Madden 08 Hands On

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

skinsfan
Utility Infielder
Utility Infielder

Post by skinsfan »

kevinpars wrote:I think that EA is watching the monthly hardware charts a whole lot more closely than they are watching 2K's development. It stands to reason that a solid Madden on the Wii that uses the controller in new and creative ways could mean a lot more to sales than anything done by 2K.

If 2K releases the best video football game ever, it won't effect Madden sales a bit - much less 10-15 percent.

Personally, if I was to pick the biggest disappointments of the upcoming summer, I would go with 2K Football and the Police reunion tour. I don't think either entity holds up as well as fans think they do.
I'm hearing real bad things about those Police shows-they are playing poorly and have bad chemistry on stage evidently.
The trailer for APF is underwhelming to say the least.The jet planes and giant animals and ho-hum graphics aren't encouraging.

seanmac31
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by seanmac31 »

kevinpars wrote:I think that EA is watching the monthly hardware charts a whole lot more closely than they are watching 2K's development. It stands to reason that a solid Madden on the Wii that uses the controller in new and creative ways could mean a lot more to sales than anything done by 2K.

If 2K releases the best video football game ever, it won't effect Madden sales a bit - much less 10-15 percent.

Personally, if I was to pick the biggest disappointments of the upcoming summer, I would go with 2K Football and the Police reunion tour. I don't think either entity holds up as well as fans think they do.
I don't know about that. I spent a few days lining up NFL 2K5 against NCAA 07, which is the best of the next gen football games, and I came away thinking that 2K5 was superior in just about every way aside from the detail on the player models. The difference wasn't cosmetic but fundamental- it just played a much sounder game of football.

My expectations are perhaps a bit lower than your average 2K fan simply because I recognize that APF 2K8 was likely put together by a relatively small team without a lot of the budget allocated to it. It's a test game to see if the franchise can be viable. It hasn't been in development for three years, and conceptually it probably came together pretty late.

That said, I've seen enough of the next gen to know that detailed player models don't count for much once the game starts. And I've been a fan of every one of 2K's offerings, save MLB 06.

JRod
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by JRod »

Wii is a factor right now. But I think as we get deeper into this generation the Wii will not be as much of a factor.

Second, the Wii version is nothing more than the old-gen version with different controls. Ya they might add more mini-games.

And have you played Madden on the Wii, it's a chore. If I'm playing football, I just want to relax with a cold one and smash some heads. In Wii, I'm flailing my arms about like I'm trying to land a plane.

This isn't the post, but I think the Wii's hype is about over. As we get deeper into this generation, I don't think the Wii controls will help to offset it's inferior graphics.
[url=http://sensiblecoasters.wordpress.com/][b]Sensible Coasters - A critique of sports games, reviews, gaming sites and news. Questionably Proofread![/b][/url]

anchester
Panda Cub
Panda Cub

Post by anchester »

despite incredible sales for the wii, the console is not a sports gaming or hardcore type console. I don't ever see sports being a big seller on the wii (unless its a mario sport).

I think APF will be very fun but i don't think that is will be as good as say nba2k7 in year one. This seems to be a test the waters type of year. IF successful, i think next years graphix will be class leading.

If its not successful, we can dread madden laziness for eternity.

Danimal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Danimal »

I've decided to stay out of this tired debate. I'll just say all 3 football games look good and I will be getting all of them. I'm really stoked about the NCAA recruiting.
Follow Me on:
YouTube - www.youtube.com/maxpixelation/
Twitch - twitch.tv/maximumpixelation
Twitter - twitter.com/maxpixelation

Wilk5280
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Wilk5280 »

You're definitely onto something. All the major development companies as scattering to games up and running on the Wii due to its better than projected sales numbers.

Also, now that the Wii definitely has a solid user base think about just the costs of developing the games. On the 360 or PS3 it could take upwards of 100 developers a year of solid development time to make a good game. The total cost to develop and produce a game on the 360 and PS3 is astronomical.

When compared to those numbers it's extremely cheap to develop a game for the Wii. They're making much more money per game sold on the Wii at 10 dollars less.

