OT: Brothers In Arms: Hells Highway

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

Gurantsu
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Gurantsu »

From your list I still have Flight Leader, that was always fun and not too complicated so it will stay in my collection.

I like the current trend in the hobby towards games with better components and smaller rulebooks. It seems all of us kids grew up and just don't have the time for the monster games anymore. So now the designs are tighter, easier to learn, but still fun to play and as historically accurate as their larger cousins. More rules doesn't mean more accuracy!

Another cool thing with the newer games is that kids can get into the action. My friends 8 year old son has played with us before, and I have a game called Dogs Life that my 5 year old daughter likes to play (not really a wargame but it does introduce some of the same concepts). She's a fan of Star Wars miniatures also. The day I can play 7th Fleet with my kids I'll be a happy man!
2319!

Gamertag: "Gurantsu"

davet010
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by davet010 »

RobVarak wrote:
seanmac31 wrote: Nice to see DSP crossover into the wargaming world.
I still cling to the Combat Mission games like a familiar old blanket. Easily the games that pound-for-pound gave me the most entertainment of any wargame.

Been a long, long time since I've played anything hex-based.
Rob

Correct me if I'm wrong, but weren't we going to do a PBEM game of CM 2 or CM 3 at some point ? Still up for a game if you fancy it.
"The players come from all over the world, the money from deep underneath the Persian Gulf, but, as another, older City poster campaign put it, this is their city. They may now exist in the global spotlight, but they intend to keep it that way."

Danimal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Danimal »

Since this thread is way OT I'd like to chime in that Tide of Iron one of my favorite boards games of the past year or two is coming to XBL in the future. It's a great scenario based 2-4 players WW2 game.
Follow Me on:
YouTube - www.youtube.com/maxpixelation/
Twitch - twitch.tv/maximumpixelation
Twitter - twitter.com/maxpixelation

RobVarak
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by RobVarak »

davet010 wrote: Correct me if I'm wrong, but weren't we going to do a PBEM game of CM 2 or CM 3 at some point ? Still up for a game if you fancy it.
That would be excellent. I haven't installed it on any of my Vista machines, though. I'm not sure if it's even supported, but I'll give it a shot.
XBL Gamertag: RobVarak

"Ok I'm an elitist, but I have a healthy respect for people who don't measure up." --Aaron Sorkin

Gurantsu
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Gurantsu »

Danimal wrote:Since this thread is way OT I'd like to chime in that Tide of Iron one of my favorite boards games of the past year or two is coming to XBL in the future. It's a great scenario based 2-4 players WW2 game.
TOI is coming to Live? Awesome! I have it and the expansion and think it's great. Where did you hear about it?
2319!

davet010
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by davet010 »

RobVarak wrote:
davet010 wrote: Correct me if I'm wrong, but weren't we going to do a PBEM game of CM 2 or CM 3 at some point ? Still up for a game if you fancy it.
That would be excellent. I haven't installed it on any of my Vista machines, though. I'm not sure if it's even supported, but I'll give it a shot.
Same for me - I'll install it this weekend and we'll have a bash.
"The players come from all over the world, the money from deep underneath the Persian Gulf, but, as another, older City poster campaign put it, this is their city. They may now exist in the global spotlight, but they intend to keep it that way."

Danimal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Danimal »

Gurantsu wrote:
Danimal wrote:Since this thread is way OT I'd like to chime in that Tide of Iron one of my favorite boards games of the past year or two is coming to XBL in the future. It's a great scenario based 2-4 players WW2 game.
TOI is coming to Live? Awesome! I have it and the expansion and think it's great. Where did you hear about it?
GenCon

FFG is putting games to live, first is Wings of War which was on display and the second is Tide or Iron which was not on display.

Since FFG now owns Battlelore as well I would think that will end up there too as like TOI it is a logical fit.
Follow Me on:

Slumberland
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Slumberland »

I finished Hell's Highway last night. I thought it was pretty superb. The story's actually pretty good, despite some confusing chronological trickery and the fact that every character looks the same for the first five hours, until your brain starts to sort the subtle facial differences (that guy's scar is on his cheek... but that other dude's is on his nose).

slyguy
Utility Infielder
Utility Infielder

Post by slyguy »

Slumberland wrote:I finished Hell's Highway last night. I thought it was pretty superb. The story's actually pretty good, despite some confusing chronological trickery and the fact that every character looks the same for the first five hours, until your brain starts to sort the subtle facial differences (that guy's scar is on his cheek... but that other dude's is on his nose).
I finished it last week i really liked the game. It was my first BIA's game i played. I thought the story was great, to me the reviews score's were too low for this game, also the game was a little on the short side. But hey with all these games coming out now/soon it will just give me more time to play them

Slumberland
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Slumberland »

Yeah, I was happy with the length... was really trying to squeeze it into the space of a week so I could get it back in the mail and prep my Gamefly queue for FIFA.

