NCAA Football 12

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

Aristo
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Re: NCAA Football 12

Post by Aristo »

I would love 2K style presentation, but at least NCAA errors on the side of minimal presentation. Crappy presentation that is full of bombast (I'm looking at you Madden!) is so much wore to sit through.

But, in my opinion, the NCAA team improved on what was a pretty fun game last year in all of the right ways. It's far from a perfect game, but it is up there with some of my favorite FB games of all-time in terms of fun and hours played.

I say this as a former EA boycotter and a 2K fanboy. It's just fun. I can't defend it's sim quality, and I am fully aware of its flaws. But I and up having a great time playing it. I do wish they would give these guys the Madden franchise, as I would much prefer an NFL game. But it doesn't look like I will be playing one again this year. The last two NFL games I have played for more than a month are NFL 2K5 and Madden 10. You can count APFB 2K8 if you want. It's not pretty.

bkrich83
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by bkrich83 »

I will also say I am enjoying coach mode as well. I may end up running a coach mode dynasty.
-BK

Teal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Teal »

Everyone's entitled to their opinion; I'd just prefer that their opinions be somewhat informed, especially if lemmings are using them to decide whether or not to walk off the cliff. And opinions like those shouldn't be lauded, they should be laughed at.
www.trailheadoutfitters.org
trailheadoutfitters.wordpress.com
facebook.com/Intentional.Fatherhood

bkrich83
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by bkrich83 »

Teal wrote:Everyone's entitled to their opinion; I'd just prefer that their opinions be somewhat informed, especially if lemmings are using them to decide whether or not to walk off the cliff. And opinions like those shouldn't be lauded, they should be laughed at.
. Indeed

How is the Auburn pre game intro? The USC one is pretty nice as is the FSU one.
-BK

Aristo
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Aristo »

bkrich83 wrote:I will also say I am enjoying coach mode as well. I may end up running a coach mode dynasty.
I have not messed with this yet. I'm curious if it will be fun enough to scratch that old FBPro 98 itch I have. I have heard it is not a multiplayer mode, though. Is this right?

There are not many folks that would find just calling plays interesting, but if done well enough, I think it is my favorite way to play football games. But console games have not been deep enough to pull this off in a long time.

But the OD function is fun enough that it can be fun to just build a team and play online as just a coach. But I'm not sure how many people are actually willing to do that. It seems more like a PC way to play, and the FBPro days are long gone.

bkrich83
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by bkrich83 »

Aristo wrote:
bkrich83 wrote:I will also say I am enjoying coach mode as well. I may end up running a coach mode dynasty.
I have not messed with this yet. I'm curious if it will be fun enough to scratch that old FBPro 98 itch I have. I have heard it is not a multiplayer mode, though. Is this right?

There are not many folks that would find just calling plays interesting, but if done well enough, I think it is my favorite way to play football games. But console games have not been deep enough to pull this off in a long time.

But the OD function is fun enough that it can be fun to just build a team and play online as just a coach. But I'm not sure how many people are actually willing to do that. It seems more like a PC way to play, and the FBPro days are long gone.

Boy do I miss fbpro. I almost flunked out of college because of that game. Even with the 30 minutes to sim the other games.

I thought you could play coach mode online. But don't quote me on that.
-BK

Danimal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Danimal »

bkrich83 wrote: I thought you could play coach mode online. But don't quote me on that.
If you can Terry and i couldn't figure out how to do it the other night.

I so wanted to do a coach mode online dynasty that would be awesome.
Follow Me on:
YouTube - www.youtube.com/maxpixelation/
Twitch - twitch.tv/maximumpixelation
Twitter - twitter.com/maxpixelation

toonarmy
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by toonarmy »

I lost to #2 LSU due to a simmed missed XP, so I finished the regular season 12-1, while winning the SEC champ. game. I beat the number one team, Auburn, in the regular season, so we both went into the SEC champ. game at 11-1. Thing is I was ranked 6 and somehow they were ranked 3rd. I will be playing Boise St. for the second straight year in the Sugar Bowl. The BCS title game is between the only two unbeatens -- TCU and Baylor. I was only five one-thousandths of a point away from TCU in the BCS rankings. Baylor's QB won the Heisman even though his stats in every area but one were worse than mine (he had a few more rushing yards, but 12 less TD and more ints., and 1,000 less passing yards). I also finished the season as first-team all-american at QB, while the Baylor QB was second-team. At least I won the Davey O'Brien award, lol. Seems kind of wonky to me, but I guess the Baylor QB's team did go unbeaten, so I can live with that. It gives me something to shoot for my Jr and Sr years. Still loving the game and playing it a ton.

XXXIV
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by XXXIV »

Danimal wrote:
bkrich83 wrote: I thought you could play coach mode online. But don't quote me on that.

Would kick ass for sure!

GTHobbes
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by GTHobbes »

Thanks, Vin -- I appreciate it. I also think my taste in football games is closer to yours than these other guys who like EA football every year, and I'll be interested in hearing your impressions when your copy arrives.

bkrich83
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by bkrich83 »

Danimal wrote:

Yeah that would be sooo fun.
-BK

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

I just read the review and wow. At least it was fun to see Gamespot editing the review to basically say the reviewer didn't have a clue.

XXXIV
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by XXXIV »

Rodster wrote:I just read the review and wow. At least it was fun to see Gamespot editing the review to basically say the reviewer didn't have a clue.
They should make that a blanket statement for all of their reviews. :D

sportdan30
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by sportdan30 »

Side by side, what a big difference between the 360 and the PS3 versions of the game. It's not even remotely close. The 360 is superior in just about every facet. I'm officially a convert!

