Official Madden 2006 Impressions Thread

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

GTHobbes
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by GTHobbes »

kicko wrote:
HipE wrote: The graphics and presentation are really the main things I don't like about Madden 06 on the Xbox.
funny because i had said about 3 weeks ago, and was almost battled for saying something like that because the game was not even out yet, but just knowing EA i knew they would not deliver any better presentation, even if it was listed as a "new" feature, which i don't recall reading off the back cover, just the web site, i used to the fact that sport games don't always look different from year to year.
:) besides looking like 05 i still love the game
I remember reading some pre-release press stuff from EA that talked about "revolutionary new player models and graphics." I don't remember if it was in relation to NCAA or Madden, though. One thing I don't think anyone here would disagree on...EA has the best marketing department of anyone in the industry.

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

Slumberland wrote:I like the fair play stuff online a lot, and the vision cone really seems to help against cheesers as well. I played a guy last night who would just roll out and drop back 15 yards with McNabb every time, I would call a QB spy and he couldn't do diddly. Unfortunately, there's nothing to really force people to finish their games. I had both my opponents quit on me last night. Wimps.

On the Ea servers don't quiters get punished or have a lower credit when they log on next time?

Slumberland
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Slumberland »

Yeah, they do, but a lot of random opponents don't seem to care.

Finally played a full game online, threw for 300 yards with Pennington and shut out my opponent, who refused to establish a ground game. Thing is, he had good results on the two or so running plays he called, but nope, then he goes right back to rolling out and throwing into double coverage. At least he finished the game.

I had good success with the deep ball against him, but one disturbing thing I noticed was that his defensive backs would often slow down as soon as he took control of them, and that was helping me. I remember this being a problem in 2K5 as well, losing pursuit speed when you took over a player manually. Maybe he was just forgetting to press the turbo button.

laurenskye
Starting 5
Starting 5

Post by laurenskye »

unfortunately online might be ruined by the pass/run glitch. If a stranger is killing you and seems to know your play he's probably using it.

HipE
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by HipE »

Slumberland wrote:Yeah, they do, but a lot of random opponents don't seem to care.

Finally played a full game online, threw for 300 yards with Pennington and shut out my opponent, who refused to establish a ground game. Thing is, he had good results on the two or so running plays he called, but nope, then he goes right back to rolling out and throwing into double coverage. At least he finished the game.

I had good success with the deep ball against him, but one disturbing thing I noticed was that his defensive backs would often slow down as soon as he took control of them, and that was helping me. I remember this being a problem in 2K5 as well, losing pursuit speed when you took over a player manually. Maybe he was just forgetting to press the turbo button.
I think your dbs definitely slow down when you take control of them, it is really pissing me off. It has gotten to the point where I'm letting the CPU handle all of the deep passes, because I know as soon as I make the switch the receiver will get an extra step or two on me. Plus, the CPU controlled dbs are able to make the high leaping swats, something I have never once had a db I was controlling do.

spooky157
Starting 5
Starting 5

Post by spooky157 »

laurenskye wrote:unfortunately online might be ruined by the pass/run glitch. If a stranger is killing you and seems to know your play he's probably using it.
EA will definitely fix that soon. That's a gamekiller online.

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

Yeah, I was down 28-14 by the end of a third quarter with this guy who bombed 3 out of his 4 TD. Obviously is a glitch he knew about and too many people are finding about. And that was despite my dime formations and double coverages.

kicko
Starting 5
Starting 5

Post by kicko »

but in situational gameplay doesn't the team know half the time what you might run anyways?? ex. 3rd and long = pass, and it don't matter too much since half the people i play blitz 90% , i'd say even if it's known what your running/passing the play can still be made, thats the beauty of football.

BasketballJones
Mario Mendoza

Post by BasketballJones »

This is typical Madden a good game which is what I think makes it average. Some feel they maxed out on what they can do, but I disagree. They worked on the new passing cone, which is good to add a new feature. If you don't like it turn it off. The running game is improved over last year. Punt return glitch, no big killer. LBs & DBs keeping up with fast WRs I'm not seeing it every play still not a game killer.

My issue is the AI. Defensive AI doesn't adjust to audibles and defense is easy to read as pointed out. Sometimes I'll still force the play and live with the fact the CPU intelligence can't adjust to the pass audible.

