Any interest here in Delta Force: Black Hawk Down?

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

Spooky
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Any interest here in Delta Force: Black Hawk Down?

Post by Spooky »

I guess it comes out today or tomorrow. Team X-Box gave it a solid 8.0. I like their reviews too.

It could be interesting...or it could be just another shooter. Wish it was less that $50. It seems more like a $30-$40 title to me.
XBL Gamertag: Spooky Disco

Boltman
Starting 5
Starting 5

Re: Any interest here in Delta Force: Black Hawk Down?

Post by Boltman »

Spooky wrote:I guess it comes out today or tomorrow. Team X-Box gave it a solid 8.0. I like their reviews too.

It could be interesting...or it could be just another shooter. Wish it was less that $50. It seems more like a $30-$40 title to me.

Is this the one that has the 30 plus (forgot the amount) players online at once?

If so, I may be picking this up.

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

At $30, I'm interested.

At $50, no way, especially with new versions of two proven UbiSoft franchises -- Ghost Recon and Rainbow Six -- and Battlefield 2 due in the next few months. Plus I'm having too much fun with Rivals online and NCAA 06 offline to play much of anything else these days.

I'll rent to play with some DSP cats who have it, but it will have to blow me away -- excuse the pun -- for me to even consider a purchase. You never know, as I expected little from Close Combat: First to Fight and ended up buying it.

Take care,
PK
Last edited by pk500 on Tue Jul 26, 2005 12:35 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"You know why I love boxers? I love them because they face fear. And they face it alone." - Nick Charles

"First on the throttle, last on the brakes." - @MotoGP Twitter signature

XBL Gamertag: pk4425

Zeppo
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Zeppo »

Reading that review got me very interested in trying this one out. I have a few games wasting space on my shelf that I would love to trade in, but I haven't felt the pull to get anything new. That review got me to thinking this might be that game, this or maybe Pirates.

But I want to play it with a bunch of DSPers. It would be so great to be in a big, 50-player room with a good knot of 8-12 DSPers on the same side. The review made the game sound so good, right up until the last 'summing up' paragraph. Suddenly the reviewer sounded very unimpressed with the 2+ year old base game.

EDIT: One thing I liked hearing was how there are any number of map variants, specific to both game type and room size. That kind of scaling and game-type specificity is a clear indication of a well-tuned multiplayer.

I don't know. I would be willing to throw these trade-ins towards a purchase if there will be some DSPers to join up with tonight. Worst case, I trade it in when the GR2 expansion comes out.

Spooky, you with me? Let's give it a shot. . .

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

The PC version was too linear and rather short. If they price it right and add a few different levels, it could be a keeper.

Zeppo
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Zeppo »

10spro wrote:The PC version was too linear and rather short. If they price it right and add a few different levels, it could be a keeper.
I don't think I have much interest in the single-player beyond monkeying with the controls. I'd be getting this for its unique XBL gameplay (Macs in this house, so no PC gaming for me).

Zeppo
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Zeppo »

No one? No one is curious enough to try this one out with me? :cry:

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

Come on over to Rivals, Zep. We'll make you feel better, you dick. :)

Out,
PK
"You know why I love boxers? I love them because they face fear. And they face it alone." - Nick Charles

ScoopBrady
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by ScoopBrady »

Well, it's a first-person shooter. It's on the Xbox. I have a subscription to Live. I have $50 credit at Gamestop. I'd be willing to give it a go. I've been craving a military shooter and the thought of 30+ players on a map is intriguing to say the least.
I am a patient boy.
I wait, I wait, I wait, I wait.
My time is water down a drain.

Boltman
Starting 5
Starting 5

Post by Boltman »

I'm sold, I'm going to give it a go as well, if worse comes to worse and I dont like it then I'll just give it to my son (GT is SD Kev).

He loves FPS, and tends to dominate in em' online.

I wish I had his mad thumbstick skills heh.

Zeppo
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Zeppo »

Alright then, reluctant adopters. I too will give this a go. If I don't like it or we never get any big DSP games going, I will trade it towards the cheaper GR2 expansion, which I'm going to get anyway. . .

I have a feeling Tuesday nights are going to get going here again someday. Maybe not soon, but someday. Like 2050 or something.

