MLB 12 The Show

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

Brando70
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Re: MLB 12 The Show

Post by Brando70 »

Slumberland wrote:Using the offset camera to bat so far. Love using contact swing to hang in there when down 0-2, sometimes fight back to a walk, at least grind out a decent at bat.
Slumber, I meant to say thanks for the suggestion. I don't know if you're using the full Offset or Catch Offset, but I tried the catcher version and really like it. The slight tweak in the angle really improved my judgment of location.

Slumberland
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Slumberland »

Do you mean judgement of velocity? That's what offset helps me with, at least. Plus the slight angle makes everything seem a little more three-dimensional, instead of that flat head-on look. I think I use the full off-set but the principle is the same. Glad you like it!

I've been messing around with Diamond Dynasty, which is sort of a confusing beast. Creating the Queens Kaisers was a hoot, but the actual player development, Ultimate Team-esque card management, and prospect of playing online against people who I hear love to drop when losing all sound like a drag.

Mainly doing RTTS right now as a second-baseman in the Pirates organization, but really looking forward to starting a Mets franchise and half-waiting for Knight's OS rosters.

Brando70
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Brando70 »

Slumberland wrote:Do you mean judgement of velocity? That's what offset helps me with, at least. Plus the slight angle makes everything seem a little more three-dimensional, instead of that flat head-on look. I think I use the full off-set but the principle is the same. Glad you like it!
With velocity and location. I'm still a little late on pitches too much, but it's better than what I was seeing when I was using the default. I'm definitely getting a better sense of location. Like you said, a little bit of 3-D makes the breaks easier to read.

FifaInspected
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by FifaInspected »

Taking the day off today so I thought I'd start my RTTS. What a blast. I knocked out somewhere around 15 games so far. Once again I'm finding RTTS hard to put down. That being said, does anyone have any tips for training?
PSN - Fifa-Inspected
XBOX - Fifa Inspected

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

I got my copies today and played the Vita version. It's not bad but I wasn't blown away. Graphics could be a lot better, game play is where it shines as usual. I still haven't figured out how to view the player card in RTTS?

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

Another question, how do you download rosters?

edit: Some other things i've observed. What's up with the jaggies? :mad:

I saw a real cool animation. I was on the mound and the batter fouled the ball towards the on deck batter and the on deck batter was kneeling and watch the ball drop over his head. That was pretty cool to watch. :)

MizzouRah
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by MizzouRah »

It should prompt the rosters to download automatically.

btmmayor
Starting 5
Starting 5

Post by btmmayor »

Rodster wrote: Graphics could be a lot better,
A lot better? Really? Its a handheld. My goodness, I was playing from the broadcast view today (Reds) and it looked incredible.

Think about the DS, PSP, GBA or any other handheld devices and then take a look at The Show on the Vita.

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

When I see how FIFA 12 and VT4 looks then I compare The Show to them then it falls slightly short.

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

Rodster wrote:When I see how FIFA 12 and VT4 looks then I compare The Show to them then it falls slightly short.
Saying they are slightly short is a lot different than saying they could be a lot better. I'm perfectly happy with the shows graphics and I own both virtua tennis and FIFA as well. It fits in nicely. Not to mention how much more rendering the engine has to do in a baseball game compared to soccer and tennis. They did a damn good job.

Diablo25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Diablo25 »

Just played my first online game against Fifa and it was epic! My Phil's won 1-0 in the bottom of the 10th on a bases loaded fielders choice. It was Halladay vs Verlander and it was a battle. Halladay went 8 strong giving up 0 runs. Verlander did the same. We both went chess match style with the right/left matchups after removing the studs. I int walked Fielder in the 8th to set up a force and wiggled out of it. I dropped a few hits in in the 10th and Fifa int walked Rollins to load the bases. It was the right move but Victorino chopped one to the left of the mound and Fifa threw to 1st, mistakenly, scoring Polanco who had led off with a bloop single.

