MLB 2K7

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

laurenskye
Starting 5
Starting 5

Post by laurenskye »

Could not have said it better spook. I used to try to hold off on a season until I got PERFECT sliders and it totally sucked most of the fun out. I still adjust some glaring errors (power in this game) but you know what. It's damn fun.

Just like I'm having with EA's hockey. Not a perfect sim but darn fun.

drbaseball
Mario Mendoza

Post by drbaseball »

laurenskye wrote:Could not have said it better spook. I used to try to hold off on a season until I got PERFECT sliders and it totally sucked most of the fun out. I still adjust some glaring errors (power in this game) but you know what. It's damn fun.

Just like I'm having with EA's hockey. Not a perfect sim but darn fun.
You guys are really tempting me to give this game a real go. I have it rented from Gamefly, and have tried an inning or two. I don't have the manual, however, and haven't been patient enough to read through the 5-7 pages of onscreen "tips."

With other baseball titles, including 07 The Show, I have reached the point where I am no longer trying to win. Rather, I am testing to see if I have arrived at the "perfect" slider set. Of course, no such set exists so it is always back to the drawing board and back to the start of the season. I really need a self-help group for this.

In truth, "slider stress" has ruined sports games in general, baseball titles specificially, for me. I long for the Earl Weaver days when I could play an entire season, hit 89 homeruns with Kevin Mitchell, and have fun through the entire process.

The challenge with sliders is the prospect that you could eventually achieve the perfect set. It never happens, of course, but I am always convincing myself that it is possible...in theory.

Hi, my name is Jeff.

webdanzer
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by webdanzer »

Spooky wrote:
Look at Web's posts..he thought he had it figured out and then completely changed his thought. Not blaming him, just stating that the games can be SO different every time with even the slightest slider adjustments.
Nah, I didn't think I had it figured out by a long shot. That's why 'hope' was the theme, not 'I got it!' :wink:

And to be fair, it was pretty drastic slider adjustments that I had made and I saw what seemed to be drastic results. Posting these things on boards like this can (maybe, sometimes!) help people figure these things out together. Why begrude people their pursuit of fun if tweaking sliders is the way they go about looking to get it?

Personally, ever person has their own preferences on what they want to tweak and what they are happy with leaving alone. I've played every winning 11 title with default names and kits, and it never bothered me one bit. That would be sacrilege to some! :)

MizzouRah
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by MizzouRah »

Hi Jeff!

I hate sliders!!

Leadfoot5
Starting 5
Starting 5

Post by Leadfoot5 »

There's an interesting psychological phenomenon at play here....

I've been playing the game non-stop and having a blast until last night when I tried out Heelfan's sliders from OS. I was still playing the same game, but I wasn't having as much fun, as I was more concerned about judging the sliders and determining if they made the game better or not. Certain aspects of the gameplay didn't feel right anymore, so I started going in and making some tweaks back to where I originally had them. This continued for about an hour until I gave up and shut down the 360.

So, for my part, other people sliders don't work at all for me on multiple levels. I can't explain it, but it starts to suck the fun out of the experience. That's not to say that I haven't made some small slider changes here and there, but it seems to "work" when they are my changes that I came up with, and not someone elses.

bkrich83
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by bkrich83 »

Yeah I no longer worry about sliders.

I have my own set. Which are basically a slightly modified version of pro default. Loaded up my rosters and away I go. I am not going to obsess over having the perfect rosters either.

No other way to put it, other than I am having a lot of FUN playing this game. And at this point, that's all that matters to me.
-BK

Slumberland
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Slumberland »

Co-sign on all the slider sentiment. I really think this is the most gut-wrenching, how-will-I-get-out-of-this-jam game of videogame baseball I think I've ever played, but whenever I start tweaking the sliders, whether it be my own adjustments or someone else's set, somehow all the fun leaks out of it. Back to default All-Star and just enjoying the game. Just won a great 5-3 battle Mets vs. Cards, where I really focused on moving my pitches up and down and managed to hold the CPU without a homerun for the first time ever.

webdanzer
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by webdanzer »

People have to realize that everyone is coming from different skill sets/desires when they approach sliders too. If I felt like Slumber, where 'I really think this is the most gut-wrenching, how-will-I-get-out-of-this-jam game of videogame baseball I think I've ever played,' I wouldn't be tweaking sliders either.

