NHL09: DSP EASHL (360)

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

GameSeven
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by GameSeven »

Gangrel wrote:edit: just rewatched the video... I am pretty sure 21 still has my last name, so I guess it does get taken over. I wonder if I get the assist? ;)
Yes, I had noticed that you lost connection in that game and the CPU *does* take control of your player rather than sub a random, so you are correct that you (in spirit at least) were involved in the final play :wink: I'd just forgotten by the end of the match :P

Gangrel
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Gangrel »

You guys should have noticed a difference when the new #21 played better positionally, made better passes, and played better D. ;)
gamertag: Ace EZ

Once a Dragon, a Dragon for life!

JackB1
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by JackB1 »

I can't believe the DSP team has played almost 100 games already! When are all these games taking place? The game has only been out, what, 2 weeks?

Anyway, when are we doing some more club games? I played some randoms last night and they still were fun. If you get a good bunch of guys that know hockey, even randoms can be fun. I am also enjoying my single player BAP immensely. I have never had a game before that has me equally entertained with single and online play as much before. This game truly is hockey heaven. I might keep this game until springtime :)

Gangrel
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Gangrel »

JackB1 wrote:I can't believe the DSP team has played almost 100 games already! When are all these games taking place? The game has only been out, what, 2 weeks?
I think the game has been out 3 weeks actually. I don't imainge it's hard to rack up the games either. I know the nights I've been on for a few hours we've railed off 4 or 5 games. And dont' forget, the DSP Dragons can be rocking the hizzouse 24/7 as our friends in other time zones may be playing while we are all at work....

Sadly, I just realized Live is down all day until 3am for me. I thought it was only 12 hours, but it's 24!

Naples39
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Naples39 »

I think our games played skyrocketed too when we learned we could have multiple games at once if there are more than 6 DSP'ers online at a time.

I'm always up for a DSP game, but I seem to be the early bird of the crowd and like to do most of my playing 8-10 pm.

Badger_Fan
Utility Infielder
Utility Infielder

Post by Badger_Fan »

Hey guys. I picked up this game late last week and have been playing a bit. I would love to join the team if you wouldn't mind sending me an invite. My gamer tag is Data Badger.
The sing-along songs'll be our scriptures.

RallyMonkey
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by RallyMonkey »

Well the true sign of a quality game. I've been away for the last few nights and other than seeing my family, the next thing i thought about was more Ice Dragon competition!!! Anyone gonna be around tonight?

JackB1
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by JackB1 »

RallyMonkey wrote:Well the true sign of a quality game. I've been away for the last few nights and other than seeing my family, the next thing i thought about was more Ice Dragon competition!!! Anyone gonna be around tonight?
I should be on after 10 ET

Zeppo
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Zeppo »

I'm loving this mode as always, but I would like to propose a few basic ground rules when it comes to playing Club games.

First: 'Two is not Enough.' It's pretty easy to back out and find a game with three or more, so I prefer to try again when confronted with a 2-man team. Only when it gets really difficult to find a stable game do I relent. It's not like the game sucks against a two-man team, but to me it doesn't fit with the true spirit of OTP.

And this also goes for our Club. If I'm online with only one other Club member, I will always prefer to play non-Club ranked games with him in a full room of randoms rather than be a two-man Club team. More often than not, I have good results in those rooms, and the games still count towards building up your character. Two on two is great if all are 'any,' but that don't fly in Club-land.

Secondly, I think we should always have at least one human defensman. The main reason for this is because of the common cherry picker tactic employed in Club games, which the CPU doesn't do a very good job of dealing with on its own. Also, when there are two CPUs at the blue line, you never get that point-to-point pass, and that's a little stunting to the offensive chances, but mostly it's about being more secure on the defensive side of the puck. When there's a human goalie, I think it's imperative to have at least one human D-man, or else that goalie can really feel all alone and very exposed.

