MLB 2k12

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

MizzouRah
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Re: MLB 2k12

Post by MizzouRah »

Gurantsu wrote:Thats why I hold off on messing with sliders for as long as possible. So many things can happen in a baseball game you really need to wait for a trend to develop before changing things.
Exactly.. and sometimes you make trade offs when you mess with something. As slow as Berkman gets down the line, I thought maybe base running speed needed another notch up, but just the one click seems to make the best overall difference.

MizzouRah
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by MizzouRah »

MF!!! Now Wainwright goes down in the 1st inning...

One question, do players get fatigued? In the show you have a fatigue bar for each player, so you know when to rest them, I know MLB 2k12 has symbols, but I don't see them after just 2 days of rest for a SP?

Aristo
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Aristo »

Yes, fatigue is a big part of franchise. Go to Manage->Team Health, and you will get a run down. I look at it before each game.
XBL Gamertag: JayhawkerStL

MizzouRah
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by MizzouRah »

Aristo wrote:Yes, fatigue is a big part of franchise. Go to Manage->Team Health, and you will get a run down. I look at it before each game.
Thanks, will definitely check that out!

MizzouRah
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by MizzouRah »

Aristo wrote:Yes, fatigue is a big part of franchise. Go to Manage->Team Health, and you will get a run down. I look at it before each game.
Yes, exactly what I was looking for, thank you. I also just figured out you can click the R2 in game and see your pitchers energy/stamina.

Reds ace, Matt Latos pitched a 2 hit complete game against me. Wainwright was hurt in the 1st inning, so I brought in newly signed SP Rich Harden who matched Latos, only allowing 3 hits and striking out 8 in 7 innings - his pitches had a ton of movement on them. We lost 1-0 on an error by 2B Tyler Greene, who's throw meter is smaller than say, Descalso. They would score on a gapper as the runner would go from 1B all the way home - which surprised me and when I realized he was sent home, it was too late. Love the aggressiveness by the CPU.

The game actually looks pretty decent on a bright, sunny day.

Finally, a day off and then opening day in St. Louis as the Cubbies come to town!

MizzouRah
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by MizzouRah »

Lost 2-0, Garcia pitched a gem though.. we hit the ball well, just right at the fielders and one catch in the OF that the RF jumped to catch the ball and snow coned it for the out and eventually, DP.

I raised base running speed one more notch to 50.

Still losing way to much sleep thanks to this game. :)

MizzouRah
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by MizzouRah »

I'm at 3-6 after one hell of a game by Oswalt, great pickup for us! After 9 games in my franchise, I'd have to say this game is great.

I've made a couple of tweaks from AS default - base running speed up to 50 for both human and CPU and lower CPU IF and OF throwing speed to 50. For analog hitting, I use batter2 with 8 zoom. I only struck out 1 time last game vs Wells and a couple of soft throwing bullpen guys.

Franchise mode is really well done thus far, everything looks realistic at this early point of the season.

Aristo
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Aristo »

MizzouRah wrote:I'm at 3-6 after one hell of a game by Oswalt, great pickup for us! After 9 games in my franchise, I'd have to say this game is great.

I've made a couple of tweaks from AS default - base running speed up to 50 for both human and CPU and lower CPU IF and OF throwing speed to 50. For analog hitting, I use batter2 with 8 zoom. I only struck out 1 time last game vs Wells and a couple of soft throwing bullpen guys.

Franchise mode is really well done thus far, everything looks realistic at this early point of the season.
Agreed! I'm finally winning, having won six of my last eight. The Cards are now 8-13. Just when I thought I might have to boost the CPU's hitting, after some gems by Lohse and Westbrook, Wainright gave up 8 runs over five innings to the Brewers. I should have had him out after 4 innings and six runs. I had just beaten them 4-2 in the previous game.

Franchise is so well done, I might not spend much time with MLB Today at all. We'll see once the season starts. But I might wait until after the trade deadline to take over the cards with an MLB Today Season mode.

icvu42
Starting 5
Starting 5

Post by icvu42 »

Well I picked up this up last nite. This game is a lot of fun! The last 2K game I Played was 2k9. I got frustrated with that because it seemed if you weren't 100% accurate with total control pitching, you got hit hard. Seemes like I gave up 10-12 runs each game. It seems much more improved. I was getting destroyed for my mistakes, except when I was really bad ( for ex. I threw a curveball with very little power and that one was crushed).

