NHL09: DSP EASHL (360)

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

GameSeven
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by GameSeven »

Gangrel wrote:Are you guys all playing in Classic cam? I've been playing with the BAP cam in high, and tried the focus trick tonight, but it didn't seem to do anything.

I assume this is only in Classic Cam view?
I play with BAP Low when in goal, but Overhead when playing out. While the BAP cameras are nice in concept, they are less practical for seeing the entire ice and your position relative to the other players.

But yes, the focus change does not apply to BAP cameras.

webdanzer
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by webdanzer »

ScoopBrady wrote:
RobVarak wrote:I'd be more aggravated about it if I could replicate the glitch LOL And while all the goals seemed to beat the GK the same way, they were from different spots on the ice. I agree they were up to something, but I'll be damned if I could figure it out.
All they kept doing was doing a stick move followed by a quick wrist shot. It seemed as if every time they did a stick move the goalie would commit and they'd wrist it to the opposite side. They might have been doing it from different spots on the ice (which actually scares the hell out of me since it will work anywhere) but they were doing the same thing over and over. As soon as they had a clear view of the net they'd flick the stick and then wrist it in. To make matters worse I couldn't hear any of you guys in chat. EA needs to patch this because it will ruin OTP with cpu goalies. Did you notice that in the pregame lobby as soon as they saw we didn't pick goalie that they said "Ha, we're going to kill you guys." If that was the first we saw of it then it won't be long before we keep seeing it.
I see this all the time now online. Anyone figure it out? Not sure if it is a glitch, juiced stats, some equipment settings....or maybe most likely a combo of the above?

CPU goalies are looking like sieves out there.

JackB1
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by JackB1 »

webdanzer wrote: I see this all the time now online. Anyone figure it out? Not sure if it is a glitch, juiced stats, some equipment settings....or maybe most likely a combo of the above?

They why can't our club team score? I wasn't trying this "move" but i would imagine others are. We don't always play against human goalies, right?

JackB1
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by JackB1 »

Gangrel wrote:Are you guys all playing in Classic cam? I've been playing with the BAP cam in high, and tried the focus trick tonight, but it didn't seem to do anything.

I assume this is only in Classic Cam view?
The Classic Cam is the best for online play. Just make sure to keep focus on the puck, not your player.

webdanzer
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by webdanzer »

JackB1 wrote:
webdanzer wrote: I see this all the time now online. Anyone figure it out? Not sure if it is a glitch, juiced stats, some equipment settings....or maybe most likely a combo of the above?

They why can't our club team score? I wasn't trying this "move" but i would imagine others are. We don't always play against human goalies, right?
My post is asking if anyone here figured it out. Unlike you, I didn't assume that folks here had.

JackB1
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by JackB1 »

Good games last night boys. Not sure if it's a glitch, but I almost never heard anyone talking except Zeppo? I don't know how we expect to win ever if nobody feels like communicating. It's a HUGE part of the game. All I heard was dead silence for 99% of the game. What's the deal? I am hoping it's just a glitch.

ScoopBrady
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by ScoopBrady »

webdanzer wrote:
ScoopBrady wrote:
RobVarak wrote:I'd be more aggravated about it if I could replicate the glitch LOL And while all the goals seemed to beat the GK the same way, they were from different spots on the ice. I agree they were up to something, but I'll be damned if I could figure it out.
All they kept doing was doing a stick move followed by a quick wrist shot. It seemed as if every time they did a stick move the goalie would commit and they'd wrist it to the opposite side. They might have been doing it from different spots on the ice (which actually scares the hell out of me since it will work anywhere) but they were doing the same thing over and over. As soon as they had a clear view of the net they'd flick the stick and then wrist it in. To make matters worse I couldn't hear any of you guys in chat. EA needs to patch this because it will ruin OTP with cpu goalies. Did you notice that in the pregame lobby as soon as they saw we didn't pick goalie that they said "Ha, we're going to kill you guys." If that was the first we saw of it then it won't be long before we keep seeing it.
I see this all the time now online. Anyone figure it out? Not sure if it is a glitch, juiced stats, some equipment settings....or maybe most likely a combo of the above?