The main thing, I guess, is that I think a group of four is the ideal size for a Club game, unless we have two guys who really want to be D. I enjoy playing D, but I feel at a disadvantage with my playmaker toon because he can't really hit very well. If we have two guys who want to play D, then five is a heck of a lot of fun, but in most cases it seems like someone gets stuck playing D when he doesn't have the best-suited toon for the role, or he doesn't want to babysit the other team's cherry-pickers or sit at the blue line, and we end up giving up a lot of easy chances because of it.

I also think goalies have to want to be goalie in Club games, or it's not worth it. I'm all for having full six on six games, but I feel that whoever plays goalie has to really want to do it and be enthusiastic about it from the start. Feeling like you have to play goalie just because no one else is willing to do it is not the best way to start the game. Heck, I think a four man team with a goalie can be great fun, but again only if the goalie is really into playing that role.

In general, I'd much rather have a human goalie than not, because I know that a good human goalie can be very tough to beat, but it's way too easy to spiral down into disaster if the guy playing goalie isn't 100% comfortable with the role. In the end, the most important thing for a human goalie is to have defensman who are really concentrating on helping him out, but you have to want to be between the pipes in any case.

So, here's what I'd say as the rule of thumb for the dressing room: aim for four-man teams as the ideal. If there are six in the dressing room, but no one is a good goalie, then go get a game with a three man team, and the other three can back out for 15 seconds, and then come back in and find a 2nd game with their three-man team. Most of the time when there are six in the dressing room, there are actually more guys online who'd like to play, so we could easily end up with multiple four- or five-man teams playing at the same time if a couple guys back out for a half a minute or so and then regroup with the other stragglers to start a 2nd game.

Ultimately, I see this mode as laid back and fun, and I don't care too much about the record. That's not to say I don't want to win, or won't play to win whenever we go out there with that big ol' HX on our shirt, because a lot of the fun for me is in playing well in competitive games. That feeling of working together to earn a win is second to none. But outside of these general rules, which are as always meant to be broken (or at least stretched and tested), I don't think it's a good idea to sit here and try to engineer the 'ultimate DSP Club team,' or tell people they aren't allowed to join because the results are more important than the camaraderie. That's just not the spirit of DSP.

I think most folks in this group would agree with these rules in general, but I'd love to hear some feedback and discuss.

MACTEPsporta
Benchwarmer
Benchwarmer

Post by MACTEPsporta »

Zeppo wrote:I'm loving this mode as always, but I would like to propose a few basic ground rules when it comes to playing Club games.

First: 'Two is not Enough.' It's pretty easy to back out and find a game with three or more, so I prefer to try again when confronted with a 2-man team. Only when it gets really difficult to find a stable game do I relent. It's not like the game sucks against a two-man team, but to me it doesn't fit with the true spirit of OTP.

And this also goes for our Club. If I'm online with only one other Club member, I will always prefer to play non-Club ranked games with him in a full room of randoms rather than be a two-man Club team. More often than not, I have good results in those rooms, and the games still count towards building up your character. Two on two is great if all are 'any,' but that don't fly in Club-land.

Secondly, I think we should always have at least one human defensman. The main reason for this is because of the common cherry picker tactic employed in Club games, which the CPU doesn't do a very good job of dealing with on its own. Also, when there are two CPUs at the blue line, you never get that point-to-point pass, and that's a little stunting to the offensive chances, but mostly it's about being more secure on the defensive side of the puck. When there's a human goalie, I think it's imperative to have at least one human D-man, or else that goalie can really feel all alone and very exposed.

The main thing, I guess, is that I think a group of four is the ideal size for a Club game, unless we have two guys who really want to be D. I enjoy playing D, but I feel at a disadvantage with my playmaker toon because he can't really hit very well. If we have two guys who want to play D, then five is a heck of a lot of fun, but in most cases it seems like someone gets stuck playing D when he doesn't have the best-suited toon for the role, or he doesn't want to babysit the other team's cherry-pickers or sit at the blue line, and we end up giving up a lot of easy chances because of it.