I am using classic hitting. I have been able to get singles and doubles, but no HRs yet. (I amusing MKHarsh's sliders from OS and the game seems to play pretty well).

To pick up on something Mizzourah said, you definitely feel to have a lot of control over the players in this game. Pitching is so much fun. You also have to know how much power to use when fielding. I gave max power on a short throw from 2B to 1B and it resulted in an error. I also like hat the CPU will throw a low of balls. I was able to walk several times, and probably could have walked more if I had any patience at the plate.

The atmosphere is very well done. I played a few innings of a AAA game. I liked the fact that there were no announcers.

baserunning I need to get use too. I have played The Show on the PSP the past few years and this baserunning is altogether different.

My only gripe of the game so far is lack of a decent manual. I understand the need not to kill trees, but can't anyone provide a quality in-game or online manual these days?

So with that a couple of questions:

1- How do you steal? I can get a lead, but I can't figure out how to try and steal.
2- What is the difference between MLB Today and MLB Today season mode?

All said, I was hesitant to pick this game up, but am very glad that I did.

Rick

TheGamer
Starting 5
Starting 5

Post by TheGamer »

You guys have me jonesing for this game. I switched over to the show, and I'm loving it, but I've always been a 2k fan and seriously considering picking this one up based on you all's impressions.
XBL gamertag:SecondACR Vet
PSN: BHoward1
http://community.2ksports.com/community ... id=1010465
http://twitter.com/ BradHowardSr

Aristo
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Aristo »

icvu42 wrote:So with that a couple of questions:

1- How do you steal? I can get a lead, but I can't figure out how to try and steal.
1) You steal by holding the trigger down until you feel it vibrate. Then, when you release, the runner will take off. The vibration is just to let you know he is primed. If the pitcher throws to first, just keep the trigger held and the runner will get back. If you let go, he is taking off for second.

I love the baserunning mechanics. When you look at the diamond graphic that represents where your runners are, you can see which runner is highlighted. you click the triggers to set what base he runs to. So with a man on first and a hit to the OF that you want to go to third on, the runner will be represented with a 2, click the LT once and it will go to 3. If you change your mind, before or after getting to second, just cklick the RT once to set it to 2.

Since you are using classic hitting, the B button highlights the next runner. If you are using analog hitting it is the A button. If you want everyone to move up or back, use the RB or LB. You execute a double steal just like I mentioned above, but use the LB instead of LT.

My advice is to mess around with it for awhile. At some point it just clicks, and it is now super intuitive to me. I've never played a game that controlled multiple runner so well.

2) MLB Today Season mode is new this year. MLB Today is merely a Play Now type mode, but it presents would with a the slate of games to be played in real life that day, with proper starting pitchers, and reasonably accurate lineups. That means if a guy is injured, he is not there. It also contains all statistical information for the season to that point. So you get references to last nights win, or a player striking out three times the night before. You get graphical overlays with current stats, league leaders, standings and other information. So it is a Play Now that takes advantage of the franchise mode's deep commentary.

But when you play the next day, it's like you never played. The game will reference the real life stats. MLB Today Season Mode is an attempt to make your play count. In this mode, if you play a game, then THAT becomes the statistical record. So the next day, the stats from YOUR game are referenced. If you won, but the team lost in real ife, the standings will reflect what you did. It will deviate from real life.

I love the idea of it, but I can already see problems. If you managed to be in first place come July, but the team you are playing i treading water, they may trade a key player, and it will screw up your playoff run. I see this as being more interesting later in the season, rather than trying to crank it out from day one. But it could also be a great season long mode it player moves make sense.

I'm glad you are enjoying the game.

I'm 23 games into my season, and it is a total blast, even though I am 8-15. Yep, after bragging about finally winning I lost a game to the Brewers 6-3 when Sanchez game up two HR's and 4 runs in the 8th to blow the game for me. I was all set to hand off my 3-2 lead to Motte in the ninth. And then I blew a 3-1 lead, letting the Pirates tie, and then win 4-3 in the 13th.

