesman immeditately and repeatedly waived off the icing so it's not like there was any doubt in his mind and all the players should have known that icing was not being called on that play.

It's tough not want to jump off a bridge after any loss to the Flyers, but the Pens and fans have to keep reminding themselves that it is a 7 game series and hopefully they will respond tonight. The game 1 winner of the Penguins past 4 playoff series have lost the series. A couple years ago the Penguins lost game 1 at home and then gave up a goal 18 seconds in to game 2. During the last cup run they were down 2-0 and were an overtime goal away from being down 3-0 to the Caps. And who can forget the Flyers turning the tables after losing the first two at home in 99-00. So there is hope! But the Flyers do seem to be in the Pens heads this year for some reason.

Naples39
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Naples39 »

This Flyers-Pens series is completely insane. Neither team seems to be able to hold their defensive focus, and anything can and will happen at any time in these games.
XBL-Naples39; Steam-scrub47; GameCenter-MasterOnion39;

HipE
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by HipE »

It has been great to watch. It sucks that the Pens blow leads over and over, but it isn't like Philly isn't earning it. At this point I feel like Philly is the better team, but even if they go up 2-0 I'm still enjoying every minute of it. Fast, hard hitting and lots of scoring, everything the Boston/Washington game wasn't last night.

HipE
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by HipE »

The Flyers own Pittsburgh. The last few seconds of the second period pretty much sum the series up, the Pens are standing around watching the clock while Philly is scoring to tie the game. With Richards gone and Pronger out it isn't even a team I can hate, they play hard and are fun to watch. It wouldn't shock me to see Pittsburgh come back and win the next two, but I also wouldn't be surprised to see Philly sweep. The way they are playing now they would deserve it.

I actually think the Penguins were better when everyone was hurt, they sure as hell played a lot harder and didn't give up many goals.

Lancer
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Lancer »

I think the Flyers let Sid score that first one on purpose so they could be down and pull it out in the 3rd. Game 3 follow the same game plan. Give Pitt 2-3 goal lead after 1 and win in the 3rd.

Diablo25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Diablo25 »

Awesome win by the Flyers. I love this Flyers team. Hartnell and Simmonds haven't even made their presence felt...yet...and they are winning. Talbot was also on a rampage against his old team. I love it that Jagr got the go ahead goal. I'm juiced.
XBLive Gamertag - Diablo25
PSN Name - EPDiablo25

RallyMonkey
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by RallyMonkey »

HipE wrote:It has been great to watch. It sucks that the Pens blow leads over and over, but it isn't like Philly isn't earning it. At this point I feel like Philly is the better team, but even if they go up 2-0 I'm still enjoying every minute of it. Fast, hard hitting and lots of scoring, everything the Boston/Washington game wasn't last night.
I suppose you also hate the 1-0 pitchers duel as well because it's "boring"? :wink:

You can like an 8-5 game all you want, but that was one of the sloppiest hockey games on the defensive side of the puck I've ever seen. But it certainly makes for some good Sportscenter.

toonarmy
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by toonarmy »

Last night's Phi/Pit game was simply awesome to watch. That's the kind of game you hope non-hockey fans were watching if you want to grow the game's fan base.

I was delighted once again to see the Kings come through and beat Vancouver. It seems like the refs are not biting as much on Vancouver's theatrics as much as they did last year at times. Hopefully the Kings can take care of business because Vancouver is very capable of still winning the series.

HipE
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by HipE »

RallyMonkey wrote:I suppose you also hate the 1-0 pitchers duel as well because it's "boring"? :wink:

You can like an 8-5 game all you want, but that was one of the sloppiest hockey games on the defensive side of the puck I've ever seen. But it certainly makes for some good Sportscenter.
It doesn't matter if it is 1-0 or 8-5, if it is a baseball game I'm most likely going to think it is boring. :)

I only watched the third period of that Boston game, maybe the first two periods were more exciting. The period I watched though just felt slow and I don't remember there being more than one or two good scoring chances the entire period. I don't automatically equate low scoring hockey with being boring, I thought the Bruins 1-0 win over TB last year in the conference finals was one of the most exciting games of the year.