I don't think it has anything to do with equipment or stats, it's all in the right analog stick. I think the cpu goalie reacts to dekes so if you deke from the blue line the goalie will go down in his butterfly and then you shoot opposite side. I haven't tried it because if I learned the mechanics of it I would completely ruin the single-player experience of BAP. Until this gets patched guys don't play a game without a human goalie. I just scoured youtube looking for a video of it but nobody has done one yet. I guess that's a good thing but I want EA to know there's a problem and fix it.
I am a patient boy.
I wait, I wait, I wait, I wait.
My time is water down a drain.

MACTEPsporta
Benchwarmer
Benchwarmer

Post by MACTEPsporta »

I am at work all day today, but whoever is at home can try this. If you are a lefty go left-down on the right analog stick, then up to shoot. Righties - right-down, then up to shoot.

GameSeven
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by GameSeven »

JackB1 wrote:Good games last night boys. Not sure if it's a glitch, but I almost never heard anyone talking except Zeppo? I don't know how we expect to win ever if nobody feels like communicating. It's a HUGE part of the game. All I heard was dead silence for 99% of the game. What's the deal? I am hoping it's just a glitch.
I mentioned it to you in my last game with you last night. I'd call out some of the most pertinent things, but due to the circumstances of where I play, I can't be overly chatty at 1 to 2 in the morning. Plus Gangrel is, currently, without a headset altogether.

JackB1
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by JackB1 »

GameSeven wrote: I mentioned it to you in my last game with you last night. I'd call out some of the most pertinent things, but due to the circumstances of where I play, I can't be overly chatty at 1 to 2 in the morning. Plus Gangrel is, currently, without a headset altogether.
That's understandable. I couldn't tell if it was a XBL problem or something else. No sweat. BTW, you did a very nice job in goal. Any tips for any future goalies? I haven't tried it yet. Do you react with the analog sticks?

GameSeven
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by GameSeven »

MACTEPsporta wrote:I am at work all day today, but whoever is at home can try this. If you are a lefty go left-down on the right analog stick, then up to shoot. Righties - right-down, then up to shoot.
That should toe-up a tight wrister, it still takes skill to pull off and aim consistently and in proper space. I shoot alot online and a couple of those I've netted have been of this variety. It's people who can hit it with consistency that are deadly online.

One thing I'd recommend is going into the shooting drill with your BAP and trying different flex and curve options. Working your player's skill points into it gives some proper perspective on how much deflection you need to hit your spots.

One thing that's dawned on me coincides with Rob's observations last night. Playing against CPU and human goalies are decidedly different (duh). *BUT* here is what I mean. It's apparent that there are those with proper skill/technique that can exploit CPU goalies on certain wristers that human goalies can better play the angles on. However, CPU goalies are seemingly *FAR* less prone to give out a fat rebound or to be out of position on such a rebound to give up a good second chance. Coupled with the difficulty in poking in those rebounds, crashing the net strategies seem less productive than sniping strategies angainst CPU goalies. And we appear to lack skill in the latter.

GameSeven
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by GameSeven »

JackB1 wrote:BTW, you did a very nice job in goal. Any tips for any future goalies? I haven't tried it yet. Do you react with the analog sticks?
Thanks. That was a big change from my first two trips into the nets. So, Low camera is the best to use IMHO for goaltending. One thing I discovered last night was to use the "No indicators" method of highlighting players. In this way, the *only* highlight is the puck carrier and it is either of a color for your team, or white for opponents so it is very easy to tell who's stick a puck is on as well as where the attack is coming from.

As far as controls, don't overplay the position. Big strides in the crease are reserved for desperate pays and most movement should be minor adjustements or going post to post when the play goes behind the net. Play your angles which means coming to the top of the crease and slightly beyond to face a long shot. Come out to meet breakaway shooter and try to match their speed back into the net staying square as long as possible. Desperation saves are mapped to the bumpers, but more often than not leave me out of position so their use should be done *extremely* judiciously.

As far as the right stick goes, for the most part, positioning trumps reflexes, however the right stick will be prominent on plays across the crease as you try to slide across to defend a tip or one-timer. Down on the stick will go into the butterfly which you might need if you lose site of the puck or are collapsing on a breakaway but you will be vulnerable up top.

