Emergence Day (GOW)

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

PadresFan104
Panda Cub
Panda Cub

Post by PadresFan104 »

Like the rest of you, I'm having an absolute blast with this game on-line. In the past, I've only played shooters in Deathmatch mode where it's everyone for themselves. This game doesn't offer that, but it's the first game that I've played that makes the team aspect really, really fun.

I'd love to get in on some late night DSP games. I'm usually on after 9pm or so... (PST)

Al
XBL: Leadfoot5

Blublub
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Blublub »

Thanks for the bezerker tips Zepp - I'll give them a shot.

Now that I've figured out that you spectate a full game until someone drops online makes perfect sense. It is definitely the most gratifying online experience I've ever had - no lag whatsoever and those gorgeous graphics. The action is almost too much - nothing like thinking you have the perfect sniping spot only to have a guy with the chainsaw sneak up on you from behind.

Believe the hype. Let's get a DSP poker night going soon guys.

Brando70
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Brando70 »

Definitely grabbing this over the weekend (waiting to use some Best Buy coupons) so I hope we get a poker night going. Thanks for all the impressions.

Diablo25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Diablo25 »

Damnit! My order didn't arrive today so I'll have to wait until the weekend to play. I have a playoff football game tomorrow and I won't be in until very late. I'd be happy to light some of you up over the weekend :)
XBLive Gamertag - Diablo25
PSN Name - EPDiablo25

Teal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Teal »

8O Berserkers...good lord! I'm glad you jumped into my game and showed me what to do, Zepp, or I'd still be tryin' to figger it out...some really unsettling stuff right there. They made those friggin' things very believable and real...I'll have a nightmare about having one of those monstrosities running me down soon, I just know it... :wink:
www.trailheadoutfitters.org
trailheadoutfitters.wordpress.com
facebook.com/Intentional.Fatherhood

PadresFan104
Panda Cub
Panda Cub

Post by PadresFan104 »

Zepp - Thanks for the invite last night. Had a great time, as those were some fun matches! Gotta start learning where the grenades and sniper rifles are....

Al
XBL: Leadfoot5

grtwhtsk
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by grtwhtsk »

Finally got it last night, and I am awful! Sure hope I get better...feeling frustrated by dying so often. I know you can't just run and shoot, but I'm just totally spazzing (is that a word??) with the controls!

Teal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Teal »

Gotta love EA-they never learn:

http://news.teamxbox.com/xbox/12218/Eur ... rs-of-War/

So, basically, they've got Army of Two coming out soon, and are pulling a Kelly Flock manuever here to try and drum up early support for it by bashing in GOW.

I'm looking forward to AoT, but c'mon...if the game can't stand on it's own, I don't know...
www.trailheadoutfitters.org
trailheadoutfitters.wordpress.com
facebook.com/Intentional.Fatherhood

JackB1
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by JackB1 »

Just picked this up last night and am looking forward to trying it out tonite.
The reviews I have been reading have me chomping at the bit. This game sounds nothing short of phenominal. Every review says "The 360 finally has it's sytsem seller" or something to that effect.

Between GOW, COD3, Fear, Rainbow 3 (coming), the 360 is looking mighty good for shooter fans!

Fshguy
Starting 5
Starting 5

Post by Fshguy »

Anybody besides me have a heck of a time getting past the end of Act 3 on Hardcore?

I just got to the beginning of Act 5, talk about a mindblowing visual!!!

Zeppo
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Zeppo »

Playing single player is just too boring for me. I love this game co-op, however, and think it's tremendous. So, I haven't got to the end of Act 3 yet, heck I'm not even through Act 2.

Diablo25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Diablo25 »

I should finally have this game today unless Best Buy.com screwed it up. I hope I like it as much as some of you guys.
PSN Name - EPDiablo25

Leadfoot5
Starting 5
Starting 5

Post by Leadfoot5 »

I went ahead and created a new account here on DSP to match my XBL gamertag since I hope to be playing on-line with you guys as often as possible. (Keep the invites coming Zepp!)

Last night was fun, and Teal and Zepp seem to have the sniper-head-shot skill down pretty good. I took control of the sniper rifle a couple of times and the best I could do was hit thighs, stomachs and shoulders!!! I hope to be a better (more accurate) teammate soon. So far, my best skill is running around like an idiot providing the distraction while my teammates flank for the kill. :)

I've been playing on-line just about every night since the game came out for maybe an hour or two at a time, and I was blown away last night when I saw a map I had yet to play on. I'm really impressed by the number and diversity of the maps.

Al

seanmac31
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by seanmac31 »

It's an excellent, excellent game both single player and multiplayer. That said...I'm more than a little frustrated with the standard issue rifle. I'm a Halo 1-pistol/Halo 2-battle riffle kind of guy, and I like to feel like I can either make a kill or at the very least effectively pin someone down at medium range, but I don't get that feeling with the GOW rifle at all. If I spend my time trying to pick off a player at distance, it just means that someone else is going to sneak up and drop a shotgun in my face. Too much of the multiplayer game seems to revolve around closing to melee distance or grabbing specialty weapons and going to town.

