Any UFC fans out there?

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

ScoopBrady
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Any UFC fans out there?

Post by ScoopBrady »

I recently wrote on the blog about becoming a new fan of the UFC and I was wondering if there are any other UFC fans around here. I just got done watching UFC 70 and was very impressed yet again. Did anyone catch the Gonzaga/Cro Cop match tonight? 8O
I am a patient boy.
I wait, I wait, I wait, I wait.
My time is water down a drain.

TCrouch
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by TCrouch »

Huge MMA fan, not just UFC, but Pride, K1, KotC, WEC, whatever is on.

The Cro Cop/Gonzaga fight ended exactly as I expected...just the wrong guy receiving the kick. That knee/ankle looked horrible when he landed. I honestly worried for a minute that he broke his neck and was paralyzed or something. To see him standing and talking, and walking under his own power after that was insane.

Really wrecks the heavyweight plan that the UFC had. Cro Cop was going to fight for the title, win the title, and then fight Fedor (the champion of Pride) in a rematch of champions. That seems shot, now.

ScoopBrady
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by ScoopBrady »

I've seen a little Pride, and I like it, I just prefer UFC for some reason (maybe the octagon?).

Yeah, if you would have told me the Cro Cop/Gonzaga fight would have ended with a big kick I would have thought Cro Cop too. Looks like Couture has his hands full. I'd really like to see Arlovski get a shot to reclaim the title in the future.

Bisping looked like an animal out there. He is very fortunate that Elvis was tired and beaten senseless when he landed that knee or else Bisping would have lost that match. If that had happened in the first round before Bisping had his way with him Elvis would have gotten the submission.

How about that Etim and Grice fight? Grice was kicking the crap out of Etim and it all changed in the matter of seconds. 8O I don't know how far Etim's strategy of winning by submission all the time will take him but it seems to be working so far for him. He's 10-0 now with no fight lasting 2 complete rounds.
I am a patient boy.

jondiehl
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by jondiehl »

TCrouch wrote: Really wrecks the heavyweight plan that the UFC had. Cro Cop was going to fight for the title, win the title, and then fight Fedor (the champion of Pride) in a rematch of champions. That seems shot, now.
I'm a big fan as well.

I think they should give Brandon Vera a shot at a title run soon, he's undefeated in the class. My brother-in-law trains with him out in San Diego and from what he tells me, Brandon is likely going to switch over to Pride once his contract with UFC is up. I don't know why he hasn't gotten a title bout yet, perhaps because he wouldn't bring PPV $$$ as he's not a "big" cut boxer type, and wins alot of bouts via tap outs.
XBoxJon
[url=http://live.xbox.com/member/XBoxJon]Gamer Profile[/url]
[url=http://live.xbox.com/en-us/profile/MessageCenter/SendMessage.aspx?gt=XBoxJon]Send me a XBL message[/url]

JackB1
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by JackB1 »

big fan here as well. Good to see the UFC gaining popularity again. I watched it all the time back in the days of Gracie.

That was some kick by Gonzaga! I too was worried that Crocop was really hurt bad. Good to see him back on his feet a few minutes later.
Nice of Spike to air this one for free.

rayray00
Mario Mendoza

Post by rayray00 »

HUGE Fan.

Went to UFC 69 in Houston - had a BLAST. Met and talked with Dana White at a private party - he's as much of a fan as anyone. Very cool guy.

If you ever have a chance, go see an event in person - it is a great time.

-Ray!!!

TCrouch
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by TCrouch »

Yeah went to the event in Vegas a couple of months ago during Cro Cop's UFC debut. Was a heck of a time, but $750 a seat is a little crazy. All the after-fight parties that you can get into are insane. Met pretty much every fighter at the event, a lot of guys from the show, fighters that weren't even fighting at that event but still hung out (Bisping, Sylvia, Joe Rogan even...that was funny).

Live is definitely an experience.

ScoopBrady
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by ScoopBrady »

Thought I'd bump this thread to tell people that tonights card will be free on Spike. Those who haven't checked out MMA in a while should check this out. There's 3 very good matchups tonight to reel you in.

Englishman Michael Bisping will be fighting his arch nemesis Matt Hamill. Hamill will look to take this to the ground while Bisping will want to stand toe to toe.

Cro Cop against Kongo is my most anticipated fight of the night even though I'm pumped for the title fight. These two are both feared strikers and this one should be entertaining as hell. I want to see if Cro Cop can rebound from his disappointment against Gonzaga. Kongo is a beast.

Then you have the Light Heavyweight title fight between Quinton Jackson and Dan Henderson who has 2 titles with Pride. Jackson caught Liddell with a right hand and Henderson is known for having a heavy right hand. This one should be interesting too.