Beyond that, practice, practice practice. Good luck...

JackB1
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by JackB1 »

MACTEPsporta wrote:I am at work all day today, but whoever is at home can try this. If you are a lefty go left-down on the right analog stick, then up to shoot. Righties - right-down, then up to shoot.
I would love to see a video on this technique, if someone is able to do one.

Also, how do you guys get your NHL videos on You tube in the first place?
Are you just recording them straight from your TV screen with a camera?

ScoopBrady
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by ScoopBrady »

GameSeven wrote:One thing that's dawned on me coincides with Rob's observations last night. Playing against CPU and human goalies are decidedly different (duh). *BUT* here is what I mean. It's apparent that there are those with proper skill/technique that can exploit CPU goalies on certain wristers that human goalies can better play the angles on. However, CPU goalies are seemingly *FAR* less prone to give out a fat rebound or to be out of position on such a rebound to give up a good second chance. Coupled with the difficulty in poking in those rebounds, crashing the net strategies seem less productive than sniping strategies angainst CPU goalies. And we appear to lack skill in the latter.
That is all well and good for the most part but neither of you are acknowledging the fact that there is a major problem/exploit that people are using online. If you are coming up the left side and the goalie is playing his angle all you have to do is do a quick deke and the goalie will go down leaving a gaping hole on the right side of the net so a quick wrister in that direction goes in a majority of the time. This can happen anywhere on the ice, all you need to do is get the goalie on one side and get him to commit for an easy opening on the opposite side. The only way to counter that is to block shots from the blue line or play the body as they enter the zone. Basically you can't let them take those shots. We are far too undisciplined in our defensive play to counteract these glitch goals. What you and Rob are talking about is sound and logical only when you're playing another team that won't use this exploit. Those numbers will start to dwindle as this phenomenon starts to spread. EA needs to address this soon.
I am a patient boy.

GameSeven
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by GameSeven »

ScoopBrady wrote:EA needs to address this soon.
I'm not disputing anything you said, just speaking from experience on games where we've taken a trashing on seemingly 'innocent' wrist shots. I don't recall seeing widespread occurence of dekeing a goalie down from the blueline. I *have* seen talented/cheeser shooters exploit a goalie in the manner I described above to the tune of half-dozen goals in a game. As I see more instances of the exploit you've described, I'm sure I will come to the same conclusion.

EDIT: Oh, one thing your post reminds me about. When you say "get the goalie to commit", one of the things we don't do enough of as a team is fake the shot to induce the goalie to commit. Perhaps the exploit you're seeing had something to do with this. After all, to deke, you drag the puck to the side. Perhaps players are toeing up until the goalie drops and freezes then picking their spot. Again, like Jack I'd need to see if we can find an example vid.

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

In all honesty I have not seen much of the so called *exploited* wristers when we play OTP, but I did noticed that on my one on one online matches, one dude scored on me easily 3 goals using that method.

nyisles16
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by nyisles16 »

10spro wrote:In all honesty I have not seen much of the so called *exploited* wristers when we play OTP, but I did noticed that on my one on one online matches, one dude scored on me easily 3 goals using that method.
One game I played in last night, the other team scored 5 goals, all using the same move. The player usually skates to the area near the faceoff circle, and does some "stick work" and shoots. It seems that the move is "money in the bank".

ScoopBrady
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by ScoopBrady »

Yeah, it's only going to get more widespread until EA fixes it. I still can't find a vid of it but people are bitching on other forums about it. I found this thread where the guy kind of describes it:

http://www.gamespot.com/xbox360/sports/ ... pid=946759
I am a patient boy.

GameSeven
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by GameSeven »

ScoopBrady wrote:I found this thread where the guy kind of describes it:

http://www.gamespot.com/xbox360/sports/ ... pid=946759
What I found interesting was this:

"inside the blue line where you double pump/toe drag"

That may lend some support that the goalie is biting on the first pump and the second is put in the empty side of the net. I'll see if I can experiment with it.

