OT: Who are the current monsters of rock?

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

devilsjaw wrote:Weezer
Maybe 10 years ago ...

Take care,
PK
"You know why I love boxers? I love them because they face fear. And they face it alone." - Nick Charles

"First on the throttle, last on the brakes." - @MotoGP Twitter signature

XBL Gamertag: pk4425

Inuyasha
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Inuyasha »

Actually Weezer's made sort of a comeback.

I've always considered Bon Jovi more of a sissy band. U2 I've never liked either, mainly bec. it seems the media trys to push that band on us. Like it's the chosen 'in' band.

As for comtemporary bands that I may consider Monster Bands, I can think of only one : Nickelback. That's the only band I see that possibly in 20 years, you'll be talking about like Zeppelin of the 70s or Metallica of the 80s.

Sudz
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Sudz »

nickleback...

god help us.

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

Inuyasha wrote:As for comtemporary bands that I may consider Monster Bands, I can think of only one : Nickelback. That's the only band I see that possibly in 20 years, you'll be talking about like Zeppelin of the 70s or Metallica of the 80s.
That frightens the sh*t out of me. A perfect candidate for the "One of these things is not like the other" jingle from "Sesame Street."

Take care,
PK
"You know why I love boxers? I love them because they face fear. And they face it alone." - Nick Charles

James_E
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by James_E »

Inuyasha wrote:
As for comtemporary bands that I may consider Monster Bands, I can think of only one : Nickelback. That's the only band I see that possibly in 20 years, you'll be talking about like Zeppelin of the 70s or Metallica of the 80s.
8O 8O 8O

OMG. NO! That is ridiculous.

Nine Inch Nails might be a monster (or was)... but seemed a pretty big deal when "The Fragile" came out.

Among the younger kids (going based on my nephews, ranging from 14-18):

Blink 182
Radiohead (yes.. .apparently they're doing ok with the 17-18 year olds)

tjung0831
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by tjung0831 »

Daughtry
Tim

"tjungin it"

PS4 - tjung0831
Xbox - NHLTIM

Sudz
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Sudz »

tjung0831 wrote:Daughtry
monsters of ROCK...not COCK.

he gobbles it like pk gobbles giblets

JackB1
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Re: Sneaky Friday! (3/9)

Post by JackB1 »

Hey! I resemble that remark! :D

<<singing to PK: "We're just two lost souls swimming in a fish bow...year after year....."

"Obscured By Clouds">?????
<<singing to Zep" "Lucy in the Sky With Diamonds........Lucy In The Sky With Diamonds.....AHHHHHH>>>>>AHHHHHHhhhhhhhh.

Zeppo wrote: What, are you trying to 'be like Jack' with this thread? Where's the DSP Pointless forum?

I wasn't trying to Meddle, the buttons were just a little Obscured by the Clouds. You know while we're playing SC, seeking the Saucerful of Secrets, we'll all be thinking the same thing, PK: Wish You Were Here.

:)

Kissrox
Mario Mendoza

Post by Kissrox »

Music today is so fragmented. In the eighties, what a great time, you had top 40, rock/ hairmetal and the beginning of rap. They all crossed over each other. You could turn on MTV and hear new bands becasue they had videos. I have the hardest time finding new bands that I like so I stick with what I know.

For my money, a Monster of Rock is a band that takes you away from everyday life, brings back fond memories and BLOWS s*** up! If you have never seen a KISS show in full makeup (without their makeup they were very good as well, actually their stage shows were better) you are missing the true meaning of showmanship. Say what you want about their music and Gene Simmons but their shows are worth every penny. I hate bands that stand there and sing their songs and nothing else. If I wanted that I would sit in my car and listen to them on the way to work (I went to a James Taylor show and ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ...his music is great but...ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ). If I go to a rock show I want to see a SHOW, something spectacular, lights, bombs, a huge stage, etc.
XBL GAMERTAG: Kissrox

Kissrox
Mario Mendoza

Re: Sneaky Friday! (3/9)

Post by Kissrox »

JackB1 wrote:Hey! I resemble that remark! :D

<<singing to PK: "We're just two lost souls swimming in a fish bow...year after year....."

"Obscured By Clouds">?????
<<singing to Zep" "Lucy in the Sky With Diamonds........Lucy In The Sky With Diamonds.....AHHHHHH>>>>>AHHHHHHhhhhhhhh.

Zeppo wrote: What, are you trying to 'be like Jack' with this thread? Where's the DSP Pointless forum?

I wasn't trying to Meddle, the buttons were just a little Obscured by the Clouds. You know while we're playing SC, seeking the Saucerful of Secrets, we'll all be thinking the same thing, PK: Wish You Were Here.

:)
I thought the Beatles sang LITSWD and Elton John covered it....did I miss the Zepplin cover...or did I miss an inside joke?
XBL GAMERTAG: Kissrox

davet010
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by davet010 »

I hate big bands, really, because the only real way to get big is to play as close to the lowest common denominator as possible - either that, or invent a new genre, and I think we know which of those 2 is the easiest :)

Of the bands previously mentioned, there's only U2 and Green Day that I would give the time of day to.

And can I just say that I'd rather syringe bleach into my ears that listen to the Extremely Boring Chilli Peppers or Bon Jovi.

And some news in for Thom Yorke and Radiohead - Brian Eno did it 30 years before you, so give it up you self-opinionated waste of carbon.
"The players come from all over the world, the money from deep underneath the Persian Gulf, but, as another, older City poster campaign put it, this is their city. They may now exist in the global spotlight, but they intend to keep it that way."

lexbur
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by lexbur »

In a way, DSP has mirrored rock.