LAking
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by LAking »

seanmac31 wrote:It's an excellent, excellent game both single player and multiplayer. That said...I'm more than a little frustrated with the standard issue rifle. I'm a Halo 1-pistol/Halo 2-battle riffle kind of guy, and I like to feel like I can either make a kill or at the very least effectively pin someone down at medium range, but I don't get that feeling with the GOW rifle at all. If I spend my time trying to pick off a player at distance, it just means that someone else is going to sneak up and drop a shotgun in my face. Too much of the multiplayer game seems to revolve around closing to melee distance or grabbing specialty weapons and going to town.
I tend to agree. I don't think it's terrible but the rifle does feel pretty useless from a distance, but even the shotgun isn't too effective unless you can get a head shot.

I'm pretty pathetic online. I don't know where the sniper rifles and such are located in most of the levels. I need a lot more practice.
"Be tolerant of those who describe a sporting moment as their best ever. We do not lack imagination, nor have we had sad and barren lives; it is just that real life is paler, duller, and contains less potential for unexpected delirium." -Nick Hornby

Zeppo
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Zeppo »

The standard COG rifle, the basic gun in MP, is more like the submachine gun in Halo than the Battle Rifle. The second rifle, the one the locust have in the campaign, is much more effective at a greater distance but doesn't have the buzz saw. There's usually a spawn spot for that rifle. You can definitely take people down from mid-range with the basic rifle in MP, though, but it takes almost a whole clip, or two guys hitting him together.

The shotgun is only useful at all, I find, when really close, pretty much a melee weapon that can counteract the buzz saw. I guess you can knock a guy down with 4 or 5 good, meaty shots from ten feet or so. But, all the projectile weapons do a decent job of supressing people behind cover, even the shotgun can be helpful with this at long range, which is where the fix and flank teamwork of the gameplay really shines. I love blind-firing in this game, and it only works because of the absence of a reticle when you don't zoom in, which makes it hard to aim as it is, and then there's a lot wider spray when you blind fire, as well.

I hate the sniper rifle, even though I finally figured out you could zoom it in with the R-stick, but outside of getting lucky once in a while with someone standing like a statue, I'm not very good with it. It seems far too powerful on some maps also, though not all. I think if they were more liberal with the grenades, it would be more balanced. Maybe there is an option to start with grenades, but I doubt it, as it seems like you can only remove weapons from the list. Either way, I still love the game, and the teamwork aspect is what's so fun about it. That and the Hammer!

Wilk5280
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Wilk5280 »

I got a few invites from people about 3 or 4 nights ago (Zepp, Web, etc) and didn't join. Just wanted to aplogize here, but my friend was over playing at the time and I wasn't in control of the controller so-to-speak.
GT = Wilk5280

ScoopBrady
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by ScoopBrady »

I really like the weapon balance in GOW. It seems as if there's no dominant weapon. Each one has a risk/reward thing going for it. The maps are outstanding as well. You can count me in as being in GOW for the long haul. I can see myself playing this well after the DSP 2-3 week flavor of the now time expires. It seems as if Splinter Cell:DA is in people's tail lights now and I'm not nearly ready to retire that game either.
I am a patient boy.
I wait, I wait, I wait, I wait.
My time is water down a drain.

Zeppo
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Zeppo »

PRBoom wrote:I got a few invites from people about 3 or 4 nights ago (Zepp, Web, etc) and didn't join. Just wanted to aplogize here, but my friend was over playing at the time and I wasn't in control of the controller so-to-speak.
No worries. I'm always spamming anything that moves when we're trying to get a full room! Would love to have you join us sometime, though.

Diablo25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Diablo25 »

Finally got my copy today! Can't wait to fire it up.
PSN Name - EPDiablo25

Fshguy
Starting 5
Starting 5

Post by Fshguy »

ScoopBrady wrote:the DSP 2-3 week flavor of the now time expires. It seems as if Splinter Cell:DA is in people's tail lights now and I'm not nearly ready to retire that game either.
As some of the people here have realized, we need to break now into game nights. This is a great problem to have with too many good games coming out. Wait until Rainbow Six comes out... Hopefully December will be time to come full cycle...

Wilk5280
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Wilk5280 »

My son is trying to play online ranked matches and he cannot connect to anyone. Anybody see this problem?
GT = Wilk5280

RobVarak
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by RobVarak »

PRBoom wrote:My son is trying to play online ranked matches and he cannot connect to anyone. Anybody see this problem?
I've seen people mention that at the Gamers With Jobs forum as well.
XBL Gamertag: RobVarak

"Ok I'm an elitist, but I have a healthy respect for people who don't measure up." --Aaron Sorkin

Diablo25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Diablo25 »

Diablo25 wrote:Finally got my copy today! Can't wait to fire it up.
Damn, this game is impressive. Visually, its the most impressed I've been with a game in a long time (maybe NFL2K5). The game play is intense. It took me about 5 times to get by the first level (I'm on Hardcore). Now that I have a clue on using cover I'm getting better :) WOW.
PSN Name - EPDiablo25

Fshguy
Starting 5
Starting 5

Post by Fshguy »

[quote="Diablo25]
Damn, this game is impressive. Visually, its the most impressed I've been with a game in a long time (maybe NFL2K5). The game play is intense. It took me about 5 times to get by the first level (I'm on Hardcore). Now that I have a clue on using cover I'm getting better :) WOW.[/quote]

Wait until the end of Act 3 and Act 5. Personally, I think it'd be worth it to roll through the game at least once on Casual for the Visual alone.

The cutscenes every time I have to restart was pretty irritating...

BTW, anybody that wants a DOM, I'd be willing to help out now that I've finished the game...