PS3 Owners who have/do own a 360.....

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

fanatic
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by fanatic »

fsquid wrote:I'm assuming that you are talking about the Pro Yakazu (sp?) series?
When I first read this, I thought you said "Pro Yakuza (Japanese Mafia)". Now THAT would be a fresh take on the sport. It's Pro Yakyu Spirits I think. And yes, I heard it's fantastic....once you firgure out the menus.

RallyMonkey- Nice to hear you are happy with the purchase. One question-can you rent Blue Ray movies from Blockbuster yet? I'm not really the purchasing movie type of guy.

fsquid
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by fsquid »

that's it. I wish they would make it for PC, so I could mod it with an english patch or something. It plays a great game of baseball.

fanatic
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by fanatic »

fsquid wrote:that's it. I wish they would make it for PC, so I could mod it with an english patch or something. It plays a great game of baseball.
I was lucky enough to work in Japan for a couple of years and watch a tonne of baseball games on tv- and let me tell you, from the videos I've seen of Pro Yakyu Spirits, the presentation is spot on.

Gameplay seems pretty organic- like winning eleven (both made by Konami I believe). I'm sure in the weeks to come we'll be seeing some translation guides, etc...

I wonder if my wife would notice a trade in- "Mike, didn't your xbox used to be white?".

wco81
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by wco81 »

Netflix has Blu-Ray movies.

ScoopBrady
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by ScoopBrady »

$64.90 at Play-Asia with no region protection.

http://www.play-asia.com/paOS-13-71-bp- ... -1urj.html
I am a patient boy.
I wait, I wait, I wait, I wait.
My time is water down a drain.

Sudz
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Sudz »

will they have a WE game with the j-league?

that would get me to buy a ps3

Jared
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jared »

Sudz,

They will almost assuredly have a J-League game for the PS3. Usually the J-League games play a great game of soccer, as they get to tweak the engine a little bit and it tends to be fun playing with some weaker teams and in crappy J2 stadiums.

As for Pro Yakyu Spirits 4, I've got the PS2 version and it plays a very good game of baseball. (If anyone w/it needs help w/menus, let me know and I might be able to help....I think the PS2 and PS3 versions are very similar.)

They actually released this for the 360 last year, but I think that was a one-time thing. However, the good reviews for the PS3 version of Pro Yakuza Spirits ( :) ), and the possibility of 5000 Japanese versions of Winning Eleven released months before the US versions has me tempted to get a PS3. Unfortunately for me, the price tag is just too high to justify getting a PS3 as (essentially) a boutique import console.

Leadfoot5
Starting 5
Starting 5

Post by Leadfoot5 »

I just added a PS3 to my "family" of systems this past weekend and don't regret the purchase at all. I got the bundle at Costco which included the extra controller and MotorStorm.

I know this is a lame reason, but it came down to system "noise". You see, I needed a DVD Player for the bedroom, but also wanted a game system, so I tried using the 360 in the room, but it made just too much damn noise. Yeah, it's quieter when playing movies, but I need to keep the volume low when playing games if the wife is sleeping, but then the system is louder than the game!

So I moved the 360 downstairs (kids are happy to have a Wii-60 now), and placed the PS3 under my Samsung LCD upstairs. The system is very quiet, and the glossy black finish matches the TV.

I don't tend to buy a lot of games (just a lot of systems!). I only have 3 games for the Wii (Raving Rabbids, WarioWare, Sports), 5 games for the 360 (Burnout, Gears, MLB2K, CoD, Tiger), and now one game for the PS3. The lack of games really doesn't bother me, as I see no problem with the fact that I may only have MotorStorm, Resistance, and The Show for the PS3 until the Fall games come out.

As far as first impressions go, I'm loving how great the 1080i games look on my set. (It doesn't do 1080p).

I'm not loving the PS3 store download problems I'm having though... It seems to be my issue, but it's still a pain. Mostly becuase neither of my other systems have any issues at all.

