MotorStorm WOW

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

backbreaker
Panda Cub
Panda Cub

MotorStorm WOW

Post by backbreaker »

If you have a PS3 pick this puppy up holy mother of little baby jesus. Online is blast. Off line the AI is very brutal and smart. The graphics insane especially the mud and how the vehiles plods through it. These are early impression of about 2 hours of off line play.
Last edited by backbreaker on Wed Mar 07, 2007 11:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

Tjung'd it...not impressed.

backbreaker
Panda Cub
Panda Cub

Post by backbreaker »

dbdynsty25 wrote:Tjung'd it...not impressed.
HuH?

grtwhtsk
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by grtwhtsk »

backbreaker wrote:
HuH?
Stick around a while and you'll pick up the terminology. :wink:

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

LOL.

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

Same. ATV vs. MTX with gorgeous graphics. Yawn.

Take care,
PK
"You know why I love boxers? I love them because they face fear. And they face it alone." - Nick Charles

"First on the throttle, last on the brakes." - @MotoGP Twitter signature

XBL Gamertag: pk4425

tjung0831
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by tjung0831 »

The legend lives on....
Tim

"tjungin it"

PS4 - tjung0831
Xbox - NHLTIM

Spooky
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Spooky »

Picked it up. It sure is purty!

I like the game so far, it seems like lots of fun, but for the LOVE OF GOD can Sony ever put out a game with a decent onlne component/interface!?!?!? :evil:

The online interface is awful. I cannot figure out how to get my headset working first off. I cannot figure out how to mute people (if you don't connect your headset then you have the LOUD voices coming though and there seems to be no way to mute them). The lobbies are void of any useful info. It a complete mess and just continues to make MS's LIVE system look absolutely genius.

Pathetic.

Once you actually start racing though, it is really fun.
XBL Gamertag: Spooky Disco

wco81
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by wco81 »

Prettier graphics.

Um, what next-generation game isn't just an existing game with prettier graphics?

Which next-gen game has introduced new gameplay so far or better AI than what was previously possible?

Prettier graphics have been driving the gaming business for, like forever.

Motorstorm uses either Havok 4 or Havok 4.5. That might be a first for a driving or racing game. No the physics doesn't really affect gameplay. I don't think you can tweak the chassis and do something about the tires and so forth.

Physics are used in the crashes, how the mud and particle is thrown around and in how vehicles of different weight classes handle, especially in mud.

backbreaker
Panda Cub
Panda Cub

Post by backbreaker »

Spooky wrote:Picked it up. It sure is purty!

I like the game so far, it seems like lots of fun, but for the LOVE OF GOD can Sony ever put out a game with a decent onlne component/interface!?!?!? :evil:

The online interface is awful. I cannot figure out how to get my headset working first off. I cannot figure out how to mute people (if you don't connect your headset then you have the LOUD voices coming though and there seems to be no way to mute them). The lobbies are void of any useful info. It a complete mess and just continues to make MS's LIVE system look absolutely genius.

Pathetic.

Yeah the online interface is quirky, and I have no problems getting on and racing at any time. It was already known that VOIP was going to be standard to trash talk its part of the gaming experience.

To get your headset to work, go to options and turn on your input output devices and set them their.

Once you actually start racing though, it is really fun.

backbreaker
Panda Cub
Panda Cub

Post by backbreaker »

OK, I've spent more time with Motor Storm and the AI, the physics in this game is crazy. Its amazing how different vehicles interact with surfaces. The tracks in the game along with the other racers is an adversary as well. You have to chose the right path or the path with the least resistance, but the AI drivers will attempt to knock you off the path. You can't spend an hour with this game and get the nuances of how brutal and how smart the game is. Racing in first person with dust, dirt and mud flying everywhere all kinds of obstacles, even a little dip in the road affects your driving.

The beauty of the game is you're dropped in blind having to learn the tracks yourself, because their are no track maps which is great, because their are so many paths to take like a sand box racer. Spinning out in mud on your bike because some buggy has chose to make you go into another direction or risk a collision of death. The boost is a nice touch allowing you to be strategic when to go fast and its balanced well, cause if you abuse it, you risk explosion and here's the kicker, in Motor Storm, the winner of the race is who gets across the finish line first whether that be by vehicle or by body. Short story, I was going balls out on the boost trying to win in a close race. As we're approaching the finish line I creeping up to red and just before the finish line, I explode across the finish and was awarded the victory, I never laughed so hard, the havok enging for vehicle physics is unrivalled, the rag doll physics is crazy for the drivers.

The game suffers in the single player because it only has 8 tracks, I wished they could have reversed them to give the illusion of more tracks. Also no split screen 2 player, although gamespot just reported that a splitscreen patch is coming down the pipe as well as new modes and tracks for the online experience.

The Online experience, yes its stupid in this day and age that they don't have the basics invite p'word protected game set ups. If you can tolerate going into a lobby joining a game and its in progress you can sit their and chill(Sony dropped the ball on this one) I wouldn't mind waiting so much if they allowed you to be a spectator of the race in progress. The stupid online interface from evolution and sony is just stupid, how ever it is great to race with dedicated servers, because their isn't a inkling of slowdown anywhere and believe me their is all kinds of stuff going on with in a race of 12 different types of vehicles(Your vehicle selection is only as good as the vehicles you've unlocked in the single player game). The best way to race on a consistent basis is to find a party and just race with that party and the completion of each race, you are sent back to the party's page and the host sets up the race again.