For those who think the UFC is nothing but boring submission wrestling should check out these 3 matches. Of course, it being in London, Etim is fighting again and all he is looking to do is submit his opponent. That can still be entertaining as well as evidenced by the title fight in the WEC earlier in the week with wrestler Chase Beebe dodging about 10 submission attempts by Rani Yahya and then totally controlling the match after the first round.

Give it a shot people, I used to think the same thing but now I'm totally hooked on MMA and can't get enough of it.
I am a patient boy.

black_dynamite
Mario Mendoza

Post by black_dynamite »

Just saw the broadcast it was pretty good. I've got to say ESPN really f'd up by posting the results before the fights were shown on TV (lucky for me I didn't go on ESPN.com until after the fights were done).

(SPOILERS - for those who haven't seen anything yet)

Hamil got completely robbed by the judges against Bispin. Bispin was the hometown boy but he only won the third round he did not win that fight. That was complete garbage how Bispin was awarded the victory and he was going on about how he expected to win the fight even though he didn't. Big ups definitely go to Hamil who showed a lot of class despite the fact that he got completely robbed in the decision. UFC better clean this up for future fights.

What's the deal with Mirko Cro-Cop? Kongo completely dominated him in that entire fight. I was excited to see the upset but Cro-Cop 1-2 in UFC so far? I don't think a lot of people ever expected that.

The Jackson-Henderson fight was a great one as it went the distance. I was really surprised to see Jackson's ground working so well for him against Henderson as I expected for Henderson to completely own Jackson on the ground but that was definitely not the case here. Jackson looked great in this bout and I for one thought it was a great unification bout (the first ever for UFC).

Lastly I don't get how UFC can make their next event a PPV but yet the unification bout, the first ever for UFC be made available for free on TV? If UFC believe that people are going to go out and pay money for watching Chuck Liddell who lost not once but twice to a guy who had his unification victory aired on TV then I believe that the marketing executives need to get their heads examined because it just doesn't make any sense to me.

ScoopBrady
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by ScoopBrady »

How can one judge score the bout 30-27 in favor of Hamill and not one other score in favor of him? That was the biggest crock of s*** judges decision I've seen since Clay Guida got screwed a few back. I don't even think Bisping won one round of that fight. He was totally dominated in every capacity and he wins?

Cro Cop looked good in the first round but Konga took over the last two rounds. Mirko looked scared in the third round. He's been very disappointing in the UFC.

Jackson won but I was really hoping for Dangerous Dan to take it. It was close but Jackson controlled the middle rounds and Henderson was gassed.

Next up we get Liddell and Jardine but I'm more interested in seing Griffin against Shogun. I've seen Shogun beat the living hell out of Rampage. Griffin is just crazy enough to welcome Shogun to the UFC. I feel bad for Griffin.

When do we get Fedor in the UFC?
I am a patient boy.

hellbent
Panda Cub
Panda Cub

Post by hellbent »

Preview of the new UFC game up on ign.com today:

http://ps3.ign.com/articles/883/883337p1.html

As a MMA fan, I'm interested in the first UFC game in what seems like forever. I do have some reservations, though, as Yukes has a history of producing games with worthless "features" (especially when cranking out a yearly WWE game sequel) and focusing very little on solid gameplay. Yes, the Smackdown series is better than it has ever been, but it took, what, a decade to get halfway decent gameplay?

The original UFC on the Dreamcast was phenomenal, definitely one of the best games on the DC. Not very deep in terms of a career mode or create-a-fighter, but the gameplay was fun and challenging. The series of games on the PS2 and XBOX used variations of the same engine, but the sequels never really did a good job of expanding the career / dynasty options and the controls got a bit more slippery as time went on. It would be excellent to see a great MMA game that puts it all together - great AI, controls, collision detection, graphics, and solid features.

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

hellbent wrote:The original UFC on the Dreamcast was phenomenal, definitely one of the best games on the DC.
I can't stand UFC -- I'm an old-school boxing fan -- but you're so right about UFC being one of the best games on the DC. I played the hell out of that game, both solo and with my brother-in-law. So much fun, and really intuitive and smooth controls.

You know a title is quality when it lures in someone who has zero interest in the subject matter of that title.

Take care,
PK
"You know why I love boxers? I love them because they face fear. And they face it alone." - Nick Charles

"First on the throttle, last on the brakes." - @MotoGP Twitter signature

XBL Gamertag: pk4425

ScoopBrady
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by ScoopBrady »

Yeah, I saw the trailer over the weekend at Game Trailers and it looks very promising. I was hoping there would be a demo in time for the Griffin/Jackson fight in two weeks but it doesn't look like it with a release date of Spring 2009. Here's the trailer:

<embed src='http://videomedia.ign.com/ev/ev.swf' flashvars='object_ID=876973&downloadURL=http://xbox360movies.ign.com/xbox360/vi ... rking="all"' type='application/x-shockwave-flash' width='433' height='360' ></embed>
I am a patient boy.