PES 2008 PS3 Impressions

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

dougb
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dougb »

Blublub wrote:Cloud, I'm still not real happy, but it does play a way better game overall than FIFA, so looks like I'm stuck with it. Installing to the HD, turning off commentary and stadium effects mostly eliminates slowdown. My biggest remaining gripes are the strange deflection physics, inability to change ML kits, and lack of editing modes.
Should see a fix for the strange physics when the PS3 patch comes out. PC version was afflicted by that as well and the patch has eliminated that problem entirely.

Best wishes,

Doug
"Every major sport has come under the influence of organized crime. FIFA actually is organized crime" - Charles Pierce

Macca00
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Macca00 »

Doug,

That's good to hear re: PC patch. Hopefully the PS3 version comes out soon. I played a few more games (bloody addictive) and I'm enjoying it despite the problems blub described. I actually really like the CPUs attacking play - it's very fluid with lots of cross-over play - I find I often have to defend like I would against a human player - holding down R2 to jockey/strafe a lot with defenders. I really like the slide tackles in this game.

Stadiums are ass.

EDIT: Doug - my Fouque is tied for second in Div 2 scoring with 6 goals! Is he part of the default stiffs in the PC version? I also found Macco and Hamsun also pretty useful (useful being a relative term).

dougb
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dougb »

Macca00 wrote:Doug,

That's good to hear re: PC patch. Hopefully the PS3 version comes out soon. I played a few more games (bloody addictive) and I'm enjoying it despite the problems blub described. I actually really like the CPUs attacking play - it's very fluid with lots of cross-over play - I find I often have to defend like I would against a human player - holding down R2 to jockey/strafe a lot with defenders. I really like the slide tackles in this game.

Stadiums are ass.

EDIT: Doug - my Fouque is tied for second in Div 2 scoring with 6 goals! Is he part of the default stiffs in the PC version? I also found Macco and Hamsun also pretty useful (useful being a relative term).
Yeah he's part of the default stiffs.

It's funny. When I started off with the default stiffs I had a pleasant wave of nostalgia. They're like a group of old high school friends you haven't hung around with in decades.

That wave of nostalgia is rapidly replaced by a wave of anger, disgust, and despair as Stremer misses tackle after tackle, Miranda misses his second game in a row due to 'exhaustion', Castolo misses yet another sitter, and Ivarov watches a floated header from the edge of the box fall into the net. You practically need a death grip to hang onto a draw, let alone win, and you watch the home crowds begin to thin out as game after game passes since the last time your squad won a game.

Then the down arrows start, as barely marginal players on their best form suddenly become more useless than traffic cones. Then, finally, desperation sets in as you realize that you're now in a 20 team 2nd division, and that means 38 league plus cup games with a team that'd be hard pressed winning the Special Olympics Crown.

But it's damn addictive!

Best wishes,

Doug
"Every major sport has come under the influence of organized crime. FIFA actually is organized crime" - Charles Pierce

Blublub
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Blublub »

dougb wrote:It's funny. When I started off with the default stiffs I had a pleasant wave of nostalgia. They're like a group of old high school friends you haven't hung around with in decades.

That wave of nostalgia is rapidly replaced by a wave of anger, disgust, and despair as Stremer misses tackle after tackle, Miranda misses his second game in a row due to 'exhaustion', Castolo misses yet another sitter, and Ivarov watches a floated header from the edge of the box fall into the net. You practically need a death grip to hang onto a draw, let alone win, and you watch the home crowds begin to thin out as game after game passes since the last time your squad won a game.

Then the down arrows start, as barely marginal players on their best form suddenly become more useless than traffic cones. Then, finally, desperation sets in as you realize that you're now in a 20 team 2nd division, and that means 38 league plus cup games with a team that'd be hard pressed winning the Special Olympics Crown.

But it's damn addictive!

Best wishes,

Doug
Well said, Doug. Sigh. This is why I just can't let go...

Blublub
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Blublub »

Seems as though the 2.0 PS update really helps with framerate in cut scenes and replays. It's getting to the point of playability now...
PES 2008 makes baby Jesus cry.

Blublub
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Blublub »

Swallowing my pride, I'm not afraid to admit I am starting to love the game more and more with each match. You definitely can't approach it in the same way as every other title in the series (or the way you succeed in FIFA 08). I was using the dash, press and tackle technique and was getting killed. Focusing on better positional play pays huge dividends.

Macca00
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Macca00 »

I have to agree with blub here and with what was said in the PC thread - this game is making a fool of me, it's such a cock-up in the presentation and feature department and yet the gameplay gets better the more you play.

FYI - I downloaded and played the Japanese demo of Winning Eleven 2008 and the gamespeed and gameplay are the same as the European version. The slowdown in cut-scenes is also a little better but the demo is running of the HD, obviously. I won't bother importing it.

JRod
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by JRod »

Is defense actually played this year. Or is it just up and down football where you shoulder tackled everyone.