I also think goalies have to want to be goalie in Club games, or it's not worth it. I'm all for having full six on six games, but I feel that whoever plays goalie has to really want to do it and be enthusiastic about it from the start. Feeling like you have to play goalie just because no one else is willing to do it is not the best way to start the game. Heck, I think a four man team with a goalie can be great fun, but again only if the goalie is really into playing that role.

In general, I'd much rather have a human goalie than not, because I know that a good human goalie can be very tough to beat, but it's way too easy to spiral down into disaster if the guy playing goalie isn't 100% comfortable with the role. In the end, the most important thing for a human goalie is to have defensman who are really concentrating on helping him out, but you have to want to be between the pipes in any case.

So, here's what I'd say as the rule of thumb for the dressing room: aim for four-man teams as the ideal. If there are six in the dressing room, but no one is a good goalie, then go get a game with a three man team, and the other three can back out for 15 seconds, and then come back in and find a 2nd game with their three-man team. Most of the time when there are six in the dressing room, there are actually more guys online who'd like to play, so we could easily end up with multiple four- or five-man teams playing at the same time if a couple guys back out for a half a minute or so and then regroup with the other stragglers to start a 2nd game.

Ultimately, I see this mode as laid back and fun, and I don't care too much about the record. That's not to say I don't want to win, or won't play to win whenever we go out there with that big ol' HX on our shirt, because a lot of the fun for me is in playing well in competitive games. That feeling of working together to earn a win is second to none. But outside of these general rules, which are as always meant to be broken (or at least stretched and tested), I don't think it's a good idea to sit here and try to engineer the 'ultimate DSP Club team,' or tell people they aren't allowed to join because the results are more important than the camaraderie. That's just not the spirit of DSP.

I think most folks in this group would agree with these rules in general, but I'd love to hear some feedback and discuss.
Can we see the full version of the plan? I find this compressed version not in depth enough.

RobVarak
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by RobVarak »

MACTEPsporta wrote:
Can we see the full version of the plan? I find this compressed version not in depth enough.
Well played, sir. :)
XBL Gamertag: RobVarak

"Ok I'm an elitist, but I have a healthy respect for people who don't measure up." --Aaron Sorkin

Danimal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Danimal »

I want an actual club sweater now.

Too bad their is no option to order them, how could EA lose out on this opportunity to get more cash :)
Follow Me on:
YouTube - www.youtube.com/maxpixelation/
Twitch - twitch.tv/maximumpixelation
Twitter - twitter.com/maxpixelation

nyisles16
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by nyisles16 »

Have no problems playing D..

I'll be on tonight as well..

GameSeven
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by GameSeven »

Zeppo wrote:First: 'Two is not Enough.'
I tend to agree.
Zeppo wrote:And this also goes for our Club. If I'm online with only one other Club member, I will always prefer to play non-Club ranked games with him in a full room of randoms rather than be a two-man Club team. More often than not, I have good results in those rooms, and the games still count towards building up your character.
Is that true? I'd wondered but never bothered to pursue an answer.
Zeppo wrote:Secondly, I think we should always have at least one human defensman.
I'm ambivalent on this. I can do a three man match with a forward line only, but I do prefer having a human D. I missed Chester Burnett's intimidating presence the other night :P
Zeppo wrote:I also think goalies have to want to be goalie in Club games, or it's not worth it.
Goaltending has to be the stickiest wicket in EASHL. I admit to enjoying it (since I've seemingly gotten my worst games out of my system early), however, I would like to rotate games in goal and games out. When in a full room this is obviously tough to arrange.

Couple this with the fact that you never know if the other side will be playing with a HG or not, it can become the biggest differentiator in game balance, IMHO.

It would be nice if they'd included an option to search for only HG or non-HG as your preference dictated.