**edit** I changed "not" to "now" in the bolded paragraph, as I meant to ay that the baserunning controls are NOW intuitive. Saying they are not intuitive is the opposite of what I meant, and was a bad typo.
Last edited by Aristo on Wed Mar 28, 2012 11:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

icvu42
Starting 5
Starting 5

Post by icvu42 »

Aristo wrote:
icvu42 wrote:So with that a couple of questions:

1) You steal by holding the trigger down until you feel it vibrate. Then, when you release, the runner will take off. The vibration is just to let you know he is primed. If the pitcher throws to first, just keep the trigger held and the runner will get back. If you let go, he is taking off for second.

I love the baserunning mechanics. When you look at the diamond graphic that represents where your runners are, you can see which runner is highlighted. you click the triggers to set what base he runs to. So with a man on first and a hit to the OF that you want to go to third on, the runner will be represented with a 2, click the LT once and it will go to 3. If you change your mind, before or after getting to second, just cklick the RT once to set it to 2.

Since you are using classic hitting, the B button highlights the next runner. If you are using analog hitting it is the A button. If you want everyone to move up or back, use the RB or LB. You execute a double steal just like I mentioned above, but use the LB instead of LT.

My advice is to mess around with it for awhile. At some point it just clicks, and it is not super intuitive to me. I've never played a game that controlled multiple runner so well.

2) MLB Today Season mode is new this year. MLB Today is merely a Play Now type mode, but it presents would with a the slate of games to be played in real life that day, with proper starting pitchers, and reasonably accurate lineups. That means if a guy is injured, he is not there. It also contains all statistical information for the season to that point. So you get references to last nights win, or a player striking out three times the night before. You get graphical overlays with current stats, league leaders, standings and other information. So it is a Play Now that takes advantage of the franchise mode's deep commentary.

But when you play the next day, it's like you never played. The game will reference the real life stats. MLB Today Season Mode is an attempt to make your play count. In this mode, if you play a game, then THAT becomes the statistical record. So the next day, the stats from YOUR game are referenced. If you won, but the team lost in real ife, the standings will reflect what you did. It will deviate from real life.

I love the idea of it, but I can already see problems. If you managed to be in first place come July, but the team you are playing i treading water, they may trade a key player, and it will screw up your playoff run. I see this as being more interesting later in the season, rather than trying to crank it out from day one. But it could also be a great season long mode it player moves make sense.

I'm glad you are enjoying the game.

I'm 23 games into my season, and it is a total blast, even though I am 8-15. Yep, after bragging about finally winning I lost a game to the Brewers 6-3 when Sanchez game up two HR's and 4 runs in the 8th to blow the game for me. I was all set to hand off my 3-2 lead to Motte in the ninth. And then I blew a 3-1 lead, letting the Pirates tie, and then win 4-3 in the 13th.
Thanks. That is really helpful!

Also, I love a sports game that has in game saves! I had read somewhere that if you save in-game, when you resume the game the pitcher's energy is back at full strength. I tried this last night with an exhibition case and it was not the case. My pitcher's energy was in the mid-70's, where I had saved after 3 innings. Anyone else have any info on this?

Rick

Aristo
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Aristo »

icvu42 wrote:Thanks. That is really helpful!

Also, I love a sports game that has in game saves! I had read somewhere that if you save in-game, when you resume the game the pitcher's energy is back at full strength. I tried this last night with an exhibition case and it was not the case. My pitcher's energy was in the mid-70's, where I had saved after 3 innings. Anyone else have any info on this?
No problem!

I had read that, too. But the problem was that if you returned, he didn't go to 100, but that his present energy would not drop. But I resumed a game yesterday that worked just fine. it was definitely a bug from last year.

If you want to see something really cool, in any of the roster screens, but not during a game, press down on the the LS to bring up player info. You can hit RT a few times to scroll different rating screens, stats, and some other salary and profile stuff. there will be a screen that asks you to hit A for a players tendency info (I can't remember exactly what it is called). You will see tons of cool information about players strengths and weaknesses. Guys who will jump on curveballs with two strikes, how agressive they are in different counts, and lot of cool info.