Gangrel
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Gangrel »

Ya Jack, I have no headset. The past few days have been hectic, and I've been unable to get one either. (drinking and go-karting got in the way. :P

I have decided to stick with my player though, and see if I can prove a "little man" can be good. I changed the radius on my skates, to make me more agile, so hopefully I can dance around a bit more and create space for you guys, and try nailing some passes, which I think I mostly did a good job of last night, that is when I wasn't getting rocked!!!!!

Every second or third highlight was number 21, Menchions, getting plastered, lol!!!!

edit: mic has been found, my east coast canadian accent can finally be heard on Live again. I know, you can all rest easy now!
gamertag: Ace EZ

Once a Dragon, a Dragon for life!

GameSeven
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by GameSeven »

Great games tonight guys. We finally seemed to win as much (or more) that we lost and it seemed that we got several great scoring chances in each game. Sorry if I missed any wrap-up chat after that last OT winner, but I took the opportunity to upload my first vid to EASW. Congrats to Isles on the great finish:

<embed src="http://ll-999.ea.com/sonet-easw/2.5.1.0 ... player.swf" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" flashvars="height=355&width=425&file=http://videocdn.easw.easports.com/easpo ... f"></embed>

Catch you all next time.
Last edited by GameSeven on Sun Sep 28, 2008 3:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sport73
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Sport73 »

GameSeven wrote:Great games tonight guys. We finally seemed to win as much (or more) that we lost and it seemed that we got several great scoring chances in each game. Sorry if I missed any wrap-up chat after that last OT winner, but I took the opportunity to upload my first vis to EASW. Congrats to Isles on the great finish:
Wow, now I'm sorry I didn't log on last night. What team was that in your video? Ice Dragons making the extra pass? Unselfish play? DSP must have been overtaken by an alien force.
Sport73

"Can't we all just get along? I'll turn this car around RIGHT now!"

nyisles16
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by nyisles16 »

Sport73 wrote:
GameSeven wrote:Great games tonight guys. We finally seemed to win as much (or more) that we lost and it seemed that we got several great scoring chances in each game. Sorry if I missed any wrap-up chat after that last OT winner, but I took the opportunity to upload my first vis to EASW. Congrats to Isles on the great finish:
Wow, now I'm sorry I didn't log on last night. What team was that in your video? Ice Dragons making the extra pass? Unselfish play? DSP must have been overtaken by an alien force.

LOL - those guys after the game made a "well, at least we outhit them" comment.

PS - I HATE cherry pickers!!!

GameSeven
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by GameSeven »

Sport73 wrote:Wow, now I'm sorry I didn't log on last night. What team was that in your video? Ice Dragons making the extra pass? Unselfish play? DSP must have been overtaken by an alien force.
Lol, in fact last night we had pretty good chemistry all night. In truth, we should have dismantled that last team as they had two guys cherry picking most of the time and we outshot them (quality chances too) by a 3-1 margin. Their goalie stood on his head to force scoreless overtime. Finally the clip was from a *really* poor pass that got picked off by the CPU (#21 in the vid) who led us on the break...

Great end to the night, for sure, though the highlight of the night would have to be the comeback from 2-0 down to win 4-2, including 3 third period goals. (I think I have those details correct)

Good times.

Gangrel
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Gangrel »

Ya, it was fun. For whatever reason, I lost the connection to the server in the beginning of that last game, so #21, which ordinarily is me, I guess gets taken over by the CPU on a drop?

IN any event, I guess the trick is for me not to play. ;)

I played D I think in all the games I was on for, and it was fun! Especially now that I know the classic cam/focus camera thing.

I found on game with cherry pickers it was better to have the focus on me rather then the puck though, as otherwise I tended to lose guys behind me.....

I'm still learning some tricks, so hopefully we'll all get better, but I agree, the team play was much more in effect.

Even the games we lost were ones where we performed well.

And I have to once again give myslef kudos for drawing so many penalties. Being a small guy helps sometimes. ;)

That damn Steve Strup was nothing but a goon!

edit: just rewatched the video... I am pretty sure 21 still has my last name, so I guess it does get taken over. I wonder if I get the assist? ;)
gamertag: Ace EZ

Once a Dragon, a Dragon for life!