FIFA 2003 probably is going back to EB

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

have three really big beefs with FIFA 2003 right now that probably will cause me to return it Wednesday for Unreal Championship for the Xbox:
<BR>
<BR>1. The keeper AI is atrocious. These keepers rush out from the goal line on nearly every cross and on every corner kick. I´m so f*cking sick of seeing CPU strikers simply nudge the ball past a flailing, out-of-position keeper that I need a barf bag. The CPU is almost guaranteed of scoring on nearly every corner kick due to the atrocious keeper AI.
<BR>
<BR>2. The CPU defenders are like Hoovers on the goal line, sweeping a ton of balls away that should be corner kicks for the human team. This problem was very evident in FIFA World Cup 2002, and EA didn´t have or take the time to fix it.
<BR>
<BR>3. I have yet to score a goal off my head. I don´t have as big of a problem with the lack of 100-percent header completion in the midfield that many do, as not all crosses intended for teammates actually arrive at their head. And I do head the ball successfully in the midfield and at the back at times. But it´s damn near impossible to get the ball on your head in the CPU´s box. Head the ball in the net? Fuggetaboutit.
<BR>
<BR>That said, FIFA is an improved game and pretty fun to play. But it´s not worth $50 at all.
<BR>
<BR>I may pick it up in a month or two for $30 online.
<BR>
<BR>Take care,
<BR>PK
"You know why I love boxers? I love them because they face fear. And they face it alone." - Nick Charles

"First on the throttle, last on the brakes." - @MotoGP Twitter signature

XBL Gamertag: pk4425

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

The sources of clarity are sometimes strange in this world (Wow, that was a Jack Handey statement.) After typing my post about FIFA, I wondered again if I was too rash.
<BR>
<BR>So I popped in FIFA 2003 last night and played for about an hour. The same problems bugged me, and, frankly, it wasn´t that much fun.
<BR>
<BR>Then I popped in my Xbox Live beta disc, donned my Xbox Communicator and played Moto GP online for two hours with some very cool dudes. It was a blast.
<BR>
<BR>That fun experience helped illustrate that gaming is all about fun. And FIFA 2003 isn´t that fun anymore.
<BR>
<BR>Take care,
<BR>PK
"You know why I love boxers? I love them because they face fear. And they face it alone." - Nick Charles

Jared
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jared »

PK,
<BR>
<BR>The keeper rush on corner kicks is (I think) because of poor controller mapping and not the AI. The header button and the keeper rush button is the same. So if you try and head a corner kick out, the keeper will come flying out to get the cross...usually, the cross is just out of reach and the attacker gets and easy header towards goal. Try not heading the ball on defense...if the offense tries to head it, it won´t go in because offensive headers are terribly weak (a gameplay flaw, imho). If they trap it, you´ve got a little time to make the tackle.
<BR>
<BR>I haven´t noticed the hoover thing...are you sending lots of through balls to the corner flags?
<BR>
<BR>And headers do suck. I have no idea why they couldn´t just pump up the variable that assigns power to balls deflecting off different surfaces. It´s just another example of FIFA being rushed.
<BR>
<BR>I agree with you on the not being worth $50. But I DO think it´s a huge improvement and worth at least a rent. The improved AI and the great atmosphere make it worth checking it out and deciding whether you should keep it or not.
Forum moderation: DEFCON 2

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

Jared:
<BR>
<BR>Not true on the Xbox. As far as I know, the header button is the Y, and the keeper rush is the left trigger.
<BR>
<BR>And not the head the ball on corners? Well, corners are only headed clear about 90 percent of the time, so I call that a big flaw. Damn, how many corners that are on target in the box hit the ground before a player´s head? Hardly ever.
<BR>
<BR>I´ll try to send more balls to the flags on corners.
<BR>
<BR>Take care,
<BR>PK
<BR>
<BR><font size=1>[ This message was edited by: pk500 on 11-11-2002 12:44 ]</font><BR><BR><font size=1>[ This message was edited by: pk500 on 11-11-2002 12:45 ]</font>