Any Amped 3 impressions?

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

webdanzer
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Any Amped 3 impressions?

Post by webdanzer »

From a distance and as a fan of the first two, I don't know that I like what they seemed to have done with the Amped series. I'm not talking about the trippy cutscenes or storymode, but the gameplay itself. It seems that they've removed some of the realism, made everything 'easier,' and kind of SSX-ified things.

Any impressions on this title, especially from fans of the other Ampeds?

AcemanPR
Starting 5
Starting 5

Post by AcemanPR »

I'm a huge fan of the Amped series as well. Despite the lackluster reviews, I decided to pick this game up too.

Not sure why this game is getting alot of negative press. It plays very similar to the previous Amped games. Amped 2 was easier than Amped, and from what I've played, Amped 3 does seem a little easier than Amped 2. But, it certainly doesn't control or have the insane moves of the SSX games.

The humor is certainly hit or miss. Some of it is very comical, while some of it feels forced on you.

Amped 2 was one of the best looking Xbox 360 games, especially on an HDTV. Amped 3 looks a little better than Amped 2. It won't blow your socks off, but it is certainly a good looking game.

If you are a fan of the previous Amped games, I don't see anything that will keep you from enjoying the gameplay in this game.

Spooky
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Re: Any Amped 3 impressions?

Post by Spooky »

webdanzer wrote:From a distance and as a fan of the first two, I don't know that I like what they seemed to have done with the Amped series. I'm not talking about the trippy cutscenes or storymode, but the gameplay itself. It seems that they've removed some of the realism, made everything 'easier,' and kind of SSX-ified things.

Any impressions on this title, especially from fans of the other Ampeds?
Thank god they did! As I always thought the other two were too cumbersome and too realistic in that sense.

Funny that you posted this as I was just going to PM DBDynsty with my impressions as he had inquired but I will just use this space instead (this is for you DB!).

So far I am having a lot of fun with it but still go back and fourth on struggling with the controls. I just cannot get totally comfortable with them and just feel like I have no idea what I am doing when it comes to pulling off huge points with combos and such. I really wish there was a tutorial mode. I just don’t feel like my input is executed half the time. I can not get a good grip on the butter thing either. But, there is something that still draws me to the game and makes me want to continue to try and get better.

The graphics are decent but not awe-inspiring. What is cool is the presentation. It’s different, and actually entertaining. I also am very impressed with the mountain, course designs. Very well done and the fact that you can edit the courses, freely at anytime is really neat.

The missions are typical Amped style but continue to be interesting and fun for the most part. Again, if I could just have a damn light bulb go off with the controls and not feel like I am fighting with them, the game would be ultra-fun for me. Hell, Tony Hawk games are easier for me to control and pull off big tricks and combos. It is NOT the games fault either really, it is something to do with me and this series in general.

Overall though it is a decent title and will definitely satisfy fans of the series. I will just keep practicing. At least with this version it is not nearly as frustrating as I can still compete and pull off decent scores, just can’t get over a certain level though.
XBL Gamertag: Spooky Disco

fsquid
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by fsquid »

Does it focus on grinds again or is the focus back on the arial aspect.

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Re: Any Amped 3 impressions?

Post by dbdynsty25 »

Funny that this thread started...first let me answer squid:

The game actually is VERY level...there really aren't any types of tricks that are the focus. They did a very good job leveling it out. Given, I'm only on the 2nd mountain, but it's been very even throughout the game thus far. Seems to me they did a pretty good job balancing the Amped fans and the SSX fans. It's not quite as hardcore as the previous Amped titles, and it's not as flamboyant as SSX (especially the last piece of garbage they produced). They did a nice job making it a little more accessible to the SSX crowd, while still keeping the hardcore Amped roots.

As for Spooky...it's funny that you mention that you couldn't get the hang of the controls and still can't. I was chatting back and forth with BK last night while playing some Amped 3 and I mentioned to him that you definitely need to give the game a few hours because it definitely needs to "click" when it comes to the controls. It took me a good 2 1/2 hours to get the feel and learn the speed and rhythm at which to input the commands. Once you get the hang of that, you'll be golden. Obviously that "click" will be different for each person, so I told him not to give up on it if he doesn't "get it" right away.

