HOCKEY NIGHT in DSP 07-08

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

Airdog, this is what happened supposedly to Fletcher last night. One of the players with a NTC contracts gave him the OK (Kubina?) to be traded today. That team supposedly was SJ, a potential SC finalist. But for whatever reason, he changed his mind today and decided to stay in hog town. It's difficult to rebuild a team when you have players that can't make up their minds, but for sure some heads are going to roll this summer if this sad franchise is to have any future.

At this point is better for TOR to finish dead last in the standings and go for the #1 pick overall in the draft.

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

One other trade I found odd was the acquisition of C. Simon to Minny. With the boogie man and T. Fedoruk they have by far the best goon line in the league. It just gives me that much more incentive to hate the Wild.

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

What other teams reportedly offered for Hossa and Richards:

Richards:
http://www.spectorshockey.net/index.php ... s&Itemid=9

Hossa:

Take care,
PK
"You know why I love boxers? I love them because they face fear. And they face it alone." - Nick Charles

"First on the throttle, last on the brakes." - @MotoGP Twitter signature

XBL Gamertag: pk4425

Naples39
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Naples39 »

pk500 wrote:What other teams reportedly offered for Hossa and Richards:

Richards:

Hossa:

Take care,
PK
Presumably the Lightning were insisting on getting a starting goalie for Richards, and the choice came down to Mike Smith, or the completely unproven Cory Schneider. Can't blame them for going with Smith.

Airdog
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Airdog »

I can't quite understand why a player like Kubina was given such a fantastic contract, with an iron-clad NTC clause, to begin with. I mean, he's been decent over his career but not THAT good. I hope that the Leafs learned something over this deadline, and that signing every player to NTC isn't exactly the best idea.
- Rob
PSN: smearobe

Feanor
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Feanor »

Yeah, I was about to ask how the hell Kubina ever got a NTC.

Airdog
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Airdog »

Feanor wrote:Yeah, I was about to ask how the hell Kubina ever got a NTC.
I think his agent asked JFJ and he looked at the board of directors, and then Kubina said, "Pretty please" and they all crumbled under that kind of pressure.

I like how Fletcher said yesterday that the "core of the team is intact" which translates to: "All of the players that wouldn't waive their NTC are still here".

I wonder if they'll re-sign Wellwood, as I'm pretty sure he's a restricted free agent this summer. I just have this sinking feeling that if he goes somewhere else he'll blow up into a very solid player with great numbers.

He's shown flashes of greatness but his penchant for no-look passes and other creative moves just don't seem to work with his third and fourth linemates who haven't seen those in quite some time, other than watching them go through their legs and onto their opponents sticks.

In addition to all that, he's also been out of shape following his sports hernia injuries and as a consequence his level of play has fallen, as well as his favour with Leafs staffers. Maurice is known to be crazy about the conditioning he puts his players through, just ask Jeff O'Neil.
- Rob
PSN: smearobe

Gangrel
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Gangrel »

In a move everybody saw coming here in Ottawa, John Paddoc was just fired, and Murray is stepping back behind the bench.

If he can work the magic, it's a good move. Paddock just didn't seem to have "it" all year long........
gamertag: Ace EZ

Once a Dragon, a Dragon for life!

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

No question that consecutive losses by a cumulative score of 9-0, including a 5-0 loss to the Leafs, doomed Paddock.

Take care,
PK
"You know why I love boxers? I love them because they face fear. And they face it alone." - Nick Charles

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

A few players started tuning Paddock out half way into the season, (remember they started so well in the beginning) most notorious R. Emery. Murray didn't have any other choice.

Gangrel
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Gangrel »

Paddock didn't handle things well at all this year.... and they both mishandled Emery. Emery should have been punished way more for all his late practices and laziness.....

I hope now that Murray is behind the bench he puts Gerber in. I have no faith in Emery at all.
gamertag: Ace EZ

Once a Dragon, a Dragon for life!

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

COL steals one in VAN with 14 seconds left in regulation as burnaby Joe Sakic ties the game and finishes the 'Nucks in a SO. A great game with all the new players making an impact. Salei and Foote just add an extra insurance for COL and Pettinger showed some good speed for VAN. Theo and Louie were outstanding all night long and I am saying watch out for those Avs, especially when Forsberg comes back and Jose keeps playing the way he's capable of. They're are not as strong as ANA, SJ or DAL in the west but they may surprise a few people in the playoffs.

To add to the all the fun at the garage a fan wins a million bucks for shooting all 15 pucks into the net in 24 seconds.

Feanor
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Feanor »

The Flyers-Senators game last night had an interesting twist. Spezza scored first for Ottawa, and Martin Biron gave him two good shoves. Supposedly it was for celebrating too long, but Biron was still annoyed from Spezza running into him the last time the teams played.