What I liked about the Penguins-Flyers game last night was the intensity level and offensive skill on display, not the high goal totals. The Philly power play is unreal right now, watching them move the puck is a thing of beauty. Yes, there were many defensive breakdowns by the Pens, they've somehow completely forgotten how to play defense in the last three weeks (or have just stopped trying). What was great about the game though was that those two teams were trying to kill each other last night, there was as much hitting in that game as any I've seen all year. I still feel the Penguins can come back and win the series, they definitely have the talent to do it. If they can win the game in Philly tomorrow they are right back in it.

Props to the Flyers though for their effort in games 1 and 2, they definitely deserve to be up 2-0. If they can ever manage to play the first ten minutes like they play the last 50 then the rest of the NHL is in serious trouble this year. That being said, they still need to win two more games vs the Penguins, which is something I still have hope won't happen.

MizzouRah
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by MizzouRah »

10spro.. what is going on in Vancouver?

Blues need to even this series tonight.

Lancer
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Lancer »

Phil/Pitt is why the NHL playoffs are the best playoffs in sports. The intensity of Game 1 or Game 2 alone is better than most Game 7's in other sports. The NHL Season really doesn't matter, as you can see with LA/VAN, but that's why it makes the playoffs awesome, anything can really happen as long as you want it more. And there's no B.S. reffing like in other sports.

After last nights game, I thought Pitt could win the next 2. Now I changed my mind, it's probably gonna be a sweep.

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

MizzouRah wrote:10spro.. what is going on in Vancouver?

Mizzou, I missed the game last night as I am currently in Beijing on business. Chatting quickly with my buddy, he was telling me that obviously the Kings are winning the special teams battle. Not only they are having problems executing with the man advantage, but on top of that to let 2 short handed goals? Talk about early Xmas. Five on five they seem fine, in fact he was telling me that they dominated that aspect of the game putting a lot of pressure on Quick, who apparently is stealing the show.

They deserved to win the 1st game, obviously they did enough to be up 2-0 in the series in game 2, but as I was answering an earlier question from Lancer, I don't have the same expectations this year on VAN as I did last season. It's strange because I think they are tougher than last year, they finish on top of the league yet they never gave me that sensation that they were the best team this year.

I think if D. Sedin comes back, it changes the team structure completely and should add more punch to a hopeless PP. I think they can be back on track if they steal one out of LA, but for now everyone needs to just stay the course and play better special teams.

MizzouRah
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by MizzouRah »

10spro wrote:
MizzouRah wrote:10spro.. what is going on in Vancouver?

Mizzou, I missed the game last night as I am currently in Beijing on business. Chatting quickly with my buddy, he was telling me that obviously the Kings are winning the special teams battle. Not only they are having problems executing with the man advantage, but on top of that to let 2 short handed goals? Talk about early Xmas. Five on five they seem fine, in fact he was telling me that they dominated that aspect of the game putting a lot of pressure on Quick, who apparently is stealing the show.

They deserved to win the 1st game, obviously they did enough to be up 2-0 in the series in game 2, but as I was answering an earlier question from Lancer, I don't have the same expectations this year on VAN as I did last season. It's strange because I think they are tougher than last year, they finish on top of the league yet they never gave me that sensation that they were the best team this year.

I think if D. Sedin comes back, it changes the team structure completely and should add more punch to a hopeless PP. I think they can be back on track if they steal one out of LA, but for now everyone needs to just stay the course and play better special teams.
I didn't see much of it, but Quick was the one goalie who scared me coming into the playoffs.

Jimmydeicide
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Jimmydeicide »

An early xmas present i'd like from Vancouver is to stop the diving... bunch of pansies. Any riots last night?
Quick has been ok. Hes got more just like the rest of the team.

MizzouRah
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by MizzouRah »

GO BLUES!!!

Diablo25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Diablo25 »

Pens/Flyers game 3 in about a half an hour. Hope it's another good one...with a Flyers win!
PSN Name - EPDiablo25

Naples39
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Naples39 »

It's go time. It will be interesting to see a few questions today;

-are the pens beaten, or will a road game calm them down?
-the flyers are terrible in day games, even worse in the first period then usual. Can they really come back from a multiple goal deficit AGAIN?
XBL-Naples39; Steam-scrub47; GameCenter-MasterOnion39;

Diablo25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Diablo25 »

I forgot what a gutless f*** Asham was. He better get suspended.
PSN Name - EPDiablo25