OT: Superman Returns IGN Review (EA/Tiburon rant)

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

GTHobbes
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

OT: Superman Returns IGN Review (EA/Tiburon rant)

Post by GTHobbes »

http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/747/747285p1.html

The score's a 5.5.

Is there anyone in the industry that does less with more than EA/Tiburon? I'll never figure out what EA sees in Tiburon. I'm guessing the higher ups of the 2 companies are long time friends or something. It's like a Haliburton deal...wads of cash go to EA and Tiburon, but there's no real perceived benefit involved for anyone else.

dave360
Mario Mendoza

Post by dave360 »

I agree. I wasn't impressed with the demo and the game went from being a rental to "I'm not even wasting one of my free rental coupons from Blockbuster to rent it" games. The only game Tiburon has been involved with that's worth a damn is NCAA to me (if they even do NCAA anymore). Madden has suffered greatly due to no competition and a lax attitude from both EA and Tiburon.

Teal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Teal »

I'm tired of EA's lazy assed attitude toward improving anything. Their mantra seems to be 'lets just buy all the licenses to everything so that we don't have to work anymore.'

The only EA game I own now is Tiger 07, and that likely won't change unless EA gets off its keister and does something new and innovative. I won't take another year of mild 'updates' that feel exactly like they did 5 years ago.

Here's hoping all that 'exclusitivity' crap goes away soon, so competition can drive sports games other than those that EA doesn't own sole rights to back into excellence...
www.trailheadoutfitters.org
trailheadoutfitters.wordpress.com
facebook.com/Intentional.Fatherhood

WillHunting
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by WillHunting »

The on foot section/fighting is so weak, I don't feel like Superman, I feel like a giant float on one of the Thanksgiving parade in NYC. The control in this game absolutely blows.

anchester
Panda Cub
Panda Cub

Post by anchester »

its EA....what do you expect. The whole company's premise is marketing first, minimize development costs, port to as many consoles as possible, sequalize and movie tie everything, and program for the lowest common denominator.

Dont ever buy EA games.

DivotMaker
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by DivotMaker »

anchester wrote:its EA....what do you expect. The whole company's premise is marketing first, minimize development costs, port to as many consoles as possible, sequalize and movie tie everything, and program for the lowest common denominator.
Can't disagree with that because it is mostly true.
anchester wrote:Dont ever buy EA games.
Could not disagree more. You can tar brush the entire company all you like, but you can't escape the fact that there are a number of their games which do awfully well both criticially and commercially. And in some of their 360 games, they are showing signs of catering to a more mature audience (Tiger Woods 07 for example).

Kazuya
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Kazuya »

I don't know, I kept on dutifully playing and for whatever reason I started liking it more. They had it on sale at Fry's yesterday for $39 and a friend of mine picked it up. I'm hoping to get a chance to play it some more.
"Whatever, I don't know why you even play yourself to that degree,
you laugh at me?" - Del

"Said the whisper to the secret..." - King's X

webdanzer
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by webdanzer »

Kazuya wrote:I don't know, I kept on dutifully playing and for whatever reason I started liking it more. They had it on sale at Fry's yesterday for $39 and a friend of mine picked it up. I'm hoping to get a chance to play it some more.
I actually found the demo to be 'okay' as well. Reminded me a lot of the spiderman games, wonky combat and all. By no means did I think it was a great game, but I've seen worse.

Kazuya
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Kazuya »

webdanzer wrote:
Kazuya wrote:I don't know, I kept on dutifully playing and for whatever reason I started liking it more. They had it on sale at Fry's yesterday for $39 and a friend of mine picked it up. I'm hoping to get a chance to play it some more.
I actually found the demo to be 'okay' as well. Reminded me a lot of the spiderman games, wonky combat and all. By no means did I think it was a great game, but I've seen worse.
Right, Spider-Man 2 was highly praised, but the combat was just as goofy, with Spidey hard to control with his combos and flailing all over the place.

But yeah, it was very Spidey like with the little icons showing you of trouble and Superman making snappy banter and all. I really liked the flight, the super cold breath effect (and how you can strafe with it and the heat vision too)... and of course the Super Speed. I could see myself playing through it, but it could be the comic geek in me making it into a more interesting game than it is.
"Whatever, I don't know why you even play yourself to that degree,
you laugh at me?" - Del

"Said the whisper to the secret..." - King's X