NHL offseason thread (free agency, draft, camp, etc.)

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

EZSnappin
Starting 5
Starting 5

Post by EZSnappin »

Anyone know anything about the players in the Buffalo farm system? The Portland Pirates have switched affiliation and now we are the AHL proto-Sabres. We kept the coach here, which is good. He's a part of the community so should help sell these new players to the fans.

Sudz
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Sudz »

http://www.puckhogblog.com/2008/09/04/t ... -sleepers/

GREAT post by Tim Jung....

Tjunging It!!!

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

Nice touch for Pens fans.

http://www.globesports.com/servlet/stor ... ockey/home

It's a less than 2 weeks away from training camp. Getting pumped...

Naples39
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Naples39 »

Goalie pad changes to be minimal. No sense in beating the dead horse again. *sigh*

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2008/w ... ml?eref=T1
"The changes are subtle," says Jim Rutherford, the Carolina Hurricanes' general manager and member of the goalie equipment committee proposing the new changes. "You probably won't even notice them."

Sudz
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

WATCH!

Post by Sudz »

watch the oilers vs canucks rookie game LIVE

http://www.puckhogblog.com/2008/09/16/e ... ie-game-2/

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

I like the Blues' new third jersey! Very cool how the Arch is incorporated into the logo:

Take care,
PK

Naples39
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Naples39 »

pk500 wrote:I like the Blues' new third jersey! Very cool how the Arch is incorporated into the logo:

Take care,
PK
Missed that the other day. Good jersey.

Too bad the other news isn't so good for the Blues;
St. Louis Blues defenceman Erik Johnson is likely sidelined the entire season because of a right knee injury.

Johnson, 20, was told Tuesday by two doctors that he will need surgery to repair torn anterior cruciate and medial collateral ligaments in the knee...

Johnson suffered the injury in a freak accident during last Tuesday's team-sanctioned golf tournament, when his right foot got caught between the brake pedal and the accelerator of the golf cart he was driving.
Out 6-9 months. Devastating.

Some new rule changes too.
A change to Rule 76.2 ("Face-Offs") will place the first face-off of a power play in the defending zone of the team that committed the foul.

A change to Rule 81.1 ("Icing") states that "Any contact between opposing players while pursuing the puck on an icing must be for the sole purpose of playing the puck and not for eliminating the opponent from playing the puck. Unnecessary or dangerous contact could result in penalties being assessed to the offending player."

A change to Rule 85.5 ("Face-Off Location") provides that if a puck is shot off the goal frame, goal post or crossbar, the subsequent face-off will remain in the end zone where the puck went out of play.
If the NHL really wants to increase scoring I suggest they be a little more bold than these moves, but they make sense to me so I won't complain.

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

The new version of the "Hockey Night" theme song that TSN will use this season. Toronto Symphony played the tune:

http://www.ctvmedia.ca/tsn/

Sounds good to me!

Take care,
PK

nyisles16
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by nyisles16 »

EZSnappin wrote:Anyone know anything about the players in the Buffalo farm system? The Portland Pirates have switched affiliation and now we are the AHL proto-Sabres. We kept the coach here, which is good. He's a part of the community so should help sell these new players to the fans.
Wait - the Sabres aren't using Rochester anymore ?

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

pk500 wrote:The new version of the "Hockey Night" theme song that TSN will use this season. Toronto Symphony played the tune:

http://www.ctvmedia.ca/tsn/

Sounds good to me! Take care, PK
It'll be my ringtone. :)

nyisles16
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by nyisles16 »

Not that I think he will make the roster for my Isles, but a heartwarming story about a guy they have in camp now...

http://www.newsday.com/sports/hockey/is ... 1288.story

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

Naples:

The official reason for Johnson's injury possibly leaves out some interesting facts. Rumor has it that this was no ordinary accident.

Apparently Johnson was playing golf cart polo and collided with another cart at speed when this injury occurred. No indication whether alcohol was involved, but it doesn't take a mathematical genius to put two and two together here ...

Boys will be boys, but this was a really stupid move by Johnson, especially this close to the start of the season.

Take care,
PK

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

nyisles16 wrote:
EZSnappin wrote:Anyone know anything about the players in the Buffalo farm system? The Portland Pirates have switched affiliation and now we are the AHL proto-Sabres. We kept the coach here, which is good. He's a part of the community so should help sell these new players to the fans.
Wait - the Sabres aren't using Rochester anymore ?
Nope. Buffalo announced last year that it would be the last season with Rochester as its affiliate. The Amerks were in financial trouble last year, and Buffalo wasn't happy with the dual affiliation with Florida.

Now Florida is the sole parent club in Rochester.

Take care,
PK

macsomjrr
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by macsomjrr »

Is anyone putting together a fantasy hockey league for this year?

ScoopBrady
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by ScoopBrady »

I'm pumped for the start of the season! The Hawks drew 19,000 + for the preseason opener against the Jackets and have set a team record for season ticket sales this season with 13,000+. The UC should be rocking again this year. It's sad that a man had to die to create this kind of stir around here.
I am a patient boy.
I wait, I wait, I wait, I wait.
My time is water down a drain.

