2007 NCAA Football Discussion

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

Inuyasha
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Inuyasha »

LSU should be in the title game, IMO, they're the best team in the country.

BTW, anyone from ESPN apologize for miles going to Mich story?

XXXIV
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by XXXIV »

bdunn13 wrote:True, but should the fact that a conference has a championship hurt teams in the conference when other teams like OSU don't have to play in one?

I will say this, if Notre Dame had Georgia's resume this year, Notre Dame would be a lock.
The Big 10 cheats this way...they need a championship game badly....the year when Iowa and OSU were both undefeated was a joke.

Notre Dame is just a disgrace!!! A slap in the face to any true football fan.

If we are to avoid a playoff the Big 10 and Pac 10 should at least have to have a playoff.

Jared
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jared »

That was more meant as an in general statement, since there will be a lot of discussion if a #4 UGA gets jumped (which, from what the talking heads are saying, seems likely). Nothing personal towards you.

And I've got no problems with any coach saying their team deserves a shot in the title game. Right now, UGA needs to try and sway some voters and politic...

As for UGA, I don't think they have a great case. LSU probably trumps them, being the conference champion, having a much bigger non-conference win (Va Tech vs. Ga Tech), and having both of their losses being in OT w/no blowout defeats. Va Tech doesn't jump LSU because of their head to head game, and USC doesn't jump LSU because of the Stanford loss.

Maybe one could argue that Georgia deserves it more than Ohio State...but I can't see that either.

Oh, and wouldn't a playoff w/ conference champs be nice right now...

Ohio State plays the winner of Virginia Tech/West Virginia (or Hawaii)
LSU plays the winner of USC/Oklahoma

That would be fun....
Last edited by Jared on Sun Dec 02, 2007 12:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

XXXIV
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by XXXIV »

Jared wrote: Maybe one could argue that Georgia deserves it more than Ohio State...but I can't see that either.
I dont either...but talk about backing in...OSU this year is the best example ever.

The next good team they beat will be the first.

bdunn13
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by bdunn13 »

Georgia's biggest case is they are hot and have been rolling along since they lost to UT. The biggest downer for LSU is they have been under achieving all year and lost recently. Both have similar schedule strength. OSU on the other hand is playing a weak schedule. I would not be completely shocked if the title game was UGA/LSU.

Will I be disappointed if Georgia gets left out? Sure... but on the other hand I was not expecting much this year so the fact that I would be disappointed is sort of unwarranted. Georgia has had a fantastic year.
XBL: bdunn13
PSN: bdunn13

jondiehl
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by jondiehl »

Mizzou looks like they were still hungover from beating KU last week.

What's funny is that they'll somehow drop out of a BCS bowl, and Kansas will get in, even though they just beat KU.

Effectively, Mizzou would probably have a better bowl game by losing to KU last week (assuming Oklahoma would also beat KU).

Also, if the Big 12 was like the Big 10 and had no postseason conference championship game, it would be Missouri and Ohio State for the BCS title game. :cry:

Hopefully this season will spur things along towards a playoff, but I doubt it. They need to force all 6 BCS conferences to play a conference title game, send those 6 to an 8 team playoff, throw in the best non-BCS conference team (like a Hawaii) and maybe one wildcard pick.
XBoxJon
[url=http://live.xbox.com/member/XBoxJon]Gamer Profile[/url]
[url=http://live.xbox.com/en-us/profile/MessageCenter/SendMessage.aspx?gt=XBoxJon]Send me a XBL message[/url]

XXXIV
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by XXXIV »

jondiehl wrote:Also, if the Big 12 was like the Big 10 and had no postseason conference championship game, it would be Missouri and Ohio State for the BCS title game. :cry:

That is so true and so sad....If we are to not have a playoff the Big 10 and Pac 10 should have to be made to join the other conferences in having a champ game.

OSU is getting a JOKE pass.

pigpen81
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pigpen81 »

Guys, as a non-BCS alum....this whole thing is a complete joke bordering on unfairness and illegality. To sway that much money to a select few conferences and therefore keep the nons from competing fairly...ugh!

Anyway, why couldn't the nons give a big F-You to the BCS, remove themselves from it compeltely, and make there own playoff system through the NCAA? Isn't the BCS out of the NCAA control anyway?

Once more, I could see the PAC Ten...and maybe even the Big 12 jumping the BCS ship, giving them a big F-You and joining a new system.