All the developers are hoping that the Wii continues this pace at which it's taken off.

seanmac31
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by seanmac31 »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vTq8DDctpT0

This video focuses on the weapons concept, and it features the first video I've seen of actual gameplay. A few observations:

-The speed of play is about twice as fast as NCAA.

-The Chargers evidently are absolutely stacked on the left side of the line, as pretty much everyone from LT to C have blocking weapon symbols (as does FB Lorenzo Neal).

-It's not a lot of footage, but it looks like the LBs actually take proper drops into zone coverage instead of taking a shallow drop and relying on superjump animations.

-The sluggish movement that plagued the next gen versions looks to be completely gone. Play is very fluid and momentum isn't exaggerated.

-EA still seems to have no idea how to animate a quarterback drop.

All in all, the game looks terrific.

ScoopBrady
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by ScoopBrady »

PRBoom wrote:When compared to those numbers it's extremely cheap to develop a game for the Wii. They're making much more money per game sold on the Wii at 10 dollars less.

All the developers are hoping that the Wii continues this pace at which it's taken off.
What are the NPD numbers like for Wii titles? Are there any non-Nintendo made Wii titles in the top 10? Traditionally third-party games don't sell very well on Nintendo systems. Unless third-party games start selling a bunch on the Wii it doesn't matter how many Wii's are sold.
I am a patient boy.
I wait, I wait, I wait, I wait.
My time is water down a drain.

Wilk5280
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Wilk5280 »

ScoopBrady wrote:
PRBoom wrote:When compared to those numbers it's extremely cheap to develop a game for the Wii. They're making much more money per game sold on the Wii at 10 dollars less.

What are the NPD numbers like for Wii titles? Are there any non-Nintendo made Wii titles in the top 10? Traditionally third-party games don't sell very well on Nintendo systems. Unless third-party games start selling a bunch on the Wii it doesn't matter how many Wii's are sold.
Good point scoop, very good point. I'm really interested to see how well Madden sells this year on the system. I think it'll be a good indicator to see if the Wii is an avenue worth focussing hard on or not for 3rd party developers. I know Madden was released on the console last year, but the system is in a lot more hands now and Madden won't have to go up against the likes of Zelda.

If the numbers are comparable to those on the PS3 we may see a pretty big swing in focus. Then again, maybe not.

I just know that the Wii si selling much better than the big 3rd party developers imagined and they had scurry to get more titles out for the system. They're taking it much more seriously now than they did prior to the system's launch. With development costs a fraction of what they are on the other two consoles, they can only hope that this thing continues to sell at a rapid pace.

Waddupcouzin
Panda Cub
Panda Cub

Post by Waddupcouzin »

ScoopBrady wrote:
JRod wrote:Remember WE was just a game to get a piece of the market and in a few countries in Europe is sells more than FIFA.
I think what you're forgetting is the fact that WE at least had similar pro teams with players that were very close. You won't see a blue and white team with Meyton Panning as the QB in APF. Don't underestimate the importance of that. The former pros are cool but outside of guys like Elway and Payton who really cares? I'll buy it day one and so will many other football game fans. They would do well to mimic what WE did.
Anthony Chau stated (I'm paraphrasing) one of the reasons they didn't do Palter Wayton is because they didn't want to be sued by the NFL, plus they would like to possibly bid for the license in the next couple of years. This was in the Media Day thread by Aholbert.

kevinpars
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by kevinpars »

Something else in that thread that was interesting to me was that 2K indicated that this would not be an every year game. It sounded to me that we may not see a followup game until 2009.

XXXIV
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by XXXIV »

kevinpars wrote:Something else in that thread that was interesting to me was that 2K indicated that this would not be an every year game. It sounded to me that we may not see a followup game until 2009.
:lol: ...Never thought of that but it actually make sense...They dont need to do a roster update.