After Biron started shoving Spezza, everyone got involved, and Spezza foolishly butt-ended Coburn right in front of the refs and got tossed from the game. And the Flyers went on to score three unanswered goals for a 3-1 victory.

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

You know everything in Ottawa is coming unglued when Spezza, who I think is soft, is butt-ending guys.

Take care,
PK

Diablo25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Diablo25 »

pk500 wrote:You know everything in Ottawa is coming unglued when Spezza, who I think is soft, is butt-ending guys.

Take care,
PK
I was thinking the same thing. Hey, the way the Fly Guys have been playing I'll take a win anyway I can get it. 2 wins in a row!
XBLive Gamertag - Diablo25
PSN Name - EPDiablo25

Diablo25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Diablo25 »

WooHoo! 3rd win in a row! Biron has looked great his last three starts. Carter is player possessed also. Stay hot baby.
PSN Name - EPDiablo25

Feanor
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Feanor »

Have you all seen what happened to poor Ryan Smyth? I don't know about the legality of the hit, but the end result was pretty sickening. The Avalanche organization need to put some decent padding in ASAP.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aPphB84zMCM

Brian Boucher got a shutout in his first game for the Sharks. The Flyers gave him away for nothing just so he could get back in the NHL.

Diablo25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Diablo25 »

Feanor wrote:Have you all seen what happened to poor Ryan Smyth? I don't know about the legality of the hit, but the end result was pretty sickening. The Avalanche organization need to put some decent padding in ASAP.

Brian Boucher got a shutout in his first game for the Sharks. The Flyers gave him away for nothing just so he could get back in the NHL.
I always liked Boucher.
PSN Name - EPDiablo25

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

Sudz is being awfully quiet considering his B's have won six straight. Watch out for the B's -- they're only five points out of the Eastern Conference lead.

If Boston can finish in the top two or three in the conference, then Julien is my Jack Adams winner, hands down. Then again, Julien always has been an excellent coach. It's not his fault that Lamoriello screwed him in New Jersey.

It would be so cool to see a Jersey-Boston matchup in the playoffs. I would root so hard for the Bruins that my brain would burst, hoping that f*ck Lamoriello would go down.

Take care,
PK

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

Ouch on Smytty. He's a quality guy, a fine player. I read in the Denver paper online that Smytty walked out of the arena to be taken to the hospital for observation. That's a relief.

Hard to blame Johnson on that hit. I don't think it was dirty. Definitely a case of wrong place, wrong time, and Grapes is right -- the Pepsi Center MUST install much thicker padding at the end of the glass.

It's also about high time that hockey helmets enter the 21st century in terms of technology. Hockey players are taking shots to the head equal to some of those suffered by football players, yet the padding inside hockey helmets is only about a step above the webbed suspension inside Riddell football helmets from the 1960s.

Someone needs to look at the pneumatic-based padding technology inside modern football helmets and adapt it to hockey helmets -- now. Too many head injuries are being suffered in this great game, and someone is going to pay much too terrible of a price soon.

Take care,
PK

GameSeven
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by GameSeven »

pk500 wrote:It would be so cool to see a Jersey-Boston matchup in the playoffs. I would root so hard for the Bruins that my brain would burst, hoping that f*ck Lamoriello would go down.
Why the hate for Lams? The biggest thing that comes to mind if his influence in the division-heavy scheduling method which favors northeast teams. For that, I agree. Other than that, he's a pretty standup guy (although "standing up" my wife likens him to a garden gnome) who's accomplished a hell of a lot with the Devs.

Sudz
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Sudz »

The bruins always do this...they suck, then play ok so I get hope, then they tank for awhile, them they run off like 15 of 20 before usually ending the season losing just enough to miss the playoffs.

In Pittsburgh malkin is making Malone look like rob brown when he skated with mario.

Feanor
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Feanor »

Nice story about Paul Stastny and his father here. Looks like Paul is a fan of Rock Band and Manchester United.

http://sports.espn.go.com/espnmag/story?id=3264290

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

Feanor wrote:Have you all seen what happened to poor Ryan Smyth? I don't know about the legality of the hit, but the end result was pretty sickening. The Avalanche organization need to put some decent padding in ASAP.

I don't think it was a dirty hit. Ryan was caught at the wrong place right into the turnbuckle. Depending on the severity of his shoulder injury he could be gone between two to four weeks and then you would have to see if he's got any post concussion syndromes, setting him further back.
Foppa is skating with the team and this latest injury along with Svatos could mean the return of the Swede agaisnt the 'Nucks tomorrow.

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

AO had another career night scoring his 53 th of the season by wiping off the Bruins. Just give the Russian the Hart trophy now, amazing. WAS just played fun hockey tonight, I hope they can make it to the playoffs.