I could see a network throwing good money at this proposal. If this is done, it would be a gamble...but a good one to take IMO.

I know this is spewing nonsense, but I like the idea! :lol:

sportdan30
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by sportdan30 »

The Sooners dominated the second half. Mizzou looked like KU last week where Mizzou couldn't stop the opposition's offense. Daniel is officially out of the Heisman race.

OSU is not deserving of playing for the NC. What a flat out joke. Way to back in. Frankly, I don't think any team is deserving.

Inuyasha
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Inuyasha »

tonight was the only ncaa football i watched all year. only reason for this is because from the hype I've been reading over the forums and sports sites leading up to this week. I was rooting for wvu and mizzu to lose because it would validate why I had not followed NCAA CF for the last 3-4 years, because it's a fixed system and completely bullshit.

I know the NCAA wanted to make a tourney and the pac10 earlier this year said they wanted to part of it. If I were the NCAA, i would have said screw you pac10, gone ahead with it, which would have forced the pac10 to join. But instead, we have these idiotic bowl games this year. I mean, do i really want to see the Sugar Bowl this year so I can see who the 5th best team in the country is? whole thing's a joke.

snaz16
Starting 5
Starting 5

Post by snaz16 »

bdunn13 wrote:True, but should the fact that a conference has a championship hurt teams in the conference when other teams like OSU don't have to play in one?

I will say this, if Notre Dame had Georgia's resume this year, Notre Dame would be a lock.
So its OSU's fault that the SEC or the Big 12 decided to have championship games...and its all about the $$$. And the conference voted for it. Deal with it.
As a Buckeye fan living in Fla for the last 30 yrs. ,I'll be the 1st one to say there should be a playoff,but until the fans can overide the college presidents,we are stuck with what we got,and the Buckeyes are just as deserving as anyone to be in the championship game.
This was a rebuiding year for Ohio St,but don't just dismiss them like Miami did in 2002,and the old sweater vest is as good a coach as any in the country.

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

EZSnappin wrote:Wanted to beat PK to the punch - Greg Robinson gets a fourth year at Syracuse!

Link to Sports Illustrated story

Loved the stats and quotes in the article. The AP writer is completely incredulous, pointing out just how horrible Robinson has been and just how pathetic the program looks by bringing him back.

Man, only Notre Dame looks sillier than Syracuse right now. But if Robinson gets an extension then the race for laughingstock might be a tie.
It's such a disgrace that I can't even comment until now. Robinson's press conference Friday was pure comedy. He was pressed for specifics about what kind of changes he's going to make and couldn't offer any.

It's no worse than the performance that his boss, Mr. Bojangles, er, SU AD Daryl Gross, put on Wednesday when he announced that Robinson was being retained.

A reporter asked Gross -- who I firmly believe was born white but turned black during young adulthood because he's so full of sh*t -- how many wins Robinson would need to record next season to keep his job for the final year of the contract. Gross offered no number, saying there are teams with seven or eight victories in a season that are heading in the wrong direction while teams with below-.500 records might be heading in the right direction.

So, SU is heading in the right direction at 7-28 during Robinson's first three seasons? Especially when the offense and defense are ranked in the triple digits among NCAA Division I-A programs in nearly all major categories?

It's an absolute disgrace. I'm completely disgusted, and I'm far from alone with that sentiment in Central New York.

Take care,
PK
Last edited by pk500 on Sun Dec 02, 2007 1:37 am, edited 2 times in total.
"You know why I love boxers? I love them because they face fear. And they face it alone." - Nick Charles

"First on the throttle, last on the brakes." - @MotoGP Twitter signature

XBL Gamertag: pk4425

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

I'm past the point of caring about the BCS this season. It's an abject farce.

Let's see what's left on the Division I-A horizon: A ton of meaningless scrimmages disguised as bowl games and a BCS title game that is a mockery wrapped in a sham.

Thank God for the NFL.

Take care,
PK
"You know why I love boxers? I love them because they face fear. And they face it alone." - Nick Charles

"First on the throttle, last on the brakes." - @MotoGP Twitter signature

XBL Gamertag: pk4425

AcemanPR
Starting 5
Starting 5

Post by AcemanPR »

LOL, look at all these people bashing Ohio St. and The Big Ten.