One other team we played (who was a full 6 and, thus, HG) went so far as to demand we play HG as well or they would back out. I can understand where they are coming from but, like the uniform color dance, could be alleviated with a better UI design.
Zeppo wrote:Ultimately, I see this mode as laid back and fun, and I don't care too much about the record. That's not to say I don't want to win, or won't play to win whenever we go out there with that big ol' HX on our shirt, because a lot of the fun for me is in playing well in competitive games. That feeling of working together to earn a win is second to none. But outside of these general rules, which are as always meant to be broken (or at least stretched and tested), I don't think it's a good idea to sit here and try to engineer the 'ultimate DSP Club team,' or tell people they aren't allowed to join because the results are more important than the camaraderie. That's just not the spirit of DSP.
I completely agree. I haven't heard any rumblings to the contrary, so I assume everyone's on the same page.
Last edited by GameSeven on Tue Sep 30, 2008 3:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MACTEPsporta
Benchwarmer
Benchwarmer

Post by MACTEPsporta »

GameSeven wrote:I missed Chester Burnett's intmidating presence the other night
Oh, boy...

JackB1
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by JackB1 »

MACTEPsporta wrote:
there is nothing "compressed" about our boy Zeppo :)

nyisles16
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by nyisles16 »

Zeppo wrote:I'm loving this mode as always, but I would like to propose a few basic ground rules when it comes to playing Club games.

Don't hold back, Zeppo :lol:

Too late to request a uni change?? Those "light blues" are getting tough to look at on the eyes.

GO ICE DRAGONS!!

RobVarak
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by RobVarak »

MACTEPsporta wrote:
GameSeven wrote:I missed Chester Burnett's intmidating presence the other night
Oh, boy...
Oddly enough given conditions, I've been busy the last couple nights. I'll be back tonight though looking to police the crease :)
XBL Gamertag: RobVarak

"Ok I'm an elitist, but I have a healthy respect for people who don't measure up." --Aaron Sorkin

nyisles16
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by nyisles16 »

I've found my new calling...

XXXIV
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by XXXIV »

RobVarak wrote:
MACTEPsporta wrote:

:lol: ..yes it was...

Though...I do agree with all Zeppo had to say...Especially the part about playing to enjoy the game...Id love to win every game or to be a better player personally but Im online to have fun and hang out with the boys... I already have a job :P

I have been in the process of moving the last few days so I look forward to getting back out on the ice soon...Even if a certain someone forces me to play defense
:D

Gangrel
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Gangrel »

Id didn't mind playing D when I was on the last few times. It's a pain trying to keep track of cherry pickers though. Having the camera focus on my player is the only way, but then I have no idea what's happening in the offensve zone, so I keep trying to flip back and forth. I apologize in advance to any human goalie who gets 5 breakaways in a game.

I kinda wish I made my guy bigger though. I guess I still can, can't I? Although, it IS an advantage getting rocked like I do, it usually draws penalties. :P

nyisles16
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by nyisles16 »

XXXIV wrote:
RobVarak wrote:
MACTEPsporta wrote:

Though...I do agree with all Zeppo had to say...Especially the part about playing to enjoy the game...Id love to win every game or to be a better player personally but Im online to have fun and hang out with the boys... I already have a job :P

I have been in the process of moving the last few days so I look forward to getting back out on the ice soon...Even if a certain someone forces me to play defense
Well usually you're sitting around in the box.......

XXXIV
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by XXXIV »

nyisles16 wrote:
XXXIV wrote:
RobVarak wrote: Well played, sir. :)

Well usually you're sitting around in the box.......
Remember the story about the box in Slapshot?

Not most nights according to my stats . I think that might have been cause I was playing with you that night :wink:

DrCosta
Mario Mendoza

Post by DrCosta »

I have no problem playing goal, last time we were playing we were dominating but couldnt score, just remember postions wingers on D stay with your point men, c moves around and d stay on d.

Sport73
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Sport73 »

Me too. I'm "enthusiastic" about playing goal when needed, but I also think I provide the most value as a forward.
Sport73

"Can't we all just get along? I'll turn this car around RIGHT now!"