EDIT: Ugh. Forget I said anything. It's not in stores until tomorrow, and I don't know if I'll get a chance to play it until . . . Friday maybe? I may end up getting it tomorrow, but won't guarantee it.

Sorry for the tease. Looks like Rivals for me tonight!

Talamius
Mario Mendoza

Post by Talamius »

I'm going to pick this up with some trade-ins today. Forza will probably go because I lost interest once I had all the best cars :(

I assume there's interest around here in Ghost Recon 2? If I get enough credit I may pick that up as well. I figure a large group of us could jump in a 50 player BHD server and do some damage though :)

Edit: Glad there's a split screen co-op campaign also. My son enjoys what he calls "soldier" games so we'll be able to play through it together.

Sully
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Sully »

I plan to pick it up as well. I'm a sucker for military-type shooters.

ScoopBrady
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by ScoopBrady »

Talamius wrote:I assume there's interest around here in Ghost Recon 2? If I get enough credit I may pick that up as well.
Wait until the GR2 expansion pack comes out next month. Everyone will shift to that one when it's released.
I am a patient boy.

Talamius
Mario Mendoza

Post by Talamius »

Went and picked up Black Hawk Down (last copy for either system, whew). Also had enough store credit to preorder GR2 Summit Strike.

Millennium
Panda Cub
Panda Cub

Post by Millennium »

I am picking it up as well today...

Spooky
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Spooky »

Picked it up today as well...I'll be checking it out online tonight around 9:00pm Central or so.

Boltman
Starting 5
Starting 5

Post by Boltman »

I'll be purchasing it tomorrow after work, to busy today with my "Honeydew" list this afternoon.

New Tivo DVR for the living room (original one pooped out, DirecTV is sending me a new one).

Garage door opener acting whacky.

Fridge went out, putting in a new compressor (yes it is the compressor that crapped out).

Reasigning all the season pass shows from the living room to the bedroom till our new DVR comes in.

Clean up all the mess from the fridge crapping out (all the meat and chicken in the freezer dripped blood out of the fridge....yuck).

I may play a little NCAA just to relax after I pick up my daughter from school, just to relax from all this s***.

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

I will rent the PS2 version first as I prefer my 1st person shooters with the PS controller, however it seems that the Xbox version is a much bigger game than the PS2. Waiting for some impressions for those of you that have tried both versions.

Spooky
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Spooky »

Played it for about 20 minutes last night. My first imressions are not good. All sessions were laggy with most of them popping a connection error every 5 seconds or so.

-Graphics are sub-par at best.

-Gameplay seems totally routine and bland.

-I don't know what the hell made me think that being in a session with anyone other than a few DSP buddies and some others from my frinds list (with a possible stranger or two mixed in) would be fun. This game could have 100 players and it would still be filled wth 90% sh*tstain f*ckheads!

-Maps seem average.

-Interface seems clunky.

This game should definitely be a $19.99 budget title. The presentation is totally outdated and the gameplay is WAY to run-of-the-mill. Maybe I am missing something and perhaps playing with other DSP buddies will reveal a decent game, but for now I am not impressed.

ScoopBrady
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by ScoopBrady »

Any other thoughts on this one fellas? I was going to pick it up yesterday but ended up staying at work late. I was going to pick it up this weekend but want to hear more impressions. Now I'm leaning towards not picking it up.
I am a patient boy.

Zeppo
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Zeppo »

Well, my window for getting this game was Tuesday. I had hoped to get some time in with other DSPers that night, having been excited by the review at TeamXbox.

Now, I don't think there's much chance of me getting this game. Judging from Spooky's comments, I am a bit relieved I didn't buy it. Thanks Spooky!

I'll just get the new GR2 next week (?) and look for some Tuesday Poker Night Shoot-em-ups.

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

Zeppo wrote:I'll just get the new GR2 next week (?) and look for some Tuesday Poker Night Shoot-em-ups.
Zep:

I'll probably be onboard with you on GR 2: Summit Strike. My initial skepticism has changed to anticipation after watching some videos and reading some developer interviews. The promise of more open maps turns me on.

Plus it's $29.99. Not a bad deal.

Looking forward to it.

Take care,
PK