Here's the issue, I get great performance on my wireless connection (Apple Network) when playing MP games on the PS3, but when trying to download apps from the store, the downloads slow to a crawl. If I by pass the network and plug directly into the cable modem, it becomes zippy again, so I know it has something to do with my network, but it's a drag since I don't have this problem on my network with the 360 or the Wii. And I don't think it's the wireless card in the PS3, or I'd have a problem with MP games.

Anyway, that issue aside, I'm happy with the system and am looking forward to The Show!

RallyMonkey
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by RallyMonkey »

I didn't want to start a new thread, but those of you that own it want to post your PS3 ID here? I want to start adding some friends, especially with MLB on it's way out. Sadly i am not RallyMonkey on the PS3, but rest well, i will always be RallyMonkey to you guys.

I digress, on the PS3 it's: SlapShot17

Leadfoot5
Starting 5
Starting 5

Post by Leadfoot5 »

PS3 Nickname: Leadfoot5

webdanzer
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by webdanzer »

You probably should start a thread, and then alert either Scoop or Jared to sticky it. There are friends lists for the other consoles, and any one you start here will eventually get lost.

ScoopBrady
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by ScoopBrady »

I'll make one and make it sticky if you guys don't mind reposting in it.
I am a patient boy.
I wait, I wait, I wait, I wait.
My time is water down a drain.

wco81
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by wco81 »

With the first games, the PSN name doesn't do anything for you.

It's required to get online but games like Madden for instance hasn't integrated the names or the lists.

So you can add friends and see them in the XMB. You can also see when people on your list log on and off while you're in-game. But you can't contact them unless you are in XMB.

fanatic
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by fanatic »

Since we were talking about Pro Yakyu Spirits 4 earlier in this thread, I'd thought I'd post the link to a great review of the game. Why I tempt myself like this when I don't even own a ps3, I don't know.

http://www.gameshark.com/reviews/2648/P ... its-4-.htm

webdanzer
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by webdanzer »

fanatic wrote:Since we were talking about Pro Yakyu Spirits 4 earlier in this thread, I'd thought I'd post the link to a great review of the game. Why I tempt myself like this when I don't even own a ps3, I don't know.

I know I would love this game. Cursor batting with good ball off bat physics, just the way I like it, unlike the wussy American systems... ;)

I won't get it, though, as I really don't like dealing with the translation aspect of these games. I imported a bunch of games for the ps2, and that really got in the way of the fun for me.

fanatic
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by fanatic »

webdanzer wrote:
fanatic wrote:Since we were talking about Pro Yakyu Spirits 4 earlier in this thread, I'd thought I'd post the link to a great review of the game. Why I tempt myself like this when I don't even own a ps3, I don't know.

I know I would love this game. Cursor batting with good ball off bat physics, just the way I like it, unlike the wussy American systems... ;)

I won't get it, though, as I really don't like dealing with the translation aspect of these games. I imported a bunch of games for the ps2, and that really got in the way of the fun for me.
Yeah, that would certainly take a bit of time to sort out. But my feeling is that it would be worth it, plus you'd be learning language along the way (lame, I know!).

Anyways, the thing that really caught my attention is how the reviewer said that this game makes mlb2k7 look like a ps2 game. He might be getting a bit too excited, but still, that's a good sign for owners of the ps3.

RallyMonkey
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by RallyMonkey »

How would one go about getting their hands on this? Never imported a game, actually anything, before.

grtwhtsk
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by grtwhtsk »

RallyMonkey wrote:How would one go about getting their hands on this? Never imported a game, actually anything, before.
Very easy Rally. Go to http://www.play-asia.com/ , set up an account, and order.

Sport73
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Sport73 »

Sport73

"Can't we all just get along? I'll turn this car around RIGHT now!"