I have to wonder if this info can be edited n the PC version. But regardless, it is cool to look at and scout you opponents. But if you do the same thing in the boxscore during a game, that screen is not available.

MizzouRah
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by MizzouRah »

I agree, baserunning is excellent. I always click the LT to send someone to home, then hit A to give the next runner instructions.

Fielding is something you just need to get the feel for, many times the CPU takes control of them, and even makes the play. I was taking control of them too early. I also love the fact if I have a fielder select, but another fielder is closer, they will stride over and make the play.

Variation has been great thus far and I love the fact you can usually tell if a pitcher has his "stuff" early on in the game. Cubs signed Hiedeki Matsui and he came up to pinch hit last night to batter a LHP I just brought in. Their SS Castro was getting to everything, but made a costly error late in the game, it's just great to see all the randomness in this game.

Playing the Brewers is tough as well as the Reds with all that hitting - one wrong gesture and the ball is toast.

I have to play at LEAST one game a night.

Aristo
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Aristo »

The deeper I get into the season the more I am really loving pitcher fatigue. It was never tuned this well last year. I always thought it was odd that relievers has 40-50 pitches before they would get tired when they never went that long. Well, this year, I get it.

After throwing a guy 20+ pitches, he's going to have fewer in the next outing. I went through a stretch where I was blowing through reliever lik mad. Suddenly I go into a game with only my lefties and closer with enough innings to pitch long at all. Lance Lynn was 5-10, McLellen was 0-5, and so on. The first number is how many pitches it takes for serious fatigue to set in. the second is when serious risk of injury sets in.

I got long, even over the number, but it just wipes them out for the next day or two. So I am seriously managing my pitchers, going into games knowing that two of them are not available. So when Westbrook is sitting on 80+ pitches in the fifth, I am scrambling.

Pitching is so much deeper than it has been. I don't really run into issues of pitches being over used because it is not only easy to manage, it encourages you to think like a pitcher that much more. When throwing to Garrett Jones, the slider is his big weakness. But you can't just throw sliders, so you "show" him pitches, trying to get him to chase your fastball out of the zone, which allows you to throw the slider less, but more effectively.

Ryan Braun did make me pay for "showing a fastball up high out of the zone. He still deposited in the CF grass.

It's just very compelling to manage pitch counts and pitch types while also trying to mange your bullpen, realizing you don't have a day off for five days. I've never appreciated days off so much!

I have not really run numbers, but it does seem like Berkman fatigues more than Holliday and such. So I will get him out of the game early, and that saves some energy. I wish the NHL games could pull this off, at least for goalies.

I do wish a guy could still get ome energy back if he pinch hits. He won't lose any energy, but you really need to keep a guy out to get any energy back. If I coud get a portion back, it would seem more fair.

I'm also really starting to appreciate the hot and cold ratings. Basically, David Freese is ice cold for me. Into May he is still hitting .160. I have him benched right now and giving at-bats to Matt Carpenter. But because he is cold, it's not like I have a strong rated Freese coming off the bench. I have a struggling Freese, whose ratings are lower. but it's not drastic, and easily overcome. I have guys with worse ratings hitting better. Like Carpenter, for one!

The more I play this game, the more I am really appreciating what they have done. If this is 2K's last year, I hope EA is taking notes, because there are some awesome features to this game.

MizzouRah
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by MizzouRah »

Agreed.. and I'm glad I traded Westbrook. :)

I try to throw a first pitch strike, just like most pitchers try to do, even if Molina wants it off the plate. You really do appreciate when a starter gives you at least 6-7 innings.

The commentary is great, talking about the last game you have played or the last series. Injuries are realistic and I'm having to bring players up and down. I can also tell you when Descalso is at 2B or if it's Schumaker.

I've been playing Beltran at CF, because he just covers more ground than Jay or anyone else.

I also walk at least 3-5 players a game and take about the same amount myself, it's great.

