PSP related: version changer possible issue

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

sportdan30
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

PSP related: version changer possible issue

Post by sportdan30 »

Read the following over at Gamefaqs so take it for what it's worth:

Using the version changer, then trying to update the firmware at a later date results in a bricked PSP.

It was on the front page of both pspupdates and psphacks, and probably more sites as well.

The tester ran the version changer, then tried to update the firmware, and ended up with a bricked PSP because the new firmware detected the change and automatically bricked the PSP with a warning message to call Sony Customer Support.

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

HAHA...that's good stuff. Now I'm glad I just upgraded. I wish I could play the NES games again, but I'll just wait till the BREW guys crack it again. Shouldn't be too much longer.

sportdan30
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by sportdan30 »

Personally, I'm starting to grow tired of the emulators. The games I do play such as Galaga can be purchased via the Namco collection. Other games are still enjoyable, but don't keep my interest like they once did. The nostalgia was definitely there, but its waning.

That's not to say I wouldn't put them back on the PSP once 2.0 was hacked, but it's not a necessity as it once was.

fatheadX
Utility Infielder
Utility Infielder

Post by fatheadX »

Are you playing Galaga with the MAME emulator or something else? I couldn't get MAME to work.

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

Plus, as someone said in the other thread (Leebo, Brando, Scoop, someone), the NES emulators were really just a diversion to the lull in PSP gaming. Now with all of the holiday titles coming out, I really have no need to go back to the NES. I would be nice to at least have the option though.

Slumberland
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Slumberland »

Wow, really? I decided earlier today that with Burnout and Madden now out, I would probably never fire up the emulator again, so I updated to 2.0. I had been using WAB's version changer, but made sure to 'change' back to 1.5 and erase the app before updating. Everything's fine on my end.

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

It doesn't update to 2.0...it updates to 1.52...unless you're talking about something else.

Slumberland
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Slumberland »

Yeah, I guess I'm talking about something else. I downloaded the 2.0 updater from Sony's website so I could get the web browser and whatnot. But maybe the 1.52 updater has a security thingmajig that the 2.0 update doesn't have, so it's worth letting people know.

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

Hmmm...maybe that's why I can't find the web browser on the PSP. I'll have to download 2.0 tonight. Do you happen to have a link to it still?

Slumberland
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Slumberland »

Sure thing:

http://www.us.playstation.com/psp.aspx? ... wareUpdate

The browser's not bad, and there are some other nice features like being able to use imported photos as wallpaper. I'd erase any homebrew apps before updating, of course, but I'm sure you'd do that anyway.

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

Yeah, I got rid of all the homebrew stuff already anyway. It was no use after I upgraded to 1.52. Thanks for the link.

Leebo33
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Leebo33 »

Slumberland wrote:Wow, really? I decided earlier today that with Burnout and Madden now out, I would probably never fire up the emulator again, so I updated to 2.0. I had been using WAB's version changer, but made sure to 'change' back to 1.5 and erase the app before updating. Everything's fine on my end.
I upgraded a few days ago as well with no problems. Hell, I wasn't even smart enough to change the version back. The firmware upgrade just showed a message that the PSP was already updated and didn't need it.