Friendly MVP PSP Discussion

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

Leebo33
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Friendly MVP PSP Discussion

Post by Leebo33 »

LOL. No talk of MLB or "bait and switch" here.

I found out how to change pitchers while batting. Oddly enough, it is in the batting/baserunning menu when you are batting and the pitching/defense menu while pitching. It seems silly to have an option to warm up pitchers in the batting options and why have it in two places, but I'm glad it's there.

One of the things that bothers me most is the insane amount of button presses I have to perform tasks. To change a pitcher, it is start, pitching options, change pitcher, highlight old pitcher, highlight new pitcher, I think there is a substitution complete message, start again, and X to skip the cutscene. 7 or 8 button presses to change a pither and that's not counting the button presses on the Dpad. That's ridiculous and if EA was truly customizing MVP for PSP then that is something they should have addressed immediately with a better menu from the select button.

In another thread Scoop wrote:
I'm still seeing a huge descrepency between User sliders and CPU sliders. The cpu still belts them out of the park way too much even after severely lowering CPU contact and power while my batters are stifled after slightly lowering User contact and power.
I'm finding the game too homer friendly, especially for the CPU, as well. I am even using camera 3 to pinpoint my spots. You can't even dare to pitch in a hot zone. If you miss the meter spot then 8/10 times it is a double, triple, (ugh...just like 2004 I give up 1-4 triples a game), or HR. I'm finding that you can get the CPU to chase pitches out of the strike zone and I like the challenge, but it's not realistic.

I'm still having fun with the game. I'm actually seeing the CPU steal at a realistic pace. I also like how they will try to draw a throw. I still get that "anything can happen" feeling like I do with MVP 2005. It also helps getting used to the controls. I've made some awesome and memorable plays in the field using the right trigger/analog nub.

MizzouRah
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by MizzouRah »

Yeah, I do miss the way it's so easy on the console version of MVP 2005 to warm up pitchers, make changes, etc.. That's my only huge gripe thus far.

I do remember you have to press up more often in 2004 to get homers and what not.

I'd say MLB and MVP are about even par.. it's definitly personal preference, I just like the batting/pitching in MVP.

Todd

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

Good idea Leebo for starting another MLB thread. Hopefully, those with a big EGO won't bother expressing their insecurities & hurt feelings here.
Regarding bringing a menu during gameplay to change pitchers maybe EA & Sony could use the select button to bring those options or maybe the left shoulder button? But I guess if you have runners on, it would be odd.
How about using a direction button?

ScoopBrady
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by ScoopBrady »

10spro wrote:Hopefully, those with a big EGO won't bother expressing their insecurities & hurt feelings here.
Well, that's not a good start.

I'm really struggling with this game and at this point I feel that MVP PSP = Corey Patterson. Corey is a player who a lot of people in the Cubs organization and many Cub fans have high expectations for. Corey shows flashes of fulfilling those expectations followed by stretches of disappointing performance. When I boot up a game of MVP that's exactly what happens for me. There's innings where I'll feel like MVP PSP is a good game followed by innings where I'm disappointed in it. This is all within the same damn game too.

I haven't given up on it as there's still sliders to mess around with but one hurdle I'll have to jump is the fielding. I don't know whose bright idea it was to map throwing to the cutoff man and switching outfielders to the Left trigger but they should be punished. There's been countless times where a ball in the gap turns into a triple or inside the park homerun because I instictively start pressing the Left trigger to preload my throw and I end up switching my outfielder. Another problem I have with the fielding is the fact that if a cpu controlled fielder makes it to the ball before I do he just stands there instead of picking up the ball. Argh!

I hope I can get used to that and find a way of lowering CPU homeruns or else this game just won't last for me. At this time I think MLB PSP is the better of the 2 PSP baseball games.
I am a patient boy.
I wait, I wait, I wait, I wait.
My time is water down a drain.

Leebo33
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Leebo33 »

Fielding in MVP PSP is indeed a mixed bag. The hit variety and more flexible control makes it fun, but the execution leaves something to be desired. I find that the I have way too slow rollers get through the infield, bloopers fall in, or doubles turn to triples because either the CPU didn't give me the right fielder to control or because of poor control in general. On-the-other hand, I truly love it when I make great plays in the field because *I* did it. It wasn't due to ratings only (although they matter) and how the game wanted the animations to play out. I had perfect timing on a dive last night on a rocket to short with the infield in. I also made a great play on a ball down the line at third where I took an extra half second to right myself before rifling a perfect throw with the meter.

I switched to the aerial view and it is a mixed bag. I really don't have as many problems with switching players, but it is hard to judge how far some balls are off the ground.

MizzouRah
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by MizzouRah »

I love the zoom camera, but then again I have assissted fielding on. I like having the true ratings matter in that reguard.

I just can't hit in MLB near as well as MVP - I strike out tons more in MLB than I have with MVP.