Hopefully it sells well enough to warrant another chapter.

dougb
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dougb »

I'll resurrect this thread - that'll keep Db happy! :D

I've ordered Conflict of Heroes - Awakening the Bear which is a squad level board war game on the Eastern Front in World War 2. Anybody else have this game? There's a PC cyber board download version so I'm hoping that it will help me hook up with some other players.

Otherwise, it'll be time to teach the wife! :D

Best wishes,

Doug
"Every major sport has come under the influence of organized crime. FIFA actually is organized crime" - Charles Pierce

Danimal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Danimal »

I have it doug

It's an awesome game, I highly recommend it
Follow Me on:

dougb
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dougb »

Danimal wrote:I have it doug

It's an awesome game, I highly recommend it
When I have it I'll give you a shout - it would be cool to play via the cyber board.

Best wishes,

Doug
"Every major sport has come under the influence of organized crime. FIFA actually is organized crime" - Charles Pierce

Gurantsu
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Gurantsu »

I had Conflict Of Heroes, but just traded it away on Boardgamegeek. It is a very cool game, but I just found I was reaching for Combat Commander instead of it when I wanted a WW2 tactical game. When the system covers some of the modern stuff as the designer says it will then I'll certainly pick it up.
2319!

dougb
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dougb »

I've got lock n load on pre-order as well. Both have cyberboard versions - finding people to play is always and issue and there really isn't a war boardgame group where I live. Lock n Load also has a PC version featuring the Stanlingrad battles with AI that appears to be scheduled for release sometime in July.

BTW, there's a guy over at Matrix games whose working on XASL (or ASLX) where he's developing a PC version of ASL with AI. It looks to be extremely faithful recreation of the boardgame - the graphics actually looks as close to the boardgame as VASSAL. There are some concerns about potential IP problems down the road - he doesn't have the IP rights to the game. Hopefully it'll be released and halfway decent but who the heck knows?

Best wishes,

Doug

Danimal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Danimal »

Well if I had to pick one it would be Combat commander, I like the chaos of it better. but I think the games are different enough that I can own both, crap I have about a dozen WW2 games.
Follow Me on:

Danimal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Danimal »

Oh and I know this isn't WW2 bit the new Age of Conan game is pretty good.
Follow Me on:

seanmac31
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by seanmac31 »

dougb wrote:I'll resurrect this thread - that'll keep Db happy! :D

I've ordered Conflict of Heroes - Awakening the Bear which is a squad level board war game on the Eastern Front in World War 2. Anybody else have this game? There's a PC cyber board download version so I'm hoping that it will help me hook up with some other players.

Otherwise, it'll be time to teach the wife! :D

Best wishes,

Doug
Conflict of Heroes is a terrific game, and it does a much better job of modeling WW2 tactics than Combat Commander. I happen to like CC:E, but the lack of facing and the problematic lack of lethality in combat causes some problems. (I do wish CoH would import the variable objective and scenario end rules from CC;E, however.)

dougb
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dougb »

Looking forward to getting Conflict of Heroes - even if the price tag on these boardgames (and shipping) is pretty jarring. I'm set up for a PBEM game of the PC Russo-German war by Schwerpunkt. It's quite a nice game that plays very much like a boardgame.

Best wishes,

Doug

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Re: OT: Brothers In Arms: Hells Highway

Post by pk500 »

Another thread resurrection! :)

This game has provided me with one of the best single-player gaming experiences I've enjoyed on any platform. FANTASTIC.

I enjoyed the original BIA game, and Hell's Highway has refined that gameplay mechanic to a sharp point while adding many cool features. This game is "Band of Brothers" in videogame form.

Sublime. Love, love, LOVE it.
"You know why I love boxers? I love them because they face fear. And they face it alone." - Nick Charles

"First on the throttle, last on the brakes." - @MotoGP Twitter signature

XBL Gamertag: pk4425

Teal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Teal »

Yep. Amazing game.
www.trailheadoutfitters.org
trailheadoutfitters.wordpress.com
facebook.com/Intentional.Fatherhood

Gurantsu
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Gurantsu »

One of my favorites. I even got the PC version in a Steam sale to play again.
2319!

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

Teal wrote:Yep. Amazing game.
Sh*t, this is geeky, but I even care when I get guys killed with bad command decisions. This game evokes emotion -- whether remorse, delight or gripping tension -- like few others I've played.
"You know why I love boxers? I love them because they face fear. And they face it alone." - Nick Charles

"First on the throttle, last on the brakes." - @MotoGP Twitter signature

XBL Gamertag: pk4425

Teal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Teal »

pk500 wrote:
Sh*t, this is geeky, but I even care when I get guys killed with bad command decisions. This game evokes emotion -- whether remorse, delight or gripping tension -- like few others I've played.
Me too, man. I credit the writers for that one.
www.trailheadoutfitters.org
trailheadoutfitters.wordpress.com
facebook.com/Intentional.Fatherhood

Diablo25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Diablo25 »

Ditto. Love the series.
XBLive Gamertag - Diablo25
PSN Name - EPDiablo25