To me, I'm more in the stage of 'I can't believe I get a dozen runs, two dozen hits, and at least half a dozen homeruns on every level of this game that I've played! Do I want to spend $60 on a game on this? Is there something I can save?'

To expect everyone to have fun the same way is a little bit silly, I think.

At any rate, I generally agree that I don't tweak the little things. I'm playing the Show 07 default with I think two sliders moved at the moment and having a great time. 2k7 needs some BIG fixin,' at least as far as I'm concerned.

JRod
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by JRod »

spooky157 wrote:
Spooky wrote: Do most of you slider freaks even have ANY fun playing the games???
PLAY the game? What's he talking about? :?
Yep but the problem with this game is that a major slider tweaking is needed in some areas.

I think I could live with a major slider reworking but they are putting too many sliders in games. I think its getting a bit out of hand. Madden could use a few sliders but MLB 2k could use "smarter" sliders.

As I get older, if game needs major slider tweaking I'll just let the slider nuts do it and come back to the game later. I don't have the patience.
[url=http://sensiblecoasters.wordpress.com/][b]Sensible Coasters - A critique of sports games, reviews, gaming sites and news. Questionably Proofread![/b][/url]

kicko
Starting 5
Starting 5

Post by kicko »

Yes we are at all different levels and not knowing exactly how all the sliders work is some of the problem. I have looked at other players sliders but i enjoy making my own, its a slow cooking process but afterall the game did come out a month early so you might as well tweak to your preference before the real season starts. I remember tweaking 2k5 until i liked it, even though i had mvp for ps2 and pc i just like baseball so much i cant get enough gaming in.

what i really about this forum is no one here bitches about 2k7's flaws and all we all know what they are but still its a great game, if you go to the 2kforum its too much crying for me. This is a great balanced place to discuss games. Hi-5
Last edited by kicko on Mon Mar 05, 2007 9:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JRod
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by JRod »

ScoopBrady wrote:What's the last game you liked JRod? In any genre. :wink:
I'm a little sick and tired of dumbasses pulling this out every time there's a discussion on certain games.

I think it's clear over the years of what games are good and which ones are bad.
[url=http://sensiblecoasters.wordpress.com/][b]Sensible Coasters - A critique of sports games, reviews, gaming sites and news. Questionably Proofread![/b][/url]

MizzouRah
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by MizzouRah »

Lets mention "dynamic lighting", shall we?

Had a game where it was hazy early in the game, then it became overcast and the lights went on, 2 innings later it cleared up and the lights went back off. I love this aspect of the game!

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

JRod wrote:I'm a little sick and tired of dumbasses pulling this out every time there's a discussion on certain games.

I think it's clear over the years of what games are good and which ones are bad.
It's probably because we haven't heard you say a kind word of any game other than WE...and even that is pushing it lately. It's your own doing...I mean aren't you the self proclaimed "hardass on sports"? You brought it on yourself.

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

MizzouRah wrote:Lets mention "dynamic lighting", shall we?

Had a game where it was hazy early in the game, then it became overcast and the lights went on, 2 innings later it cleared up and the lights went back off. I love this aspect of the game!
I actually think it's way overdone. It's cool the first time or two you see it, then it's just annoying. Hell, playing the game in the afternoon at my house makes it damn near impossible to see the game because it's so damn dark, then light, then dark again. It's a little over the top...obviously for dramatic reasons.

Gurantsu
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Gurantsu »

I mess with sliders a bit, but only when I see something happening consistantly that is making the game less fun for me.