Waddupcouzin
Panda Cub
Panda Cub

Post by Waddupcouzin »

XXXIV wrote:
kevinpars wrote:Something else in that thread that was interesting to me was that 2K indicated that this would not be an every year game. It sounded to me that we may not see a followup game until 2009.
:lol: ...Never thought of that but it actually make sense...They dont need to do a roster update.
It seems like that's all Madden sticks us with is Roster Updates. When David Ortiz said that the last best Madden Game was '04, I thought to myself, WTF?!?!? I'm a 2K fan, but these Muggs from EA need to be shot! They have basically been giving people all this BS every year about "we're doing this and that", but they're not doing a damn thing, but glorified roster updates and taking my F@cking money every year!

Yeah, I see that 2K8 is going to have a barebones game this year, but at least they're telling me this ahead a time! Madden has been doing this s*** for the last 2 Next-Gen years! Sorry for the rant. :-)

Dave
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Dave »

Waddupcouzin wrote:It seems like that's all Madden sticks us with is Roster Updates. When David Ortiz said that the last best Madden Game was '04, I thought to myself, WTF?!?!? I'm a 2K fan, but these Muggs from EA need to be shot! They have basically been giving people all this BS every year about "we're doing this and that", but they're not doing a damn thing, but glorified roster updates and taking my F@cking money every year!
There's a big difference between "not doing a damn thing" and saying that 04 was the last best version of a game. Things like the QB vision cone, which I loved but was loathed by most, were attempts at advances in the overall experience, even if they ended up not sticking.

I think a similar question could be posed to 2K hockey fans, and despite the advances in gameplay over the years, many would probably say an older version was the greatest overall.

MizzouRah
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by MizzouRah »

Waddupcouzin wrote:
XXXIV wrote:
It seems like that's all Madden sticks us with is Roster Updates. When David Ortiz said that the last best Madden Game was '04, I thought to myself, WTF?!?!? I'm a 2K fan, but these Muggs from EA need to be shot! They have basically been giving people all this BS every year about "we're doing this and that", but they're not doing a damn thing, but glorified roster updates and taking my F@cking money every year!

Yeah, I see that 2K8 is going to have a barebones game this year, but at least they're telling me this ahead a time! Madden has been doing this s*** for the last 2 Next-Gen years! Sorry for the rant. :-)
Who cares what David Ortiz says? That's why you need to wait to read impressions before buying games if you've been disappointed by x franchise.

Waddupcouzin
Panda Cub
Panda Cub

Post by Waddupcouzin »

MizzouRah wrote:
Waddupcouzin wrote:
XXXIV wrote: :lol: ...Never thought of that but it actually make sense...They dont need to do a roster update.

Who cares what David Ortiz says? That's why you need to wait to read impressions before buying games if you've been disappointed by x franchise.
Its not some much about caring what he says, it's just a crock of sh*t! I am an admitted fan of 2K football games, with that being said, since the signing of the exclusive deal, I have purchased Madden 06-07, and to me the games have been mediocre at best. I guess what bugged me out was him admitting that the best game was 4 freaking years ago! That's current gen for those keeping track at home, and to me that's some bullshit! If that's the case, why am I paying $60 per year for you to put out some s*** that you even know is sub-standard to the blessed '04 year?

As far as your comment about the Hockey game, I feel ya.

ScoopBrady
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by ScoopBrady »

Waddupcouzin wrote:I guess what bugged me out was him admitting that the best game was 4 freaking years ago! That's current gen for those keeping track at home, and to me that's some bullshit!
Nope, that's last gen. Current gen is Xbox 360, PS3, and Wii.
I am a patient boy.

Waddupcouzin
Panda Cub
Panda Cub

Post by Waddupcouzin »

ScoopBrady wrote:
Waddupcouzin wrote:I guess what bugged me out was him admitting that the best game was 4 freaking years ago! That's current gen for those keeping track at home, and to me that's some bullshit!
Nope, that's last gen. Current gen is Xbox 360, PS3, and Wii.
My bad...I thought 360 and PS3 was considered Next-Gen???

ScoopBrady
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by ScoopBrady »

I guess it's just a matter of interpretation. If you think of 360, PS3, and Wii as next-gen they are. I look at it like this though: The 360 has been out for almost 2 years now and the PS3 and Wii have been out for almost a year. Since all 3 are out and established that makes them the current gen. I think of next gen as what's on the horizon, not what's out now.
I am a patient boy.