RallyMonkey
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by RallyMonkey »

Just buy the friggin thing and get on with it!! (Sport and I are old friends and he's called me multiple times to tell me how close he is--someone else push him)

And to address two your negatives, as a gaming rig, yup $600 is expensive. But as an entertainment machine (including Blu-Ray), it really isn't. And for someone who has all three systems, and perhaps i'm in the minority here, but i am absolutely in the camp that the PS3 graphics are superior to that of the 360. Not so much so that it's worth paying $600, but i at least notice a difference.

Leadfoot5
Starting 5
Starting 5

Post by Leadfoot5 »

I'm with Rally. Just buy the damn thing, though I'd recommend the Costco bundle that gives you an extra controller and MotorStorm for $699.

I also own all 3 and can see myself spending more time with the PS3 than the 360. A lot of it has to do with MLB right around the corner, but much of it also has to do with my loathing of the noise the 360 generates when the CD Drive is spinning. When my friends ask about my favorite feature of the PS3, I tell them "It's quiet."

I'm also digging the PS3 interface. Yeah, the 360 "blades" are cool, but it's easier to get from point A to point B with the PS3, and not having to pay a subscription fee to play MotorStorm or Resistance on-line is nice.

I still have my doubts if it will win this generation battle as the supreme system, but when it comes to franchises like MVP, Madden, NCAA, Tiger, Burnout that I like to play, I'll be getting them for the PS3, and not the 360.

XXXIV
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by XXXIV »

Leadfoot5 wrote:I'd recommend the Costco bundle that gives you an extra controller and MotorStorm for $699.
Why do you hate us so?

sportdan30
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by sportdan30 »

Still priced at $100 more than it should be. Sure, I've toyed with purchasing one, and I've even thought of selling my 360. But then I think about it.

XBL blows PS3 online out of the water (downloads, the arcade, easier access in terms of friends list, much better and proven interface, etc.). Yeah, the PS3 online is free, but it's cr*p right now. Plus, the majority of DSP folk own the 360. But, I guess you might keep the 360 also?

I love the comments people say about the PS3. It's quiet. Shhh, guess what? Turn up your 5.1 surround sound when you're gaming on the 360, and tell me if you still hear it's engine. Or better yet, don't play the 360 in the room next to where your kids are sleeping.

The 360 controller is built a heck of a lot better and nicer(you even said it, it has rumble). I can't imagine playing a driving game or a shooter without it. I could be wrong, but isn't a rumble controller on the horizon for the PS3? It's not packaged with the system yet.

There have been complaints about how poor some the framerates are in games compared to the 360. So, why again would someone buy the PS3 game that has a poorer framerate than the 360?

Graphically it's on par or even worse than the 360. Where is Kill Zone by the way? Everyone bitches about MS and the 360s breaking down, but does anyone question Sony and their comment about how the 360 isn't true next gen?

Blu-Ray is great, but the damn movies are priced way too high right now. DVD still overshadows HD-DVD and Blu-Ray, so why make the leap right now? The Blu-Ray movie prices will come down eventually. Heck, I'm even hearing that it's pretty even when it comes to comparing HD-DVD and Blu-Ray. Imagine that.

Sure, the 360 has it's problems with breaking down, and it's an inconveinence when you have to send it in for repair, but guess what....YOU HAVE A LIFE outside of video games. I think you can get by without it for a week. Or better yet, next time buy the in store warranty. :wink:

MLB The Show just might be a smash hit, but I'm betting it'll be even better and prettier next season. The season is 30 or so games in, and the Cardinals suck. I can wait til next year to play this game. That's just me though. I burn out on baseball video games after 40 or so games in to my season.

Just out of curiousity, what other games are you interested in purchasing that's solely on the PS3?

All this said, I will buy the PS3...just not right now. Sure, it has it's allure. Shiny and black. And new! But, it just doesn't make sense right now. 600 clams, along with 60 bones for a game, and I'm guessing an extra controller, a set of component cables or whatever, and you're looking at almost the price of a Macbook! Sorry sorry, I love my Macbook. Anyways, how much time in your day, your week, your month, do you have to play the PS3, along with the Wii?