This years offensive AI is the weakest I've seen. I'm the Steelers playing the Jets and I have a close game going late into the third quarter. I am up 17 going into the 4th quarter and Pennington passes his way to end zone on a variety of plays, a few runs included, but no long passes. I drive down and am back up by 17. I then expect the Jets to pass. Shotgun formation draw play Martin for 18 yards with around 4 minutes left (good AI call) I thought. Then 3 straight run plays. 3rd and 7 and a run out of the I twin formation. What did EA do hire Paul Hackett as a consultant? I didn't see one long pass playing the Jets I really hope this was a fluke incident.

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

BasketballJones wrote:This is typical Madden a good game which is what I think makes it average.
Huh?

Gangrel
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Gangrel »

Question: When I hot route a reciver to go for first down, by pulling down on my Right stick, I don't see his "line" change on the formation view thing I get by pulling the right trigger. And from what I remember, the reciever doesn't make it to the first down line...... (unless I'm just throwing too early)

Should the diagram change, or does it stay the same while the receiver just runs further?
gamertag: Ace EZ

Once a Dragon, a Dragon for life!

HipE
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by HipE »

The diagram will change to reflect the changed route.

GridIronGhost
Utility Infielder
Utility Infielder

Post by GridIronGhost »

HipE wrote:I think your dbs definitely slow down when you take control of them, it is really pissing me off. It has gotten to the point where I'm letting the CPU handle all of the deep passes, because I know as soon as I make the switch the receiver will get an extra step or two on me. Plus, the CPU controlled dbs are able to make the high leaping swats, something I have never once had a db I was controlling do.
Try using the "D" pad and not the analog stick. I remember this helped in another version.
"If I didn't want 50 percent of my income and wanted the government to regulate every aspect of my life, I'd live in California."

Danimal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Danimal »

Hey Bill,

How is the PC version, I was thinking of picking it up.
Follow Me on:
YouTube - www.youtube.com/maxpixelation/
Twitch - twitch.tv/maximumpixelation
Twitter - twitter.com/maxpixelation

matthewk
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by matthewk »

BasketballJones wrote:3rd and 7 and a run out of the I twin formation. What did EA do hire Paul Hackett as a consultant? I didn't see one long pass playing the Jets I really hope this was a fluke incident.
FYI, I noticed this a couple of times in my games last week. It was an obvius passing situation (3rd and long) and the CPU comes out once in a power I, and another time (different game, differeent teams) in a twin I formation. Maybe it's their way of being unpredictable?
-Matt

Leebo33
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Leebo33 »

Man, this game is so much better after you turn off the commentary and crank the crowd noise.

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

That late game AI definitely needs work.

I'm down 2 with 1:40 left in the game and the AI has the ball and I only have 1 time out remaining. The first play, run. TO...second play, pass. WTF? They could have just sat on the ball for two plays and punted to me with like 10 seconds left. Interesting. I still lost because they completed that pass, but what the hell...if they drop it, I've got a chance.

Dave
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Dave »

db, were you playing the Rams?

Inuyasha
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Inuyasha »

Can someone write down all the Defensive Audible stuff from this years game? I loved this about last years game but looks like some things have been changed this year.

And good point about the sound, I turn it down and listen to some music or radio while playing which makes the game more enjoyable for me.

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

Dave wrote:db, were you playing the Rams?
Nope, the Jets...

Leebo33
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Leebo33 »

Weaver2005 wrote:Can someone write down all the Defensive Audible stuff from this years game?
It's not the same as a handy-dandy cheat sheet, but I printed this out:

http://www.gamefly.com/products/detail. ... 4630&tab=5

Dave
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Dave »

dbdynsty25 wrote:
Nope, the Jets...
Darn, if Martz was the coach, it could be considered realistic!

spooky157
Starting 5
Starting 5

Post by spooky157 »

dbdynsty25 wrote:
Nope, the Jets...
Herm Edwards is notorious for his poor clock management. The Jets even hired an assistant to deal solely with clock management. The Jets lovingly refer to him as "Father Time".

MizzouRah
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by MizzouRah »

Was that on All Pro? I haven't seen that on AM yet.

Slumberland
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Slumberland »

I'm having a really good time online with this one. For starters, it's less of a chore to play the 4 minute quarter ranked games than it is to slog through offline franchise games for an hour at a time. And the propensity for human error makes things much more interesting. I'm usually an offline guy, but with the fairplay stuff and the passing cone, it's even become sort of fun to dismantle the cheesers. From my experience with random opponents, it seems there are a lot of BALLERZ who suddenly don't possess the SKILLZ they thought they once had.