Lancer
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Lancer »

sportdan30 wrote:Side by side, what a big difference between the 360 and the PS3 versions of the game. It's not even remotely close. The 360 is superior in just about every facet. I'm officially a convert!
Can you go further into detail?

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

Lancer wrote:
sportdan30 wrote:Side by side, what a big difference between the 360 and the PS3 versions of the game. It's not even remotely close. The 360 is superior in just about every facet. I'm officially a convert!
LOL he'll return that 360 within 30 days you'll see. :)

Graphically there isn't a whole lot of difference between the PS3 and 360 versions on any of the EA Sports titles these days. I purchased both versions of NHL 11 and I couldn't tell that much between the 360 and PS3 versions. I traded the PS3 copy because I was too use to playing it with the 360 controller. Other than that it looked and played the same.

MizzouRah
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by MizzouRah »

Rodster wrote:
Lancer wrote:
LOL he'll return that 360 within 30 days you'll see. :)

Graphically there isn't a whole lot of difference between the PS3 and 360 versions on any of the EA Sports titles these days. I purchased both versions of NHL 11 and I couldn't tell that much between the 360 and PS3 versions. I traded the PS3 copy because I was too use to playing it with the 360 controller. Other than that it looked and played the same.
Yes he will :)

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

Does this make it #4 or #5 on his 360 purchases? :)

sportdan30
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by sportdan30 »

Lancer wrote:
Certainly. The first thing I noticed that was immediately noticeable was the over view of the stadium. It had that "screen door" effect where everything was just not very clear. The crowd in particular had a shimmery look to it and after playing the game on the 360, hurt the eyes. The best way to describe it would be if you were squinting your eyes. The on the field gameplay, and maybe it's due to the latest patch looked very dumbed down compared to the 360 version. The player models in particular had a less than sharpness to them compared to the 360. The field degradation looks pretty poor on both systems imo. But overall, it's very easy to tell which games looks cleaner and more polished.

I'll take the ribbing on my multiple purchases of the 360....this is number 3 by the way. Best Buy had a $50 gift card with the purchase of the system. That only helped in pushing me back over to the 360. Plus, I feel a lot more comforted knowing the system is quieter and more stable. The 4GB I had before was not large enough. I installed NCAA on to the hard drive and it's whisper quiet and less stress on the system.

In addition, over the past year, my dizziness playing open sand box type games has progressively gotten worse to the point where I feel nauseous and sick to my stomach. It seems all I can play now are sports and some racing games. Therefore, if I had to choose which system to play games such as NCAA, Madden, NBA 2K, Fifa, and NHL, I'd rather it be on the 360. I'm still keeping the PS3 mainly for The Show and it's blu-ray purpose. We have a two week old, beautiful new media console and both systems fit perfectly.

vinny-b
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by vinny-b »

sportdan30 wrote:Certainly. The first thing I noticed that was immediately noticeable was the over view of the stadium. It had that "screen door" effect where everything was just not very clear. The crowd in particular had a shimmery look to it and after playing the game on the 360, hurt the eyes. The best way to describe it would be if you were squinting your eyes. The on the field gameplay, and maybe it's due to the latest patch looked very dumbed down compared to the 360 version. The player models in particular had a less than sharpness to them compared to the 360. The field degradation looks pretty poor on both systems imo. But overall, it's very easy to tell which games looks cleaner and more polished.

I'll take the ribbing on my multiple purchases of the 360....this is number 3 by the way. Best Buy had a $50 gift card with the purchase of the system. That only helped in pushing me back over to the 360. Plus, I feel a lot more comforted knowing the system is quieter and more stable. The 4GB I had before was not large enough. I installed NCAA on to the hard drive and it's whisper quiet and less stress on the system.
thanks, Dan.

:D

MizzouRah
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by MizzouRah »

My copy just shipped, so next week I'll finally get to dig into the game (can't wait). As someone who's played NCAA 11 for over 100+ games, I'm exciting about some of what I've been reading. I am going to miss my virtual NCAA 11 Mizzou Tigers though, especially this last draft class.

I have both systems and buy all sports games on the 360.

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

All in good fun Dan :)

I'm awaiting my copy for the PS3 which will now go back to Amazon. My 360 is completely torn apart down to the motherboard. Hopefully my Arctic cleaner kit shows up today so I can reapply the paste and put it back together. Then alas I can then move on to the proverbial smoke test.

XXXIV
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by XXXIV »

Played three games with Zeppo last night.

Game kicks ass.

He said he likes it. 8)

sportdan30
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by sportdan30 »

Rodster wrote:All in good fun Dan :)

I'm awaiting my copy for the PS3 which will now go back to Amazon. My 360 is completely torn apart down to the motherboard. Hopefully my Arctic cleaner kit shows up today so I can reapply the paste and put it back together. Then alas I can then move on to the proverbial smoke test.

No worries Rod. Even the wife thinks I'm nuts!

From what I have read, the latest tuner update was problematic regarding the 360 and it's graphics as well. But, it's still heads and shoulders above the PS3 version. The replays and cut scenes do look very nice on the PS3, but the graphics take a definite hit with regards to game play.

I'm hoping for a patch to the audio. There has been several complaints about how the crowd is much too quiet. In addition, other sound effects seem muted.

Has anyone toyed with the sliders at this point? The only thing that I think needs editing at this point is QB pass block being increased, and CPU running ability.

Zeppo
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Zeppo »

Oops double post.
Last edited by Zeppo on Sat Jul 16, 2011 12:53 pm, edited 2 times in total.