Geez I can't take that kind of football anymore, either from FIFA or WE.
[url=http://sensiblecoasters.wordpress.com/][b]Sensible Coasters - A critique of sports games, reviews, gaming sites and news. Questionably Proofread![/b][/url]

Blublub
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Blublub »

PS3 patch is FINALLY out - still trying to download, but supposedly fixes replay stuttering, among other things.

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

Blublub wrote:PS3 patch is FINALLY out - still trying to download, but supposedly fixes replay stuttering, among other things.
Keep us updated Blub, I may take Dave's sale.

Blublub
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Blublub »

Well, finally downloaded and it's a little underwhelming. Seems to do a slightly better job reducing the stuttering during replays, but other than that I don't see many differences. Then again, I haven't had any framerate issues during gameplay once I installed to the HD. It's possible this fixes issues with SD sets, which apparently rendered it completely unplayable. Obviously that's of little interest to us here unless you have a PAL set. I still can't figure out how to register for online so haven't tested that, but over on EvoWeb a lot of folks say lag is still terrible after the patch.

10, if you're planning on getting WE and mostly play offline, I'd jump all over Dave's offer - despite all the grumbling it still plays a good game and for fifty bucks shipped you can play it a few months before the US release and still get it cheaper than when released. As far as holding out hope that Konami addresses some of the issues before US release, I wouldn't. They have never done that in the past and by most accounts the Japanese release (which they have a much larger stake in getting right) is pretty much the same as PES.

Macca00
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Macca00 »

Ditto what blub said. Doesn't change a thing IMO.

Macca00
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Macca00 »

I know this is the PS3 WE/PES thread but I thought I'd stick it here in-case anyone's interested - here's my review of the newest Winning Eleven game for the Nintendo DS;

http://www.maccasgaming.com/reviews/WEGXGDSReview.htm

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

Got my copy from Dave360 (thank you sir for the prompt shipping) and I played a couple of International exhibitions. The game prompted me to get the update right away and I am not quite sure what it was, but the rosters from the International teams are a bit behind.

I know some of you complained about the framerate but playing right off the Blu-ray disc the only framerate issue I had was during replays and cut scenes. It's bad, especially when you know you scored a beauty and you want to see how your player did it in detail, and all you see is stuttering.

Fortunately during regular gameplay, the framerate is fine and it feels like your typical PES game. Compared to Fifa 08, yes the play is quicker but not to the point where it's unplayable. However it does give you an impression that all the past sim like games have turned rather arcadey.
The ball seems weightier this year and that in itself may give some players the impression that the gameplay is faster this year, but again it doesn't affect me personally. Your top players will control and dribble the ball better than the rest.

Personally, I welcome the new ball physics but I wished it had more air feel especially when you're trying to make lob passes. The game seems to focus a lot more on offense this year, and if you're ahead in a game you better tighten up your D, because the CPU does seem to play catch up.

Visually Konami is behind EA by miles, there's no atmosphere in the games, crowds are rather boring and I wished there were more song chants.
Registering online, requires a special code, so you that you can play online, but it's sloppy. Once you enter your information, Konami tells you that your password needs a minimum of 8 letters, which is fine, but by the time you go back to the previous screen, you have to enter the 12 online character code all over again.

Overall, I am digging it, I always liked the series with a PS controller better. I just want to know (Macca or Blub) if the game plays better off the HD, mainly to see if the FM is easier on your eyes during replays.

Blublub
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Blublub »

Macca, great review on the DS version - I'll avoid that temptation at all costs.

10s, I noticed a big difference after installing to the HD - much more so than the result of the patch or anything else. I was having some framerate problems before then, but only on corners. I don't have any during gameplay at this stage. However, the rate during replays remains a joke.

10s, what was the procedure for going online? I have the code that came with the game, but did you have to register a password via PC somewhere before accessing the in-game screen, or do you just pick any old one when prompted at the log-in from the game?

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

Blublub wrote: 10s, what was the procedure for going online? I have the code that came with the game, but did you have to register a password via PC somewhere before accessing the in-game screen, or do you just pick any old one when prompted at the log-in from the game?
I registered as I chose the network option. When the screen prompts you to write down the code, you choose your own password (make sure it's at least eight letters), email is optional and off you go.

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

Boy the zebras in this game pull out the yellow cards as if their fat butts have been beaten by a bunch of mosquitoes. Having good games offline, there's still the feeling that the CPU plays catch up though.

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

For those of you that are planning to get the PS3 version, I played another online game yesterday and while jittery in some cut scenes, is not by any means unplayable. Replays though are horrible. But if you're primarily an online player, go back to Fifa. I doubt Konami made any slight improvements compared to the European release and knowing that myself, I bought it earlier and also because personally I prefer the PS controller for this particular game over the 360.

The tempo of the game is not as good as EA's product as the gameplay seems to be a tad faster than previous versions. But again, it's the overall gameplay that keeps me going back to these guys. So unless you're a big fan of PES, an online player, can stand the cheesy music and watch in disbelief how the refs are overzealous in this game, steer away from it by any means, as Fifa offers a more satisfying experience.

But if the above average graphics and typical PES gameplay is what keeps your coming to this franchise, then go for it.