Battlefield: Bad Company, anyone?

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

Everyone seems to be upbeat for this game, so I think I am going to get it. BB is bundling it with Ninja 2 for $99, and since I am not a fan of that game, maybe I can go for a store credit. But the bundle may appeal to some of you.

grtwhtsk
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by grtwhtsk »

Happy belated B-day Scoop!

Now if only the game would get here...been good not running out and buying it.

JohnnytheSkin
Panda Cub
Panda Cub

Post by JohnnytheSkin »

I have the game and am enjoying it quite a bit...even if the squad system is wonky. I've been in a squad of four, join a ranked game, and then the squad is split. Very frustrating!

ScoopBrady
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by ScoopBrady »

grtwhtsk wrote:Happy belated B-day Scoop!

Thanks Sharky. I hope to play a little tonight but then I won't be able to until the 7th at the earliest. Hope your copy arrives soon. I also hope that you guys haven't put this one in your rearview mirrors when I get back.
I am a patient boy.
I wait, I wait, I wait, I wait.
My time is water down a drain.

Teal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Teal »

ScoopBrady wrote:
grtwhtsk wrote:Happy belated B-day Scoop!

Thanks Sharky. I hope to play a little tonight but then I won't be able to until the 7th at the earliest. Hope your copy arrives soon. I also hope that you guys haven't put this one in your rearview mirrors when I get back.
Just got it today, so I'm hoping to put some mileage on it soon...
www.trailheadoutfitters.org
trailheadoutfitters.wordpress.com
facebook.com/Intentional.Fatherhood

Teal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Teal »

Me likey... :lol:

Spooky
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Spooky »

The destructible environments are neat. Mostly eye candy but can definitely add to some strategy at times. For example, there is a map where the second set of gold crates is up on a hilltop and when defending them, there is a bit of a bottleneck section that the attackers have to go through so it is a great place to try and snipe. The problem is that that section is wooded and you can't see past the trees. No problem, start firing rockets or get a tank to mow those trees down and whamo...you now have a perfectly clear, exposed path to monitor.

One thing about this game that is frustrating though is the sense of how many bullets are needed to take someone out. This seems to be the worse case of 'I unloaded a full clip into the guy but I got taken out from 2 shots' that I have encountered in any game.
XBL Gamertag: Spooky Disco

Diablo25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Diablo25 »

Heading to the mall in a bit...I might get this one. It is between this and MGS4. Still not sure :?
XBLive Gamertag - Diablo25
PSN Name - EPDiablo25

Sport73
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Sport73 »

Diablo25 wrote:Heading to the mall in a bit...I might get this one. It is between this and MGS4. Still not sure :?
Tough call. If you'll play a lot of multi-player, I'd probably suggest Battlefield, but MGS4 is the best looking game out right now and a major single-player event. The online play is cool too.
Sport73

"Can't we all just get along? I'll turn this car around RIGHT now!"

Zeppo
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Zeppo »

Wow, so no party system? No lobby chat, or lobby for that matter? Only four guys can chat together? My interest in this game just dropped like a rock. Maybe I'll try to gamefly it or something.

macsomjrr
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by macsomjrr »

Does anyone else get the weird feeling that the graphics look a bit hazy, like there is this constant mist floating around making it difficult to see sometimes. The dust effects look nice but I feel like they've taken it too far in parts. Its might just carry over from playing COD4 as there seems to be a lot more contrast in the objects in that game.

The SP campaign is a lot of fun. The swedish developer DICE has done a great job with the sense of humor and comedy in the characters. The demolitions guy cracks me up. It is incredible how massive the maps are.

Spooky
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Spooky »

Zeppo wrote:Wow, so no party system? No lobby chat, or lobby for that matter? Only four guys can chat together? My interest in this game just dropped like a rock. Maybe I'll try to gamefly it or something.
Why...realistically, how many people do you really anticipate playing this with on a regular basis? Sure, our poker nights may not happen with this, but then again, what game (shooter) do we consistently get more than 4 players together for anyway now-a-days??? I like the fact that 3 or 4 of us can join up on any given night and play the hell out of this.

Dave
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Dave »

Quick question - how do you find gold; is it marked with an 'X' like items are on the map?

RobVarak
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by RobVarak »

I'm absolutely loving this, game! As I said earlier, the other Battlefield's have underwhelmed me, but this is such a riot. The single player is actually a lot of fun, and the style and presentation is really well done. Just dabbled in mp last night and found it to be incredibly fun as well.