MizzouRah
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by MizzouRah »

Rubber game against the Cubs tonight.. what a fantastic game.

Lohse allows a run in the first on a double by Soriano that scores their SS from 1st base. I go ahead 2-1 on a bomb in the RF seats by Berkman who hits his 3rd HR of the season. Lohse gets injured in the 4th inning (I know some won't like all the injures, but I like the challenge it brings, now Carpenter, Wainwright and Lohse are all on the 15 day DL) and I go to the pen. Mcclellan allows a run to put the game at 4-2. Salas also allows a run on a long single that scores Soriano who was on 1st base, 4-3. I bring in Motte, looking for his 3rd save in as many chances.

Easy grounder to Furcal and he throws it over Berkman's head, hitter to 2nd base. Next batter smacks a shot that's just out of Descalo's reach, runner on 2nd was going back to 2nd base so he wouldn't get doubled off, so he only winds up on 3rd base. Next batter I strike out. Next batter hits one to Furcal and he starts the 5-4-3 DP to end the game!

I was so excited, it was a fist pump moment!!!

Now I have to figure out if I'm going to sign another FA SP or maybe give someone from AAA a couple of games in the bigs.

Fascinating game MLB 2k12 is.

Aristo
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Aristo »

MizzouRah wrote:Agreed.. and I'm glad I traded Westbrook. :)

I try to throw a first pitch strike, just like most pitchers try to do, even if Molina wants it off the plate. You really do appreciate when a starter gives you at least 6-7 innings.

The commentary is great, talking about the last game you have played or the last series. Injuries are realistic and I'm having to bring players up and down. I can also tell you when Descalso is at 2B or if it's Schumaker.

I've been playing Beltran at CF, because he just covers more ground than Jay or anyone else.

I also walk at least 3-5 players a game and take about the same amount myself, it's great.
I have no hard and fast rule, but I generally aim outside the zone if the catcher calls for a ball. I am much less likely to do so if I am behind in the count. I do pretty much ignore the location, so even if he calls for an inside pitch, I may go high, low or outside. I am the same with location inside the zone.

In previous years I would go with the suggested pitch type 90% pf the time or so. But with the yellow warning of overuse, and forced strategy to avoid going into the red, I take on more of that myself this year. I want to force the batter to hit my pitch, so I end up thinking through sequences in order to achieve that.

I have bumped injuries back up to 20. I just think default is way more than is normal. But I do like guys getting injured. I lost Salas for 8 games, but put him on the DL for 15 because the cards have plenty of options in Memphis for middle relief. Freese has gotten hurt, and is ut for just 6 games, although he can play at lower ratings and a greater chance for re-injury. I was forced to bring him in as a PH at one point. Now have just lost Shumaker for 36+ days, which requires DL and a call-up.

icvu42
Starting 5
Starting 5

Post by icvu42 »

Aristo wrote: But with the yellow warning of overuse, and forced strategy to avoid going into the red, I take on more of that myself this year. I want to force the batter to hit my pitch, so I end up thinking through sequences in order to achieve that.
Where do you find the overuse of pitches?

I played some more last night. I am getting pitching down really well, except that I can not get the motions down for a curve ball. i think I have yet to throw a curve ball for a strike.

As far as hitting goes, I suck. I am being more patient, (I walked 3 times in a game last night). it's not like I am striking out a lot. i am making contact but just not getting good results. In about 27 innings of game play. I have around 3 doubles and a scattering of singles. Does hitting just take time to figure out? I am using MKHrash sliders, maybe I need to bump up my hitting a bit.

Rick

MizzouRah
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by MizzouRah »

Aristo wrote: I have no hard and fast rule, but I generally aim outside the zone if the catcher calls for a ball. I am much less likely to do so if I am behind in the count. I do pretty much ignore the location, so even if he calls for an inside pitch, I may go high, low or outside. I am the same with location inside the zone.

In previous years I would go with the suggested pitch type 90% pf the time or so. But with the yellow warning of overuse, and forced strategy to avoid going into the red, I take on more of that myself this year. I want to force the batter to hit my pitch, so I end up thinking through sequences in order to achieve that.