The Big Ten is getting a bad wrap. 10 of their 11 teams are bowl eligible. The pressure is on the conference this year for sure! The ig Ten needs to go 5-2 at worst in their bowl games this year! Ohio State needs to make a statement and do what Florida did to them last year.

OK, enough praising the Big Ten because Ohio State is not the best team in the country. NO TEAM IN COLLEGE FOOTBALL CAN LABEL THEMSELVES AS THE BEST TEAM IN THE COUNTRY.

Yes, the SEC is the toughest conference in college football. But LSU is not the best team in the SEC. Sure, they get that "title", but they lost two unranked teams. They also got extremely lucky in two other regular season games. Tennessee "backed in" to the SEC Championship game and LSU was lucky to win that game.

In my opinion, Ohio State and Oklahoma deserve to play in the Sugar Bowl. Do not call it a National Championship game.

Anyone that wants to crown any team a National Championship this year is the dumbest mother f'er on the planet. Bottom line is a playoff system must be implemented NOW! This season was no fluke. We're going to see plenty more college football seasons like this one down the road.

So cut the crap about teams backing in, other teams deserving to be in, this year there will be no National Champion. Enjoy the bowl games and maybe the BCS will wake up and finally get college football right someday.

MizzouRah
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by MizzouRah »

I'm very disappointed in tongihts game, but it was a GREAT season full of great football.

It does suck Kansas will probably get a better bowl than we will, but other than the National Championship, I don't really care.. the rest are just bowl games.

Playoffs, playoffs, playoffs, playoffs....

Great job by OU tonight, talk about dominating the OL and DL.

AcemanPR
Starting 5
Starting 5

Post by AcemanPR »

I was pulling for Mizzou tonight too. Gary Pinkel has done a good job with that program. Unfortunately, Oklahoma had their number this year. But there is still that chance they could be split national champions. :wink:

bkrich83
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by bkrich83 »

AcemanPR wrote:LOL, look at all these people bashing Ohio St. and The Big Ten.

The Big Ten is getting a bad wrap. 10 of their 11 teams are bowl eligible. The pressure is on the conference this year for sure! The ig Ten needs to go 5-2 at worst in their bowl games this year! Ohio State needs to make a statement and do what Florida did to them last year.

OK, enough praising the Big Ten because Ohio State is not the best team in the country. NO TEAM IN COLLEGE FOOTBALL CAN LABEL THEMSELVES AS THE BEST TEAM IN THE COUNTRY.

Yes, the SEC is the toughest conference in college football. But LSU is not the best team in the SEC. Sure, they get that "title", but they lost two unranked teams. They also got extremely lucky in two other regular season games. Tennessee "backed in" to the SEC Championship game and LSU was lucky to win that game.

In my opinion, Ohio State and Oklahoma deserve to play in the Sugar Bowl. Do not call it a National Championship game.

Anyone that wants to crown any team a National Championship this year is the dumbest mother f'er on the planet. Bottom line is a playoff system must be implemented NOW! This season was no fluke. We're going to see plenty more college football seasons like this one down the road.

So cut the crap about teams backing in, other teams deserving to be in, this year there will be no National Champion. Enjoy the bowl games and maybe the BCS will wake up and finally get college football right someday.
Being bowl eligible doesn't mean a whole lot.

System is a joke, and frankly there is no team that deserves an automatic berth to the title game..

Champion by default.
-BK

wco81
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by wco81 »

What this season shows is that there are no dominant teams as in previous seasons, whether due to injury or parity or whatever.

On a local talk show, some guy from Yahoo Sports claimed that the era of dominant schools is over, because there are fewer scholarships so big schools can't park players just to prevent rivals from getting good talent.

The other reason he cited is that the spread offense also helps level the playing field.

I don't know, there are still schools which have way more talent than others. Some of the second tier schools can compete for awhile, usually early in the season, but then they lose a few key players and their competitiveness drops way off.

Mizzou looks fun with that spread offense but they're at the goal line and they couldn't use a power formation to punch it in, instead they try a QB draw from shotgun?

Spread offense may be good between the 20s but you still got to be able to play conventional football sometimes.

jondiehl
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by jondiehl »

wco81 wrote: Mizzou looks fun with that spread offense but they're at the goal line and they couldn't use a power formation to punch it in, instead they try a QB draw from shotgun?