I was surprised at how well the game went. Overall I'd say it was a great experience. Bottom line it was fun playing against a human opponent...trying to guess pitches, etc. We will rematch soon Fifa!
XBLive Gamertag - Diablo25
PSN Name - EPDiablo25

FifaInspected
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by FifaInspected »

Color me shocked at how well that game played online.
I had no lag and the only goofy things were:

I had to adjust my horizontal and vertical tv settings in the game. (couldn't see the score until the 6th inning ;)

One time I squared to bunt but never saw the animation

I couldn't change the camera

Hitting was set to zone, offline I'm
Set at timing

Smooth, smooth, smooth!!
PSN - Fifa-Inspected
XBOX - Fifa Inspected

MizzouRah
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by MizzouRah »

I've finally settled in on settings.

AS across the board, pulse pitching, timing hitting and buttons for fielding. Lost to Detroit 6-2 with Westbrook pitching.. Beltran hit a bomb for me, but so did Fielder. :(

When Detroit brought in their relief pitcher, he dropped his glove and picked it back up.. this game has a ton of little things, that's for sure.

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

I'm starting to get really pissed off with Network Errors on PSN. Their network is so inferior to the 360's it's not even funny. It's no wonder it's free because if they charged for this pile of sh*t they'd get raked over the coals.

About half the time, I'll play a game or two of the show on the couch w/ the wife while watching TV or whatever and then I go into my office around this time (11pm PST) to play another game on the PS3 and the f'n connection won't allow me to download from the cloud. It's a PSN network thing because somehow I keep getting disconnected and it's a complete fluke when it works. It only really happens late night, so I'm sure it's a maintenance thing, but it's still a pain in the ass.

If MLB 2k12 wasn't so damn horrible, I'd have dumped this piece of sh*t system and network a while ago.

Pete
Starting 5
Starting 5

Post by Pete »

Decided to give Pulse Pitching a chance last night. I usually do not like meters or the analog graphics because I like to watch the pitcher wind up and throw.

Well, I didn't realize that after you push the button to set the pulse graphic, it disappears and your pitcher then winds up and throws. I actually really enjoyed pitching with this and may have to give it more of a chance. I have always used classic.

I started on veteran and did pretty well. I think eventually I could move up to AS. The only thing I noticed was that the game took me much longer as there were times when I would let it pulse 6-10 times trying to time it right. Also, not being very good at it, I threw a lot more balls, which is fine with me.

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

I watched the pulse pitching tutorial about tens times. Sounds simple but can't get the hang of it. It feels to me like a gimmick waiting to time the circle to when it's BIG and press the button so you get it in the sweet spot.

I went back to CLASSIC.

RallyMonkey
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by RallyMonkey »

(Vita version, Red Sox season). I'm in tweener land right now. Was on AS across the board, pulse pitching and zone batting but felt like my hitting was too weak for the team I was using. So I dropped hitting to Veteran and left everything else the same. Now I feel like I'm making too much contact to the tune of putting up 26 runs against the Twins in one game. To be fair, I also lost games 5-1 and 6-4, but even in those games I was swatting but balls were being caught as opposed to falling (or leaving the yard) like in the blowout.

I wonder if moving to AS, timing hitting will be the sweet spot, but unlike some others, I feel like there should be some notion of having to correctly swing in the area that the pitch is coming. Real ball players aren't up there just timing their swing, they are timing it along with swinging through the plane that the ball is on.

Just not sure where to settle. Having said that, loving the game so it's really an issue that i'm sure will work itself out.

sportdan30
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by sportdan30 »

Rodster wrote:I watched the pulse pitching tutorial about tens times. Sounds simple but can't get the hang of it. It feels to me like a gimmick waiting to time the circle to when it's BIG and press the button so you get it in the sweet spot.

