OT: Medium Density Fiberboard (MDF)

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

DChaps
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

OT: Medium Density Fiberboard (MDF)

Post by DChaps »

Now this is going to be really OT, but have any of you worked with Medium Density Fiberboard (MDF)? If so, what did you use to seal /paint to reduce the release of urea formaldehyde?

Anyone familiar with the health hazards associated with MDF due to urea formaldehyde continually being released from MDF?

I realized over the weekend that my office, which is right next to my kids room, is filled with both commercial (computer desk, shelves, entertainment center) and home made (table, storage units, etc.) products using MDF.
MDF can be dangerous to use if the correct safety precautions are not taken. MDF contains a substance called urea formaldehyde, which may be released from the material through cutting and sanding. Urea formaldehyde may cause irritation to the eyes and lungs. Proper ventilation is required when using it and facemasks are needed when sanding or cutting MDF with machinery. The dust produced when machining MDF is very dangerous. Masks and goggles should always be worn at all times. Due to the fact that MDF contains a great deal of glue the cutting edges of your tools will blunt very quickly. MDF can be fixed together with screws and nails but the material may split if care is not taken. If you are screwing, the screws should not be any further than 25mm in from the edge. When using screws always use pilot holes. Urea formaldehyde is always being slowly released from the surface of MDF. When painting it is good idea to coat the whole of the product in order to seal in the urea formaldehyde. Wax and oil finishes may be used as finishes but they are less effective at sealing in the urea formaldehyde.
http://www.epa.gov/iaq/pubs/formald2.html

http://www.design-technology.org/mdf.htm

http://sres.anu.edu.au/associated/fpt/mdf/toc.html

http://sres.anu.edu.au/associated/fpt/mdf/enviro.html

PS - Yes, I have posted this at a couple of woodworking and environmental message boards, but I always trust DSP forum members over any other message board. ;)

F308GTB
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by F308GTB »

I have cut MDF before but didn't really give much consideration to the formaldehyde. I imagine the offgassing is very minimal and any well ventilated room is more than OK. I had made some speaker cabinets from MDF and had a wood veneer attached via contact cement. So I guess there's my sealant.

I'm still alive...

RobVarak
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by RobVarak »

LMAO, and I thought bdunn's water heater post was off the beaten track :)
XBL Gamertag: RobVarak

"Ok I'm an elitist, but I have a healthy respect for people who don't measure up." --Aaron Sorkin

DChaps
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by DChaps »

RobVarak wrote:LMAO, and I thought bdunn's water heater post was off the beaten track :)
Yeah, I figured I could beat him for most boring, inane, off-topic post of the year. :)

GridIronGhost
Utility Infielder
Utility Infielder

Post by GridIronGhost »

I have worked with MDF over the last ten years. I would not worry about furniture, shelves, etc. The air pollution you breathe outside is worse. MDF is bad s*** when it's raw, cutting this material requires the same mask as auto body painters use. The dust from cutting this material is very easy to get into your lungs and eyes.
"If I didn't want 50 percent of my income and wanted the government to regulate every aspect of my life, I'd live in California."

Jimmydeicide
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Jimmydeicide »

Im a joiner/ carpenter by trade ,i use it every day.
Cut ,breathe the dust all day every day.
Im still pretty bright although thats up for debate, if ive lost brain cells its not from mdf, or the raw asbestos and lead paint i was exposed to during my apprenticeship in England.

How can i put this, your worrying too much.

But It gets painted with regular water based paint (latex) you could use a laquer based or oil based paint but i fear the worry from fumes in the paint is more warrented than the formaldehyde in mdf.

You better turn in your cell phone while your at it.

I kid you of course im betting there isnt much formaldehyde in it if any any more.

Hope this helped.

Game on, your kids are fine. :wink:
Jimmy.

DChaps
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by DChaps »

GridIronGhost wrote:MDF is bad s*** when it's raw, cutting this material requires the same mask as auto body painters use. The dust from cutting this material is very easy to get into your lungs and eyes.
Yeah, that is something I was very stupid about. My brothers and I spent a Saturday afternoon cutting and sanding that stuff in my garage with no masks. Then later I did more sanding in my office. Next day I am wondering why I am feeling like complete crap.

Hopefully one afternoon of that will not kill me, but my main concern is the potential continual release of the urea formaldehyde.

After my Dad was diagnosed with a brain tumor several weeks ago, a friend of ours refered an Environmental Home Inspections company to take a look at my parents house. They test for Radon, Carbon Monoxide, Electro Magnetic Fields, etc.

Anyway, in hearing some of their concerns I described to them my home office which contains 4 computers with CRT monitors, a 32 in TV (CRT), the washer and dryer, 2 MDF bookselves, MDF entertainment center, 3 MDF computer desks, and a few unpainted/unsealed home made MDF pieces. It also has my Xbox, stereo system and guitar amps, and my PA system. A few nights a week I end up sleeping in this office due to my work schedule differing from my wife and kids sleep schedules. Basically, without doing any testing they told me I am sleeping in a Cancer Box.

They said specific problems were all the electronics, particularly the monitors and the TVs, the MDF (especially the unfinished stuff), and the fact that the room is over the garage. With the washer and dryer up there, we even have a drain from the floor straight down to the garage. It is not wide open, but I am sure it allows for more carbon monoxide to get in then you would want. We don't ever leave our cars idling in the garage, but still.

I am not normally one to get too alarmed or overly zealous on issues like this, but this deal with my Dad has me rethinking many things. More so for my kids and my wifes sake than anything else.

Of course the room has been like this for about 3 years and we have lived in the house for 9. I have not yet hired anyone to come to the house yet for official testing because I have a feeling I would pay a bunch of money to hear that I need to move out and find a new house. ;)

DChaps
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by DChaps »

Jimmydeicide wrote:Im a joiner/ carpenter by trade ,i use it every day.
Cut ,breathe the dust all day every day.
Im still pretty bright although thats up for debate, if ive lost brain cells its not from mdf, or the raw asbestos and lead paint i was exposed to during my apprenticeship in England.

How can i put this, your worrying too much.

But It gets painted with regular water based paint (latex) you could use a laquer based or oil based paint but i fear the worry from fumes in the paint is more warrented than the formaldehyde in mdf.

You better turn in your cell phone while your at it.

I kid you of course im betting there isnt much formaldehyde in it if any any more.

Hope this helped.

Game on, your kids are fine. :wink:
Jimmy.
Thanks Jimmy, I know that it sounds like I am over reacting. I appreciate the insight. Heh, I rarely ever use my cell phone.