Todd

Leebo33
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Leebo33 »

MizzouRah wrote:I love the zoom camera, but then again I have assissted fielding on. I like having the true ratings matter in that reguard.
Do you just make the throws with assisted fielding?

Pete
Starting 5
Starting 5

Post by Pete »

Leebo33 wrote:
MizzouRah wrote:I love the zoom camera, but then again I have assissted fielding on. I like having the true ratings matter in that reguard.
I was just going to advise Scoop on maybe trying a different mode of defense. That is what saved last years game for me (on the Xbox) as any ball in the gap was a sure triple just because of the jump I had (or, really, didn't have)and the problem with switching players when fielding.

Sure, you lose some control, but it made the game much better.

MizzouRah
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by MizzouRah »

Leebo33 wrote:
Yes. Makes the game go faster as well. :)

Todd

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

I just can't hit in MLB near as well as MVP - I strike out tons more in MLB than I have with MVP.

On MLB if the CPU is 2 strikes on you, be patient, the 3rd pitch is almost certainly a ball. Being patient is the key in this game.

Leebo33
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Leebo33 »

I'm going to have to break my own rule because I don't feel like starting a new thread. No wonder some people got confused about MVP PSP. Look at the front PSP page at EB games:

http://www.ebgames.com/ebx/categories/h ... efault.asp

I'm surprised EA hasn't told them to fix it :wink:

I actually haven't been playing much baseball on the PSP lately. I got sick of giving up 3 or 4 homeruns a game in MVP or striking out 10-15 times in MLB. :lol:

Slumberland
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Slumberland »

Wow, that is nuts... they even advertise Hitter's Eye!

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

At least Andruw is on the page...lol.

Leebo33
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Leebo33 »

I know I'm probably the only regular poster that is playing the game, but I thought I would post in case there are lurkers playing or someone picks the game up on the cheap someday.

I had been plagued by freezes so much that I thought about returning the game last week even though I was enjoying it. About 1/3 of my games were ending in freezes. All of my freezes were in the 8th inning or later when the CPU made a substitution. I read on Gamefaqs that the freezes were caused by skipping the cutscenes too quickly and that appears to be true. Starting in the 8th inning I just let any cutscene or popup message that could be remotely related to a substitution play without skipping. My eyes may be deceiving me, but it appears as if something on the screen flashes behind the "substitution complete" message. After you see that you can hit the X button and it will not freeze. It seems odd, but I played a lot while traveling this week and it didn't freeze once.

Leebo33
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Leebo33 »

BTW, even though the game has some significant flaws, I still see at least one or two things new every game (animation, ball bounce, situation on the basepaths, error, etc) that keeps me coming back for more. That's probably the biggest strength of the MVP engine. I'm getting a ton of variety on the field and in the linescore. I've tuned it to where I get realistic results, but yet a lot of game variety. Unfortunately, there really isn't much you can do with the MVP 2004 engine to get walks.

GTHobbes
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by GTHobbes »

thanks for the updated impressions, Leebo. I never did pick up MVP for the psp but have been wondering what you guys thought after some more time with the game. I'm pretty sure we'll see the same engine used for a college game on the psp somewhere down the line.

Leebo33
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Leebo33 »

GTHobbes wrote:thanks for the updated impressions, Leebo. I never did pick up MVP for the psp but have been wondering what you guys thought after some more time with the game. I'm pretty sure we'll see the same engine used for a college game on the psp somewhere down the line.
I can't blame anyone for not picking it up because there are so many flaws. It's a tough game for me to recommend to anyone even though I am enjoying. MLB is a much more polished game on PSP and I look forward to next year's version because I think they could be a few tweaks away from being great and being a true High Heat replacement.

b_assassin
Panda Cub
Panda Cub

Post by b_assassin »

After struggling with hitting on MLB, I picked up MVP for the PSP a few days ago. I've only played a few games, but the flaws certainly do stand out. Load times, slow menus and transitions, as well as gameplay issues/bugs inherited from MVP 04 are abound. Its not all bad though, it is still an all-around decent baseball game, especially for a handheld.

MVP is definitely NOT worth $50, so unless you hate MLB or are dying for a baseball game on the PSP, save your money. Cheers.

snate
Starting 5
Starting 5

Post by snate »

Leebo33 wrote: I've tuned it to where I get realistic results, but yet a lot of game variety.
Leeb,

I gave in and picked it up today. Please share your setings.

Leebo33
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Leebo33 »

Keep in mind that I suck...LOL

Off the top of my head:

Pro Level, no pitch cursor, pitcher view on mound, hot zones on

Common: Baserunning speed +10, pitch speed -50, catch errors +20, outfielders speed -10 (unless I have manual defense on in which I give myself a +10 boost), throw accuracy -5

CPU: -35 power (started at -50 and working my way back to default as I improve)

Human: -25 power, contact +10 (just because I never get any walks and need a few more runners), pitch fatigue -15 (you have to throw balls to get the CPU out and not give up 3-4 HRs a game)