I went back to CLASSIC.
You do realize you press the button when the circle is at its smallest, right? I've got the hang of it on Veteran but it, but it prolongs the game too much. I'm perfectly happy with Classic pitching right now.

sportdan30
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by sportdan30 »

RallyMonkey wrote:(Vita version, Red Sox season). I'm in tweener land right now. Was on AS across the board, pulse pitching and zone batting but felt like my hitting was too weak for the team I was using. So I dropped hitting to Veteran and left everything else the same. Now I feel like I'm making too much contact to the tune of putting up 26 runs against the Twins in one game. To be fair, I also lost games 5-1 and 6-4, but even in those games I was swatting but balls were being caught as opposed to falling (or leaving the yard) like in the blowout.

I wonder if moving to AS, timing hitting will be the sweet spot, but unlike some others, I feel like there should be some notion of having to correctly swing in the area that the pitch is coming. Real ball players aren't up there just timing their swing, they are timing it along with swinging through the plane that the ball is on.

Just not sure where to settle. Having said that, loving the game so it's really an issue that i'm sure will work itself out.
Try Zone hitting with the yellow splotch set to "off". That way it creates a bit more of a challenge as you have to use the left stick and press the button to time the pitch. I still like "timing" but I agree it's definitely not as challenging and rewarding.

Brando70
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Brando70 »

Pulse pitching works better when you think about the overall size of the circle and consider where you're throwing if you get the large circle. You will go crazy trying to time it every time. I usually am throwing within a couple of pulses unless it's a really key pitch, which isn't much slower than using analog.

fanatic
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by fanatic »

Brando70 wrote:Pulse pitching works better when you think about the overall size of the circle and consider where you're throwing if you get the large circle. You will go crazy trying to time it every time. I usually am throwing within a couple of pulses unless it's a really key pitch, which isn't much slower than using analog.
I've fallen into stretches where I'm mesmerized by the pulse....Agreed that it's best to commit early.

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

sportdan30 wrote:
Rodster wrote:I watched the pulse pitching tutorial about tens times. Sounds simple but can't get the hang of it. It feels to me like a gimmick waiting to time the circle to when it's BIG and press the button so you get it in the sweet spot.

I went back to CLASSIC.
You do realize you press the button when the circle is at its smallest, right? I've got the hang of it on Veteran but it, but it prolongs the game too much. I'm perfectly happy with Classic pitching right now.
I tried that and when I pressed X the circle was HUGE. So I tried to time it when the circle was HUGE and press X. That usually resulted in a smaller circle at the release point. It just drove me nuts watching the circle pulsate and trying to time it so I gave up and went back to Classic.

TheGamer
Starting 5
Starting 5

Post by TheGamer »

I'm going to go Theo Epstein and Jed Hoyer a few steps further and in the words of Mike Murphy, "I'm backing up the truck and cleaning house". Going to see how good this Cubs farm system really is.
XBL gamertag:SecondACR Vet
PSN: BHoward1
http://community.2ksports.com/community ... id=1010465
http://twitter.com/ BradHowardSr

MizzouRah
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by MizzouRah »

Pete wrote:Decided to give Pulse Pitching a chance last night. I usually do not like meters or the analog graphics because I like to watch the pitcher wind up and throw.

Well, I didn't realize that after you push the button to set the pulse graphic, it disappears and your pitcher then winds up and throws. I actually really enjoyed pitching with this and may have to give it more of a chance. I have always used classic.

I started on veteran and did pretty well. I think eventually I could move up to AS. The only thing I noticed was that the game took me much longer as there were times when I would let it pulse 6-10 times trying to time it right. Also, not being very good at it, I threw a lot more balls, which is fine with me.
That's the biggest plus, you can see the pitcher's full windup - I concentrate longer on times when I really need to be accurate, but I can't use anything else. I have also switched to "pitcher" which is right behind the pitcher because on "broadcast" view I was walking players because it was angled causing me to pitch outside too much.

In fact, I don't use broadcast view on either game when I pitch.

toonarmy
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by toonarmy »

I played against the Rangers last night for the first time as the road team. Holy crap! They got the Ranger's park down amazingly well. It's a thing of beauty.