OOTP vs. Baseball Mogul

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

LAking
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

OOTP vs. Baseball Mogul

Post by LAking »

I'm itching for some good text based sports games right now. I'll probably get Eastside Hockey Manager 2007 but i'm also feeling like some baseball. The question is whether to go with OOTP or Baseball Mogul. It's easy to find a lot of impressions for OOTP but that's not the case with baseball mogul.

I'm looking for a moderately deep game. I loved the original Eeastside Hockey manager because while it was deep it was still easy to sim through entire seasons in a few hours, allowing me to really appreciate the growth of young prospects and even see some of them retire and get elected to the hall of fame. I am dying for another game like that, be it baseball or hockey but with better trade/FA AI and a little more of a challenge.

Is OOTP similar to NHL EHM in that it takes many many hours to sim through a season because of all the micromanagement you have to do in between each and every game? Is Baseball Mogul not quite as deep but still enjoyable?
"Be tolerant of those who describe a sporting moment as their best ever. We do not lack imagination, nor have we had sad and barren lives; it is just that real life is paler, duller, and contains less potential for unexpected delirium." -Nick Hornby

MizzouRah
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by MizzouRah »

Read the forums over at Sports Mogul: www.sportsmogul.com/vbulletin2/

Clay has a reputation of fixing one thing, but breaking another. With that being said, I purchased BM 2008 because I like the simplicity of being able to find everything with ease and getting through season after season. It's nowhere as deep as ootp, and it still needs a few glaring bugs squashed, but ootp has gotten too deep for me to enjoy, so I've been playing ootp 6.51 and BM.

Hopefully, Clay keeps patching BM 2008 to a point where it's finally playable for a long career because it has a TON of potential. Although I was very disappointed with v2006 and his patches, so who knows. I'm giving him the benefit of the doubt right now because there is so much I like with this version.

Play the demo to get a feel for the game and see what you think. So far, ootp 6.51 is still my favorite baseball text sim.

MizzouRah
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by MizzouRah »

btw, Puresim is another option, but I haven't played that game since 2005.

LAking
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by LAking »

It sounds like you have the same problem with the SI games that i have, they are just too deep. There is so much stuff to worry about that it's no longer fun, it's more like a real job. I like the idea of just playing as a GM, not the coach, GM, and owner.
Hopefully, Clay keeps patching BM 2008 to a point where it's finally playable for a long career because it has a TON of potential.
Are there any career killing bugs you could name specifically?
"Be tolerant of those who describe a sporting moment as their best ever. We do not lack imagination, nor have we had sad and barren lives; it is just that real life is paler, duller, and contains less potential for unexpected delirium." -Nick Hornby

MizzouRah
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by MizzouRah »

LAking wrote:It sounds like you have the same problem with the SI games that i have, they are just too deep. There is so much stuff to worry about that it's no longer fun, it's more like a real job. I like the idea of just playing as a GM, not the coach, GM, and owner.
Hopefully, Clay keeps patching BM 2008 to a point where it's finally playable for a long career because it has a TON of potential.
Are there any career killing bugs you could name specifically?
Yes I do and that means a great game like ootp is no longer an option for me. :cry:

I haven't tried the latest patch (10.25) for BB Mogul, but the lineups were changing automatically for some reason every month or so without my own interaction.

a few others like drafted players ratings too high.. etc..

after looking at the forums, I think they are reported fixed.. I'll check it out tonight!

Leadfoot5
Starting 5
Starting 5

Post by Leadfoot5 »

Mogul still gets no love around the 'net, primarily due to it's simplicity and it's history of an immature interface and immature feature set. I've always liked it as a diversion, but this years version has really matured and is a lot of fun to play if you don't expect all the options like you get in a game like OOTP or PureSim, and are ok with a limited minor league abstraction.

The bugs that have been mentioned regarding lineups haven't affected me since I manage each game. Here's a link to my dynasty thread..

http://www.sportsmogul.com/vbulletin2/s ... p?t=142215

If you have any other questions about the games, just let me know. I'm PardresFan104 over on the Mogul boards.

MizzouRah
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by MizzouRah »

Leadfoot5 wrote:Mogul still gets no love around the 'net, primarily due to it's simplicity and it's history of an immature interface and immature feature set. I've always liked it as a diversion, but this years version has really matured and is a lot of fun to play if you don't expect all the options like you get in a game like OOTP or PureSim, and are ok with a limited minor league abstraction.

The bugs that have been mentioned regarding lineups haven't affected me since I manage each game. Here's a link to my dynasty thread..

http://www.sportsmogul.com/vbulletin2/s ... p?t=142215

If you have any other questions about the games, just let me know. I'm PardresFan104 over on the Mogul boards.
For me, it's Clay's track record of abandoning his games after release and a few patches (see BM 2006).

I agree though, this version has so much depth, but it's easy to navigate and get where I want without meaningless clicking - that I love. Everything is laid out nicely and the almanac is a great feature.

Clay seems to be patching this game very well, and I hope it continues.

Will check out your dynasty!

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

If anyone wants Baseball Mogul 2008, I will sell it for 15 shipped...it just isn't nearly as deep as OOTP. I thought I didn't want a game that was so deep, but after playing both, I always wished I could do certain things with Mogul that I could do with OOTP. So here we are.

MizzouRah
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by MizzouRah »

dbdynsty25 wrote:If anyone wants Baseball Mogul 2008, I will sell it for 15 shipped...it just isn't nearly as deep as OOTP. I thought I didn't want a game that was so deep, but after playing both, I always wished I could do certain things with Mogul that I could do with OOTP. So here we are.
Damn you! ;)

Zlax45
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Zlax45 »

MizzouRah wrote:
dbdynsty25 wrote:If anyone wants Baseball Mogul 2008, I will sell it for 15 shipped...it just isn't nearly as deep as OOTP. I thought I didn't want a game that was so deep, but after playing both, I always wished I could do certain things with Mogul that I could do with OOTP. So here we are.
Damn you! ;)
OOTP is awesome and you can turn off or have the AI handle certain things.
My xbox live name is "The Zlax45"

LAking
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by LAking »

Zlax45 wrote:
MizzouRah wrote:
Damn you! ;)
OOTP is awesome and you can turn off or have the AI handle certain things.
But if the AI handles those certain things do they do a good job or are you at a big disadvantage. When i used to play NHL EHM 2005 I would have the problem if i left training up to the coaches all my guys would just get tired and injured because they were worked too much. I really don't feel i should have to worry about details like that. Maybe if i want to groom a player to improve in certain areas but i hired a coach so I don't have to tell each and every player how to practice. I shouldn't have to babysit my coach.