As for my impressions...

People b*tch and complain about the graphics and most of that is because of the pop-up that takes place. It is being blown WAY out of proportion. What is popping up and annoying people are other skiiers. There are SOOOO many people on the slopes, they couldn't possibly have rendered them all and kept a solid framerate so I understand why they did it. If you're looking at the environments as a whole, it's is absoultely beautiful. Sure, it's not as flashy as some of the other launch titles but it's definitely serviceable and no one is going to think it's a regular Xbox game (unless you're playing on a SDTV of course).

The style used in the game is VERY different. I consider it a pretty good thing. Sure, the humor could use some work...but I seriously laughed my ass off on the first mountain when you're following "weiner boy" in his little clay model cutscene. That sh*t was just horrible and funny at the same time. They definitely tried to be different and they did a damn good job at it. It makes a game that could get boring, just snowboarding, and adds a little flavor and spice to it at the same time.

Speaking of breaking up the snowboarding...I find the sled challenges fun as hell. Nothing like screaming down the mountain in a recliner and trying to inflict as much damage on yourself as possible. Those little missions could really detract from the game if they put in too many of them. As it is, they put in just enough to break up the snowboarding and to create a nice diversion. It's also cool as hell that you can switch over to a sled or a snowmobile at ANY time during the game at any point on the mountain. So if you get bored snowboarding...just break out the saucer sled. Big time fun.

One of the coolest features is the fact that you have to impress the other skiiers on the slopes. Once you get your "awesomeness" meter filled up all of the people on the mountain watch you (you can tell because they have these little yellow eyeballs above them which means they are watching you). When you go by the people with the eyeballs you have to break off some nasty tricks. If you do that, you will get their approval. Obviously if you bail, it's harder to convince them that you truely are awesome. It's just another added little feature that I thought was pretty cool.

All in all Amped 3 is one of my favorite launch games (only behind NBA 2k6). I wasn't really expecting much since all of the review sites just crushed it, but it's been really a damn nice game and a pleasant surprise. I would recommend it to every snowboarding game fan and to all of the Tony Hawk fans. But like I mentioned to BK, you definitely need to give it a few hours so that the controls and the rhythm will click. Once you find that sweet spot, the whole game just opens up and becomes a TON of fun.

I've put in about 7 or 8 hours so far so if you guys have any other questions, fire away. Hope this helps.

Spooky
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Spooky »

Great impressions DB! Hopefully the "click" will happen soon. I am definitely closer to it as I put some time in yesterday specifically to work on it.
XBL Gamertag: Spooky Disco

reeche
Starting 5
Starting 5

Post by reeche »

From someone who never played the original two, I was surprised to find I like this one. I got a free copy of it so that might have something to do with coloring my opinions but I found it to be a fun, original experience. It's pretty bizzare with the storyline but I actually find it compelling in a weird way.
http://www.whas11.com/sharedcontent/VideoPlayer/videoPlayer.php?vidId=49293&catId=49
---Lend a ***** a pencil--- Context?

webdanzer
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by webdanzer »

Great impressions. The buzz was steering me away. I may have to grab this.

Boom
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Boom »

finally able to pick this game up.

Just as I hated the way SSX went with it's new artwork, atmosphere etc, the same holds true for Amped 3.

These stupid cut scene attempts at humor do nothing but bring down my overall impressions of an otherwise pretty fun game.

I've played through the first 2 or 3 acts feel that it's pretty fun on the mountain, but the rest of the BS could have (more like should have) been left out.

I'm not too keen on the new control system as they really seemed to have dumbed it down quite a bit.

I'm still learning, and I am having fun but IMO it could have been so much better. I'm not down with the sled, snowmobiling, etc. I just want to snowboard and beat new high scores, learn new tricks that take some skill to pull off etc.

Graphics have been blown out of proportion. Game is not ugly to look at by any means. It's not Call of Duty level, but they're not bad either.

Right now I'd give it high 7 / low 8 on a scale of 1-10. I'm going to play through the whole thing, which should say something right there.
Last edited by Boom on Sun Dec 11, 2005 5:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

btmmayor
Starting 5
Starting 5

Post by btmmayor »

webdanzer wrote:Great impressions. The buzz was steering me away. I may have to grab this.
I saw on Xbox live that you have been playing this one Web. Any impressions of it? I'm really on the fence with this one and have been waiting for a few more guys to chime in on it before I drop the $50 at Best Buy for it (thanks to those great $10 off coupons on the web).