Waddupcouzin
Panda Cub
Panda Cub

Post by Waddupcouzin »

http://xbox360.ign.com

This is why I stated Next-Gen, as opposed to current gen Xbox PS 2.

Waddupcouzin
Panda Cub
Panda Cub

Post by Waddupcouzin »

ScoopBrady wrote:I guess it's just a matter of interpretation. If you think of 360, PS3, and Wii as next-gen they are. I look at it like this though: The 360 has been out for almost 2 years now and the PS3 and Wii have been out for almost a year. Since all 3 are out and established that makes them the current gen. I think of next gen as what's on the horizon, not what's out now.
I understand what you mean.

Inuyasha
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Inuyasha »

Waddupcouzin wrote:
ScoopBrady wrote:I guess it's just a matter of interpretation. If you think of 360, PS3, and Wii as next-gen they are. I look at it like this though: The 360 has been out for almost 2 years now and the PS3 and Wii have been out for almost a year. Since all 3 are out and established that makes them the current gen. I think of next gen as what's on the horizon, not what's out now.
I understand what you mean.
I no longer will be buying football games on my 360 the first day they are out as in the previous generation. $60 is too much and like you said, IMO, we're not getting half the game as in the old gen. For example, I love Create A School feature in NCAA. The school I went to no longer has a football program so I loved creating them in that game. Last year they didnt have it, but I gave them a pass since it was the first gen version. But this year, there is no excuse not to have that feature and other features I can get from my ps2 version. Same goes with 2k8, I'm not going to pay $60 off the bat for a first gen game which doesn't have the NFL teams.

So I will wait for price drops or if I can get lucky find someone who lives near a FRy's and mail it to me.

Danimal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Danimal »

I am going to buy all 3 games, i am not even going to kid msyelf anymore I won't. Here is how i look at each one:

1. Madden - I like everything I am seeing, I like the passion this Ian guys has who is the new PM. While it won't be perfect, I think they are making some good steps and I want to see how it plays on the field.

2. NCAA - Not nearly as big a jump as madden this year, but the new recruiting looks awesome and that's enough to sell it to me right there.

3. APF2K8 - I must say I am intriqued to play with legends. I am disappointed because I was really expecting more, but I am still curious. Thye 2K5 engine plays a solid game of football, and it looks like they fixed my complaints. So I am expecting a good product.

I think all 3 games will be good this year and thats all I can ask for. Is to have good games and some different choices.
Follow Me on:
YouTube - www.youtube.com/maxpixelation/
Twitch - twitch.tv/maximumpixelation
Twitter - twitter.com/maxpixelation

GTHobbes
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by GTHobbes »

Dan, I'm glad to hear you will give APF a chance this year, since you were as hard core Madden as they came around here for a long while. I'll be really tempted to pick up Madden this year as well, now that they finally listened to our complaints from the last 3-5 years and gotten around to adding gang tackling, removing Mario Running and cutting down on the Suction Blocking. If Madden's like NCAA and only has one camera angle, though, then I think I'm still going to have to pass unfortunately. Like anybody, all I want is a couple of great football games. One in baseball is keeping me more than happy.

JRod
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by JRod »

Here's why I'm only going to rent madden. I don't buy all that improved BS they are talking about.

Two things that bother me.

Gang tackling - Has anyone seen a movie where there's a tackled or more than 2. The fact is there are only two man tackles in this game. It's better than nothing but I don't think it changes the gameplay all the much. These seems to be just an eye-candy feature.

Star Players - They aren't hyping this feature as much but listening to a movie the other day, they aren't telling anyone how it works. The XBox game has star players and all it did was give the player a ratings boost in certain areas. Or are they going to handle this like NCAA impact players where they people too good and unstoppable either on defense or offense.

All these changes are typical EA PR stuff. I'm glad they are moving forward but I'm not going to be fooled that they really did anything innovative. You are getting the same madden tweaked, with graphical two man gang tackling. That's a gamefly rental to me.
[url=http://sensiblecoasters.wordpress.com/][b]Sensible Coasters - A critique of sports games, reviews, gaming sites and news. Questionably Proofread![/b][/url]