I have bumped injuries back up to 20. I just think default is way more than is normal. But I do like guys getting injured. I lost Salas for 8 games, but put him on the DL for 15 because the cards have plenty of options in Memphis for middle relief. Freese has gotten hurt, and is ut for just 6 games, although he can play at lower ratings and a greater chance for re-injury. I was forced to bring him in as a PH at one point. Now have just lost Shumaker for 36+ days, which requires DL and a call-up.
Schumaker is out for me as well, just a couple of days though. Dare I bring the kid, Shelby Miller up for a game or two? :D

Aristo
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Aristo »

I am using mkharsh's sliders, but I have boosted USER contact and power. Don't lock yourself down. Increase contact or drop CPU pitch effectiveness and see if you get better results. harsh is really good at this game, so don't be shy about bumping sliders to improve your experience with the game.

Consider CPU pitch effectiveness, too.

As for overuse of pitches, when the background of a pitch turns yellow, it means you are over. But when it turns red it dramatically improves the CPU hitter. Before a pitch hit the Dpad to the left and it brings up the pitch history box. One box to the left is a table with % you have thrown each pitch. Overuse is set according to a pitcher's real life history.

My suggestion to improve gestures is to go into Presentation Settings and set Pitch Analysis to every pitch. This will show you where you are off, even when it is not a bad gesture. This is really important. You will be amazed at how much small mistakes can effect location.

For practice, the pitch location drill will drive home just how far off you are. You can use different pitchers and get a better feel for how each guy is different.

Oh, and i turn swing analysis to off. It seems like a complete waste of time, unless i am missing something.

orthostud23
Panda Cub
Panda Cub

Post by orthostud23 »

I have been slacking in my franchise since TW came out. Time to get back on the saddle.

icvu42
Starting 5
Starting 5

Post by icvu42 »

Aristo, thanks again for your help. 2K should hire you to write the game manual!

I was able to turn my first DP last night. I was very pumped! Can't wait to play some more tonight.

Rick

Aristo
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Aristo »

orthostud23 wrote:I have been slacking in my franchise since TW came out. Time to get back on the saddle.
I keep reading the TW thread, and despite my negative impression of the early release version, you guys are nearly enabling me to give ti a try. I was just on my way home, and almost stopped in at Gamestop, where I have a preorder, but stopped, because I knew that I really want to just play my franchise. But the lure of a good CC is pretty strong, and is exactly the kind of feature I wish TW 11 had.

What will get in my way eventually will be The Witcher 2. And with the playoffs approaching, it is probably time to dig back into NHL 12.

But MLB 2K12 really has its hooks in me right now.

Aristo
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Aristo »

icvu42 wrote:Aristo, thanks again for your help. 2K should hire you to write the game manual!

I was able to turn my first DP last night. I was very pumped! Can't wait to play some more tonight.

Rick
No problem. I'd love to write a manual, to be honest. I think there is a lot to the game that gets overlooked by reviewers. Although one thing I would want to do is have a good chat wit the devs about how they intend users to use power, contact, and defensive swings.

There are a ton of theories about what is best, and it is probably my preferred way to play. But there seems to be a significantly more realistic hit variety when using classic controls. In this case the CPU decides what kind of swing for you. But other than some obvious moments when you are fouling off pitches with two strikes, or Kruk talks about how hard some guy swung the bat, it is not clear what kind of swing is being use when, and by who.

I hit a HR with Furcal, but I have no idea if it was power swing or not. But for him to have 1 HR over my first 23 games, that is realistic. I don't know how to replicate that on my own. If the devs would just lay out something simple, it would help.

My gameplan with analog hitting was to use contact 90% of the time. I'd use power on 2-0 and 3-1 counts (a great strategy to encourage taking pitches, by the way). I would also go with a power swing with two outs, less than two strikes, and no one in scoring position, if I had a power hitter at-bat. I rarely ever used the defensive swing.

The problem was, last year the check swing got glitched in one of the patches. Using analog swing makes check swinging very intuitive and easy to pull off. But check swings became automatic stikes after the glitch. The ump never signaled that you held up. So I decided to give the classic controls a try and really liked the way it made the game feel.