Next year, it'll be a little bit less expensive, and the games will be that much better.

In the end, do as you wish.

JRod
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by JRod »

With the PS3 wounded, I just don't see game developers migrating to the PS3 on exclusive titles. And I could care less about the console stuff. I just want fun games, which I think almost everyone is ignoring. The PS3 has zero games that I want to play. That could change if WE11:Jap is amazing. Still other than MLB what games on the PS3 are not on the 360 that are worth $600 for a new console. Not one that I can see.
[url=http://sensiblecoasters.wordpress.com/][b]Sensible Coasters - A critique of sports games, reviews, gaming sites and news. Questionably Proofread![/b][/url]

Sport73
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Sport73 »

sportdan30 wrote: But, I guess you might keep the 360 also?

I could be wrong, but isn't a rumble controller on the horizon for the PS3? It's not packaged with the system yet.

There have been complaints about how poor some the framerates are in games compared to the 360. So, why again would someone buy the PS3 game that has a poorer framerate than the 360?

Graphically it's on par or even worse than the 360. Where is Kill Zone by the way? Everyone bitches about MS and the 360s breaking down, but does anyone question Sony and their comment about how the 360 isn't true next gen?

Blu-Ray is great, but the damn movies are priced way too high right now. DVD still overshadows HD-DVD and Blu-Ray, so why make the leap right now?

YOU HAVE A LIFE outside of video games. I think you can get by without it for a week. Or better yet, next time buy the in store warranty. :wink:

MLB The Show just might be a smash hit

Just out of curiousity, what other games are you interested in purchasing that's solely on the PS3?

Shiny and black. almost the price of a Macbook! Sorry sorry, I love my Macbook. Anyways, how much time in your day, your week, your month, do you have to play the PS3, along with the Wii?

Next year, it'll be a little bit less expensive, and the games will be that much better.

In the end, do as you wish.
All good points, especially the MacBook thing; you clearly know my weaknesses.

It boils down to the SHINY, BLACK and NEW thing that attracts me most to the PS3.

I will keep the 360 (while fearing it will die again), but my thought is to sell my HD-DVD drive and the HD movies I own, which should get me half-way there. Add another $100 I already have in EB credit and you're looking at only $200 more to get the system. I have a pair of Bose NC headphones worth $200 that I never use, so that makes it almost "free", and I'm simply swapping HD-DVD for Blu-Ray (which appears to have a lead).

I won't get a second controller now (I'll wait until the one with RUMBLE comes out) and I already have an HDMI cable, so I'm not in need of any accessories.

I barely game a few times a week, and already fail to have enough time to use both my Wii and 360 with any regularity, but when I get time to play I want to enjoy it; based on my 360 stats, I've played MLB2k6 and 2k7 more than any other game in my library (except for Poker on arcade) by a wide margin, so MLB The Show is more than a little bit interesting to me.

Home intrigues the crap out of me.

The 360 is definitely next-gen, but the poor reliability worries me and pisses me off at the same time, enough so that I want to throw business Sony's way.

Still, it's the SHINY BLACK appearance, Blu-Ray playback, MLB, and the feeling (as I said in my post) that the PS3 is the console that forces you to make the fewest compromises (sort of a Jack of all, master of none mentality - admittedly) of the next gen options. Plus, it's nice to have all three and never feel like you're missing out on anything.

I could wait, but Rally already got one, and I can't let that bastard own anything I don't.

Still, I MUST BUY MY iPHONE next month, but the wife knows that's coming straight out of the bank; it's not an option it's a moral imperative. I would whore myself out and sell blood & semen to ensure my iPhone arrives at launch.

The PS3 is a 'free' trade off of HD-DVD to Blu-Ray if I can sell all my stuff, so that's the attraction and what I'll likely do.

Thanks for the great comments though. Hmmm. Macbook you say?
Sport73

"Can't we all just get along? I'll turn this car around RIGHT now!"