I saw a lot of HR's, lots of robbed HR's, and couldn't connect with a ball if it was glued to the bat (much like real life). Now after messing around with sliders, the HR's are toned down, I'm getting hits, and having a blast. My games are now very low scoring, and I'll no doubt adjust some more as I get more familiar with the game and get better at it, but I just want the games to be competitive. I'm getting to a point where the game feels like a real baseball game to me, it gets me tense and makes me cheer, and thats all I want from it. I am having a ton of fun just picking 2 random teams and playing a game of ball, I don't know when the last time I did that was.

Just another little chrome that I thought was cool; my pitcher for the Bucs Duke gets a hit, and is on first wearing his warm-up jacket. On the next ball in play he performs an absolutely ugly head-first slide into second base (he was safe too!) When he got back to the mound in the next inning, his pants were almost totally covered with dirt, and his jersey was nice and clean.
2319!

Gamertag: "Gurantsu"

ScoopBrady
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by ScoopBrady »

JRod wrote:
ScoopBrady wrote:What's the last game you liked JRod? In any genre. :wink:
I'm a little sick and tired of dumbasses pulling this out every time there's a discussion on certain games.

So I'm a dumbass, heh? Well, at least I enjoy my hobby. When I read a steady flow of negative posts from the same guy, no matter what the game is, I think to myself that maybe that guy should quit playing games. That said, I think I'll go back and hug im, and squeeze im, and call him George. :roll:
I am a patient boy.
I wait, I wait, I wait, I wait.
My time is water down a drain.

kicko
Starting 5
Starting 5

Post by kicko »

the sliders i posted before are updated http://2ksports.com/forums/showthread.php?t=110902

i have tried them and they seem real nice, after on mine i seemed to be having the cpu swing at too many pitches and the AI pitching was not changing it up enough(but i still swing at everything)

JackB1
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by JackB1 »

Some thoughts about sliders...

I would rather have them in there than not, because you can tweak if you choose and not if you don't. I prefer to play the game on a middle level and then just see how things play out for a few games and make some general adjustments from there. You don't have to get too crazy with them and you can still have fun with the game.

Some general tweaks I think 2K7 needs are:
-pitch speed......raise or lower depending on pers. preference
-power - definitley lower this down to at least 40 or lower
-contact - lower if you aren't striking out enough...raise if you are.
-o/f speed - lower to stop all the robbed HR's and over the shoulder catches
-i/f speed - lower to get some rollers thru the infield.
-o/f arms - lower to get more extra base hits

just some general tweaks are all that's needed to make the game more enjoyable. it's not horrible out of the box, but it definitely needs a little
slider TLC :D

black_dynamite
Mario Mendoza

Post by black_dynamite »

Well since everyone else has posted their opinions of the game I should do the same.

I picked the PS3 version of the game the day it came out from EB. I was definitely skeptical about the game since I played the 360 version of the game and absolutely HATED it. The game was a complete mess and I didn't think that 2K7 would deliver. However seeing all the previews and screenshots of the game I really wanted to try it out so I caved in and traded in some games and added some cash and got the game.

The verdict, I am really, really happy that I got this game. I am so incredibly addicted to this game it's not even funny. You'd probably have to beat the crap out of me to get me to stop playing this game. I've always liked baseball games but I have never been this addicted to a baseball game in my life. I can't believe this is the same team that released the crapfest that was 2K6. The differences in the two games are night and day.

The visuals of the game are absolutely amazing. So many of the players are dead on comparisons to their real life counterparts such as with the accessories they wear, the look of the players themselves as well as their mannerisms such as their pre-bat ritutals, the way they swing the bat as well as their home run celebrations. I really can't believe how much they were able to do in one year. It just goes to show just how amazing 2K Sports really are compared to their competition.

This is without question the best baseball game I have ever played. The scary part about it is this is only year one in a three year plan to improve the series. It's only going to get better next year and the year after. As baseball enthusiasts we have a lot to be excited about.