Spread offense may be good between the 20s but you still got to be able to play conventional football sometimes.
That frustrates me to no end. Why make your QB or RB run for 6 yards just to net out 1yd. Take a freaking snap under center and power it over the line for the 3 feet that you need for a TD.
XBoxJon
[url=http://live.xbox.com/member/XBoxJon]Gamer Profile[/url]
[url=http://live.xbox.com/en-us/profile/MessageCenter/SendMessage.aspx?gt=XBoxJon]Send me a XBL message[/url]

macsomjrr
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by macsomjrr »

MizzouRah wrote: Playoffs, playoffs, playoffs, playoffs....

...PLAYOFFS!

<embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/jdUr5hF0yGc&rel=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed>

Leebo33
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Leebo33 »

bdunn13 wrote:
Leadfoot5 wrote:Nice to see my alma-matter finally win a big game. GO PITT!
McCoy has some sick talent. Has alot of hear, runs hard, is fast and fun to watch. It should be fun for Pit fans over the next 3 years watching him.
I've been watching McCoy for a few years since he went to high school in Harrisburg. He's amazing. Penn State recruited him, but I think he had academic problems (went to prep school for a year). Shady is a great kid though from everything I've heard. He had a horrific leg injury during his senior year in high school, but I think it was a clean break so there should be no problems going forward. He fumbled a lot for Pitt this year, but that's something he should be able to work on.

I totally agree with the officiating in the Pitt game. I know I'm biased because I like all things Pittsburgh, but it was bad. I'm *really* surprised they didn't throw a flag for pass interference on that long pass by White into the end zone.

Blublub
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Blublub »

AcemanPR wrote:Anyone that wants to crown any team a National Championship this year is the dumbest mother f'er on the planet. Bottom line is a playoff system must be implemented NOW! This season was no fluke. We're going to see plenty more college football seasons like this one down the road..
Call me crazy, but rather than adding more games with playoffs, I really wish they'd get rid of the whole BCS experiment and go back to the way things were. It certainly made for a lot more interesting bowl games. Right now, really what is the point of the big non-title bowl games? I sure miss the days when the Rose Bowl meant something. I'd much rather have co-champions every so often or vigorous debates over who's number one than this statistically-determined crap.

Leebo33
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Leebo33 »

pigpen81 wrote:Guys, as a non-BCS alum....this whole thing is a complete joke bordering on unfairness and illegality. To sway that much money to a select few conferences and therefore keep the nons from competing fairly...ugh!
Again, *that* is the reason we don't have a playoff! The BCS conferences are insanely profitable. Penn State is going to draw 100k fans against Coastal Carolina next year...a team that they will give peanuts to play. And someone expects them to play Texas and split the money...LOL. College football is not broken to these BCS fat cats. Which is why I'm so surprised there isn't a Big Ten title game.

There will never ever be an NCAA sanctioned football tournament. I think the best we could hope for is a "plus one" "championship" game after the bowls.

BTW, I don't think *anyone* deserves to play for a national championship game this year, but please don't tell me Ohio State is any less deserving because they didn't beat Michigan or Wisconsin again. I know there is a *chance* they could have lost, but you would have seen pretty much what you saw in the Big 12 game.

MizzouRah
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by MizzouRah »

jondiehl wrote:
wco81 wrote: Mizzou looks fun with that spread offense but they're at the goal line and they couldn't use a power formation to punch it in, instead they try a QB draw from shotgun?

That frustrates me to no end. Why make your QB or RB run for 6 yards just to net out 1yd. Take a freaking snap under center and power it over the line for the 3 feet that you need for a TD.
Pinkel has a totally different gameplayn against OU for some reason and we were HORRIBLE in the red zone. I agree with you, power the friggin ball in the endzone or throw a quick out.

seanmac31
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by seanmac31 »

This would be an interesting year for a playoff to be implemented. I'm pretty sure that the two best teams in the country are LSU and USC (when healthy and motivated, anyway). On the other hand, I don't have the slightest faith that either team would make it through a playoff to play in the final.

I wonder if we'll hear the usual crap that the fact that a lot of people are going to be talking about who should play in the national championship game shows that the system works. Because, you know, no one would talk about playoff games. Stupid.

Oh well. In the end, I don't really care. It's bad football, with the only difference being that this year there aren't 1-2 teams you can point to who aren't playing bad football. (It's like getting worked up for Triple AAA baseball.)