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

ScoopBrady wrote:I'm pumped for the start of the season! The Hawks drew 19,000 + for the preseason opener against the Jackets and have set a team record for season ticket sales this season with 13,000+. The UC should be rocking again this year. It's sad that a man had to die to create this kind of stir around here.
You guys will have a good & exciting team to look forward to. Along with EDM, they have the most talented group of youngsters in the West.

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

Maybe it's still early for those folks South of the border, but the new NHL commercials just rock. Very cool.

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

Nice to see Louie named captain of the Canucks. Shame he can't wear the "C," but he's still a fitting leader of that club.

Take care,
PK
"You know why I love boxers? I love them because they face fear. And they face it alone." - Nick Charles

"First on the throttle, last on the brakes." - @MotoGP Twitter signature

XBL Gamertag: pk4425

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

This just in -- ESPN has hired Melrose's replacement:

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
October 2, 2008

Matthew Barnaby Joins ESPN as NHL Analyst

Matthew Barnaby, who played 15 seasons in the National Hockey League before retiring in 2007, has joined ESPN as a studio analyst. He will appear on SportsCenter, ESPNEWS and ESPN.com, as well as other ESPN platforms. Barnaby will make his debut during the 6 p.m. ET SportsCenter on Wednesday, Oct. 8. He will generally work Wednesdays and Thursdays during the season and every game night during the playoffs.

"I am honored and privileged to have the opportunity to work for ESPN,” said Barnaby. “I've only been out of the game for a short time and I look forward to bringing cutting-edge insight to ESPN's viewers."

Mark Gross, ESPN senior vice president and managing editor, studio production, added, “Matthew will be a terrific addition to our NHL coverage. Having recently retired from the game, his experience and current perspective of the on-ice action and the strategy behind it will benefit NHL fans.”

Barnaby, a right wing, played the bulk of his career with the Buffalo Sabres (1992-1999). In 1999 he was traded to the Pittsburgh Penguins (1999-2001), and also accumulated ice time as a member of the Tampa Bay Lightning (2000-2002), New York Rangers (2001-2004), Colorado Avalanche (2003-2004) and the Chicago Blackhawks (2005-2006). He spent his final season with the Dallas Stars (2006-07). In addition to recording 300 regular-season points, Barnaby garnered a league-wide reputation as a “pest” whose fiery play quickly made him a fan favorite.

Prior to joining ESPN, Barnaby served as an analyst and commentator for NHL on TSN, most recently appearing during the 2008 Stanley Cup playoffs. Barnaby will continue in this role.

From 2007-2008, he co-hosted The Enforcers, a local show on Time Warner Cable in Buffalo, N.Y., with former Sabres teammate Rob Ray. He also worked for The Score Television Network in Toronto.

Barnaby is a native of Ottawa, Ontario. He currently resides in Buffalo with his wife and children, son, Matthew, Jr. and daughter, Taylor.

<<<<<

I'm looking forward to seeing Barnaby. He always was a colorful little sh*t on the ice, so let's hope that continues in the booth. But I hope Barnaby doesn't get too comfortable since Melrose will be back in TV within two years.

Take care,
PK
"You know why I love boxers? I love them because they face fear. And they face it alone." - Nick Charles

Naples39
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Naples39 »

I still have salty memories of 98 when the Sabres kicked out the Flyers in the first round, and Barnaby had 13 points in 15 playoff games. That was bizarre.

No idea if he's a good/interesting announcers. I'm easy to please. Just give me someone who's relatively engaging and says something other than stating the obvious (like every football analyst on ESPN).

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

pk500 wrote:Nice to see Louie named captain of the Canucks. Shame he can't wear the "C," but he's still a fitting leader of that club.

Take care,
PK
It's a rule that needs change. First goalie in over 60 years to be named Captain? Sure goalies don't go to the faceoff circle for special ceremonies, or are the dudes to go challenge a zebra for a bad call all the way to centre ice, but to not allow them to wear the C?

Loungo is our best player and he deserves it. Another keeper that comes to mind is Marty Brodeur, he well deserves the C, but I am sure because of the rules, Lou and CO decided to go the more conventional way.

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

Naples39 wrote: No idea if he's a good/interesting announcers. I'm easy to please. Just give me someone who's relatively engaging and says something other than stating the obvious (like every football analyst on ESPN).
I watched him last year on TSN duirng the playoffs and I was lukewarm with him. Not that he's bad, but he didn't necessarily inform the audience, he would know a lot about the players for obvious reasons and explain their abilities but I much prefer R. Ferraro.

How did Espn let him go is beyond me. Thankfully he's with TSN now, and in the preseason game between CAL-VAN last night he was just awesome. Neutral, precise and analizes the game like not many do. Fresh. Would not be afraid to critize a certain player neither. Very impressed.

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

Louie said he might have a "C" painted on his mask, which would be cool. How could the NHL stop him from doing that?

Also, I saw the national ads at nhl.com. Very cool, indeed. But it's only fitting that Phaneuf was kneeing the player he was checking in the ad. F*ckwad.

Take care,
PK

Gangrel
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Gangrel »

I like the Oilers ones.... (obviously)

At the end of the Gagner one it says "Some say hope comes from within, other's say it comes from London, Ontario"

The team one is even better:

"Hockey never left Edmonton.
But it certainly has returned."
gamertag: Ace EZ

Once a Dragon, a Dragon for life!