Boom
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Boom »

I've finally been able to put my finger on what's really bothering me about this game.

All of the score challenges don't give you an entire slope to run. They're all just 30 or 60 second scoring challenges, and even if you're in the middle of a combo when the timer runs out you're done.

I really miss completing an entire run or slope and accumulating my score the entire time. I really wouldn't even mind the 30 / 60 second timed runs for score if you were allowed to complete your combo a'la Tony Hawk when the timer runs out.

The challenges are quite a bit of fun, I just miss starting at the top of the mountain and seeing how many points I can score until I reach the bottom.

I'm currently only in Act IV, so hopefully there are longer scoring challenges that incorporate the entire slope later on.

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

I can almost guarantee that the slope challenges will get harder. Already the totals are going up and eventually they are going to have to incorporate more of the hills. Just be patient. I'm only on Act IV as well...

webdanzer
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by webdanzer »

So far I like but don't love the game. It's very easy to get caught up in running the trails, hitting the various challenges, or just cruising down the mountain working on a mega combo. However, I really don't like the SSX-ish floaty feel to the game, especially where the board meets the powder. I thought it was annoying, but I didn't realize how bad until I popped Amped 2 back in for a little while. You had much sharper control, and a much better feel in Amped 2.

The tricking in 3 is much easier, but linking high scoring combos is still fairly tricky, with rail transfers being the hardest thing to do, IMO, since you have to have your balance just so before trying to switch rails. After you complete certain challenges, your boarder improves, gaining better balance, faster turns, etc. I have about 3 or 4 of these now, and unfortunately for those wanting more of a sim feel, that makes tricking even easier...getting close to the point of flatfooted barrel rolls and back flips, etc.

The execution of the tricks themselves are more 'Tony Hawkish,' too. Where in previous Ampeds you basically combined grabs with holds using simple button presses or stick movements, in Amped 3 you have the BBXXYA + BBA style stuff to execute the more advanced moves. Not nearly as intuitive, but it does open up the move list.

The mountains and trail layouts are awesome...the closest to capturing the 'real' feel of a mountain that's I've seen so far. (Though ESPN snowboarding did this decently in one version too) There is a decent variety in the challenges as well.

I can take or leave the new style and presentation. I actually admire the attempt to do something different. The cutscenes and dialogue are a mixed bag. Nothing has been laugh-out-loud funny yet, but I cracked a smile on occasion. It's occasionally tedious and/or wince inducing though, like late in the show SNL skits. But funny or not each segment runs a bit too long IMO, especially early in the game. The 'style' on the course can be a little overbearing, but you can turn off the 'awesomeness' effects. Stuff like the visuals on challenges such as 'magic circles' can't be turned off, though, so while trying to do some runs you're accosted by distracting, trippy, psychadelic rotations.

The sledding feels very gimmicky, but it's still fun on occasion, although the body crash physics have been done much better in the ATX or similar games. The snowmobiling is a little bit more fleshed out, and is also good for a diversion here and there.

Right now it's serving as a great pick up and play, don't take too seriously title for me. The mountains, the individual challenges, the style...all good to excellent in shorter doses. It's definitely moving away from the previous Amped feel, but it still keeps enough of it to seem like an Amped title...so far.

I agree with Boom, it feels like it could have been so much more, but it's still a fun, diverse game, drifting slowly away from its roots.

Toper
Starting 5
Starting 5

Post by Toper »

Just saw in the latest EGM that there's NO online play for this!?!?! Can anyone confirm?

Thanks,

Toper

Boom
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Boom »

Confirmed

Toper
Starting 5
Starting 5

Post by Toper »

Boom wrote:Confirmed
That sux...guess this one's a rent-first for me.

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

HOLY CRAP this game gets hard. I finally finished the story mode and now I'm going back and trying to finish up all of the challenges. Some of them are a B*TCH to say the least. All in all, it was a damn fun game. Definitely worth the purchase price in my opinion. WOW...one of the first snowboarding games I bothered to go and play through till the end.