This game is incredible period, it can not be enjoyed at a kiosk aka the t'jung way(I pick up fast...LOL). If you want to enjoy a "ARCADE" off road racer that is physics based and heavy on environment this is it. I can't wait for the sequel.

matthewk
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by matthewk »

wco81 wrote:Um, what next-generation game isn't just an existing game with prettier graphics?

Which next-gen game has introduced new gameplay so far or better AI than what was previously possible?
Wii Sports :wink:
-Matt

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

No offense, backbreaker, but aren't you the guy who wanted TCrouch and I to put terms about racing game physics in layman's terms so you could understand them in a post earlier this week? And now you're telling us authoritatively the physics of this game are sublime?

I'm glad you're enjoying the game, but I also scratch my scalp.

Take care,
PK
"You know why I love boxers? I love them because they face fear. And they face it alone." - Nick Charles

backbreaker
Panda Cub
Panda Cub

Post by backbreaker »

pk500 wrote:No offense, backbreaker, but aren't you the guy who wanted TCrouch and I to put terms about racing game physics in layman's terms so you could understand them in a post earlier this week? And now you're telling us authoritatively the physics of this game are sublime?

I'm glad you're enjoying the game, but I also scratch my scalp.

Take care,
PK
There are somethings that are just obvious, no tutorial needed. I know you guys are great with sims, thats why I posted the questions. In no way am I being "authoritative" Its just when you see something as obvious as this your brain tells you immediately why that happen because you can see it. Their is no need to scratch your scalp, I'm not ditating just stating the obvious that I saw. I bow to you guys in the subtleties.

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

backbreaker wrote:There are somethings that are just obvious, no tutorial needed. I know you guys are great with sims, thats why I posted the questions. In no way am I being "authoritative" Its just when you see something as obvious as this your brain tells you immediately why that happen because you can see it. Their is no need to scratch your scalp, I'm not ditating just stating the obvious that I saw. I bow to you guys in the subtleties.
That's cool. Glad you're enjoying the game!

Take care,
PK

Spooky
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Spooky »

Like I said before, the online options and interface SUCK ASS!

But, this game is fun as hell and has a lot going for it even with the shallow options and stripped down modes/interface.

There are sections of tracks and portions of races that seem even faster than Burnout. The balance of different vehicles is just awesome. The fact that I can compete in a big rig against someone in an ATV is so fun. It's all about taking the right path of each track for the vehicle you have. I have had some rally intense offline and online races. TOO FUN!
XBL Gamertag: Spooky Disco

ExtremeGamer
Mario Mendoza

Post by ExtremeGamer »

Spooky wrote:Like I said before, the online options and interface SUCK ASS!

But, this game is fun as hell and has a lot going for it even with the shallow options and stripped down modes/interface.

There are sections of tracks and portions of races that seem even faster than Burnout. The balance of different vehicles is just awesome. The fact that I can compete in a big rig against someone in an ATV is so fun. It's all about taking the right path of each track for the vehicle you have. I have had some rally intense offline and online races. TOO FUN!
Online play is terrible, I'll never go online with the game again. I played 4-5 straight games in different rooms with idiots yelling racial slurs and swearing like crazy the entire game. Unlike XBL, you can't mute them or even report them, so since I don't have a mic on, it's coming out my main speakers. There's not even an option to mute all talk period. So I had to mute the entire game and play in silence. I'll never be online with it again.

sportdan30
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by sportdan30 »

Sony might have free online, but wow does it sound like pure cr*p!

wco81
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by wco81 »

That's a strange design decision that they pipe the chat into the game soundtrack. And they have no sliders for changing the soundtrack or lowering various components of the audio?

That's certainly not the case with Madden.

This sounds like a game-specific issue, not something which affects all PS3 games.

There is suppose to be some kind of parental controls in the OS, which they referred to when they presented on the Home thing. One fear was kids being exposed to adult language or subject matter and they said the parental controls they already have would be applied to Home.

backbreaker
Panda Cub
Panda Cub

Post by backbreaker »

Arstechnica review, pretty similar to mine.

http://arstechnica.com/reviews/games/motorstorm.ars

Wilk5280
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Wilk5280 »

ExtremeGamer wrote:

Online play is terrible, I'll never go online with the game again. I played 4-5 straight games in different rooms with idiots yelling racial slurs and swearing like crazy the entire game. Unlike XBL, you can't mute them or even report them, so since I don't have a mic on, it's coming out my main speakers. There's not even an option to mute all talk period. So I had to mute the entire game and play in silence. I'll never be online with it again.
Extreme,
I don't have a PS3 so don't know, but would this work?

goto Menu > Accesories > Audio options > Microphone input > Turn volume off?

ExtremeGamer
Mario Mendoza

Post by ExtremeGamer »

PRBoom wrote:
ExtremeGamer wrote:

Extreme,
I don't have a PS3 so don't know, but would this work?

goto Menu > Accesories > Audio options > Microphone input > Turn volume off?
There's no option for that. If I go to Accessory, I can choose Audio, but everything is already off since I don't use a mic and don't have one registered to the machine.

Thanks though.