Back in the '70s and 80's there were "Monsters of Rock", but the music scene has become so fragmented there will probably never be "Monsters" of the music world like there used to be. Not that that's a bad thing.

DSP has gone through a similar fragmentation. Back in the "good ole days", when most folks here had the "Monster" of the gaming industry, an Xbox, plus maybe a few PS2ers, there seemed to be alot more good gaming discussion going on. Now that the gaming industry has become more fragmented (some people have Wii's, some have PSPs, some have 360s, some have PS3s, some haven't made the next-gen leap yet) it has resulted in alot more threads like this or who uses their cellphones in the crapper.

Not that that's a bad thing.

icvu42
Starting 5
Starting 5

Post by icvu42 »

The only monster of rock I was excited for this year was to see Van Halen get together. Now it looks like they won't even show up at the R'n'R Hall of Fame event next week.

Talk about a band that can't get it's act together.

Rick

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

icvu42 wrote:The only monster of rock I was excited for this year was to see Van Halen get together. Now it looks like they won't even show up at the R'n'R Hall of Fame event next week.

Talk about a band that can't get it's act together.

Rick
Eddie checked into rehab today, too:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/17525952/

Take care,
PK

Airdog
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Airdog »

Fall Out Boy :(
Green Day :?
- Rob
PSN: smearobe

Spooky
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Spooky »

First of all GREAT THREAD PK!!!!

Second...to help clarify your topic/point...the list you are trying to obtain is what I refer to as current "Large Stadium/Arena Rock Acts" that aren't nostalgia acts.

There aren't many left. I have gone over this with buddies here and there over the past couple years.

U2 (even though I don't necessarily consider them as rock)
Pearl Jam

Sh*t...I'm actually stumped after those two!?!?! 8O
XBL Gamertag: Spooky Disco

GTHobbes
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by GTHobbes »

They don't seem to get much respect around here, and nationally, they get nowhere near the respect of a U2, but the list begins and ends with the mighty Pearl Jam, IMHO.

Best American Rock Band. Best Live Band (Playboy, 2007). Nobody rocks like PJ these days.

U2 is definitely a commercial monster, and I've always loved a lot of their stuff. But the decade where Bono was The Fly and they were doing Batman soundtrack songs turned me off just a little, the same way that Our Country turned a lot of people off on Mellencamp's excellent recent cd.

PJ and U2 just played Hawaii together back in December....what a great night that must've been.

greggsand
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by greggsand »

IMO "monsters of rock" = bands who could sell-out places like Staples or MSG in the first day of sale. So...

U2
Green Day
Prince?

Who else? Nostalgia acts like Rolling Stones, McCartney, Eagles, etc.. are a whole different deal. Other bands like Wilco, Radohead, Nickelback (?), White Stripes, have to take a different approach like booking 3 nights at a medium size venue. Yes, they'll sell-out all quiclky, but their fans would never tolerate 'nose bleeds' just to see them.

There's a whole formula for 'bigger bands', but U2 and Green Day are about it for stadium sell-outs.

Feanor
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Feanor »

The Smashing Pumpkins are releasing a new album in July.

Spooky
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Spooky »

Feanor wrote:The Smashing Pumpkins are releasing a new album in July.
They would be my third choice if they were still touring. I guess I can add them to my list after this summer.

Wilk5280
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Wilk5280 »

By reading these replies it's easy to see that there just no longer are any true "monsters of rock" like there was back in the 70's, 80's and even early to mid 90's.

You can't really put people like The Smashing Pumpkins in a catagory of this. As much as I love them, the surely don't fit the bill.

I don't think Prince fits either, really.

Daughtry is certainly riding high on the American Idol train, but no way in hell can you classify him as monster of rock.

They just don't exist in this day and age, I'm afraid.

I think Metallica may be about as close as it gets, and I haven't really like them from "justice" on.

PJ may be there too, but for the most part rock bands now-a-days just come and go. They don't seem to have any true staying power.

Spooky
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Spooky »

Thought about this band today...not sure if they'd be considered "rock" though...

Dave Matthews Band

Those guys sell out stadiums and large areas/venues everywhere they go, every year pretty much.

:?:

FifaInspected
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by FifaInspected »

PK - Great topic!

You guys have all covered the major names that could be on this list. I'm looking at how different things are now than they were say in the 80's.

Back then we had very few resources for music. Radio and MTV pretty much were the only outlets for discovering new music. Now it's a whole new deal. We can fire up the Itunes store and preview any song from a zillion different artists. We can listen to independant radio online 24x7 (3wk.com) and even go to youtube to view past performances of the Grammy's or American Music Awards where the performers actually had musical talent and played real instruments. I'm assuming that tuning in the radio is the last freaking resort for most of us. We either have XM in our cars or an iPod in our pocket. For me, my moster band is an independant band called "The Long Winters"
PSN - Fifa-Inspected
XBOX - Fifa Inspected

GTHobbes
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by GTHobbes »

They're not anywhere close to being there yet, at least not in this country, but I think the Kings of Leon have a chance of becoming a monster of rock someday in the AC/DC mold. Hopefully their next album in April will contain some more of the old fashioned hard rocking done on their first two albums. I've had enough of the emo garbage that's been ruling (ruining) the rock scene. I don't want to see a return to the terrible rock that led the 80s either, and that's why I'm hoping bands like the KOL can take us back to what so many of us liked about rock in the first place.

ExtremeGamer
Mario Mendoza

Post by ExtremeGamer »

System of a Down