The game is way more than the sum of its parts. There are several quirks, but it all meshes together so well and results in a game that is just a joy to play!
XBL Gamertag: RobVarak

"Ok I'm an elitist, but I have a healthy respect for people who don't measure up." --Aaron Sorkin

Spooky
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Spooky »

RobVarak wrote:I'm absolutely loving this, game! As I said earlier, the other Battlefield's have underwhelmed me, but this is such a riot. The single player is actually a lot of fun, and the style and presentation is really well done. Just dabbled in mp last night and found it to be incredibly fun as well.

The game is way more than the sum of its parts. There are several quirks, but it all meshes together so well and results in a game that is just a joy to play!
YES!

Fun games last night Rob.

I absolutely love this game. There is so much to it and I really think the 'squad' concept is great. Is it the ultimate 'poker' night game? Maybe not. But it is an incredible pick up and play and grab one or two buddies game (who really does poker night shooters anymore anyway?) :wink: . Communicating between 2-3 other people as opposed to everyone just shutting up because there are too many people makes a huge difference. Knowing that two other squads are communicating (or not) and doing their own thing but with the same overall objective is a neat feeling.

Teal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Teal »

So when is the official poker night?? Or do I need to be the one to put that up? :lol:

Spooky
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Spooky »

Teal wrote:So when is the official poker night?? Or do I need to be the one to put that up? :lol:
That's the thing. It can only be a total of four people. Or we just split off into two groups if it is more.

Zeppo
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Zeppo »

Yeah Teal, the game has no party system, no private rooms, you don't automatically get slotted onto the same team as the friend you join, etc. so it's not really a 'poker night-able' game, I don't think.

I'd love to get in more GTA, though! That one is fun with a big group!

RobVarak
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by RobVarak »

Zeppo wrote:Yeah Teal, the game has no party system, no private rooms, you don't automatically get slotted onto the same team as the friend you join, etc. so it's not really a 'poker night-able' game, I don't think.

I've played the last two nights online and had no problem with grouping with my friends. It's also like SR where when it does get screwed up it usually corrects after the first game. But it really still isn't ideal for a poker night. OTOH, it's perfect to play with just 1 or 2 friends so there's not a pressing need for organized play.
XBL Gamertag: RobVarak

"Ok I'm an elitist, but I have a healthy respect for people who don't measure up." --Aaron Sorkin

Spooky
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Spooky »

Zeppo wrote: you don't automatically get slotted onto the same team as the friend
That is a glitch and only happens occasionally. Hopefully it will be fixed. But the design is to have your squad stay together.

I agree that on paper it's a real bummer that there is no true party system and there are no private rooms, but in practice those things hardly matter, unless, again, you are specifically trying to get a large group together.

Teal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Teal »

Zeppo wrote:Yeah Teal, the game has no party system, no private rooms, you don't automatically get slotted onto the same team as the friend you join, etc. so it's not really a 'poker night-able' game, I don't think.

I put up a couple of threads calling for a GTA night, and got zero response. Traded it yesterday.

Teal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Teal »

Spooky wrote:
Teal wrote:So when is the official poker night?? Or do I need to be the one to put that up? :lol:
That's the thing. It can only be a total of four people. Or we just split off into two groups if it is more.
Hell, that's perfect-can't get more than 3 or 4 people to do much nowadays, anyway... :lol:

Zeppo
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Zeppo »

Teal wrote: I put up a couple of threads calling for a GTA night, and got zero response. Traded it yesterday.
Traded it in? Wow, I don't think I enjoyed more than three online adversarial MP sessions in the game so far and have been looking forward to many more. Sure seems like a lot of people on my friends list still have it and still play it.

I got BF, but I don't know if I'll be able to make a Tuesday night. Not sure if I'll be on later tonight, either, but I may.

XXXIV
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by XXXIV »

Zeppo wrote:
Teal wrote: I put up a couple of threads calling for a GTA night, and got zero response. Traded it yesterday.
Traded it in? Wow
Isnt there a download coming?

Zeppo
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Zeppo »

XXXIV wrote:
Zeppo wrote:
Traded it in? Wow
Isnt there a download coming?
Err, yeah. My understanding it that a big part of the 'exclusivity deal' MS shelled out to RockStar for included tons of DL content. Who knows if anyone will remember that. . . but one thing I am hoping for is a lot more co-op missions, because as anyone who's played with me would know, I can't get enough of that stuff.

Sorry for the threadjack. Can we split threads here?