Bill_Abner
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Bill_Abner »

They are a necessary evil. Just looking at MLB 2K7, if you couldn't change:

Pitch Speed
Outfielder Run Speed
Outfielder Arm Strength
Baserunnng Speed
CPU Take Pitch (both Ball and Strike) frequency
CPU Throw Ball
CPU/Human Hitting Power
CPU Throw Aggression
CPU/Human Pitcher Fatigue

To me, these are the key slider edits and if you couldn't mess with that stuff you'd have a significantly different game. I still think MLB 2K7 is very rough around the edges but if I couldn't tweak some of its basic gameplay elements, I'd have already shelved it. As is, I'm playing it pretty much daily despite its issues, thanks in part to the ability to edit the things I felt were goofy out of the box. So, yeah, people that edit sliders can in fact play and enjoy a game.
No High Scores:
http://www.nohighscores.com/

Spooky
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Spooky »

JackB1 wrote:Some thoughts about sliders...

I would rather have them in there than not, because you can tweak if you choose and not if you don't. I prefer to play the game on a middle level and then just see how things play out for a few games and make some general adjustments from there. You don't have to get too crazy with them and you can still have fun with the game.

Some general tweaks I think 2K7 needs are:
-pitch speed......raise or lower depending on pers. preference
-power - definitley lower this down to at least 40 or lower
-contact - lower if you aren't striking out enough...raise if you are.
-o/f speed - lower to stop all the robbed HR's and over the shoulder catches
-i/f speed - lower to get some rollers thru the infield.
-o/f arms - lower to get more extra base hits

just some general tweaks are all that's needed to make the game more enjoyable. it's not horrible out of the box, but it definitely needs a little
slider TLC :D
Good post and summary. I think these are valid. And I do see the value in sliders for each person to adjust for THEIR liking and style! It just gets so crazy with people tweaking and tweaking to get the perfect overall game, every game.

The problem is that people cannot just set them and then forget about them and play for fun. The only playing that gets done after slider changes are to test the changes, not to play and have fun.
XBL Gamertag: Spooky Disco

Gurantsu
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Gurantsu »

Thats the trick; tweak when you notice something, not when you're looking for something.
2319!

Gamertag: "Gurantsu"

JackB1
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by JackB1 »

Hey Bill....glad to see you are having fun with this game.
Could you post your tweaks here or on your blog site?

Have you tried The Show07 yet? I am curious what you think oif that game, since it seems so similiar to High Heat, with updated graphics and
MUCH better hitting animations :D

Bill_Abner wrote:They are a necessary evil. Just looking at MLB 2K7, if you couldn't change:

Pitch Speed
Outfielder Run Speed
Outfielder Arm Strength
Baserunnng Speed
CPU Take Pitch (both Ball and Strike) frequency
CPU Throw Ball
CPU/Human Hitting Power
CPU Throw Aggression
CPU/Human Pitcher Fatigue

To me, these are the key slider edits and if you couldn't mess with that stuff you'd have a significantly different game. I still think MLB 2K7 is very rough around the edges but if I couldn't tweak some of its basic gameplay elements, I'd have already shelved it. As is, I'm playing it pretty much daily despite its issues, thanks in part to the ability to edit the things I felt were goofy out of the box. So, yeah, people that edit sliders can in fact play and enjoy a game.

Bill_Abner
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Bill_Abner »

JackB1 wrote:
Have you tried The Show07 yet? I am curious what you think oif that game, since it seems so similiar to High Heat, with updated graphics and
MUCH better hitting animations :D
I played The Show the past 2 years and enjoyed it quite a bit, but since I don't have a PS2 anymore and have zero interest in the PS3, I'm Show-less this year.
No High Scores:
http://www.nohighscores.com/

webdanzer
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by webdanzer »

Spooky wrote: The problem is that people cannot just set them and then forget about them and play for fun. The only playing that gets done after slider changes are to test the changes, not to play and have fun.
Who are these 'people' you choosing to speak for, here? If I weren't having any fun when I sat down to play the game, I wouldn't be sitting down to play. Before every pitch of every game, I assure you that my goal is to play and have fun, and anything and everything else is secondary.

And, on the slider note:

Woo-Hoo! I've had 5 great games in a row. What makes it even more appealing is that they were split against Boston and Tampa bay, and I had had good results with them against both good and bad pitching, and great to okay hitting.

And fun. Lots of fun.